Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:07 pm
Don’t care how old Jags is. He’d add something we haven’t got. A physical and experienced centre back. I’d have him any day of any week. Obviously prove his fitness first though. Shame we went for Aimson. Jags would have been a great get for fourth CB.
Don't we already have Alex Baptiste? I also thought you were one of the anti-sub 6ft centre back brigade?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm

We have enough Central Defenders: Santos, Baptiste, Johnston, Aimson, Edwards, Senior, and dare I say Greenidge. Why would we need a 39 y.o. Jags?? How many games would he be able to play at his age and fitness levels? We already have Baptiste and Gilks experience at the Back. Do we have money to burn?? Do we want unhappy CHs sitting on the bench or outside of match day squads?

Can't see us doing this while we have only Sarcs as our #10. That is where our money should be going. We need another attacking central midfielder and another Centre Forward, Left Back , possibly a Right Back, then apart from outgoings, we are done with our business until January.
Last edited by irie Cee Bee on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:07 pm
Don’t care how old Jags is. He’d add something we haven’t got. A physical and experienced centre back. I’d have him any day of any week. Obviously prove his fitness first though. Shame we went for Aimson. Jags would have been a great get for fourth CB.
Don't we already have Alex Baptiste? I also thought you were one of the anti-sub 6ft centre back brigade?
Jagielka is more your traditional body on the line block it at all costs type and I think that sort of game would help out Santos. Baptiste is good and experienced but I’d say with all due respect to AB he’s not played at the level Jags has.

As for height I’d agree ideally we’d have another 6ft5 monster. But doesn’t seem like we will be adding that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:29 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm
We have enough Central Defenders: Santos, Baptiste, Johnston, Aimson, Edwards, Senior, and dare I say Greenidge. Why would we need a 39 y.o. Jags?? How many games would he be able to play at his age and fitness levels? We already have Baptiste and Gilks experience at the Back. Do we have money to burn?? Do we want unhappy CHs sitting on the bench or outside of match day squads?

Can't see us doing this while we have only Sarcs as our #10. That is where our money should be going. We need another attacking central midfielder and another Centre Forward, Left Back , possibly a Right Back, then we are done with our business until January.
Yeah priority has to be other positions but if you have a player with that sort of experience you have a look at least and see what he can add.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 pm

If we were to sign up Jags I don't think we'd be getting him in for centre back. Evatt said how many centre backs he wanted and he got them. Jagielka spent a lot of his career in midfield, covering in front of a back four and spraying the ball out. We have depth in midfield, but no competition for Williams as a sitting mid who can drop back as a third centre back when needed.

I could only see him coming in for that sort of role and probably as a player coach of some sort. As ever, I could be wrong.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:19 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 pm
If we were to sign up Jags I don't think we'd be getting him in for centre back. Evatt said how many centre backs he wanted and he got them. Jagielka spent a lot of his career in midfield, covering in front of a back four and spraying the ball out. We have depth in midfield, but no competition for Williams as a sitting mid who can drop back as a third centre back when needed.

I could only see him coming in for that sort of role and probably as a player coach of some sort. As ever, I could be wrong.
You think at his age Jagielka could do the midfield role? Not done that for a while has he? We do need cover there in my view.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:19 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

You think at his age Jagielka could do the midfield role? Not done that for a while has he? We do need cover there in my view.
'owd up I thought you didn't care how old he was? :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:19 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

'owd up I thought you didn't care how old he was? :D

At CB. Moving him into midfield when he’s not played there for a decade in a role that is more testing on the legs and stamina to be is more unlikely, worked for Hierro I guess….

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:47 pm

TBF Hierro had played in midfield many times before. I think Jagz has as well. He also functioned as emergency goalkeeper when Warnock went years without naming a glovewearer among his three subs. So maybe that's Evatt's thinking...

...but no, it seems he's just training, and IMO that's best for all - a la Charlie Adam last year.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:37 pm
At CB. Moving him into midfield when he’s not played there for a decade in a role that is more testing on the legs and stamina to be is more unlikely, worked for Hierro I guess….
I'd much rather have him as a sitting mid than a centre back at his age. Centre backs are required to chase back and demonstrate at least a degree of mobility. There's a reason Campo was useless at centre back for us and exceptional in midfield. A holding midfield role is the least demanding on the field, in terms of athletic ability. It's the same reason Williams fitted us like a glove, but struggled at Blackpool....he moves like he's pulling a caravan. Also why forwards like Yorke and Rooney end up there.

As DSB says, looks like we are just doing him a favour.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:54 am

Jagielka won't be training with us.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ssion=true
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:59 pm

A couple of guys mentioned previously in this thread have joined Salford:
Matty Lund, CM (Rochdale)
Conor McAleny, ST (Oldham)

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:59 pm
A couple of guys mentioned previously in this thread have shown a complete lack of ambition by joining 4th division Salford.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:46 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:59 pm
A couple of guys mentioned previously in this thread have shown a complete lack of ambition by joining 4th division Salford.
Money talks loudly to some people I guess.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:17 pm

It's probably their last major contract - one is nearly 29 and the other 30. I don't begrudge them taking the money, it's not like they're going to win anything major anywhere else.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:17 pm
It's probably their last major contract - one is nearly 29 and the other 30. I don't begrudge them taking the money, it's not like they're going to win anything major anywhere else.
Exactly. Why wouldn't they? They won't have made their millions. They can't retire at 35 and live off their earnings for life. Good luck to them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:17 pm
Exactly. Why wouldn't they? They won't have made their millions. They can't retire at 35 and live off their earnings for life. Good luck to them.
They should've displayed more ambition in the first place then, shouldn't they?! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:56 am

Evatt: “I still think we’re one or two light, especially when we lose a couple out of a squad. I would think there would be probably four or five exits and then one or two more real bits of quality coming in later on.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -signings/

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:06 am

And the exits are; Ali, Fonz, Greenidge, Comley and Gordon. Only one I’d think of keeping is Young Gordon who seemed to do well out on loan and with the reserve side available next year, could learn alongside our other young players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:55 am

Whitesince63 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:06 am
And the exits are; Ali, Fonz, Greenidge, Comley and Gordon. Only one I’d think of keeping is Young Gordon who seemed to do well out on loan and with the reserve side available next year, could learn alongside our other young players.
I’d like to see Delf get another go. I think we need an attacking mid and left back. Probably another striker. Delf staying would cover across front 3. It’s also possible Darcy on way out for loan I guess. Lad needs first team football.