Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm
Totally agree on the depth point. Seems to me that when with everyone fit 10 of the 11 picks itself (Dixon, Jones, Santos, Johnston, John, MJ, Sarc, Sheehan, [x], Doyle, Dapo).

Outside that list there's only really Baptiste and Lee who could come in for the above and I wouldn't think "oh feck that's a weakness".

Guess it takes time and a few windows if you haven't got tonnes of money to chuck at it.
I think with current injuries, Isgrove more than gets the "x"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm
Totally agree on the depth point. Seems to me that when with everyone fit 10 of the 11 picks itself (Dixon, Jones, Santos, Johnston, John, MJ, Sarc, Sheehan, [x], Doyle, Dapo).

Outside that list there's only really Baptiste and Lee who could come in for the above and I wouldn't think "oh feck that's a weakness".

Guess it takes time and a few windows if you haven't got tonnes of money to chuck at it.
On the depth - TBF that's probably the unmentioned players letting themselves down on their cup auditions.
• Gilks was a key player but has started this season like a man in a daze.
• Brocky has to prove he's more than a mascot.
• Gordon has talent but lacks belief IMO.
• Tutte doesn't really fit the new midfield template (in which MJ is paramount) but is still worth having around.
• Thomason is young but needs to kick on to stay relevant, and might need a spring loan (in D4) to do so.
• Isgrove is, IMO, deserving of a place in "your" XI - partly because nobody has grabbed his spot but also because he keeps improving.
• Delf - I hope last night's goal is a sign rather than a blip.
• Aimson, Lee, Amaechi, Bakayoko injured; Kachunga tiptoeing towards fitness.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:50 pm

I'd also say that some (not all) of the issue with the squad depth is down to how we've started the season from a setup point of view.

We're playing a 4-3-3 on paper but its probably a hybrid of a 3-4-3 4-3-3- system. It places a lot of emphasis on the full backs getting forward to add width the 'wide men' in the front 3 often tucking in and getting onto the back post, MJ playing almost alone in the centre of the park at times and dropping into something closer to a back three at times especially when the CB's pick the ball up. Sheehan and Sarce are making a lot of forward runs and playing in and around the box and their presence and quality high up the pitch allied to stretching teams with the full backs is why I think we're scoring more - generally.

But that system is specific to having full backs good at driving forwards - John and Jones both good at that. And being able to get back too - also not giving the ball away too much as that makes their role hard. Our cover in Gordon and Brockbank are for differing reasons less suited to such a role. Gordon can adapt through his pace - but prefers to cut inside than go on the outside and Brocky for all his willingness is a physically slight CB who could maybe play as a more conventional RB (say in a parky side) but looks pretty underwhelming trying to bomb forwards. Tutte and Thomason equally probably can play a more conventional midfield role but neither have the quality going forwards of Sheehan/Sarce nor the physicality and read of the game MJ does in that pivot role, nor if we're honest the passing range. Santos is critical because he heads a lot of stuff but also can stride out of the back four/three and that is fairly unique. Dapo and Issy are very suited to the wide men roles in this system and of course Baka when fit offers the point of difference and especially the target for the switch from the back four or MJ.

But when you look at it overall - you see that had we setup in a more conventional 4-3-3/4-5-1 way that Thomason and Tutte might be fine to fill in midfield roles similar to the ones they performed last season. Brockbank might be fine if he's a RB who raids forward without being expected to be the major outlet for the side. Gordon similarly on the left. You see Delf struggle more in this system IMHO than the roles he had last year because last year he was a central striker playing behind Doyle, then from the left, then a number 10. In all those roles he primarily had to offer a bit of height, running power and do a fairly basic thing. Its clear his form dipped but when we look at the Dapo and Isgrove role now they are playing in quite a clever way dropping into holes and leaving space - with all the will in the world I think Delf is a bit blunter than that. Still effective in a more direct team but probably not as effective as Bakayoko who also offers that option.

We're playing in a way that does create some critical roles that are arguably harder to fill than just getting a league one standard player in them. Perhaps we'll be adaptable and over time find a few ways of playing that negate some of the obvious critical players we may lose for (hopefully) brief periods.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:49 pm
Sorry guys, tried to amend my original comment but it’s applied both. Then tried to delete but either I’m thick (probable) or there wasn’t an obvious way to!! 😩
No bother. I realised what you'd done and deleted one thread. If you want to delete, just click on the X on the top of the post/duplicate you want to delete. .

Thanks Tango, I’ll remember that in future. 😵💫

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:45 pm

It's been six weeks since Xavi 8) did his toe. He should be "back on the grass" soon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:45 pm
It's been six weeks since Xavi 8) did his toe. He should be "back on the grass" soon.
Not the grass that matters, sadly.

Latest update (Aug 30) from BN on Amaechi and Bakayoko is "both expected to be side-lined until October at the earliest".

However, on Aug 22 Iles said Amaechi would be "sidelined for at least another couple of months."

Indeed, on Aug 19 Iles quoted Evatt: “We hope he will be back before January and we’d like to keep him for longer but there are a lot of things that have gone into the deal. Xav himself sacrificed a lot of his salary to come here.There are conversations to be had, and they have started, but right now he needs to focus on his rehab and we will give him all the support he needs.”

Recuperation targets can change but personally I've written off Bakayoko for another six weeks (more for full fitness) and Xav, well, I reckon we might have advent calendars up before he starts again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:45 pm
Not the grass that matters, sadly.

Latest update (Aug 30) from BN on Amaechi and Bakayoko is "both expected to be side-lined until October at the earliest".

However, on Aug 22 Iles said Amaechi would be "sidelined for at least another couple of months."

Indeed, on Aug 19 Iles quoted Evatt: “We hope he will be back before January and we’d like to keep him for longer but there are a lot of things that have gone into the deal. Xav himself sacrificed a lot of his salary to come here.There are conversations to be had, and they have started, but right now he needs to focus on his rehab and we will give him all the support he needs.”

Recuperation targets can change but personally I've written off Bakayoko for another six weeks (more for full fitness) and Xav, well, I reckon we might have advent calendars up before he starts again.
Does seem like quite a long wait for a metatarsal break. Obviously we don’t know the full details. But sure 8 weeks was normal for these. Guess might be a worse break than usual.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:20 pm

I know he had surgery. I don't know if that's typical for a broken metatarsal or an indication of a particularly bad break, though.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:37 am
Going off the list Joe Dodoo is a free agent. 20 games for Wigan last season 4 goals 3 assists.

Surely he'd be a reasonable option for a deal till January - can play a few roles in the front 3?

I get he might want a long deal or too much - but I'd rather have Dodoo as an option whilst Baka and Xav are getting fit and Kacha up to speed than nothing.....
Signed for Donny.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Not-so-young-anymore Sturridge - free agent :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:12 pm
Not-so-young-anymore Sturridge - free agent :)

This is a strange one, you’d think Sturridge would be quickly snapped up by a Championship club but like Wilshire as well nothing has happened. Are they expecting more money than people are prepared to pay or is it just an anomaly that maybe we could take advantage of? I’m sure IE and CM must have looked into it but obviously for whatever reason haven’t jumped. I have to say that if it was doable with Sturridge, he would be an incredible asset.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:21 pm
Are they expecting more money than people are prepared to pay or is it just an anomaly that maybe we could take advantage of?
Puzzles me equally. I wonder what their agents have told them - bide your time and, as an unattached free agent name your price?
I'd have thought that's a particularly risky strategy.

At what point does the reality of earning nowt-a-week strike home?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Think they both got name checked in an interview with Evatt but in a jokey we're not really in for them way.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Sturridge is training with Marbella, Wilshere has been training with Como

Nice places to keep yourself busy

In other news, Huddersfield have released winger/forward Isaac Mbenza - didn’t quite overlap with Markham but I must admit it did make me think…

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:23 pm

In other news, Huddersfield have released winger/forward Isaac Mbenza - didn’t quite overlap with Markham but I must admit it did make me think…
Cold Tuesday night in Rotherham etc etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:50 pm

Do they not need to have been released Pre deadline?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:50 pm

Not sure - don’t think so or why would he have taken a pay cut?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:22 pm

I *think* BWFCi is right. On the pay cut, there are still places where the window is open (e.g. Turkey but I assume others) where he could sign. The rule at least *was* that you had to have been released before the transfer window of the club you signed for had shut.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:50 pm

Not sure - don’t think so or why would he have taken a pay cut?
I mean we don’t know if they paid him off or what. I always thought once window passed if a player was then released he couldn’t sign anywhere to stop back door deals. In other words Man Utd pay Spurs money to release Kane to sign him outside the window.

I always thought your registration as window closed couldn’t transfer until next window. Maybe I’m wrong though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Meanwhile, Big Wheats was spotted by Our Kid at Penrith Centre Parcs last week.

End of the road?