Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 pm
Really pleased with the Sheehan signing. Think he'll be a great player for us. If he looked good on the ploughed field of Rodney Parade, he'll look like Iniesta on the Unibol's billiard table.

In other news, Harry Anderson who's been linked with us previously wished Sheehan well. Which is strange as they don't seem to have ever played together - I'm struggling to see the connection between the two apart from the (potential) Bolton link

Yes I've seen that, it is very strange and as you say there doesn't appear to be any previous link between them.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:50 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:41 pm
Sheehan looks an excellent pro and clearly very good at League 2 level. Not sure he improves the first 11 though. Signings so far have been good for the squad and future, looking forward to a immediate improvement , straight into the first team type. That may be a last minute loan though.
I think Sheehan can be a straight in the first team player. He can be our best midfielder. Whether he will be or not depends on the structure we put in place around him. I went back and watched a lot of him over the weekend and I will post my thoughts this evening, if people think it's worth doing. He's a really interesting signing, for me.
Please do. I'd never heard the name until a few days ago. I'm just basing it on the fact we have Lee and MJ and wondering if a guy with his record would be better. Great if he is. Maybe our pitch and style will ideally suit him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:15 pm

My mental list of what we needed from the market when we finished the season was, in order:

1. Retain the out of contract players who helped get us up. (I think we will get John, so that's nearly complete)
2. Find a midfielder who can create through the middle and break lines. (Sheehan is that player)
3. Figure out how to transition from Baptiste, Lee, Doyle and Gilks' vital contribution over the season. (Johnston and Sheehan 50% there)
4. Add two new top class attacking talents.
5. Improve our physicality wherever possible.

We have come a lot further than I expected by this stage. I thought we'd still be getting our ducks in a row, but we've already signed two new players and secured most of last term's key players. I'm in my late 30s now and I've never felt this optimistic about a transfer window. Obviously I seen us attract much better players, but I expect us to get everything we need to compete next season and me not to be left disappointed. I couldn't even say that under Sam most of the time. Add in the Euros and Copa and this summer is going to be awesome.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:58 am

In other news, Greg Kiltie and Scott Tanser both signed for St.Mirren. Both players linked with us at various stages over the past 6 months, but probably not players we were actively pursuing.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am

In other, other news Barrow have signed Paul Farman, who was previously No.1 at Carlisle. I presume that means BWFC-linked Joel Dixon, is off to pastures new.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Joel Dixon is one of those. At the minute I'm looking at every signing through the lens of "Can he take us up and can he then keep us up?" In an ideal world you want to see lads come in who you believe, with the right coaching and attitude, can play in the Championship. There's a budget, though, and this is the real world - so we will get lads in who just do a job. If Evatt sees Gilks as his No1 all season next term then Dixon would make a lot of sense. Good age, manager knows his level and presumably cheap. Can challenge Gilks without kicking us on.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 pm

I'm confident that Declan John will/has been signed. Might just be a case of waiting for him to get up to the stadium to sort the finer details out and do the old signing photos etc.

He's recently got engaged so probably taking some much deserved time off spent with his fiancée after a hectic few months of football.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:39 pm

For what it's worth, I am also confident John will sign up.

6 months ago Dec couldn't find a club to take him above League Two.
Nobody is suddenly going to match his old wage and guarantee him regular football after a decent 6 month loan.
He has said before he wants to be playing for Wales and that means regular football at a good level, which we can offer.
He's moved too much in his career and any decent advisor is going to tell him to take the chance to settle and just play regularly.

That all goes out the window if by some chance a Championship club goes for him, but if he moves to another League One club for an extra few hundred a week I will be surprised. I don't think he's proved enough yet to get that Championship offer. He'll still be seen as a risk by some League One outfits.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 pm
I'm confident that Declan John will/has been signed. Might just be a case of waiting for him to get up to the stadium to sort the finer details out and do the old signing photos etc.

He's recently got engaged so probably taking some much deserved time off spent with his fiancée after a hectic few months of football.
Don’t know about that but I think I’d be surprised if he didn’t come back. Said that after season finished and stand by it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Delaney released.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:05 pm

...and Gilks re-signs

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:55 pm
Delaney released.
Just read that; both sides unable to agree. Fair play to the lad if he's more of a chance of first team footie elsewhere, which I suspect he has.

Best of luck to the lad.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:08 pm
Just read that; both sides unable to agree. Fair play to the lad if he's more of a chance of first team footie elsewhere, which I suspect he has.

Best of luck to the lad.
Precisely that, you'd expect. Evatt talks about character and that shows it, I'd suggest. Wants to prove himself.

What it does mean is we need another centre half in and it gives us a chance to get one in who suits our style of play. Someone like Zech Medley, who was on loan at Kilmarnock last season, would fit the bill - but I'm sure there are plenty out there that Evatt could see doing a job. Someone U21 would be ideal at the minute.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:18 pm

I suspect Delaney might have come down to length of deal. Might have been offered one year only and looked at other deals being handed out and didn’t want that. But good luck to him. I liked him but he was error prone. And frankly I was surprised after second half of season that we offered him a deal. He will do a job somewhere.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:21 pm

We have Liam Edwards and Adam Senior (who I really want it to come good for!) as well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Liam is what, 24 now? Hasn't played in 2 years and his last games were 3 divisions below where we hope to be fighting for promotion next season. Adam is young and I want to see him get a chance, but I don't think we can rely on him. We need another centre back now, one who has had at least some regular playing time at a decent level. Ideally young, maybe a loanee; but someone who we can feel confident in.

Lloyd Jones has officially left Northampton Town. He'd do.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:27 pm
Liam is what, 24 now? Hasn't played in 2 years and his last games were 3 divisions below where we hope to be fighting for promotion next season. Adam is young and I want to see him get a chance, but I don't think we can rely on him. We need another centre back now, one who has had at least some regular playing time at a decent level. Ideally young, maybe a loanee; but someone who we can feel confident in.

Lloyd Jones has officially left Northampton Town. He'd do.
Signed for Cambridge.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:34 pm
Signed for Cambridge.
In that case he was shit anyway.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:21 pm
We have Liam Edwards and Adam Senior (who I really want it to come good for!) as well.
Senior at 6ft is one where he's going to struggle to make it at as a league player unless he's very good technically, and honestly I can't remember whether he is or not. I would suspect he'll be loaned out to non-league anyway.

Edwards did look to have some potential a few years ago, but he's been out that long that I'm somewhat surprised he hasn't retired. Another who would presumably be loaned out before playing for us at first team level again.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:18 pm
I suspect Delaney might have come down to length of deal. Might have been offered one year only and looked at other deals being handed out and didn’t want that. But good luck to him. I liked him but he was error prone. And frankly I was surprised after second half of season that we offered him a deal. He will do a job somewhere.
Aye, I was surprised we offered him one too. Especially given Evatt looked like he was going to murder him several times for hoiking it forward without much pressure. Didn't look like a fit. As you say though wish him well and clearly a league footballer at the very worst.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.