Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 am

Interestingly, read a quote in BEN article yesterday, from Evatt, which said something akin to "George [Thomason] has grown into a leader"...struggling to find it again.

He also seems to be saying in latest article that we'll only sign perms in Jan..

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:38 am

Yeah I found that a strange quote, Worthy. Obviously I can see the upside of signing permanents, but I'd be surprised if we were able to bring the quantity and quality we require if we're solely shopping in that market.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 am

On the transfers, Evatt's aims will be to get players in who he thinks could stabilise us in the Championship - not just stabilise us in League One. He will still be targeting promotion this season.

I saw that quote about Thomason, Worthy. You never know whether Evatt is trying to talk up his players as part of his (visualise your success) stuff or if he's reflecting reality. Was interesting, though.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 am
On the transfers, Evatt's aims will be to get players in who he thinks could stabilise us in the Championship - not just stabilise us in League One. He will still be targeting promotion this season.

I saw that quote about Thomason, Worthy. You never know whether Evatt is trying to talk up his players as part of his (visualise your success) stuff or if he's reflecting reality. Was interesting, though.
Yes, and that's a fine ambition, but it's also unlikely we're going to sign many players on permanent deals in January who are of that level. A mix of loans and permanents seems much more realistic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:22 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 am
Yes, and that's a fine ambition, but it's also unlikely we're going to sign many players on permanent deals in January who are of that level. A mix of loans and permanents seems much more realistic.
You've got to go by what the manager says, though. I would agree with that statement 9 times out of 10, but if the manager is saying otherwise you have to go with it.

I've said previously that if we are after impactful, "character" signings we might struggle in the loan market. Also that I think the correct course is the buy out the lads we would otherwise have looked to take on frees in the summer. That may or may not be what we are doing, but if Evatt says we are only working in the permanent market then that's that, I suppose.

If we have the money available for Evatt then now would be the time to use it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:50 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 am

Aye - so to round the Thomason thing off, I'm not sure many of us would currently see him as a "leader" in the Ince/Keane mould. More like in the mould of Henry the mild mannered janitor vs Hong Kong Phooey - all the rage cartoons at the moment. :-)

The good thing is, he says we have targets (I assume that meet his perm criteria) and that they were out of reach in summer, with the hint that they (some at least) might not be quite as out of reach in January...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:48 am

I'd love to know what "out of reach" meant in the summer - beyond our financial reach, "too big", club they were at expected to do better, not getting the games they thought they would etc

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:48 am
I'd love to know what "out of reach" meant in the summer - beyond our financial reach, "too big", club they were at expected to do better, not getting the games they thought they would etc
It might not be a constant and all of the above might apply. I'd be a bit surprised if it was all "one thing or another"...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
It might not be a constant and all of the above might apply. I'd be a bit surprised if it was all "one thing or another"...
Agreed. I will be really interested to see what we do and if we get any genuine "How the hell did we get him!?" players.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:12 am

If we can get to Jan outside the bottom four it’s job done, can then get on with looking to sign to move up the league. Declare the Liam Gordon/Harry Brockbank/Tutte experiments over.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am

See, I don't read the "permanent" quote as necessarily ruling out loans. Knowing how pressers work, he could have been asked if we were dipping into the loan market. I think it hugely unlikely that we won't loan a single player in January; to me, he's just saying they won't *only* be loans.

PS Worthy - the mild-mannered janitor was Penry, short for Penrod (Pooch). Of course. #NumberOneSuperGuy #QuickerThanTheHumanEye

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:40 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am
See, I don't read the "permanent" quote as necessarily ruling out loans. Knowing how pressers work, he could have been asked if we were dipping into the loan market. I think it hugely unlikely that we won't loan a single player in January; to me, he's just saying they won't *only* be loans.

PS Worthy - the mild-mannered janitor was Penry, short for Penrod (Pooch). Of course. #NumberOneSuperGuy #QuickerThanTheHumanEye
Oh! (Last bit)

I wouldn't necessarily rule out loans with a view to buy...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:44 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:40 am
I wouldn't necessarily rule out loans with a view to buy...
The old Paul Robinson set-up...

Let's see where we get to in late January, and indeed what's available. After this experience, I really doubt we'll ever again leave a window two players under the (hardly extravagant) registration limit. It didn't make much sense to me in August; now - although TBF I wanted extra legs up top – it's looking like folly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am
See, I don't read the "permanent" quote as necessarily ruling out loans.
I don't think we'd rule anything out in January. If some Prem wonder kid was for the asking I'm sure we'd have a nosey. You take quality where you can get it.

During a crisis, which this now is, a recruitment team looks to produce solidity. When Sarce went the reaction was to get a block of players to sign on together. A statement of unity after whatever went on. Rewards for the players who earned them, but also a backing of the manager.

January will also be about solidity. If the Sarce fracas rumours are true (and there's usually some core of truth in media rumblings at less clubs, as there's less incentive to make stuff up) then they'll have wanted to give Evatt some backing in January anyway. A captain walking out leaves doubts in players' minds and you often counter dressing room issues by "packing", getting some new faces in who have just signed on with this manager and staked their futures on him delivering. If I were part of that recruitment team and we looked to the board to back our guy then what we'd mean would be structural signings and not bandages. You'd want a few of your team's long term targets in to steady the dressing room and as a statement to the fans. These are players who have made an investment in their new gaffer.

Quality is always, always key. Better players give a team confidence they can always win a game, even if they're not 100%. So if we can loan in that kind of ability then yeah, go for it. Having good players walk in on 2-3 year deal makes a different statement, though. It shows they think Evatt can back up the rhetoric at a time when the squad might be tired of hearing it. That's especially true if it's players who dramatically improve the side, because that's the best of both worlds.

Managers and recruitment teams look at this kind of stuff and always have. Sometimes you make tactical signings to help the team on the pitch and sometimes you make strategic ones to steady the course of the ship. We need some strategic signings in January. How strategic you can be on short notice ultimately comes down to finances. Evatt seems to be indicating he has money to spend, so we'll see.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:29 pm

Wouldn’t rule anything out for January. We already are three midfield players down on the start of the season and who knows what happens before then. We might need 4 or 5 centre mids in January alone just to stay competitive. Who knows what other knocks or form issues may occur.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Bristol City manager Nigel ‘Ostrich’ Pearson, four days ago:

“There will be changes [in January], I can tell you that. I talked in the summer about not really wanting to do too much. I may have to amend that because certain individuals aren’t onside, let’s put it like that. And I’ll do everything I can to get rid of them. Players who possibly don’t want to be here, well I’ll make sure they’re not here, I’ll get rid of them. It’s not a veiled threat, that’s what will happen. We need to affect a change and I will do it by removing players or not playing them if I can’t get rid of them.”

<pores over squad list>
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:37 pm

“There will be changes [in January], I can tell you that. I talked in the summer about not really wanting to do too much. I may have to amend that because certain individuals aren’t onside, let’s put it like that. And I’ll do everything I can to get rid of them. Players who possibly don’t want to be here, well I’ll make sure they’re not here, I’ll get rid of them. It’s not a veiled threat, that’s what will happen. We need to affect a change and I will do it by removing players or not playing them if I can’t get rid of them.””

<pores over squad list>
:lol: tell us what you really think, Nigel.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm

“There will be changes [in January], I can tell you that. I talked in the summer about not really wanting to do too much. I may have to amend that because certain individuals aren’t onside, let’s put it like that. And I’ll do everything I can to get rid of them. Players who possibly don’t want to be here, well I’ll make sure they’re not here, I’ll get rid of them. It’s not a veiled threat, that’s what will happen. We need to affect a change and I will do it by removing players or not playing them if I can’t get rid of them.””

<pores over squad list>
Bakinson, as mentioned previously.

There's similar issues at Hull.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm

<pores over squad list>
Bakinson, as mentioned previously.

There's similar issues at Hull.
Kasey Palmer's also a possibility – the ex-Chelsea playmaker hasn't played a minute in a month after Nige complained about his work off the ball. (Obviously that's something Evatt also demands; I'm just suggesting names.)

Bakinson's started the last four league games, although that doesn't mean Nige likes him. Same presser: "We still might need them, they’re professional footballers and because we don’t have the biggest squad I may still use them. But that’s not a reason to pander to their needs, because I’m not pandering to anyone’s needs."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 pm
Kasey Palmer's also a possibility – the ex-Chelsea playmaker hasn't played a minute in a month after Nige complained about his work off the ball. (Obviously that's something Evatt also demands; I'm just suggesting names.)

Bakinson's started the last four league games, although that doesn't mean Nige likes him. Same presser: "We still might need them, they’re professional footballers and because we don’t have the biggest squad I may still use them. But that’s not a reason to pander to their needs, because I’m not pandering to anyone’s needs."
No idea whether Pearson rates him, but he does want out - which seems to be what Nigel was talking about.

Hull are having serious issues and need to offload a number of midfielders if they want to do anything in January (their owners don't, but McCann does). They need to free up money for a striker, apparently.