Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by brommers95 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:05 pm
Brommers' recommendation Josh Sheehan is playing well in the play-off semi-final, spreading the play nicely. I think he's out of contract in the summer.
Yeah thought he showed some nice flashes of quality and composure on the ball in a completely bonkers game. I think he’s definitely good enough to play in L1 and I imagine if Newport lose next weekend he’ll look to sign for a team in a higher division.

Forest Green’s Udoka Godwin-Malife is another player that deserves to be playing at a higher level and I hope he’s on Evatt’s shortlist of names. One of the best ball playing CBs in L2 this season, can play RB as well and has only just turned 21 so still time to develop. The result tonight might make him more likely to leave for a team higher up the pyramid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Had a bit of a dig into Sunderland's contract-lapsers. What's interesting is that a lot of them played a lot of games this season; most aren't fringe players, but with Lee Johnson only being hired in December he may want a clearout this summer. Certainly the fans seem to, but the decision may rest with Sunderland's "sporting director" Kristjaan Speakman, who's in charge of hiring and firing – Johnson is merely head coach. Sunderland have until Wednesday to tell the EFL their retained list, although clubs are under no obligation to publicise their decisions.

I've listed the lapsers below in descending order of games played this season.

Charlie Wyke
(CF, 28) - 53 games, 30 goals. Already discussed above - maybe too one-dimensional, almost certainly too expensive.

Max Power
(CM, 27) - 52 games, the amusingly-named Scouser is “likely to be released” according to fan site Roker Report. Although mainly a central midfielder, he's played in all sorts of positions including right-back during his 250+ third-tier games.

Josh Scowen
(DM, 28) - 50 games. Ex Barnsley & QPR; 136 Champo games, 102 L1. Hard-working tough-tackler described as "better than League One" by QPR's Loft for Words fanzine but might need regular football, and that's a tough slot to break into at ours.

Grant Leadbitter
(CM, 35) - 46 games, “likely to be released” (RR), but surely too old for us.

Lee Burge
(GK, 28) - 45 games. Johnson’s first choice keeper from his first game in charge (ending Remi Matthews’ mini-run in the team).

Luke O'Nien
(D/M, 26) - 44 games. Midfielder, centre-back, right-back and podcaster; they’ll surely try to renew but he might now want to play in tier two.

Chris Maguire
(RW, 32) - “likely to be released” (RR) - too old?

Aiden McGeady
(LW, 35) - 35 games, too old

Denver Hume
(LB/LM, 22) - 27 games: out with a hammy for middle third of the season. Local lad, seems popular. I imagine they’ll renew.

Callum McFadzean
(LB/LM, 27) - 25 games. “likely to be released” (RR). Promoted as Plymouth’s left-sided wingback; can also play LB but was benched for a spell late in Sunderland’s season. Evatt wanted him last summer but Phoenix f**ked it up. Sunderland fans think he's out of his depth and while they're often hysterical, it's possibly true that he's more of a fourth-tier player.

Conor McLaughlin
(RB, 29) - 25 games, “likely to be released” (RR). Belfast-born six-footer who can also play centre-back, but has had injury problems this season. Ex-PNE, Fleetwood and Millwall, he's played 175 games in L1 plus another 39 in the Champo.

Jordan Willis
(CB, 26) - 17 games before a ruptured tendon; Johnson said at the time he wanted him to stay.

Remi Matthews
(GK, 27) - 11 games, “likely to be released… has constantly dropped clangers” (RR). Been on bench for most of season. Obviously we know him from his time here: good shot-stopper (which might be more important next season) but somewhat erratic.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 24, 2021 1:09 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if we went for McFadzean again. No to Remi Matthews from me...we need to look forwards. That clanger at Wigan lives with him I am afraid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 24, 2021 1:13 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:43 pm
Forest Green’s Udoka Godwin-Malife is another player that deserves to be playing at a higher level and I hope he’s on Evatt’s shortlist of names. One of the best ball playing CBs in L2 this season, can play RB as well and has only just turned 21 so still time to develop. The result tonight might make him more likely to leave for a team higher up the pyramid.
FGR have wasted no time in announcing their released/retained list, and UGM is among the four who have been offered contracts – but could be tempted to jump a division if we're interested.

Offered new contracts
Aaron Collins (age 23, CF/AM; 50 games, 11 goals this season)
Udoka Godwin-Malife (21, CB; 50 games)
Lewis Thomas (23, GK; 17 games)
Taylor Allen (20, LW; 8 games)

Released
Adam Smith (28, GK - loaned to Yeovil)
Chris Stokes (30, LB; 38 games)
Shawn McCoulsky (24, FW, 2 games)
Scott Wagstaff (31, RM; 37 games)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 24, 2021 1:15 pm

I think all those Sunderland players are either wildly too expensive OR not really what we're looking for.

Obviously be far far too much but even at 35 any league one team including ourselves would be mad not to take McGeady. Be ideal as a sub to come on and change games and his set pieces are way better than anything we've got. Be far too much money of course but he's Sunderland's best player by a mile. 14 assists this season which is right up there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 24, 2021 1:18 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:43 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:05 pm
Brommers' recommendation Josh Sheehan is playing well in the play-off semi-final, spreading the play nicely. I think he's out of contract in the summer.
Yeah thought he showed some nice flashes of quality and composure on the ball in a completely bonkers game. I think he’s definitely good enough to play in L1 and I imagine if Newport lose next weekend he’ll look to sign for a team in a higher division.

I know this sort of thing triggers some but do you think he's big enough to be a centre back in what is a more physical and direct league one than league 2? I just look at the way Sunderland played, Accrington at Pompey final day and you need to deal with a lot of aerial stuff. And that's my worry for Baps - he at times struggled with the bigger more physical types in league 2. Santos no issue but given we might have not the biggest full backs I think another centre half who is able and comfortable against height is better. I thought the lad looked good on the ground last night but more suspect in the air.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:18 pm
I know this sort of thing triggers some but do you think he's big enough to be a centre back in what is a more physical and direct league one than league 2?
Interesting. In various quotes collected by Ilesy since promotion, several players seem convinced the next tier up will be a blessed relief and "more suitable" for our team; partly the pitches, partly the fact we won't be The Big Team, but they also mention how they're expecting less long-ball stuff - Sarce even talks about every D4 team having a long throw.

It's perhaps one for Brommers' number-crunching as to whether our new division (or teams within it) will be more or less long-ball. What I would say is that the players are better. From what I saw this season in D4, many is the gormless hoof towards a player not good enough to do anything with it; a division up, the hoof might be less the gormless, and so might be the recipient.

As a comparison from another time, someone on here (might have been you, BWFCi) noted how in our first game back *down* in D3, Parky's debut v Sheffield United, their strikers missed two or three good chances before we scored; it was noted that Champo strikers would have gobbled those up and we'd have been 2-0 down by half three. Promotion brings a problem that relegation doesn't – a step change in improvement of opposition, when last season's title rivals are suddenly the games you most expect three points from. To bring it back to your point, BWFCi, one worry might be that while most D4 opponents weren't good enough to expose Baps and Rico, leading to an increasing sense of invincibility, those in the third tier might prey on weaknesses.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I know this sort of thing triggers some but do you think he's big enough to be a centre back in what is a more physical and direct league one than league 2?
Interesting. In various quotes collected by Ilesy since promotion, several players seem convinced the next tier up will be a blessed relief and "more suitable" for our team; partly the pitches, partly the fact we won't be The Big Team, but they also mention how they're expecting less long-ball stuff - Sarce even talks about every D4 team having a long throw.

It's perhaps one for Brommers' number-crunching as to whether our new division (or teams within it) will be more or less long-ball. What I would say is that the players are better. From what I saw this season in D4, many is the gormless hoof towards a player not good enough to do anything with it; a division up, the hoof might be less the gormless, and so might be the recipient.

As a comparison from another time, someone on here (might have been you, BWFCi) noted how in our first game back *down* in D3, Parky's debut v Sheffield United, their strikers missed two or three good chances before we scored; it was noted that Champo strikers would have gobbled those up and we'd have been 2-0 down by half three. Promotion brings a problem that relegation doesn't – a step change in improvement of opposition, when last season's title rivals are suddenly the games you most expect three points from. To bring it back to your point, BWFCi, one worry might be that while most D4 opponents weren't good enough to expose Baps and Rico, leading to an increasing sense of invincibility, those in the third tier might prey on weaknesses.

Yeah I remember when we went down to league two the analysis was they all play football down here and it’s not as long ball punt as you think.

Doesn’t necessarily need to be ‘long ball’ either just increased physicality. Not sure Sunderland played direct all season but they did for a period Saturday and I guess it’s where you don’t want teams to target as it’s a relatively easy way to cause trouble if you struggle aerially. My guess would be that however you cut it more goals will be scored by headers or as a result of second ball knock downs than from intricate play round the box in league one.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 24, 2021 2:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah I remember when we went down to league two the analysis was they all play football down here and it’s not as long ball punt as you think.
No, the analysis (here) was that the previous season, three of the top four possession-based teams went up. However, it was also noted that long-ball Northampton went up in the play-offs. That's different to "they all play football", in that it's far more nuanced.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Mon May 24, 2021 2:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

No, the analysis (here) was that the previous season, three of the top four possession-based teams went up. However, it was also noted that long-ball Northampton went up in the play-offs. That's different to "they all play football", in that it's far more nuanced.
I didn't mean on here just generally players, manager etc saying how its a division where good football is played and its not all kick and rush like you expect.

I don't think style comes into it much however Sunderland played up to the box many of their goals were from McGeady crossing for Wyke to score. Physicality in your centre halves is going to be important and I'd say more so than pace or ball playing skills in league one. Championship and obviously premiership that starts to change.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Yeah, fair. As I say, teams who *do* play that way - maybe not all of them, and maybe not all the time - will have better crossers and better recipients than some of the hapless lads we faced this season. Put it this way: Santos looked a class above in D4 but if the big man retains his POTY award then I will acquire a hat, simply to doff it to him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Oh, there's lovely iss'n' it, Cobber. Gethin Jones signs a new two-year deal. I believe the apposite phrase is 'fecking get in!!!!!' :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 pm
Oh, there's lovely iss'n' it, Cobber. Gethin Jones signs a new two-year deal. I believe the apposite phrase is 'fecking get in!!!!!' :D
Yeah, I'm pleased with this one. I think most of us took a while to warm to the idea of Gethin as our starting RB even in League 2, but he really grew throughout the season and ended up being at least a solid 7/10 every match. The new contract is definitely deserved, and I think he's at least earned a crack at starting for us in the higher division.

Not an out-and-out speedster, but quick enough, generally solid defensively, and became increasingly effective going forward as the season progressed. Also works incredibly hard and clearly has a great attitude. I think he's got plenty of scope to keep improving, as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 25, 2021 6:47 pm

Properly decent fella, adaptable, still only 25. He'll do for me for now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 25, 2021 8:36 pm

I like Jones even though his crossing can be frustrating. But he’s absolutely rock solid and dependable and a good age. The sort who can absolutely grow with the club.

Very good to tie him down.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 25, 2021 8:40 pm

Best thing about the Jones news is his interview - he knows full well it’s his final ball that needs improving. He’s going to work at it I think. Good news.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue May 25, 2021 9:33 pm

Good news on the contract extension for Jones. He's definitely deserved the extra year. Hopefully he can make the step up and deliver in League One.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 25, 2021 9:41 pm

Sunderland have offered new deals to Aiden McGeady, Luke O’Nien and Denver Hume, remain in talks with Charlie Wyke over an extended deal, and have triggered a one-year option for Oliver Younger.

They're releasing Callum McFadzean, Chris Maguire, Conor McLaughlin, Grant Leadbitter, Max Power, Josh Scowen and Remi Matthews. Quick primer-reminder of who they are - maybe Brommers can add more if he thinks any are suitable.
Mon May 24, 2021 1:00 pm
Max Power
(CM, 27) - 52 games, the amusingly-named Scouser is “likely to be released” according to fan site Roker Report. Although mainly a central midfielder, he's played in all sorts of positions including right-back during his 250+ third-tier games.

Josh Scowen
(DM, 28) - 50 games. Ex Barnsley & QPR; 136 Champo games, 102 L1. Hard-working tough-tackler described as "better than League One" by QPR's Loft for Words fanzine but might need regular football, and that's a tough slot to break into at ours.

Grant Leadbitter
(CM, 35) - 46 games, “likely to be released” (RR), but surely too old for us.

Chris Maguire
(RW, 32) - “likely to be released” (RR) - too old?

Callum McFadzean
(LB/LM, 27) - 25 games. “likely to be released” (RR). Promoted as Plymouth’s left-sided wingback; can also play LB but was benched for a spell late in Sunderland’s season. Evatt wanted him last summer but Phoenix f**ked it up. Sunderland fans think he's out of his depth and while they're often hysterical, it's possibly true that he's more of a fourth-tier player.

Conor McLaughlin
(RB, 29) - 25 games, “likely to be released” (RR). Belfast-born six-footer who can also play centre-back, but has had injury problems this season. Ex-PNE, Fleetwood and Millwall, he's played 175 games in L1 plus another 39 in the Champo.

Remi Matthews
(GK, 27) - 11 games, “likely to be released… has constantly dropped clangers” (RR). Been on bench for most of season. Obviously we know him from his time here: good shot-stopper (which might be more important next season) but somewhat erratic.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 26, 2021 7:54 am

I would say though in an ideal world we need another dedicated right back to challenge Gethin. Not sure we will have space for that in the squad though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 26, 2021 8:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:54 am
I would say though in an ideal world we need another dedicated right back to challenge Gethin. Not sure we will have space for that in the squad though.
Think we could use challenge to both Jones and John (if he re-signs)...