Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:55 am
Whitesince63 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:06 am
And the exits are; Ali, Fonz, Greenidge, Comley and Gordon. Only one I’d think of keeping is Young Gordon who seemed to do well out on loan and with the reserve side available next year, could learn alongside our other young players.
I’d like to see Delf get another go. I think we need an attacking mid and left back. Probably another striker. Delf staying would cover across front 3. It’s also possible Darcy on way out for loan I guess. Lad needs first team football.
Is Politic fully recovered yet?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:10 pm

The obvious 5 to go are Gordon, Comley, Crawford, Greenidge and Edwards.

We still need two fullbacks as a minimum, for me. Then you'd look at the loan market again to add quality in the attacking areas.

Ibahjanner
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ibahjanner » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:17 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 am
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclu ... -attacker/

Another link to a player mentioned previously in this thread.

Tshimanga from Boreham Wood. FLW usually reliable so sounds like solid interest.
Iles: "not to be the trampler of transfer speculation - but told there has been no offer made to Kabongo Tshimanga"
Has been linked with joining Argyle now, time will tell

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:47 pm

Greenidge, Crawford, Comley and Darcy would be my guess. They struggled struggled to convince Evatt in L2 so with the step up, will have greater difficulty to do so. Gordon is our only LB back up and is worth a look in Pre-season after his loan spell while Edwards has had rotten luck with injuries but seemed to have shown promise prior to this. Worth another look at over the summer. Delf is still an important player in the squad because on his versatility (can play as a false #9, 10 or 11) and experience and so stays for me.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:11 pm

I think Comley and Greenidge will be made available for nominal / nowt. Comley will get another club, not sure about Reiss. He’s not afraid to look abroad though.

I reckon we would let Crawford go as well, though maybe hold out for a fee?

Darcy, Edwards and Senior all need loans. Edwards possibly may get let go anyway depending on what interest is out there. All at a stage now where they need some game time.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Interesting to see Evatt say Wigan outbid us to secure a couple of their signings this summer. We knew Wigan had done good business, but it turns out they were doing our good business. I'd not mind betting Jordan Cousins was one of those players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 pm
Interesting to see Evatt say Wigan outbid us to secure a couple of their signings this summer. We knew Wigan had done good business, but it turns out they were doing our good business. I'd not mind betting Jordan Cousins was one of those players.
Evatt has also said previously in the summer that we’ve got our first choice for every position….I’d not take idle summer transfer talk or pot shots taken at other clubs by a manager like IE too seriously.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:46 pm
Evatt has also said previously in the summer that we’ve got our first choice for every position….I’d not take idle summer transfer talk or pot shots taken at other clubs by a manager like IE too seriously.
Evatt said he hadn't missed out on his first choice targets before Wigan made their signings, as I recall. He then said we'd missed out on one, a loan - also before Wigan blew their load.

Not convinced Evatt would have specifically said they'd outbid us, rather than just that they were outspending teams generally, unless it had happened.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 am

Evatt reveals Xav Amaechi took a pay cut to join us. gaffer won’t rule out the chance of extending the deal but it feels like those finances make it even less likely; as noted, it’s a bit like Verlinden - if he succeeds, he’ll have better offers (which aren’t costing him personally).

Unless either he loves it so much he wants to stay, or he does so well that the finances improve (full houses, etc) and it makes sense, a la David Lee in 92.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:25 am
Evatt reveals Xav Amaechi took a pay cut to join us. gaffer won’t rule out the chance of extending the deal but it feels like those finances make it even less likely; as noted, it’s a bit like Verlinden - if he succeeds, he’ll have better offers (which aren’t costing him personally).

Unless either he loves it so much he wants to stay, or he does so well that the finances improve (full houses, etc) and it makes sense, a la David Lee in 92.
If it goes really well then I'd say another 6 months wouldn't be impossible. But its after that if he's shone that we'd probably struggle considering he's still under contract.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 pm
Nixon now says Wigan are in for Charlie Wyke and offering “not far off” 10k per week.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:03 am

Amaechi is clearly here to use us as a shop window, either to get games at his currently club (unlikely, as their new manager doesn't play wingers) or to get himself a move. I don't really have an issue with that.

I agree it's hard to see him staying past January, but if he is furthering his career here and his club don't recall him he may think it's best to have a good full season here than risk moving on after 6 months and not playing somewhere else.

Wyke is clearly a good player, but I'd not want us to be offering him that kind of money. He had an amazing season due to playing with a winger who is levels above league one who put chance after chance on a plate for him. He and McGeady both had 11 out of 10 seasons and whilst he's likely to score a load for Wigan, it's hard to see him scoring that many again without a similar player feeding him. 10k a week is big money in this league, even for a 20+ striker.

You'd say Wigan have a good shot at going up if they don't implode, but if they don't go up in the next two seasons I'd be worried about them staying solvent.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:29 am

Last time I looked (and it was a while back) Wigan looked to be in a similar position to us post Anderson with very few contracted players. Still a big ask to sign a load and get them to gel…not impossible mind, we did it last January!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:13 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:29 am
Last time I looked (and it was a while back) Wigan looked to be in a similar position to us post Anderson with very few contracted players. Still a big ask to sign a load and get them to gel…not impossible mind, we did it last January!
Yup. Hence the "if they don't implode" comment. Most of the top sides are "in transition", which is why I think Bolton could have a shot at going up. Wigan seem to be putting together a good squad, on paper. If they can translate that onto the pitch they'll also have a shot.

My issue is that I'm hoping that have a crap season, but I would worry about them getting into a real financial mess if they don't kick on. Wigan and Sheff Wednesday both look at risk of financial collapse if they stay in this league too long - and I don't want to see more clubs do a Bury.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:07 pm

I don't want to see any club do a Bury, except tranmere of course.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:27 am

In a piece about scouting via video rather than Bovril, notes potential formation switches.

“You have seen from the Euros with England that no two games are the same,” he said. “You have to adapt and overcome.

“The philosophy will stay the same. We want to be possession-based, we want to dominate the ball and we want to attack in numbers and be exciting to watch, but in terms of what formation we play, all that could change.

"We’re happy with a 4-2-3-1 but that doesn’t mean to say we’re going to change back to a 4-3-3, a 3-5-2, it just depends on the opposition and the individuals that we’ve got available for that game.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -scouting/

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:17 am

I think using technology to view players is definitely the right way to go these days, rather than relying on one or two scouts who can only see a few matches physically. You can view as many as you like and then if need be, go and see and meet them. This has to be the way forward and hopefully will include players abroad because we’ve had some terrific foreign players in the past.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:36 pm

Back from fortnight's holibobs and back to thinking about our squad.

To reiterate, although the EFL haven't confirmed squad size, the best bet seems to be 22 overage outfielders (by the EFL's usual standards, "'Under 21 Player’ means a Player under the age of 21 as at the 1 January in the year in which the Season concerned commences (e.g. for Season 2020/21, born on or after 1 January 1999)."

That means this time, anyone born after 1 Jan 2000 is exempt from the squad-size cap. I make that Matty Alexander (7/5/02), Adam Senior (20/1/02), George Thomason (12/1/02), Ronan Darcy (4/11/00) and Dennis Politic (5/3/00), but NOT Liam Gordon (15/5/99) or Liam Edwards (2/10/96).

Including the two lefty Liams, I make it we now have 23 overage outfielders for a suspected cap of 22. We still have the option - exercised this spring with Mascoll and Hickman - to deregister players, but we'd still have to pay their contracts, so Evatt has said (on a couple of occasions, here and here) that for now the focus is on rehoming surplus players.

The clearest outcasts seem to be Reiss Greenidge, Brandon Comley and Ali Crawford, but it would surely make sense to loan out Liam Edwards, and possibly the overage Liam Gordon if another left-back becomes available. That would certainly seem to be a possibility given Evatt's quotes published on 14 June:
I know exactly what I need in the building and I know exactly what positions. I’m not going to share who with you but fundamentally we’re covered in central midfield. We definitely need a left-back or two. I think we’re okay at right-back, but if another one becomes available we’ll look to bring probably one more in there. Maybe a goalkeeper for sure. A centre-back, another one for sure and then the forward positions are really where we need to strengthen, wide and giving Eoin (Doyle) some competition through the middle.
The goalkeeper is Joel Dixon (announced 25 June), the centre-back Will Aimson (announced 17 June) and Amadou Bakayoko (announced 25 June) is hopefully just the first arrival "up top". Amaechi (announced 28 June) adds width – probably on the right, although he could cut inside from the left – but I have a feeling we will still be concentrating on adding quality in the front four.

Position lists are always arguable but here's how I see us at the moment, laid out as (arguable) first XI vs positional "rivals" vs underage back-ups:
Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 14.30.18.png
Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 14.30.18.png (100.08 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
The left-back hole isn't as bad as that suggests, given Gordon's still here and Brockbank can cover, but you strongly suspect Evatt wants better options (not least as he basically says so above). The underage Politic could well be an alternative to Dapo, cutting in on his right foot from the left, as could Delfouneso, whom I've listed as a 10.

That position - central attacking midfielder - is one I'd like to see us strengthen, even if Sarce, Delf, possibly Sheehan and maybe Politic can play there (and Evatt has tried Dapo too). Certainly, having options would be good. Remember that if it is indeed 22 overage outfielders, we will have more than two per position, plus promising youngsters like Thomason, Politic and perhaps Darcy (who replaced the injured Sarce at Longridge). I'd like us to hire another left-back and two more for the front four, while obviously shifting the deadwood – a smaller pile of it than in previous seasons...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Interesting stat re Sheehan.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Hopefully the first of a few to be moved on to make some space in the squad