Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:02 pm
It was interesting to hear Evatt say recently that he thinks we have the ninth or tenth highest budget in the league this season.
Did he? Interesting…

https://twitter.com/BBCRMsport/status/1 ... 06628?s=19

It might have been more of an off-the-cuff guesstimate rather than a comment to be taken literally, but I'd imagine he'd have a good idea of where we're at.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:43 pm

Seems about right to me. Splitting the division into rough categories for budget based on wages paid in recent seasons and transfer activity this summer - I think we're probably somewhere towards the lower end of those 'decent budget' teams.

Big Spenders
Ipswich
Sunderland
Wigan

Decent Budget
Charlton
Lincoln
Portsmouth
Sheffield Wednesday
MK Dons
Rotherham
WANDERERS

Average
Fleetwood
Plymouth
Doncaster
Oxford
Shrewsbury
Crewe
Gillingham
Wycombe

Low
Wimbledon
Burton
Accrington
Cambridge

Tiny
Cheltenham
Morecambe

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 am

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -big-step/

Back to agreeing with Evatt. You can’t carry people who don’t work off the ball. Though his example of Gazza is wide of the mark as he was a grafter and an all round midfield player. But the general point is right.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 am

Whilst you can’t disagree in principle with IE, you do have to sometimes allow for the exceptional. Ivan Klasnic was hardly a workhorse but I’d have him in my side any time for his goal scoring. Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best and many others weren’t revered for their work rates but you couldn’t argue against their contributions. I think if you get the majority of your players grafting, you can allow for one or two who don’t as long as their contribution makes up for it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:27 am

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:02 pm
It was interesting to hear Evatt say recently that he thinks we have the ninth or tenth highest budget in the league this season.
Did he? Interesting…
Indeed. I mean, how might he know? Am I missing summat obvious? And might it not be a little more prudent to play the penury card?

I know Evatt likes to 'give it the big one', but there's a time and a place!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 am

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 am
Whilst you can’t disagree in principle with IE, you do have to sometimes allow for the exceptional. Ivan Klasnic was hardly a workhorse but I’d have him in my side any time for his goal scoring. Jimmy Greaves, Georgie Best and many others weren’t revered for their work rates but you couldn’t argue against their contributions. I think if you get the majority of your players grafting, you can allow for one or two who don’t as long as their contribution makes up for it.
Oh, there are folk amongst our number who'd have David Reeves ahead of Nathan Blake on that score.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:12 am

Really? Burke before my time but we’ve not had many better than Nathaniel Blake when his head was right. Power and pace, always thought he went on the cheap when he went but his head had gone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 am
Klasnic is a good example. Evatt would have to sacrifice his whole pressing game to get him in. And frankly the game has just moved on. You need 11 working in and out of possession now. Teams just don’t carry passengers anymore the days of letting Le Tissier do nowt most weeks but then bang a 30 yarder in are gone in the modern game especially if you want to buy into the way IE and modern managers want to play.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am

Ameachi needs surgery…could well curtail his loan as it was only till Jan anyway?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:00 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am
Ameachi needs surgery…could well curtail his loan as it was only till Jan anyway?
Possibly but IE isn’t saying so.

“We are obviously one light now in that position and we may be a tad light there anyway, so we’re looking but we’re not going to rush into things. We have to make sure it’s right.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... r-amaechi/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:00 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am
Possibly but IE isn’t saying so.

“We are obviously one light now in that position and we may be a tad light there anyway, so we’re looking but we’re not going to rush into things. We have to make sure it’s right.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... r-amaechi/
Given Politic's return and Darcy playing from the left and the general adaptability we've shown in the past few games and Baka's ability to play from the right too...we should ensure IF we get anyone its quality. We have numbers. We have bodies. We have players we can try in these areas. But we probably lack proven quality.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am

Agreed. We are in the general lull. Most transfers happen early or late in the window. My worry (while agreeing with you) is that if we don’t get anyone till near the Aug 31 deadline, it might take another month to get them up to IE’s standards of fitness, let alone content downloading… by the end of September we’re 10 (league) games in…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:41 am

It does feel with the injury that we're maybe one or two quality folks light. The problem as I see it is we might be fairly limited, should the "step-up" that we're heavily reliant on, doesn't occur.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm

When I look at the attacking areas of the squad and specifically at league one assists and goals - at this level I'd say you've got proven quality in Doyle, Sarcevic (though noted his attacking stats are much lower than league 2) and Delfouneso. Delf probably isn't the player he was. After that Darcy and Politic have far better league one stats than Isgrove and of course Afolyan is untested as is Ameachi really.

So I'd say that Politic and Darcy are worth a try. Obviously we're looking at prem and champ loans and anyone we bring in will be younger and untested but they need quality. Because I feel we've enough throughout the side of experience at this level and also evidence they can step up. But going forwards is less certain - for sure - when you think Politic and Darcy (on a smaller sample granted) probably look more capable than most.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm
When I look at the attacking areas of the squad and specifically at league one assists and goals - at this level I'd say you've got proven quality in Doyle, Sarcevic (though noted his attacking stats are much lower than league 2) and Delfouneso. Delf probably isn't the player he was. After that Darcy and Politic have far better league one stats than Isgrove and of course Afolyan is untested as is Ameachi really.

So I'd say that Politic and Darcy are worth a try. Obviously we're looking at prem and champ loans and anyone we bring in will be younger and untested but they need quality. Because I feel we've enough throughout the side of experience at this level and also evidence they can step up. But going forwards is less certain - for sure - when you think Politic and Darcy (on a smaller sample granted) probably look more capable than most.
Yeah, it's an interesting one. Given finances – ours and the Champo's – I think we're more likely to borrow a Promising Youngster than an experienced, expensive outcast who had one good season when David Cameron was prime minister.

The signings of Kieran Lee (who let's face it was a big injury risk) and Marcus Maddison (who let's face it had flopped elsewhere and, bless him, didn't work out here) might have given the impression that there's dozens of these types waiting to be plucked. There might be one or two more Declan Johns, curiously frozen out. But while we might pick up more MJs, talented players whose careers had stuttered through form or fitness, I think we're more likely to hire more Dapos – promising but unproven kids.

And as you say, on that shelf we have a couple of our own; the question has to be, how much better are the potential loanees who we'd have to give up? Yes, two loanee wingers hit double figures for play-off contenders last year, but how many didn't, and arguably thus thwarted homegrown potential?

Such are the balanced decisions managers must make...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting one. Given finances – ours and the Champo's – I think we're more likely to borrow a Promising Youngster than an experienced, expensive outcast who had one good season when David Cameron was prime minister.

The signings of Kieran Lee (who let's face it was a big injury risk) and Marcus Maddison (who let's face it had flopped elsewhere and, bless him, didn't work out here) might have given the impression that there's dozens of these types waiting to be plucked. There might be one or two more Declan Johns, curiously frozen out. But while we might pick up more MJs, talented players whose careers had stuttered through form or fitness, I think we're more likely to hire more Dapos – promising but unproven kids.

And as you say, on that shelf we have a couple of our own; the question has to be, how much better are the potential loanees who we'd have to give up? Yes, two loanee wingers hit double figures for play-off contenders last year, but how many didn't, and arguably thus thwarted homegrown potential?

Such are the balanced decisions managers must make...
If you can bring a better player in then I think that's all you worry about. But I think often you think they are better but they are not. End product is our big weakness and I guess its hard to judge a younger player's potential here.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 pm

Sully Kaikai got himself a club yet?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 pm
Aye, he's signed for Wanderers. Wycombe Wanderers.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 pm

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I thought he might have landed a bigger gig but I suppose as a relegated side, they've a realistic chance of being one of the front runners this season.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 pm
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I thought he might have landed a bigger gig but I suppose as a relegated side, they've a realistic chance of being one of the front runners this season.
They also put up a decent fight against relegation - after losing their first seven league games, they only went down on the last day (final nine: W5 D2 L2). Also very settled off-field and inspired by a beloved manager.