Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by brommers95 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:03 pm

Wanderers legend and somebody who's been mentioned in this thread before, Viv Solomon-Otabor has signed for St.Johnstone until January. If he does well there and gets fit he could be an option in Janaury.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:57 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 pm
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:01 pm
The likes of Coventry, Millwall, Blackpool, Luton, Peterborough, Hull, Preston, Barnsley and Huddersfield are the teams where we're most likely to find those guys.
ALRIGHT BROMMERS I'LL GET ROUND TO IT

Bleedin' hell :mrgreen:
Done it yet?
It doesn't happen at the flick of a switch m8, like boiling a kettle :mrgreen:
Excuses! :spank:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:14 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:03 pm
Wanderers legend and somebody who's been mentioned in this thread before, Viv Solomon-Otabor.....
I know I must have seen him play, and maybe it's my advancing years, but :conf: ?
May the bridges I burn light your way

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:14 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:03 pm
Wanderers legend and somebody who's been mentioned in this thread before, Viv Solomon-Otabor.....
I know I must have seen him play, and maybe it's my advancing years, but :conf: ?
Was signed by Parky in Feb 2017, going on to make four sub appearances for a total of 72 minutes :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:57 pm

I don't think VSO is good enough, to be honest.

If I had to bet I would say Evatt and Markham are looking at players they think can play in the Championship - whether that's now or after some development work.

Evatt has said he has targets who will massively improve us and I am inclined to believe him. I don't look at VSO as a player who is better than Dapo, Kachunga or (from a limited showing) Amaechi.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:57 pm
I don't think VSO is good enough, to be honest.

If I had to bet I would say Evatt and Markham are looking at players they think can play in the Championship - whether that's now or after some development work.

Evatt has said he has targets who will massively improve us and I am inclined to believe him. I don't look at VSO as a player who is better than Dapo, Kachunga or (from a limited showing) Amaechi.
I don’t rate him either. We can do better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:10 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 pm
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:01 pm
The likes of Coventry, Millwall, Blackpool, Luton, Peterborough, Hull, Preston, Barnsley and Huddersfield are the teams where we're most likely to find those guys.
ALRIGHT BROMMERS I'LL GET ROUND TO IT

Bleedin' hell :mrgreen:
Done it yet?
Actually, turns out for most teams I already have. Excuse repeat:

BARNSLEY
(posted Thu 18 Nov) viewtopic.php?p=1120480#p1120480
Ben Williams - Preston-born former Wales U21 left-(wing-)back came up through Blackburn's academy. "A technically gifted left-back who likes to get forward to support the attack... [his] propensity to 'get stuck in' saw him become a fans favourite" as Barnsley bounced back out of this division in 2018/19. Also a second-tier regular in 2019/20 but then a summer knee injury wiped out his 2020/21 and he's been in and out this season - more out than in, not playing since Oct 2nd. He's 23 in March, contract elapses in summer.

Jordan Williams - right-(wing-)back who has also played across defence. Again, injured in 2020 and hasn't really settled back in since, although he seems to be slightly ahead of Ben Williams on the left. Just turned 22, contract up in summer.

Aapo Halme - 6'5" centre-back (all Bolton fans burst into tears of joy) signed from Leeds in 2019. Yet another who had injury problems in 2020/21 - I can hear Raymond Verheijen laughing - he only started three games that season and although now fit hasn't been in a matchday squad since September. Has also played holding midfield. "He's no' Finnish, he's 23." Contract up in summer, though club has an extension option.

George Miller - forward, I mentioned him on last deadline day: “Bolton-born nephew of Mark Halsey, came up through Bury's academy, scored 15 goals in 47 third-tier games, earned a move to Boro who then shunted him sideways to Barnsley. He's since been loaned out to car-crash Bradford and then Scunny, hasn't worked. Still only 23. Described as strong and pacey, can play across front three, and last year the Barnsley gaffer said "he shows me a very good picture from the physical side and running side. He has a big impact." He played the 90 minutes for them at our place - on the right of midfield in a 3-4-3 - having 75 touches (only four players had more), 79% accurate passing, three key passes (only one player had more), six accurate cross (game's highest) our of 12 (only Isgrove had more attempts). But not a second in the league yet this season.” Barnsley lent him to D4 Walsall and he’s scored 7 in 11; it’s a season-long loan but could we persuade them to see if he can cut it a division higher, a la Kioso?

BLACKPOOL
(Posted Wed 27 Oct) viewtopic.php?p=1118757#p1118757
CJ Hamilton – 26 years old, 6ft 1in, prefers left wing but can play right or up top – hadn’t played above L2 before Neil Critchley took him to Blackpool on a three-year contract in July 2020. Played 22 times in their promotion season, scoring 5. Hasn’t been in a Champo matchday squad since August (when he was twice subbed on, twice subbed off).

Bez Lubala - right-footed left winger (can also play on the right). Scored 12 in 34 League Two games for Crawley in 2019/20; moved up a league to Blackpool in summer 2020 (three-year contract), played 12 third-tier games until Feb 6th, but hasn’t played since due to a “club matter”. Unregistered but still around - played a non-competitive game for them in October.

Last January Blackpool loaned Everton striker Eliis Simms, who then scored 8 in 21. Oldham-born, 6ft 1in, he’s 20 (underage) and hasn’t gone anywhere this season - unused sub in four first-team Everton games, after being injured all summer. Blackpool’s chief exec hasn’t ruled out going back in for him in January, and the lad’s out of contract in summer.

Striker Joe Nuttall is out of contract in summer. Bury-born six-footer, 24, was on City’s books, moved to Aberdeen for two years then back down to Blackburn at age 20, Blackpool at 22. Not exactly goal-strewn (15 in 87).

Teddy Howe. Right back, sadly not the son of Eddie Howe. One of Blackpool’s last signings before Critchley arrived, he hasn’t played a minute under the newish gaffer. Contracted for another 18 months but last January Critchley said he could leave.

Matty Virtue - defensive midfielder, 24, who came up through Liverpool’s ranks the year below MJ Williams. Did his cruciate at the end of last season but could be back in January. Blackpool have extended his contract but might want to loan him out.

Kevin Stewart - yet another defensive midfielder who used to play for Liverpool, where Jurgen Klopp called him the best tackler at the club. Now 28, he’s had minor injury niggles (foot, etc) this season so again they might want to loan him. Contracted until 2023.

COVENTRY
(Posted Sun 21 Nov) viewtopic.php?p=1120865#p1120865
Jordan Shipley, a six-foot left-sided midfielder who's just turned 24, played 31 times in Cov's promotion season and 27 last season, but not a minute this – and his contract expires next summer. Asked about the prospects of a January loan, Mark Robins was cagey rather than dismissive. A local lad who's come up two divisions with the club, he won't be begging to leave but is clearly drifting away. 19 goals and 14 assists from 151 games in all comps; can play wide left, central or at 10.

Bright Enobakhare, a 23-year-old striker who scored 6 and created 3 in 18 third-tier games for Cov on loan from Wolves, has ended his second spell early by mutual consent. Mark Robins wished him the best but said "Sometimes you’re a free spirit and you want to be able to do what you want to do and that doesn’t always work in environments like the football environment."

Julien Da Costa - French-Senegalese right-back (25) who's now third in their queue in that position. Contracted to 2023 though.

HUDDERSFIELD
Reece Brown - creative midfielder (at 10 or  who played for England U16, U17, U18 and U20 before "manning up" with FGR, hitting double figures for goals and assists in 2018/19 and being elected to the divisional PFA Team of the Year. That summer he went to Huddersfield, freshly relegated from the top flight, on a three-year deal which lapses this summer. Unable to get in the squad, he went on a Jan-Jun loan to Peterborough, then again for the whole of last season, playing 38 times as they got promoted but cash-savvy Posh didn't want to buy him: “Reece has been brilliant for us," said Barry Fry, "but we think we can do better for the money.” Now 25, he hasn't played a minute this season; hasn't even been on the bench since August.

Mipo Odubeko - 19-year-old West Ham loanee forward, who has played in the past alongside Dapo. Was loaned to Huddersfield for the season but hasn't been playing, and rather upset Hammers fans by calling Jess Lingard the GOAT after his goal for Yernited *against* West Ham. Anyways, he came off the bench in the Terriers' first four games after the loan, but was then ignored for the next eight. After scoring a couple of bangers in a friendly during the latest international break he made it as far as the bench again yesterday but wasn't used. Possible Dapo could have a word and that the Hammers could see more benefit in him dropping a division.

HULL
Randell Williams - I mentioned him in summer when he left Exeter: "24-year-old Londoner Williams, who scored the equaliser in our last home game, is a right winger who can also play right-back, and came up through the Spurs, Palace and Watford academies; he was one of L2's leading assisters last season and almost moved to an unnamed L1 team in January but couldn't agree terms, and Exeter have been resigned since to losing him." As it turned out he vaulted straight past League One - where he played 20 times for Wycombe - into Hull's freshly-promoted second-tier squad, but before yesterday he'd only played five times (two starts), and four of them were in August. He's had Covid and the odd knock but has also simply been left out. Let's see if yesterday's 19-minute sub appearance is a blip for the man who the season before last got 14 assists in 37 D4 games and has also played on the left.

Brandon Fleming - Attacking left-back, played 10 times for us on loan in early 2020; has only played 10 times since, including just once this season. Was on the bench in the league opener but hasn't been in the match day squad since. In Nov 2020 the club extended his contract to 2023, with a year's option.

Josh Emmanuel - another we know. In and out of their line-up. Contracted until summer, though they have a year's option.

LUTON
Carlos Mendes Gomes - Morecambe's star man last season – 15 goals without playing centre-forward – was (IIRC) linked with us but jumped up to the second tier. However, Nathan Jones has been hesitant to use him: one league start (in September), and in the last seven league games the Senegal-born Spaniard has been an unused sub once and out of the 18 altogether six times. He scored Luton's consolation in a behind-closed-doors friendly v a Brentford XI last week. Only 23 so Luton may decide he needs a bit more game time to develop.

MILLWALL
Ben Thompson - Livewire midfielder who has played 89 third-tier and 75 second-tier games – mainly at 8 with some 10 – since coming through Millwall's academy, but only once in the league this season. Now 26, he's out of contract in summer and Gary Rowett, who has praised his dedication, has said he can leave in January for first-team football. Three years ago he went on loan to Pompey, whom he helped to boss the third tier with a local journalist hailing the "beautiful simplicity to the 25-year-old’s football, married with the kind of honest graft and drive which separates winners from the pack". They're tried to sign him since and possibly will again: this summer, Danny Cowley hailed him as "a player with huge energy, an infectious enthusiasm and a really good timer and arriver."

PETERBOROUGH
(Posted Thu 28 Oct) viewtopic.php?p=1118767#p1118767
Idris Kanu, a right-winger who can also play left or up top, made 17 league appearances as Posh went up last season, but this term has only appeared three times, all off the bench. He’s still only 21 but contracted till 2023.

PRESTON - yeah alright, I’ll get on it.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Cheers DSB.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Yes, thank you for taking the time to research and post these suggestions. They always make for intriguing reading.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm

A pleasure, thanks for saying. Preston tomorrow - search interrupted by band rehearsal

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm
Preston tomorrow
Josh Murphy wants out of his loan there and his deal at Cardiff expires in the summer. Would be an outrageous signing, frankly, but amazingly he's still only 26 and he needs a manager who will back him and give him regular football. Finances would be a struggle.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:46 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 pm
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm
Preston tomorrow
Josh Murphy wants out of his loan there and his deal at Cardiff expires in the summer. Would be an outrageous signing, frankly, but amazingly he's still only 26 and he needs a manager who will back him and give him regular football. Finances would be a struggle.
Suppose the possibility of pulling that one off is likely to come about due to whether or not his desire to get out of his loan is down to location reasons or whether its footballing reasons. Would suspect we'd be a good loan destination.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Mar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:46 am
Suppose the possibility of pulling that one off is likely to come about due to whether or not his desire to get out of his loan is down to location reasons or whether its footballing reasons. Would suspect we'd be a good loan destination.
Doesn't matter, apparently. Spoke to a mate of mine this morning and whilst he is wanting out he can only go back to Cardiff as there are registration issues. Not sure exactly what they are, but I don't think he can sign for another club this season. McCarthy got sacked, so he might actually get a game at Cardiff now if Preston allow him to go.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:08 pm

He played for his parent club before signing on loan. Players can only play for two clubs during one season (the rule was temporarily relaxed during COVID but I presume it's now been reinstated).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:13 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:08 pm
He played for his parent club before signing on loan. Players can only play for two clubs during one season (the rule was temporarily relaxed during COVID but I presume it's now been reinstated).
Ah, he played for Cardiff already? That'd do it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:47 pm

Gah, of course - I forgot that rule. There’s a couple of players I’ve mentioned as already being on loan but possibly could switch up (or down) a division, but nit if they’ve also played for their parent club (or might be wanted to). The Boltonian striker (George… Miller?) Barnsley have lent to D4 is one example. The West Ham lad at Huddersfield we might have more chance with.

Worth noting it doesn’t matter if we buy out their contract and sign them permanently rather than on loan - I believe the “two clubs” rule doesn’t count then.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:47 pm
Worth noting it doesn’t matter if we buy out their contract and sign them permanently rather than on loan - I believe the “two clubs” rule doesn’t count then.
Fairly certain it does. It was brought in to prevent clubs buying players in and then rapidly loaning them out during a season.

If that doesn't count then the rule is completely useless.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:47 pm
Fairly certain it does. It was brought in to prevent clubs buying players in and then rapidly loaning them out during a season.

If that doesn't count then the rule is completely useless.
Think you've got me the wrong way round. I'm talking about, for instance, Cardiff being able to sell* Murphy to a third club. Are we saying they legally can't? Or that they can, but he can't play for them?

*Or release.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm

Quote went wrong
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Interesting - and daft. Oh well. Ta.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.