Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Quick visual update of squad size:
BW 22 july.jpeg
I've "promoted" Liam Gordon from potentially surplus to being Declan's back-up; while I still think we might strengthen there, Liam (who is overage as of this season) done himself no harm with some strong pre-season showings; last week Evatt said “Liam has hit the ground running this pre-season and he has done great in the games. The proof will now be against the better opposition where he we will be tested more, defensively, and will also have to be a bit more creative.” And sure enough, after beating Preston, Evatt told the club YouTube channel “I thought Liam Gordon was absolutely outstanding. I thought be was brilliant today, his best game in a Bolton shirt.”

To reiterate, Amaechi is officially underage and thus doesn't counted against proposed limit of 22 overage outfielders. Xav therefore joins a bunch of young bucks (Politic, Darcy) hoping to burst into what is currently our weakest area, certainly in terms of overage players: attacking midfield. Helpfully for them, that position is also the one where energetically enthusiastic subs are perhaps most likely to change the game – but I still suspect we may see a senior signing or two; we currently have one overage space, which could expand if Crawford, Comley and/or Liam Edwards find gainful employment elsewhere.
Matty Alexander heading to Lancaster for the season, no?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:25 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:48 pm
Matty Alexander heading to Lancaster for the season, no?
Ah yeah, good spot, albeit on one of those tricksy work-experience loans which means he still trains with us and can, if memory serves, actually play for us if need be.

But yes, I should probably knock him off the list and replace with the even younger Luke Hutchison, although I've not included the other first-contracters (Ryan Colvin, Jay Fitzmartin and Finlay Lockett) because they're not really first-team contenders in the way Darcy etc arguably are.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 pm
The quote above on Gordon after the Preston game was in response to question about whether/how much he was impressed by the young lads like Gordon and Darcy. From memory young lads (general) got praise, and there's the quote above on Gordon but nothing on Ronan.
He got his name check after Atherton.
Genuinely thought you meant Peter Atherton. "Yeah, Pete had a great game, bellowing out orders while looking like Peter Hook. Roman Darby? Who's he?" :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 pm

IE confirms my suspicion yesterday that a serious injury would mean they'd pursue a replacement for Xav.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... long-term/

I think this would be wise - because however much we might like Politic I suspect he won't be ready for IE style football for 90 minutes for a fair old while. So definitely need another attacking winger. Probably I guess a loan. One who could score would tick some boxes too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Even pre-injury I was hoping for one more who could do 10 or wide. Agree on DP
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 pm
This comes with the caveat that I think a closing reading of managers comments isn't usually much use, but I noticed it so might as well share it (how very millennial of me).

The quote above on Gordon after the Preston game was in response to question about whether/how much he was impressed by the young lads like Gordon and Darcy. From memory young lads (general) got praise, and there's the quote above on Gordon but nothing on Ronan.

Caveat repeated but if he was close I would've thought he might get a name check too.

My reckon is that now we're trying to shift players out to free up wages and aiming for a couple of loanees later in the window.
He got his name check after Atherton.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/
Cheers, hadn't seen that. I like Ronan but worried IE didn't. Hopefully he can keep pushing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Seems to me that Politic, Darcy and arguably even Crawford are in the position where the best they can expect is to come on for the last 20 minutes and look creative and busy enough to impress IE. I would argue that Amaechi was also in that position before the injury – although he started that last game, it was probably because Isgrove was unavailable.

Now Amaechi's injured, with (in case you can't access the BN) what Iles fears is a fractured metatarsal, a two-month job. Evatt: "Depending on what happens with Xav, it could alter the rest of our transfer plans. We are waiting on the consultant for the scan and should have some answers as some point today. He is slightly better but still very sore, so we are waiting to hear what happens.”

I suspect that across football, there is going to be a lot of quarantine absenteeism in the next few months as COVID rampages around. Maybe one day we'll have fans *and* players in the stadiums.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Seems to me that Politic, Darcy and arguably even Crawford are in the position where the best they can expect is to come on for the last 20 minutes and look creative and busy enough to impress IE. I would argue that Amaechi was also in that position before the injury – although he started that last game, it was probably because Isgrove was unavailable.

Now Amaechi's injured, with (in case you can't access the BN) what Iles fears is a fractured metatarsal, a two-month job. Evatt: "Depending on what happens with Xav, it could alter the rest of our transfer plans. We are waiting on the consultant for the scan and should have some answers as some point today. He is slightly better but still very sore, so we are waiting to hear what happens.”

I suspect that across football, there is going to be a lot of quarantine absenteeism in the next few months as COVID rampages around. Maybe one day we'll have fans *and* players in the stadiums.
Not so sure I suspect that IE had Ameachi down as a starter ahead of Isgrove. He started in what looked I guess closeish to a first team at Atherton ahead of Isgrove.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:18 pm
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Not so sure I suspect that IE had Ameachi down as a starter ahead of Isgrove. He started in what looked I guess closeish to a first team at Atherton ahead of Isgrove.
First-half team at Atherton was Dixon; Brockbank, Aimson, Baptsite, John; Williams, Sheehan; Amaechi, Tutte, Afolayan, Bakayoko. With respect, clearly not the first XI. I suspect Amaechi started because Evatt wanted to give him an hour: unlike his 10 team-mates, he wasn't sacrificed at the break and played on for another 15 minutes, to be replaced by Brandon Comley. If memory serves, Evatt had said that week that Ameachi was furthest behind in terms of fitness. We know IE likes a runner, so while we'll never know for sure, I suspect Amaechi was behind Isgrove in the pecking order.

EDIT Evatt in the BN the day before Atherton:
The issue Xav has is that he’s nowhere near fit enough yet. He is going to need the whole of pre-season to get to where we think he can be. Out of all the group he is probably the furthest behind, from being at Hamburg and where he has been at, so he will be tired, he is going to fatigue, but I promise he will see the benefits of all the hard work he is putting in this pre-season.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... burg-loan/

Maybe, when he got fit, he would replace Isgrove?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm

Help! which one's Xav? :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm
Not sure if you need help, but in case anyone does: Xavier Amaechi, crocked loanee winger. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Not sure if you need help, but in case anyone does: Xavier Amaechi, crocked loanee winger. :D
Ahhh ty. I was struggling between Amaechi and Bakayoko. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Ahhh ty. I was struggling between Amaechi and Bakayoko. :-)
Reasonable - we haven't had many new names to learn. Bakayoko's forename is Amadou, although I suspect I will continue to automatically think "Ibrahima" for quite some time yet. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:56 pm

In what can only be considered most bizarro transfer of the summer so far league two and Cambridge top scorer Mullin, having been pursued by a host of league one clubs has signed for non league Wrexham. Links up with Phil Parkinson there. Wow.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:56 pm
In what can only be considered most bizarro transfer of the summer so far league two and Cambridge top scorer Mullin, having been pursued by a host of league one clubs has signed for non league Wrexham. Links up with Phil Parkinson there. Wow.
Surprising, thought a lower level Champ side might have taken a flyer on him but can see why they didn't - he seems a fairly ordinary lower league centre forward that had a once in a lifetime season, heavily aided by some dodgy keeping.

Don't begrudge him that move at all though. Playing careers are short and can be over in a second from a bad challenge. Make hay while the sun shines I say.
Last edited by brommers95 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:07 pm

It's Always Sunny in Wrexham

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Not exactly a Parky forward, is he

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 pm
Works hard can play out wide...I'd have said he is.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm

I have to admit I thought he'd already signed for Charlton Athletic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 pm
Works hard can play out wide...I'd have said he is.
I went "yeah could see that" too...