Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Naming Santos as the new skipper also lends weight to the Doyle departure rumours. What the hell has gone on here??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm
Out of interest, will you be glad if the statement says Evatt has resigned?
You can criticise a manager without wanting him binned off. Just like you can disagree with someone at work without shifting them out within a day.

Evatt has to take blame for recent weeks. Doesn't mean he needs sacking means he need to reflect and reign in his ego and arrogance because its harmed the club, its results and the fans experience. He's paid to sort these things and I find the need to constantly deflect blame from the manager in all circumstances ridiculous. The football club is bigger than a managers ego and Evatt needs to come and address the fans and sort out a result for tomorrow. His job is to win games and he gets judged on that. This has been a horrific week - potentially a season or career defining week and Saturday is now the acid test.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm
You can criticise a manager without wanting him binned off. Just like you can disagree with someone at work without shifting them out within a day.

Evatt has to take blame for recent weeks. Doesn't mean he needs sacking means he need to reflect and reign in his ego and arrogance because its harmed the club, its results and the fans experience. He's paid to sort these things and I find the need to constantly deflect blame from the manager in all circumstances ridiculous. The football club is bigger than a managers ego and Evatt needs to come and address the fans and sort out a result for tomorrow. His job is to win games and he gets judged on that. This has been a horrific week - potentially a season or career defining week and Saturday is now the acid test.
Is that a yes or a no? Would you be glad? If you had the power, right now, would you get rid?

BTW I haven't seen anybody saying the manager is blameless. But then we know from experience that folks see what they want to see.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm

I think the test here is how other players react. If Sarcevic was a popular figure, binning him off might upset a few others and lead to a big drop in performances. If they’re all fully behind Evatt, then Sarcevic going probably won’t matter much.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Naming Santos as the new skipper also lends weight to the Doyle departure rumours. What the hell has gone on here??
It will be interesting to find out.

Personally I'm never much in favour of strikers as skippers anyway, but then the whole armband-reverence thing seems peculiarly British. We love a class system.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Also, why has Marc Iles been so quiet today? The biggest breaking story of the last few months and not a word out of him.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:19 pm

Fan reaction tomorrow will be interesting. I think it will be positive to start with but could sour very quickly indeed and this will be used if we get beat.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:19 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 pm
Also, why has Marc Iles been so quiet today? The biggest breaking story of the last few months and not a word out of him.
Holiday apparently. A confused Dan Barnes standing in

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/octobe ... tains-job/

Meanwhile, senior professional Eion Doyle remains as vice-captain to continue lending his experience to Evatt’s side as they continued to grow in League One.
Typo from trying to rush that out asap i guess to quell the rumours, and two discreet fingers up at Sarc? Dunno if I'm seeing things that aren't there but that reads as a rather pointed 'and don't turn back'
Last edited by KeyserSoze on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm

truewhite15 wrote:

Personally I'm never much in favour of strikers as skippers anyway, but then the whole armband-reverence thing seems peculiarly British. We love a class system.
In the Santos is captain statement it says Doyle will remain vice captain.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm

Is that a yes or a no? Would you be glad? If you had the power, right now, would you get rid?

BTW I haven't seen anybody saying the manager is blameless. But then we know from experience that folks see what they want to see.
If I had the power right now I'd bring an experienced head in to guide Evatt. Someone without the naivety he has. Not necessarily as a direct line of report thing - just someone to help with the problems we clearly have and that Evatt can't fix. Like set pieces and how to defend. That's what I'd do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:21 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm
I think the test here is how other players react. If Sarcevic was a popular figure, binning him off might upset a few others and lead to a big drop in performances. If they’re all fully behind Evatt, then Sarcevic going probably won’t matter much.
This is true but it won't necessarily be reflected on-pitch. Liking his boss won't make Brockbank into Cafu.

There might be some whose heads drop, and there'll be plenty saying they all have, and crying out for the sort of player who'd run obediently through walls without actually being able to kick a ball. Guess that's another particularly British thing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:21 pm
If I had the power right now I'd bring an experienced head in to guide Evatt. Someone without the naivety he has. Not necessarily as a direct line of report thing - just someone to help with the problems we clearly have and that Evatt can't fix. Like set pieces and how to defend. That's what I'd do.
Interesting idea, far from without merit.

And if Evatt refused?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:24 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm
truewhite15 wrote:

In the Santos is captain statement it says Doyle will remain vice captain.
Ah yes - a different story to the earlier one, which didn't: https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/octobe ... tains-job/

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

And if Evatt refused?
Only works if he's on board as you suggest. Imposing it is a vote of no confidence and pointless.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Madness. Why are we so polar as a club! All we needed was a quiet season back in league one..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:29 pm

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

And if Evatt refused?
We're talking if I had the power. I think firstly I'd not be sitting here dictating I'd have been involved and have a relationship with him and others at the club. And I'd talk about the structure and who might be appropriate. I'd not impose someone. And if IE was completely against the idea I'd listen and reflect on it and pause.

That's all I can say because any more you're going down the hypothetical route too much. Ultimately as in real life there is a point where if someone is struggling in their job and can't or won't use help and support offered you have to make a decision. But that's not code for 'I'd sack him straight away' absolutely not. But its about an ongoing situation. And how you manage it. You cannot manage effectively by dictating or forcing things onto people and I'm not that person. But if things continued to go South I guess there is a point where you might say 'help is there' and if that help isn't taken up again a point where you say 'what else can be done?'.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:29 pm
We're talking if I had the power. I think firstly I'd not be sitting here dictating I'd have been involved and have a relationship with him and others at the club. And I'd talk about the structure and who might be appropriate. I'd not impose someone. And if IE was completely against the idea I'd listen and reflect on it and pause.

That's all I can say because any more you're going down the hypothetical route too much. Ultimately as in real life there is a point where if someone is struggling in their job and can't or won't use help and support offered you have to make a decision. But that's not code for 'I'd sack him straight away' absolutely not. But its about an ongoing situation. And how you manage it. You cannot manage effectively by dictating or forcing things onto people and I'm not that person. But if things continued to go South I guess there is a point where you might say 'help is there' and if that help isn't taken up again a point where you say 'what else can be done?'.
All fair. Difficult innit? I've managed lots of people, some easy, some hard. Without being privy to every facet of every situation, it's very hard to say.

What we know we have is a former basket-case club with a thirtysomething manager with very little experience and a board with even less. I'm sure mistakes will be made; will they be learnt from?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Yeah not promoting the vice-captain, and the other obvious leader in the squad, is fishy in the extreme.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:00 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Yeah not promoting the vice-captain, and the other obvious leader in the squad, is fishy in the extreme.
He's staying, per DSB's link above ^
Meanwhile, senior professional Eoin Doyle remains as vice-captain to continue lending his experience to Evatt’s side as they continued to grow in League One.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.