Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 28, 2021 4:07 pm

Gilks, John. Get those two then for me onto new players. I know we want deals for Delaney and a Brockbank but Gilks and John are essentials. Ryan and Harry will be good ones but perhaps if they can’t agree terms we can find better.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 28, 2021 4:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:07 pm
Gilks, John. Get those two then for me onto new players. I know we want deals for Delaney and a Brockbank but Gilks and John are essentials. Ryan and Harry will be good ones but perhaps if they can’t agree terms we can find better.
I think we can find better players than Brockbank, but we may struggle to find anyone as genuinely versatile. I'd say he's an important one for the squad, even though he isn't for the 11, if you see what I mean. He's the sort of player that allows you to cope with a genuine injury crisis.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri May 28, 2021 5:15 pm

New three-year contract for Evatt.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:47 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:41 pm
MIDDLESBROUGH release Britt Assombalonga, Ashley Fletcher, Marvin Johnson, Jordan Archer and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
Ha, can you imagine Assombalonga in League One? Not a chance in hell, though. I'd not mind seeing Ash being looked at. He has the physicality some have called for off the bench and he's got connections to the club. League One is probably his level.
Fletcher is signing for Watford. Baffled that anyone could’ve thought we had a chance there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 28, 2021 6:09 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:15 pm
New three-year contract for Evatt.
Yeah it’s good stability. Right time to do this too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Spending like a man with no arms....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Based on comments from the players, the mood in the club seems ultra positive. Has to be done,I know, but it seems harsh breaking up such a together squad. Ah well, onwards and upwards. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 28, 2021 8:06 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 pm
Fletcher is signing for Watford. Baffled that anyone could’ve thought we had a chance there.
Fair comment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 29, 2021 12:41 pm

" I only wanted Bolton..." claims Dapo...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -west-ham/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 29, 2021 2:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:41 pm
" I only wanted Bolton..." claims Dapo...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -west-ham/
Sensible lad who is likely getting good advice from his agent. We're one of the biggest clubs in league one and the media will cover us because there's a narrative about our fall from grace and recovery. He knows he has a good chance of playing most games, developing and even if he doesn't take us up he has a good chance of getting a much better contract offer in 12 months than he would have had now. If he can take us up in a season or two then he'll also probably get new terms here and then a shot at getting to the Prem.

It's the same reason we should be attractive to a lot of players and hopefully we will see more of that type. Young, talented, ambitious and with something to prove. Bring on the summer. The Euros and a chance at a very good window. Glorious.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 29, 2021 7:32 pm

I'll randomly put this here.

Was at Bromley v Notts County at lunchtime. Liam Trotter playing for the Ravens and Adam Chicksen for the Magpies. Nice.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun May 30, 2021 6:38 pm

I just watched the L1 Playoffs Blackpool prevailing over Lincoln. Based on what I saw, we can match the football played with our style, however, we are physically much weaker. One thing is clear to me, we need to add to our squad bigger, stronger players who can both play and tackle to be able to successfully compete at the top end of L1 or else we will be run over by the freight trains like Blackpool.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 30, 2021 8:53 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:38 pm
I just watched the L1 Playoffs Blackpool prevailing over Lincoln. Based on what I saw, we can match the football played with our style, however, we are physically much weaker. One thing is clear to me, we need to add to our squad bigger, stronger players who can both play and tackle to be able to successfully compete at the top end of L1 or else we will be run over by the freight trains like Blackpool.
Yeah. It’s power, strength and pace that gets upped big time in this league. I agree we need to add considerable physicality. Kioso would be good for that reason.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 30, 2021 8:54 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:38 pm
I'm kind of torn on this one. On the one hand I totally agree with you. We absolutely could use some physically imposing players to give our play another dimension. Just adding Kioso last year gave us a totally new way to get at teams when things were not working. On the other hand, I don't think the 11 that finished the season was miles off physically, with probably only Thomason, Izzy and Doyle not being able to go shoulder to should with the kind of players they'll be up against 1-on-1 in League One.

I think our biggest issue next season will be technical. We were probably the best footballing side in League Two by the end of the season, but we got away with a lot of misplaced passes and poor touches that we will be punished for in League One - not just because those physical players you mentioned will be onto us faster and with more effect, but also because we will be playing teams who will break our press. With how we play, our chances of winning games will be helped hugely if we can add technically better players.

So I agree, physicality = good. I think technicality = vital, though. Not flashy, "look at me I'm a baller" stuff, but we need lads who can take a ball in under pressure and reliably find the correct foot of a moving player 20 yards away through a press. The number of times we broke down last term because a ball was 5 yards off where it should have been, or a touch took the ball 5 yards too far out was too many for me to keep up with. If we can add that AND some physicality then we'll go up, for my money.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun May 30, 2021 9:01 pm

When you say add these qualities and we'll go up, which players do you consider to be already good enough for a league 1 promotion winning team?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 30, 2021 9:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:01 pm
When you say add these qualities and we'll go up, which players do you consider to be already good enough for a league 1 promotion winning team?
I think we could do ok but I think promotion talk is very premature. I suspect it will be tough to finish mid table but I agree with Evatt we have to aim high.

I note the club and IE have cut out all the HMS piss the league nonsense this time and it’s very much more grounded and sensible. Which is encouraging.

Football is a funny game though the right player or two can raise a side with good spirit right up a league.

I did look at the final today and think the pace and power is up a level to what we’ve played this season. For me it’s less about technical ability and more that players can do things quicker and under greater pressure and at greater pace.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 30, 2021 9:15 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
If you take them out of this team and just randomly put them in an 11, not many. With the development work done and playing the way they have been...the back four as a unit if not as individuals, Williams, Sarce, Dapo (probably) and maybe Doyle if he's got more physicality supporting him to make space - but we probably need better.

I think this team is better than the sum of its parts, so I'm more concerned by what tools we are missing to win games than by where each individual player measures next to the best players in the league in his position.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 30, 2021 9:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:15 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
If you take them out of this team and just randomly put them in an 11, not many. With the development work done and playing the way they have been...the back four as a unit if not as individuals, Williams, Sarce, Dapo (probably) and maybe Doyle if he's got more physicality supporting him to make space - but we probably need better.

I think this team is better than the sum of its parts, so I'm more concerned by what tools we are missing to win games than by where each individual player measures next to the best players in the league in his position.
They’ve won a lot of tight games against teams in league two. But can we do the same against teams who can match us to for toe? We will find out. But I reckon we are 4 or 5 short of first team choices assuming John and Gilks sign.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 30, 2021 9:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:07 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I think we could do ok but I think promotion talk is very premature.
It's extremely premature and will require us doing extraordinary things in the transfer market. What I would say is that I regard getting promoted next season as an easier job than getting promoted last season was, as funny as that sounds. Only because I think Evatt had to do an incredible job last term to go up, which he did.

There are lots of players in the UK who are good enough to do well in League One. The issue has always been getting managers at this level who can tell arse from elbow and attracting players to your club. We have a manager who can do the job and we are a big club at this level, so we have a shot.

I don't think it is likely we will go up. I do think that it is realistic, even if unlikely. Last term I saw it was unrealistic, but just about doable if the manager played a blinder. We were a basket case this time last year - that is no longer true.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Sun May 30, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 30, 2021 9:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:18 pm
They’ve won a lot of tight games against teams in league two. But can we do the same against teams who can match us to for toe? We will find out. But I reckon we are 4 or 5 short of first team choices assuming John and Gilks sign.
I'd say we are 3 short of competing well every week and 4-5 short of having a real go at it, yeah. I'd say we also need a much, much stronger bench. Also assuming John and Gilks stay. Saying that, I think Gilk's weaknesses will be more evident next season. He's proved me wrong before, though, so fair play to him. I think Gilks and Baptiste's experience saved us so many times, but that they were able to cover for their aging bodies (Gilks not coming to claim balls he would have gobbled up 5 years ago, for example) in situations they may not get away with in League One. No issue with either starting, but we will lose more points because of those issues, as you'd expect going up a league.

This was rather the point I was making. If we can add physicality and quality then we're not in a situation where a poor manager, poor dressing room or lack of familiarity are going to hold us back. If we end up attracting some of the better players in the division then I think we've a real chance.