Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:17 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:58 pm
The centre backs' ability on the ball was absolutely critical to everything we did in the second half of last season. The number of times Santos got us in by driving forward or took the ball through the press and found a pass was beyond counting - as was the number of times Baptiste found himself almost playing as a winger when he burst forward. When we were under pressure, Santos and Baps knocking it about at the back took the sting out of games.

What I will say is that Aimson is a better defender than Santos, if we're talking just reading/timing/decisions etc. Santos is just a technical and physical beast for a centre back.

Santos stepping up and dominating in the air in the 10 position was vital for us, though and that's a question mark if he gets injured. Johnston is 6'1" and aggressive, though, so maybe he is athletic enough to do that too - I honestly don't know.
Three stats sites list Johnston as 1.81m which puts him at 5ft 9.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:17 am
Three stats sites list Johnston as 1.81m which puts him at 5ft 9.
If you've typed it into google it will have said "181cm = 5.938 feet" but that's not 5'9", it's 5 feet and 9/10 of a foot plus a bit....so 5'11".

However, the lad is 186cm, which is 6'1".

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:55 am

Basically, Johnston is exactly the same height as Ruben Dias. Also worth noting that this is Aimson stood next to Danny Mayor, who is supposedly 6'.

Now Plymouth's website lists Aimson as shorter than Mayor by a distance (5cm or roughly 2"), but having worked at a football club that work is usually given to a junior and they take the data off the internet rather than from a club medical. Hard to say, but he looks tall enough in that picture and when watching him in games on TV.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 am
Dapo (potential second forward)
I've been thinking about this since I read it and whilst I think he could do it to a degree, Dapo strongly reminds me of Diouf. He's that sort of player that wants to be able to spin off markers and into space in the half positions from wide, rather than go inside to out and make attacking runs. I think he'll end up as that sort of wide playmaker who is tasked with winning free kicks and finding runners.

He played '10' against Scunny and although he did okay I felt like his inability to isolate markers made him much less effective over the 90 minutes than he is coming from a wider position.

He even gets players sent off like Diouf used to.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 am

No offence taken, ICB. Ghost - a good comparison; maybe yer man should’ve called Dapo “BTEC Diouf” instead... if he has the same effect on the team we’ll be alright, when I interviewed him Allardyce was momentarily lost for words to describe Diouf, pausing for a second before spluttering “the Magic Man” in what looked like genuine awe.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 am

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 am
No offence taken, ICB. Ghost - a good comparison; maybe yer man should’ve called Dapo “BTEC Diouf” instead... if he has the same effect on the team we’ll be alright, when I interviewed him Allardyce was momentarily lost for words to describe Diouf, pausing for a second before spluttering “the Magic Man” in what looked like genuine awe.
If we could get good at attacking set pieces then I think Dapo's ability to draw fouls would be worth 4-5 goals a season. The trouble we have at the minute is he takes a lot of hits and wins corners....then nothing happens. Diouf was key to how we played under Sam, because he was the outball; but also because he was worth 'x' goals per season from set pieces he won.

Dapo's potential in that area needs to be seen. I think he was the most fouled player in the league last season and second for dribbles. That's without a preseason.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:50 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:55 am
Basically, Johnston is exactly the same height as Ruben Dias. Also worth noting that this is Aimson stood next to Danny Mayor, who is supposedly 6'.

Now Plymouth's website lists Aimson as shorter than Mayor by a distance (5cm or roughly 2"), but having worked at a football club that work is usually given to a junior and they take the data off the internet rather than from a club medical. Hard to say, but he looks tall enough in that picture and when watching him in games on TV.
I mean if you want to know how reliable the immediate Google result is, while double-checking the heights of the centre backs, Google suggested I might want to know Ronan Darcy's height which it had as 189cm, or 6'2".

Ronan is not 6'2".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:50 am
I mean if you want to know how reliable the immediate Google result is, while double-checking the heights of the centre backs, Google suggested I might want to know Ronan Darcy's height which it had as 189cm, or 6'2".

Ronan is not 6'2".
I honestly think a lot of it gets put online by agents, but some of it is the fact a lot of "stats" sights get their info from Football Manager and that often has random stats in it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:35 am

Yeah an old FM had Ronan as 6'+ so I assumed that's where it came from.

Not as bad as the time a mid-2000s pro Evo made James Sinclair black, though :lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:10 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:35 am
Yeah an old FM had Ronan as 6'+ so I assumed that's where it came from.
It's sometimes interesting to look at descriptions of players on Twitter and then look at video game stats. I genuinely believe very few people actually watch full games of football. It's MotD, FM and Fifa stats.

Anyway, our centrebacks will probably be tall enough and the squad is shaping up a bit. I desperately need to see a forward show up, though. If I see an attacking player I think can play in the Championship arrive this summer then the positivity will radiate off me in waves. By this summer I mean today.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:15 am

Easy, jedi. I understand the impatience (and completely agree with the summary of the deficiency) but I'd rather wait for the right one than grab the right-now.

I get the feeling that – like we expected to happen with Declan John, but he realised quicker than expected where his bread would be well buttered – our more optimistic targets may have hopes of offers from further up the league. That's OK. We want players with ambition and headroom. If there's no rivals for a player then it's a bit suspicious.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm

The more I look into Aimson the more I fear this is one of those ‘make up the numbers’ type signings. He doesn’t have a particularly impressive record and doesn’t seem that suited to covering for Santos and given the other signings and the clear roles they filled I fear this one is a bit more like last summer. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

But at 27 he hasn’t played that much and often couldn’t get into league two sides. Yes he had a full league one season last time out but doesn’t appear to be the norm injury and form wise.

To me it feels like the backup if Delaney went but think I’d rather we’d kept Ryan.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:15 am
Easy, jedi. I understand the impatience (and completely agree with the summary of the deficiency) but I'd rather wait for the right one than grab the right-now.

I get the feeling that – like we expected to happen with Declan John, but he realised quicker than expected where his bread would be well buttered – our more optimistic targets may have hopes of offers from further up the league. That's OK. We want players with ambition and headroom. If there's no rivals for a player then it's a bit suspicious.
Absolutely. Any striker worth having is likely to have a lot of suitors and take a good amount of time to get sorted.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm
To me it feels like the backup if Delaney went but think I’d rather we’d kept Ryan.
My take on it is that Delaney wasn't an Evatt signing and we already know he doesn't fit our style of play. So we have lost a player we know did work for us and who chose not to stay and replaced him with a player the manager chose and who can play the way he wants.

If it makes you feel better, two of his previous managers have had him down as a Championship player. Haven't seen that in him myself, but they see him train.

My biggest issue (and why he probably is nowhere near the player he could have been) is the injuries.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm
My take on it is that Delaney wasn't an Evatt signing and we already know he doesn't fit our style of play. So we have lost a player we know did work for us and who chose not to stay and replaced him with a player the manager chose and who can play the way he wants.

If it makes you feel better, two of his previous managers have had him down as a Championship player. Haven't seen that in him myself, but they see him train.

My biggest issue (and why he probably is nowhere near the player he could have been) is the injuries.
Yet we offered Delaney a deal. I don’t agree with your take on footballing centre halves being a priority. Our form from January was not built on centre backs playing crazy football but on being able to defend, put bodies on the line and not be overpowered by the opposition, in the main. We all know that our goal output didn’t go up but our clean sheets did, our possession at times was considerably lower too. If Santos is injured and teams are playing physical options against us from what I’ve heard Johnston and Aimson aren’t the players suited to that. We shall see.

But I fear we are very reliant on Santos playing. Arguably MJ too. It wouldn’t surprise me if in January we are on the look for a physical centre half and midfield player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:51 pm
Yet we offered Delaney a deal. I don’t agree with your take on footballing centre halves being a priority. Our form from January was not built on centre backs playing crazy football but on being able to defend, put bodies on the line and not be overpowered by the opposition, in the main. We all know that our goal output didn’t go up but our clean sheets did, our possession at times was considerably lower too. If Santos is injured and teams are playing physical options against us from what I’ve heard Johnston and Aimson aren’t the players suited to that. We shall see.

But I fear we are very reliant on Santos playing. Arguably MJ too. It wouldn’t surprise me if in January we are on the look for a physical centre half and midfield player.
We did and I wouldn't have objected to Delaney being 4th choice, but he was going to be firmly 4th choice - a known quantity who could do a job. I don't think anyone is saying our defenders only need to be able to play football and not defend. They are primarily defenders, of course - but they have got to be able to use the ball well. Organisation and never-say-die blood and thunder defending is the minimum expected, as it always should be with a defence at any level. We cannot perform to our best if we can't effectively play out of the back - that doesn't mean we are going to put out creative midfielders at centre back, though.

I agree on Santos and MJ. I think Tutte is a stop-gap until we look at midfield again in Jan or next summer. MJ does need a player to push him, or to be improved on (any player at this level can technically be improved upon). Assuming we get competition in for the fullbacks, Santos will be our most important defender. If he loses form or gets injured we will lose a huge amount from our game, both defensively and building play.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 pm

I knew nothing about Santos before he came from non-league; I knew nothing about MJ before he came; I know nothing about Johnston and Aimson. I trust that the Manager and his Scouts know what they are doing, and next year this time, we are talking about them in the same way we are now talking about the then unknown Santos and MJ.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm

Don't get too hung up on footballing centre halves, you'll have Prufrock ranting about Tim Ream again 😀

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 pm

I fecking love a footballing centre half. I'd will myself gay to marry Mats Hummels. But you have to be able to defend first. Tim Ream wasn't even good on the ball. Awful footballer.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 pm
I fecking love a footballing centre half. I'd will myself gay to marry Mats Hummels. But you have to be able to defend first. Tim Ream wasn't even good on the ball. Awful footballer.
If only you'd told Jokanovic, ranieri and parker at Fulham.to stop playing him, they might have been twice promoted to the Premi.... oh hang on!?