Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:46 pm

I know one person who will be over the moon if we revert to a back three… 😂

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Can he cover at left back perhaps? (Never heard of him so just musing)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:11 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm
Can he cover at left back perhaps? (Never heard of him so just musing)
Think he’s right-sided

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 pm

Johnston apparently can.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Interesting signing this one. As DSB said he is a typical "right side of a three" centre back. He's also had a lot of injury issues in his career and not minor ones. Recurring hip injuries, a double break in his leg when on loan at Tranmere etc.

He's one I have kept an eye on. Not that I thought we'd get him, but he's an Evatt sort of defender and he has links to Blackpool. He's decent on the ball and good one-on-one (good body shape, timing in the tackle and communicative).

Not much getting away from the fact he's just been the mainstay of a defence that was the 5th worst over the last 5 seasons of League One football, though. He also doesn't help our set piece issues as he's not good in the air.

During his time at Blackpool Aldred and Robertson were the centre back pairing when they played a back four and when they switched to a 3 in some games Aimson came in on the right (or in the middle when Aldred was out).

Teams sign Aimson to play in a back three. So it'll be interesting to see if we play him in a 4.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:50 pm

I’m fairly relaxed as we are building a league one squad and building on last season but it would be nice to see a forward or two through the door. Given we are shopping in the free market one assumes the forwards might be loans as frees are presumably on the whole making their minds up.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Seems like we might be signing players so that can play both systems.

I'm no football expert so I'd be interested in people's opinion of how much of defending aerially is down to height and how much organisation / individual ability. With Gilks not coming for crosses that much and -other than Santos- a relatively small back line, it feels like we might struggle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:57 pm
I'm no football expert so I'd be interested in people's opinion of how much of defending aerially is down to height and how much organisation / individual ability. With Gilks not coming for crosses that much and -other than Santos- a relatively small back line, it feels like we might struggle.
You can overcome the difference of a couple of inches with athleticism and power when you make the aerial challenge. Smaller defenders can be good at challenging in the air, but if you're talking about first contact from a corner then height does matter.

I'm not sure Aimson's height is his issue in the air. He's pretty fast for a defender, but he lacks upper body strength when compared to a lot of lads at the back.

I was surprised to see he was sub 6'. This is one where I'll trust the internet, because I've never seen him in person (or at least don't remember it); but he looks taller on the pitch.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Interesting day. I know less about this chap than others but I’m not thrilled - back three flexibility aside (important to have the options I think).

Joel Dixon sounds reasonable enough and as good as it could have got for a number two keeper IMO.

And Arthur’s found his new commute -https://t.co/CwHE9OLrXp

Another to welcome back to the Reebok next season!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:42 pm

Generally speaking, if a lad is 6'2", decent on the ball, quick and can defend, he's at least in the Championship. We got lucky with Santos, because he has a lot of weaknesses in his game that our style of play covers for.

So if we are getting lads in, especially as squad depth, they will have issues somewhere. In this case, he's apparently shorter than I thought and he has had loads of injuries. Realistically, he's a decent signing for League One depth. Plus he knows some of our lads already (Delf at Blackpool, for example) and therefore we should be getting a known quantity in the dressing room.

Having a lad come in who gives us tactical options, fits our style and won't disrupt the culture is no bad thing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:42 pm
Generally speaking, if a lad is 6'2", decent on the ball, quick and can defend, he's at least in the Championship. We got lucky with Santos, because he has a lot of weaknesses in his game that our style of play covers for.

So if we are getting lads in, especially as squad depth, they will have issues somewhere. In this case, he's apparently shorter than I thought and he has had loads of injuries. Realistically, he's a decent signing for League One depth. Plus he knows some of our lads already (Delf at Blackpool, for example) and therefore we should be getting a known quantity in the dressing room.

Having a lad come in who gives us tactical options, fits our style and won't disrupt the culture is no bad thing.
Not many teams will have sub 6 foot centre backs in league one. It’s a physical league. If someone smaller is good enough to compete physically as required then they are probably an exceptional player. We had someone like Andy Todd who was a good reader of the game but we struggled against physical strikers and teams.

Physicality isn’t just height but given Baptiste is not really a physical type it worries me that we have three centre backs who arguably will be outmuscled. For all this talk about playing football we did well second half of the season because Santos headed a lot and Baps mopped up off of him. I don’t think their footballing ability was too critical to our improvement.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:14 pm
It's an interesting signing.

He was indeed a regular for Plymouth last season but it seems manager Ryan Lowe made the decision not to renew his contract, as part of an overhaul; in other words, it's not like the fella refused to sign an extension.

Despite playing for Hull, Tranmere, Blackpool and Bury, he's not a northerner – born in Dorset, he came through at Eastleigh (Hampshire) before Hull hired him. So it's not one of those Sarce/McFadzean "move back north" jobs – unless his partner's from up here or something.

He's been promoted three times, from League Two – with Blackpool, Bury and Plymouth. But here's what could be the most interesting thing: from what I know (or can research without boring myself) all three of those teams went up playing a back three system. Could it be that Evatt is getting an extra trusty body who can play that system, just in case? Might we see Aimson and Johnston either side of Santos?
Interesting observation Ghost. Evatts favorite system which would make Dapo, Politic and Isgrove redundant with John and Jones given license to bomb forward. We would also need to sign 2 more forwards in support of Doyle and Delf. Always good to have Plan B.

You were spot on re our new signing. In his Club interview, he mentioned his Partner being from "North"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:58 pm

The centre backs' ability on the ball was absolutely critical to everything we did in the second half of last season. The number of times Santos got us in by driving forward or took the ball through the press and found a pass was beyond counting - as was the number of times Baptiste found himself almost playing as a winger when he burst forward. When we were under pressure, Santos and Baps knocking it about at the back took the sting out of games.

What I will say is that Aimson is a better defender than Santos, if we're talking just reading/timing/decisions etc. Santos is just a technical and physical beast for a centre back.

Santos stepping up and dominating in the air in the 10 position was vital for us, though and that's a question mark if he gets injured. Johnston is 6'1" and aggressive, though, so maybe he is athletic enough to do that too - I honestly don't know.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:56 pm
Interesting observation Ghost. Evatts favorite system which would make Dapo, Politic and Isgrove redundant with John and Jones given license to bomb forward. We would also need to sign 2 more forwards in support of Doyle and Delf. Always good to have Plan B.
I have no issue with a back three, but I'd be surprised if Evatt switched up such a successful system. I think Aimson is a case of "Delaney has gone, so who can we get that fits the style of play?" Could be wrong, though. We might see it a bit, but I expect us to stick with a back 4.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:

He was indeed a regular for Plymouth last season but it seems manager Ryan Lowe made the decision not to renew his contract, as part of an overhaul; in other words, it's not like the fella refused to sign an extension.

Despite playing for Hull, Tranmere, Blackpool and Bury, he's not a northerner – born in Dorset, he came through at Eastleigh (Hampshire) before Hull hired him. So it's not one of those Sarce/McFadzean "move back north" jobs – unless his partner's from up here or something.

He's been promoted three times, from League Two – with Blackpool, Bury and Plymouth. But here's what could be the most interesting thing: from what I know (or can research without boring myself) all three of those teams went up playing a back three system. Could it be that Evatt is getting an extra trusty body who can play that system, just in case? Might we see Aimson and Johnston either side of Santos?

You were spot on re our new signing. In his Club interview, he mentioned his Partner being from "North"
Thanks and I’m flattered but you can’t call me that, it’ll get confusing.

For the record I don’t think the back three necessarily excludes Dapo (potential second forward), Dennis (No 10) or Isgrove (RWB), but I don’t think we should switch (or imminently will). However, it is worth keeping in the back pocket.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
I have no issue with a back three, but I'd be surprised if Evatt switched up such a successful system. I think Aimson is a case of "Delaney has gone, so who can we get that fits the style of play?" Could be wrong, though. We might see it a bit, but I expect us to stick with a back 4.
I think you're middle sentence is the answer. We need another centre back without Delaney, he fits what Evatt wants in terms of ball playing so he's a likely start the season 4th choice but good enough to pressure those ahead (and potentially fight with Baptiste of Johnston is the one to play LB if John is out.

My big worry is any injury to Santos. I haven't seen any of Johnston but at 6'1" I'd been surprised if he's great in the air. And then two sub 6'0 centre halves. Idk, it feels like a gamble.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:41 am

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:

For the record I don’t think the back three necessarily excludes Dapo (potential second forward), Dennis (No 10) or Isgrove (RWB), but I don’t think we should switch (or imminently will). However, it is worth keeping in the back pocket.
I don't think it's right to say 3 at the back is Evatt's favourite system. When he first went to Barrow he played 4231. And the majority of the people he references as inspiration tend to play 4. He fell into a 3 at Barrow (fair enough, formations are only ever a starting point) and it worked so he brought it with him, but given he was then successful with a 4 with us I'd be surprised if 3 was his favourite.

He's struggled with both, and been successful with both. But given he started with a 4, and has been more recently successful with a 4, I'd be very very surprised if he wasn't planning on going with a 4.

Which isn't to say he won't want the option of playing a 3 sometimes. But (and I bored you all to tears with it in February, albeit correctly :D ) I don't think you can play front foot, press high, football with a 352, but you can with a 343. That doesn't at all make the wingers redundant, but it would be tough to see Sarc in that.

So I don't think it hurts that the new lad can play in a 3, you might as well have the option, but given it doesn't suit our captain, nor (m)any of those here pre-Jan (and none of the rest have played it here before) I don't see it being anything other than a plan B. More likely I think it's he's a body in the door cover at CB who best case might fight with Baptiste and Johnstone to partner Santos.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:39 am

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:

Sorry DSB :D You both confuse me with your on-point in depth analysis, so much so that I no longer can differentiate you both!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:39 am
Sorry DSB :D You both confuse me with your on-point in depth analysis, so much so that I no longer can differentiate you both!
...and after DSB was considerate enough to give himself a profile picture so everyone would know it was him :wink:

I don't disagree with the people on social media who view this as a sort of "meh" signing, as it's not as romantic as stealing a Feynoord and Liverpool youngster from Wigan; but at the same time this is a lad who has been part of three promotion squads and knows League One. I disagree with the folk saying "he's slow but okay at defending", he's not rapid but he's also not slow for a lower league centre back. I watched 8-10 games of his recently and he ran down the right wing more than once, most notably vs QPR in a cup game where he took on Tom Carroll down the outside with a 40 yard run on the counter from a corner. I checked his Football Manager stats and he has pace 8 on there, so I assume that's why people think he's very slow. Certainly not a fast player, but he's fine for a centre back.

Assuming we sign that worldy keeper from Barrow I make us 2 forwards short of a full squad and 5 players (the 2 forwards, back up full backs and one more forward option) short of ideal. Given that we are not even in preseason yet, that'll do. The massive caveat being that the forwards need to be really, really good for this level for us to get anywhere.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:21 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:41 am
Which isn't to say he won't want the option of playing a 3 sometimes. But (and I bored you all to tears with it in February, albeit correctly :D ) I don't think you can play front foot, press high, football with a 352, but you can with a 343. That doesn't at all make the wingers redundant, but it would be tough to see Sarc in that.
Worth remembering that we signed Sarcevic from the same team as Aimson and we did so partly because he got promoted in a team that played 3-at-the-back like we intended to, so we knew he could come into our midfield.

When Aimson played that season he mostly came in on the right of the three (worth noting he also played in the middle when Canavan was out), with Sarcevic the most advanced of a midfield 3. So you could maybe play Sarce off a central striker if you wanted to go with wings and a 3 at the back.

There's are a few full matches knocking about on youtube if anyone fancies giving him the once over.