Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Mar » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:38 am
Anyone know if any players have recently been released we might be interested in? Probably a long shot but we have a slot in the squad for a 'Karl Henry' sort I guess?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler

or if you want specific to league one...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... e&yt0=Show

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:24 am

Mar wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:07 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Anyone know if any players have recently been released we might be interested in? Probably a long shot but we have a slot in the squad for a 'Karl Henry' sort I guess?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler

or if you want specific to league one...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... e&yt0=Show
Daniel Sturridge is on a free. Job done. Chris and Ian can thank me later..... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jack Wilshire was mentioned earlier, I note.

I believe he was off to Italy but it appears to have fallen through. Whatever we can pay him is still better than his current nowt-a-week.

Also, and I may get stick for this, but I really wouldn't mind seeing us give a one year deal to David Nugent.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:37 am

Going off the list Joe Dodoo is a free agent. 20 games for Wigan last season 4 goals 3 assists.

Surely he'd be a reasonable option for a deal till January - can play a few roles in the front 3?

I get he might want a long deal or too much - but I'd rather have Dodoo as an option whilst Baka and Xav are getting fit and Kacha up to speed than nothing.....

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Forget the likes of Sturridge and Wilshire, neither are coming here and hopefully neither is Joe Dodoo. If we’re going to bring someone in they need to be better than what we have or what’s the point? Let’s just stick with what we have, get the injured back ASAP and see what happens in January if we’re still in the top half, which I believe we will be.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Forget the likes of Sturridge and Wilshire, neither are coming here and hopefully neither is Joe Dodoo. If we’re going to bring someone in they need to be better than what we have or what’s the point? David Nugent could be a good shout and is at least a proven goal scorer at a higher level but maybe we should just stick with what we have, get the injured back ASAP and see what happens in January if we’re still in the top half, which I believe we will be.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:45 pm

I think we've brought in a handful of good players, with a few (Afolayan, Sheehan, Johnston) we can hope are either capable of competing at a higher level should we reach it or could earn us a fairly substantial windfall should they attract interest from other clubs. Taking the long view, that is probably the most encouraging thing about the transfer window. We haven't had "assets" among the playing staff, or at least haven't had assets and been in a position to demand full value from them, for a long time.

I think where my opinion differs from the majority is on our strength in depth, as I don't think we have quite as much of it as others seem to. That is where I expect us to run into difficulties; we are likely going to have to be reliant on being fortunate with injuries and we've already made a poor start on that front.

We have a competitive squad of players though, even if it's not of the standard of the best in the league, and that's to be expected considering where the club is currently.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:47 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Forget the likes of Sturridge and Wilshire, neither are coming here and hopefully neither is Joe Dodoo. If we’re going to bring someone in they need to be better than what we have or what’s the point? Let’s just stick with what we have, get the injured back ASAP and see what happens in January if we’re still in the top half, which I believe we will be.
If Bakayoko and Ameachi were fit we'd not be looking at forward options. So is it a case of someone 'better than what we have' or someone who is better than not having an option at all?

Anyone who thinks we were ever or will be bringing in an Eoin Doyle type signing at this level needs to give their heads a wobble. If Evatt could get a second 20 goal a season man he would or a guaranteed sort of player like that he would. But reality is we're recruiting the versatile front line types we are for a reason.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:49 pm

Sorry guys, tried to amend my original comment but it’s applied both. Then tried to delete but either I’m thick (probable) or there wasn’t an obvious way to!! 😩

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
If Bakayoko and Ameachi were fit we'd not be looking at forward options. So is it a case of someone 'better than what we have' or someone who is better than not having an option at all?

Anyone who thinks we were ever or will be bringing in an Eoin Doyle type signing at this level needs to give their heads a wobble. If Evatt could get a second 20 goal a season man he would or a guaranteed sort of player like that he would. But reality is we're recruiting the versatile front line types we are for a reason.

Agree with that Insane, we have to accept where we are financially and when everyone’s fit we should be on blob but I still believe we do need another striker in case Doyle gets injured and we shouldn’t forget he’s 33 now. Baka is an option but hardly prolific although Kacha may be another option when fit. We’re still financially strapped of course so expectations have to be realistic. As said earlier though, maybe a short term contract for someone like Nugent might be worth a shout at this level. He’s 36 now but should still be more than effective in L1.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:49 pm
Sorry guys, tried to amend my original comment but it’s applied both. Then tried to delete but either I’m thick (probable) or there wasn’t an obvious way to!! 😩
No bother. I realised what you'd done and deleted one thread. If you want to delete, just click on the X on the top of the post/duplicate you want to delete. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:55 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:45 pm
I think we've brought in a handful of good players, with a few (Afolayan, Sheehan, Johnston) we can hope are either capable of competing at a higher level should we reach it or could earn us a fairly substantial windfall should they attract interest from other clubs. Taking the long view, that is probably the most encouraging thing about the transfer window. We haven't had "assets" among the playing staff, or at least haven't had assets and been in a position to demand full value from them, for a long time.

I think where my opinion differs from the majority is on our strength in depth, as I don't think we have quite as much of it as others seem to. That is where I expect us to run into difficulties; we are likely going to have to be reliant on being fortunate with injuries and we've already made a poor start on that front.

We have a competitive squad of players though, even if it's not of the standard of the best in the league, and that's to be expected considering where the club is currently.
Think this exactly is where I sit. We've got a decent competitive squad and our first 12-14 choices is probably right up there in this league. But I think the big boys in this league have much better in reserve than we do. You can see it with Oxford who had a number of key players missing yet still looked a very very good side. I'm not convinced we can do the same - depends on luck.

I think we're very reliant on Doyle, Jones, MJ, Dapo, Baka (when fit), Santos, Sarce, Sheehan - I suspect all of those players would be significant issues if they were missing. And unless Gilks sorts himself out add Dixon into that list.

I think we're in a far better place than we could have dreamed of back in the summer. But as ever its a double edged sword - the expectation has been raised arguably to unrealistic levels. I came into the season reasonably expecting nice a dull mid table safety. And I think a lot of Bolton fans expect us to be challenging the bigger sides right at the top with the money. And I think IE has built a TEAM that can do that. But not a squad. And I'm not sure he could have done anything else.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Dodoo not a bad shout. Only query would be why he keeps ending up on short term deals? Why didn’t Wigan keep him on?

Wilshere would do a lot worse than come here…forward thinking manager who plays a style of play to suit him. We’re probably well stocked on centre mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:

Agree with that Insane, we have to accept where we are financially and when everyone’s fit we should be on blob but I still believe we do need another striker in case Doyle gets injured and we shouldn’t forget he’s 33 now. Baka is an option but hardly prolific although Kacha may be another option when fit. We’re still financially strapped of course so expectations have to be realistic. As said earlier though, maybe a short term contract for someone like Nugent might be worth a shout at this level. He’s 36 now but should still be more than effective in L1.
David Nugent last 3 seasons (20 odd of these games in league 2).

76 games - 5 goals.

Are we really honestly saying a 36 year old bloke who scored 2 in 20 odd for Tranmere last year a league below is a better shout based on his form close to a decade ago than Dodoo who from the left scored 4 and set up 3 in 20 last season for Wigan?

I've always liked Nugent but isn't he just a name rather than really a player who'd make a difference at this level now?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:20 pm

I can see why he hasn't added just anybody; the main problem as I see it is lack of depth at the No9 position, and I guess Kachunga is now chief standby there. He didn't excel last night but he didn't look hopeless and I think he'll be fine.

Have to say though that I'm disappointed we couldn't loan in anyone. I said a while back that I suspected the Big Prem Clubs would have too many suitors for their star kids, but also that Champo clubs would be lending out theirs, as worked for several promotion-chasers last season. To hear that we fell down when asking a fellow League One club for a lend - well, I have to say that's a bit of a disappointment.

Below is a list, pared down from the BBC, of third-tier clubs' incoming business yesterday. It was busy. Many squads got strengthened.

23:45 Jonathan Leko [Birmingham - Charlton] Loan
23:30 Sam Lavelle [Morecambe - Charlton] Undisclosed
23:15 Charlie Lakin [Birmingham - Burton] Loan
23:00 Will Grigg [Sunderland - Rotherham] Loan
23:00 Mahlon Romeo [Millwall - Portsmouth] Loan
22:57 J'Neil Bennett [Spurs - Crewe] Loan
22:53 Daniel Jebbison [Sheffield United - Burton] Loan
22:45 Curtis Tilt [Rotherham - Wigan] Loan
22:29 Jason Kerr [St Johnstone - Wigan] Undisclosed
21:55 Thorben Hoffmann [Bayern Munich - Sunderland] Loan
21:30 Sam Morsy [Middlesbrough - Ipswich] Undisclosed
21:30 Charlie Kelman [QPR - Gillingham] Loan
21:30 Rodrigo Vilca [Newcastle - Doncaster] Loan
21:26 Kyle Joseph [Swansea - Cheltenham] Loan
21:00 Sam Hughes [Leicester - Burton] Loan
19:30 Leon Dajaku [Union Berlin - Sunderland] Loan
18:57 Harry Chapman [Blackburn - Burton] Loan
18:51 Joe Bennett [Cardiff - Wigan] Free
18:16 Peter Kioso [Luton - MK Dons] Loan
18:00 Jamie Robson [Dundee United - Lincoln] Undisclosed
17:30 Conor Coventry [West Ham - Peterborough] Loan
17:15 Christian Norton [Stoke - Cheltenham] Loan
16:30 Harry Arter [Nottingham Forest - Charlton] Loan
15:45 Saido Berahino [Zulte Waregem - Sheffield Wednesday] Undisclosed
12:00 Jovan Malcolm [West Brom - Accrington] Loan
11:00 Ben Davis [Fulham - Oxford] Undisclosed
08:30 Bersant Celina [Dijon - Ipswich] Loan

Now, thankfully we can look back on a good window overall – we've added depth in all five zones (GK, DEF, DM, AM, FWD) and at least three of those signings (Johnston, Sheehan, Dapo) look very promising indeed. I'm just not getting the feeling we were very proactive yesterday, and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

Last summer's major failing, in retrospect, was that our two LWB signings didn't work: Gordon wasn't ready and Mascoll was no good. We now have a more balanced squad with better competition for most positions but I do fear that we're very reliant on Doyler and MJ, with Jones also short on rivals. (I genuinely think Isgrove could do a job there, but only if we can replace him further forward... which is where some loanee legs might have helped.)

Tempted to look at free transfers but unless they were released very recently, ie had a pre-season somewhere, they'll be so below Evatt's fitness levels that they won't be ready much before Baka/Amaechi anyway. So indeed we go with what we have - and it should be enough to bob around the middle third of the division.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:23 pm

My Tranmere mate said Nugent was dreadful for them. He's now raging because they've replaced his 'goals' with a similarly ageing Nicky Maynard :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:42 pm

Agree @DSB. Only thing I'd say is there is a difference between lots of deadline day signings and having a good side.

We are light in quality. I suspect we always were going to be. But we just have to hope we survive without injuries. For me if we get luck we'll challenge for the play offs. If we have bad luck with injuries staying up could be an issue. Those are the margins. But we're much stronger than we have been for a while.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 pm

Joe Dodoo all day long for me. He is an odd one that never hangs around anywhere but i saw enough of him last time to know he'd do a job for us, even on a short term deal.

I liked Josh Emmanuel too. He's no longer getting in Hull's team and i thought we might have got him on loan.

Hopefully we get through to the January window in good shape and add some quality/cover then.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Totally agree on the depth point. Seems to me that when with everyone fit 10 of the 11 picks itself (Dixon, Jones, Santos, Johnston, John, MJ, Sarc, Sheehan, [x], Doyle, Dapo).

Outside that list there's only really Baptiste and Lee who could come in for the above and I wouldn't think "oh feck that's a weakness".

Guess it takes time and a few windows if you haven't got tonnes of money to chuck at it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:42 pm
Agree @DSB. Only thing I'd say is there is a difference between lots of deadline day signings and having a good side.

We are light in quality. I suspect we always were going to be. But we just have to hope we survive without injuries. For me if we get luck we'll challenge for the play offs. If we have bad luck with injuries staying up could be an issue. Those are the margins. But we're much stronger than we have been for a while.
Agreed on all that. To me it feels like Rioch's second season where we hired a few players (Phillips, Coyle, Thompson, Davison, Fulton) – they didn't all work but some did, and we were comfortable but never threatened. Then the following season we signed some more key players - Paatelainen, Sneekes, the underheralded Coleman - and cameos from Bergsson and DeFreitas helped us over the line.

High bar but that's where we're at and really, any team after promotion has to hire, or any momentum is illusory. As I say in Sheehan, Johnston and Dapo we have signed players who IMO might get to the next level, with or without us, while strengthening other departments with solid third-tier players (eg Bakayoko, maybe Aimson). I'd hope John and Kachunga would be able to step up again - they've played second-tier before - but we'll see.

And this is, by the way, not me merrily belly-flopping onto the promotion bandwagon, which has itself lost a little momentum in a week of two defeats and a narrow squeak against Fourth Division oppo. I don't think we *need* to go up this season and I don't think we will; like you I think we're somewhere in the middle of this division but a run of form - bad or good - could change that.