Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:50 pm
Looking up Jackson on Transfermarkt and he's actually played most of his career on the left side of midfield (though this was non league) and is playing for Huddersfield's reserves in CM. Now Evatt doesn't strike me as the sort to sign a LB and play him elsewhere. But wonder if he's seen as some cover for LB/RB/midfield - a versatile player the manager knows and likes? I could see a role in an Allardyce side ala Robbie Elliot but I'm just not convinced IE is really into utility players?
Good question. I think he likes that MJ Williams can drop back in between the two centre-backs, and like most modern managers he doesn't mind someone who can play "across the front". He's also said he picks Brocky on the bench because he can cover three positions (although Johnston's LB/CB flexibility reduces that need).

But in general no, as you say he seems to want experts. Remember all that "position-specific" data stuff last summer?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:58 pm

I rate Jackson a lot and would have liked to bring him back if we hadn't got John, but as is I don't see the logic in it. I'd be slightly disappointed if that were the only move we made.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:02 pm

Aye, I'm not sure he's signing players on the basis they can cover several positions, but I think it affects choices on the bench, which makes sense.

For me the worrying areas are RB (I like Jones, but I think he could be improved on - Kioso for example) and I'm far from convinced Brocky can do that job over a period of time), and cover for MJ. Beyond that I think we're broadly fine and this could be a case of a good player being available. Assume it would be a loan, but from memory he's out of contact in the summer and did look to have the potential to go a lot higher, could be a case of signing the right player when they become available even if it's not an immediate priority.

Less likely, could be John is playing through pain and needs surgery (though it was Johnston that came off for Baps on Sat, not John).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:02 pm
Aye, I'm not sure he's signing players on the basis they can cover several positions, but I think it affects choices on the bench, which makes sense.

For me the worrying areas are RB (I like Jones, but I think he could be improved on - Kioso for example) and I'm far from convinced Brocky can do that job over a period of time), and cover for MJ. Beyond that I think we're broadly fine and this could be a case of a good player being available. Assume it would be a loan, but from memory he's out of contact in the summer and did look to have the potential to go a lot higher, could be a case of signing the right player when they become available even if it's not an immediate priority.

Less likely, could be John is playing through pain and needs surgery (though it was Johnston that came off for Baps on Sat, not John).
Kioso better than Jones? Give over, Kioso was great going forward but could not defend to save his life.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:12 pm

Gudnisson Trotter wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:09 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Kioso better than Jones? Give over, Kioso was great going forward but could not defend to save his life.
Nah for me Kioso was outstanding. He played as a wing back but I'd have him at RB any day of any week. He's played CB for Luton in a back three this season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:12 pm
Gudnisson Trotter wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Nah for me Kioso was outstanding. He played as a wing back but I'd have him at RB any day of any week. He's played CB for Luton in a back three this season.
When they lost 5-0? :D

(I’d welcome him back)

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 pm

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gudnisson Trotter wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

(I’d welcome him back)
Well they took him off after 28 minutes in the 5-0 to accomodate a change to a back four. It was 2-0 at the time.

He also played there full game at Barnsley where Luton won 1-0.

I'd eat my arms for Kioso - sadly not happening.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Ben Jackson rumored, fantastic if true, much better than John. Need another RB though and a maybe a 9 too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:30 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:28 pm
Ben Jackson rumored, fantastic if true, much better than John. Need another RB though and a maybe a 9 too.
Based on what? IE clearly doesn't think so as after Morecambe he put John back in.

So I think its an odd one personally unless as others have suggested John has an injury we don't know about.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Well they took him off after 28 minutes in the 5-0 to accomodate a change to a back four. It was 2-0 at the time.
Bet that's on his clipreel :mrgreen:

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 pm
Saw this fella mentioned in despatches this morning - 5ft 11in centre-forward ("Nonsense!"), 27 yrs old, 29G 11A in 169 third-tier games for Pompey and Brizzle Rovers

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:31 pm

Iles suggesting the Ben Jackson thing isn't happening and is 'old news' on his blog.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:41 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bet that's on his clipreel :mrgreen:

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 pm
Saw this fella mentioned in despatches this morning - 5ft 11in centre-forward ("Nonsense!"), 27 yrs old, 29G 11A in 169 third-tier games for Pompey and Brizzle Rovers
And, most importantly, Welsh!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Iles also saying “the wheels will be turning during the game” - always suspected that getting it done early was hopeful

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:56 pm

I’d take Jackson back but only because I think John is injured / injury prone and Jackson a massive improvement on Gordon. You could even play John ahead of Jackson if we were short on left wingers .

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:56 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:26 pm
Elsewhere, Sunderland still desperately trying to offload for nothing the striker they bought for £4m *while in this division*
Grigg? Bloody hell,didn't realise they'd shelled that out!

Watch the episode of ‘Sunderland Til I Die’ on Netflix, when they’re bidding for his services. :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:37 pm

MEN: "United are not planning to let anymore of their youth players leave the club on transfer deadline day. The club had been inundated with transfer enquiries about their hottest young talents throughout the window, but United are not planning to sanction any further deals as things stand."

Only City player I can see being mentioned for a loan out is Tommy Doyle (grandson of Mike Doyle, Glyn Pardoe and presumably two women), a holding/box-to-box midfielder, but he's being chased Benny Hill-style by a number of Champo clubs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:40 pm

I’m starting to get the feeling we will be ‘going with what we’ve got’.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm

Ellis Harrison, isn’t this just yet another journeyman player and don’t we already have enough of those? Come on Ian, if it isn’t a really good, head turning signing just don’t bother and let’s stick with what we’ve got.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:49 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm
if it isn’t a really good, head turning signing just don’t bother
Blimey! You don't want much do you?! Doyle and Sarc aside i cant think of many recent signings that have made me turn my head.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"