Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2021 2:59 pm

We can post this without being presumptuous now. Feels like we certainly need reinforcements next season, although our bench served us pretty well, this season and got us important goals and points. It also feels like there might need to be a bit of a shopping list.

GK, we need at least cover.

RB also needs cover or at least some competition for Jones.

CB another good CB wouldn't go amiss.

LB we could need none, one or two here, wouldn't be unhappy to go with Jackson/John.

Def midfield feels like we might have too many of wrong quality that don't make the bench. At least one required.

RW/LW, Dapo isn't ours but I think last 10 games Isgrove stepped up and added goals. Not sure Delf and King Arthur will make the step-up.

AMC competition for Sarce.

Upfront, needs one, if we're only playing one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Oh. Kettle. We need a spare kettle.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun May 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Oh. Kettle. We need a spare kettle.
:lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Will probably do a fuller version of my thoughts later in the week - work's a bit full-on at the mo - but I think we need about 10 signings to have competition in every position.

Remember we will have a squad size limit - I think it's 22 again next season but I have a vague notion it might change. Anyway let's call it 22 for now, that's essentially two XIs.

Players are deemed underage (and thus not counted against the total) if they were born on or after 1 Jan 2000: so Tomo, Politic, Darcy, Senior, King-Harmes, Alexander and Graham (assuming some of them re-sign) WON'T count against the total, but Liam Gordon, Brocky and Hickman (if we trigger his retention clause) will not.

GK: Gilks + competition
RB: Jones + competition
CB: Santos + competition
CB: Baptiste + competition- possibly Brockbank
LB: first-teamer + competition – John and Jackson would suit me but I'm open-minded on it
DM: MJ + competition
DM: Lee + Tomo [underage]
RW: Isgrove + Politic [underage]
AM: Sarce + Delf? Or do we bin him? + Darcy [underage], theoretically
LW: first-teamer (Dapo?) + competition
CF: Doyle + competition

Tomo's promise as an underage player almost gives us a "spare space" if we want to get, I dunno, another AM.

I'm aware I've excluded some overage players we have contracted for next season (Reiss Greenidge, Liam Edwards, Liam Gordon, Brandon Comley, Ali Crawford) but there's a reason for that: I think we should move them on if possible.

We also have several contracts lapsing this summer - Baptiste, Brockbank, Delaney, Mascoll, Jones, Hickman, Tutte, Isgrove, Miller, Faal and Gnahoua, along with underagers Alexander, Senior, Graham and King-Harmes - but again, if they're not mentioned above, there's a reason for that too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Aren’t we out of embargo now?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:37 pm
I believe so (or will be when window opens). Last window, every signing we made, Evatt said we'd signed the complete <insert position here>. With hindsight he mighta been taking to pi$$ out of Phoenix.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The initial term of punishment elapses this summer so we should be free to sign players for cash, assuming we wish to (and that any remaining debts have been cleared or rearranged).

However, I believe there's still a squad limit size on *all* teams, isn't there? Anyway, even if not, 22's a good size to aim at :mrgreen:

EDIT EFL wants to impose a 20-player limit for next season - PFA was threatening legal action.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56666478

There will be lots of free transfers this summer...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 4:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The initial term of punishment elapses this summer so we should be free to sign players for cash, assuming we wish to (and that any remaining debts have been cleared or rearranged).

However, I believe there's still a squad limit size on *all* teams, isn't there? Anyway, even if not, 22's a good size to aim at :mrgreen:
Must have missed it. 20. PFA challenging it though. Abs they successfully challenged and removed the salary cap that went alongside the squad limit so possible they could stop this too. Let’s hope so.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 4:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Must have missed it. 20. PFA challenging it though. As they successfully challenged and removed the salary cap that went alongside the squad limit so possible they could stop this too. Let’s hope so.
I mean, I don't want us to have 40 players on the books, but it would be annoying if a stubbornly unshiftable Greenidge stopped us getting a player we might use.

It's obviously still TBD – Port Vale CEO said last week that clubs are considering allowing squads of 22 over-21 players, excluding goalkeepers. :conf:

For now, for the purposes of this conversation, I'd say let's play by last season's rules (22 overage players, by the usual EFL definition thereof) and see what happens afterwards. Whatever the number, we need to strengthen for a new division, and we should be able to – rather than the two-dozen quantity of last summer's recruitment, we need the sort of quality we added in January, and I get the feeling a few more players will be happy to hop aboard the bus now, giving us greater scope and pull.

I'd be particularly intrigued to see which Champo-level players ended up frozen out, if there's a squad limit there. (It might be bigger than the bottom two divisions, but so is the number of payrolled players up there – ask Kieran Lee and Declan John.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Sun May 09, 2021 4:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Must have missed it. 20. PFA challenging it though. As they successfully challenged and removed the salary cap that went alongside the squad limit so possible they could stop this too. Let’s hope so.
I mean, I don't want us to have 40 players on the books, but it would be annoying if a stubbornly unshiftable Greenidge stopped us getting a player we might use.

It's obviously still TBD – Port Vale CEO said last week that clubs are considering allowing squads of 22 over-21 players, excluding goalkeepers. :conf:

For now, for the purposes of this conversation, I'd say let's play by last season's rules (22 overage players, by the usual EFL definition thereof) and see what happens afterwards. Whatever the number, we need to strengthen for a new division, and we should be able to – rather than the two-dozen quantity of last summer's recruitment, we need the sort of quality we added in January, and I get the feeling a few more players will be happy to hop aboard the bus now, giving us greater scope and pull.

I'd be particularly intrigued to see which Champo-level players ended up frozen out, if there's a squad limit there. (It might be bigger than the bottom two divisions, but so is the number of payrolled players up there – ask Kieran Lee and Declan John.)
From what I’ve heard from IE sounds like plan is for a fair bit of recruitment and sounds like targets already identified.

Yesterday we played incredibly well. If players were able to hit that level on consistent basis you’d say we wouldn’t need much. But across the season I think we need to add 4/5 first team choices into that at the least. And that of course assumes we keep those who aren’t ours.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 pm

I think the 22 would be a registration limit, not players on the books, so we'd always have the option of just not registering e.g. Greenidge, though it'd be wasted wages.

I think 20 would be too low though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Doing some work for the Athletic, I happened to come across the fact Sammy Ameobi is out of contract. So is Zach Clough, and Gary Madine, and Rob Hall, James Henry, Ben Amos, Erhun Oztumer, Darren Pratley, Toto Nsiala, Cian Bolger, Jonathan Grounds, Joe Dodoo, Alex Perry, Jamie Proctor, Viv Solomon-Otabor, Remi Matthews, Joe Mason, Mark Little, Zack Elbouzedi, Reece Burke and Josh Magennis. And that's just our ex-players in League One (bar Sammy).

Not saying we should sign any of those - although Madine's interesting considering we need a substitute striker and a Plan B - but one local-newspaper round-up listicle recently had north of 200 League One players whose contracts are elapsing.
https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... -consider/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 pm
I think the 22 would be a registration limit, not players on the books, so we'd always have the option of just not registering e.g. Greenidge, though it'd be wasted wages.
Aye. Is there still a wage cap, or was that abolished?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Sun May 09, 2021 4:58 pm
Doing some work for the Athletic, I happened to come across the fact Sammy Ameobi is out of contract. So is Zach Clough, and Gary Madine, and Rob Hall, James Henry, Ben Amos, Erhun Oztumer, Darren Pratley, Toto Nsiala, Cian Bolger, Jonathan Grounds, Joe Dodoo, Alex Perry, Jamie Proctor, Viv Solomon-Otabor, Remi Matthews, Joe Mason, Mark Little, Zack Elbouzedi, Reece Burke and Josh Magennis. And that's just our ex-players in League One (bar Sammy).

Not saying we should sign any of those - although Madine's interesting considering we need a substitute striker and a Plan B - but one local-newspaper round-up listicle recently had north of 200 League One players whose contracts are elapsing.
https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... -consider/
No to Madine. He’s had his time - and we need more mobile and up and coming type. Ameobi will be way too expensive but of those he’s the only one I’d sign and like I say probably a pipe dream. Would be an ideal Evatt player I think and offer an outlet down a flank.

But yeah I doubt any of them are coming here.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Sun May 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:42 pm
Aye. Is there still a wage cap, or was that abolished?
Think that went, announced a couple of months back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 09, 2021 5:09 pm

I'd sign Sammy but Reece Burke without a shadow of a doubt would be my number 1 pick, but he's played 30 odd games for likely champions Hull. Still only 24, good on the ball, he'd be perfect. I'd be astonished if he wasn't playing Champo football for someone next year, but I'd at least be putting in the phone call.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 5:16 pm

I put D-Pratz in there especially for you, Pru. (But he is out of contract.)

Yeah, not sure I'd bring any of those back particularly; although they weren't all bad, I'm intrigued to see who fits Evatt's idea of a player. Just listing them was a bit like watching the last few years whizz past, like a deathbed montage that makes you glad the pearly gates are creaking open.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:03 pm
No to Madine. He’s had his time - and we need more mobile and up and coming type. Ameobi will be way too expensive but of those he’s the only one I’d sign and like I say probably a pipe dream. Would be an ideal Evatt player I think and offer an outlet down a flank.
Interesting on both counts - firstly that I'm keener (albeit only theoretically and tentatively) than you into the idea of the Machine returning. He's only 30...

Also that you think Evatt would be into Ameobi. Think he'd do a shift, a la Isgrove and Dapo? I mean maybe, but I don't recall lungbursting determination as being his main Top Trump number...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun May 09, 2021 5:42 pm

Baptiste is a tough one. He's had a superb season but another year at a higher level could be too much? A year's contract with him used largely as cover perhaps? Santos would be the main man obviously, although amidst all the happiness yesterday let's not forget his awful error, first in losing the ball and then chasing after it, instead of leaving it to Baptiste/Williams and getting back in position.

Ameobi? Oh yes please. I'd hope we could agree terms with Isgrove and Afolayan too.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 pm

Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:03 pm
Interesting on both counts - firstly that I'm keener (albeit only theoretically and tentatively) than you into the idea of the Machine returning. He's only 30...

Also that you think Evatt would be into Ameobi. Think he'd do a shift, a la Isgrove and Dapo? I mean maybe, but I don't recall lungbursting determination as being his main Top Trump number...
On Madine. He worked in the side we had and found form under Parky who was a brilliant man manager. But we set up to play to him. He’s not found that form since and is a bit of an idiot. We also whilst needing variety up front aren’t going to lump it much to play on second balls so I’d rather have a taller option who is better in the air than ED but with pace who can run the channels when needed. Power up front rather than an out and out back into defenders target man for me.

On Ameobi I think he worked ever so hard and did so much defensive work. I think he was more of a workhorse than Dapo or at least equal. I suspect his gait gave the impression he didn’t put a shift in but I watched him a lot and boy did he graft for us. Asthma though so of course perhaps how much of that he can do in a season at times limited. But I mean given he’s out of our financial league it’s a non starter but he’s a very very good player for league one in my view.