Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am

^^^Aneke was shown round and had agreed terms. Not sure if Parky or Ken pulled the plug I suspect it was a Ken special - agree a deal then half it...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am

Therein lies the rub. We need to sign a couple of attacking players who are Championship players in the making, assuming we are serious about challenging at the top of the table. That costs money - even in the loan market.

Obviously we will not break our wage structure and I think we'd all rather have another season in League One than overspend betting on making it to the Championship; but if one or two of the attackers we bring in are not right at the top of our earners list we are probably doing it wrong.

We will need more squad players who can maybe step up, but we definitely need players over and above the level we now have if Evatt wants to win the league.

As to what happens to Doyle - he fights for his place. Any striker who comes in needs to be at least that level and preferably better. A number of those games in the run in last season the forward line started to look decidedly leggy and it's a short break between seasons. I'd rather not be relying on a player his age playing 40+ games again. At the very least he needs support. Having two reliable strikers not only pushes the starter, it gives us options off the bench - which Miller showed was vital last season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am
^^^Aneke was shown round and had agreed terms. Not sure if Parky or Ken pulled the plug I suspect it was a Ken special - agree a deal then half it...
That might put him off even if he were in our budget, then. I have rated him since he was a kid with Arsenal. Back then he was more of an 8, but I think he's top class at this level as a 10. He can tackle, he's immensely powerful, he sees passes few other players outside the Championship do and he has power and accuracy off both feet. Also not as slow as people think, it's just he's built like a train so he takes 10-15 yards to get up to speed. If he hadn't had injuries I suspect he'd have had a similar career to Antonio at West Ham.

He's a player I think can still play in the Championship in the right system and he's not 28 for another month or so, so is supposedly hitting his prime now. Trouble is, you'd image a few Championship clubs will also see that now.

Like I say, I doubt we'd get him at this stage; but I'll hold out some hope, just because I've always liked him.

Ibahjanner
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ibahjanner » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm
The new lad seems to be well thought of at Plymouth, according to the MEN, although it does seem to be based on a few twitter comments only.
I think we'll be waiting a good while for the forward line reinforcements.
I wouldnt say that he came to us injured from Bury. Meant to be a few matches out but reality you could count on one hand the number of appearances in the firat season.
Last season well the first thing is that he was part of defence that had the third highest goals against record thoughtout all four divisions. The defence though was mainly made up with loans u23 and it told. As for will aimson he is good with the ball at his feet but against a burly centreforward not so clever. Consensus down here he is better in a back four than a back three.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 am

Reports that Aneke is set for Brum, so that's another to chalk off.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:16 am

Ibahjanner wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm
The new lad seems to be well thought of at Plymouth, according to the MEN, although it does seem to be based on a few twitter comments only.
I think we'll be waiting a good while for the forward line reinforcements.
I wouldnt say that he came to us injured from Bury. Meant to be a few matches out but reality you could count on one hand the number of appearances in the firat season.
Last season well the first thing is that he was part of defence that had the third highest goals against record thoughtout all four divisions. The defence though was mainly made up with loans u23 and it told. As for will aimson he is good with the ball at his feet but against a burly centreforward not so clever. Consensus down here he is better in a back four than a back three.
Cheers, friend. Intriguing that the consensus is he suits a four more than a three, given he's had triple promotions in a three. I won't argue with consensus, but I wonder if there's an element of him just not fitting? Did he excel in a four?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm

We are linked via Pete O Rourke with Amadou Bakayoko. Know nothing about him. But he's a striker released by Coventry. Pete is usually reliable with this stuff I'd say - not Iles or Nixon but doesn't seem to make things up.

EDIT: Looking up his record he's anything but prolific but is very tall.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:26 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm
Coventry release a couple of forwards - Amadou Bakayoko (25, 6ft4in, 11 goals from 54 L1 games) and Max Biamou (31, 6ft1in, 4 goals from 22 L1 games)
While by no means prolific, both of those would add a bit more physicality to our forward line. There's zero chance that we bring in an out and out target man this summer, but I do wonder if Evatt is keen to add bit more height and/or muscle up front to make us more of a threat from aerial crosses.
I see Paul Mullin still hasn't signed for anyone...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 pm

Bakayoko's scoring record is shocking for a striker but he would offer something different to Doyle

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm
We are linked via Pete O Rourke with Amadou Bakayoko. Know nothing about him. But he's a striker released by Coventry. Pete is usually reliable with this stuff I'd say - not Iles or Nixon but doesn't seem to make things up.

One of two names that was mentioned to me last night, I think it has legs this one. According to Coventry fans, hard-working but not much of a striker's instinct.

The other name was 23 year old Kabongo Tshimanga of Boreham Wood. 36 goals in 79 appearances over the past two seasons for the National League side. I wrote about him briefly towards the bottom of my potential CF targets piece but didn't delve too deep as I expected him to stay with Boreham Wood. https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2021 ... e-forward/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:36 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 pm
Bakayoko's scoring record is shocking for a striker but he would offer something different to Doyle
Aye - the above 11-in-54 third-tier record is for Cov, but he also scored 9 in 93 at that level for Walsall

Altogether it's 20 goals and 11 assists from 147 games, but those 147 games add up to 7,609 minutes - roughly 50 minutes per game; of the 147 it's only 80 starts, which makes the figures look less startling. Also means he's personally used to bit-part roles, and has been frequently employed thusly by managers, suggesting he does it well and without complaining.

Not one to get the warship memes flying but as noted by jmhjb and (yonks ago) Brommers, you can sort of see the thinking.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:39 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm

According to Coventry fans, hard-working but not much of a striker's instinct.
...which is alright as long as those around/behind him are scoring (the Kevin Davies Doctrine). In a 4-2-3-1, where he presumably replaces Doyle (in the 69th minute), we'd need Dapo/Sarce/Izzy (or their replacements) to step up metaphorically and literally.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Joel Dixon set to be announced?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:56 pm

Amadou Bakayoko....hmm.

We've stuck a pair of goalkeeping gloves on Twitter, so I assume Dixon is signed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Dixon is done. Next!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:05 pm

Two-year deal

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/june/w ... per-dixon/
dicko.jpeg
dicko.jpeg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
He: “It’s a new chapter in my career and I’m looking forward to starting. The size and stature of the club and where it wants to get back to is perfect for me. I have worked with the gaffer before at Barrow and I cannot wait to get started here.”

IE: “Joel is a player who has played a lot for me and is someone I know and trust. He will provide good competition in the goalkeeping department and will never let anybody down. He’s a consistent footballer and a consistent character both on and off the pitch.”

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:10 pm

No issue with the Dixon deal, really. There's not a huge amount in the freebies market that we could attract, he'll be cheap and Evatt knows him. Not a player I expect much of, but we needed someone to come in as No.2 and push Gilks and he's that. Tom White was supposed to be a player Evatt knew he could trust, but he was miles off the required level - we'll just have to see how good he is in a Wanderers shirt. No assumptions.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:22 pm

I wonder if Brad Barry (RB/RWB), who's been mooted in this thread previously, will also jump ship to us from Barrow to serve as backup/competition to Jones. Knows Evatt well, wouldn't be expensive etc.

He's been offered a contract by The Bluebirds but is yet to sign it and Barrow gaffer Mark Cooper has apparently said Barry won't be returning.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:31 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:22 pm
I wonder if Brad Barry (RB/RWB), who's been mooted in this thread previously, will also jump ship to us from Barrow to serve as backup/competition to Jones. Knows Evatt well, wouldn't be expensive etc.
Possible. I seem to recall him being one of their players you always felt would give the ball away if pressed, though. Can't say I'd be thrilled, as he strikes me as a solid League Two signing rather than "maybe good enough for the Championship to really push Jones."

Can't say I've done any kind of dive into his stats or really watched him play in detail, though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:37 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30 pm
The other name was 23 year old Kabongo Tshimanga of Boreham Wood.
Of all the strikers down at that level at the minute, he looks the most like he might add something we need. He is reasonably quick, without being lightning, and he has really good upper-body strength. Nice feet, can play one touch stuff and has lovely pass appreciation for a striker. Also works really hard.

I'd honestly be fine with him. Might work or might not, but certainly worth some league club taking a punt on him.