Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Dusty Springfield comes to mind.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 am

According to the lovely Marc Iles we were initially after 3 in January - a defensive midfielder, right back and forward. Things may now look more like last January due to the injuries. Evatt is saying we need lads in, but they have to be the right players and not panic buys.

Basically everything we have been saying in this thread. Not really saying much, but at least there's general acknowledgement of the issues.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:57 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 am
According to the love Marc Iles we were initially after 3 in January - a defensive midfielder, right back and forward. Things may now look more like last January due to the injuries. Evatt is saying we need lads in, but they have to be the right players and not panic buys.

Basically everything we have been saying in this thread. Not really saying much, but at least there's general acknowledgement of the issues.
Those are the right areas. We just have to do better than the summer.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 am

I'll be interested to see how high up we're able to get loan players from. Last season Prem players seemed to be largely out of reach (Dapo of course being a notable exception), but now we're a league up perhaps we might be able to aim at youngsters from some of the big neighbouring academies.

I guess a lot will come down to the relationships we have with other clubs at the moment. Kevin Nolan seemed to play a big part in getting Dapo to come here, so perhaps that's a vein we can look to mine again.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:08 am

Loans are bound to form a part of what we do, especially development loans which will be cheaper than other options; but they are unlikely to solve the "leadership" issue. Even kids from Prem sides are still kids.

It'll be interesting to look on Feb 1st as to where the financing has gone by section. We currently have a lot of money in attack and far less in defence. Fairly normal, but it looks like we might have to rebalance things a bit in Jan and shift investment into the centre of the pitch.

As a technical issue, I am assuming we are able to unregister Sheehan. It not a case of him having to stay registered unless he leaves the club during the season?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:08 am
Loans are bound to form a part of what we do, especially development loans which will be cheaper than other options; but they are unlikely to solve the "leadership" issue. Even kids from Prem sides are still kids.

It'll be interesting to look on Feb 1st as to where the financing has gone by section. We currently have a lot of money in attack and far less in defence. Fairly normal, but it looks like we might have to rebalance things a bit in Jan and shift investment into the centre of the pitch.

As a technical issue, I am assuming we are able to unregister Sheehan. It not a case of him having to stay registered unless he leaves the club during the season?
Yeah leadership is the least likely attribute we'd be able to find in the loan market, but that is of course far from the only thing we're lacking right now. Pace, physicality, technical ability etc are all likely going to be easier to find in loanees from higher up the pyramid than in permanent deals we'd be able to get done in January.

On Sheehan, I would guess we might be able to deregister him in Jan?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:49 am

Started the season off with the following CM's:
Comley, Sarcevic, Williams, Tutte, Sheehan, Lee, Thomason

Down to the following:
Lee, Thomason

Not being able to bring in a replacement isn't great from a league perspective. We've had a number of players further up the pitch prove capable cover down the years (Pedersen at LB, Vela at RB for example, Campo at CM).

Johnston seems like he'd be able to cover the ground and be able to pass but seems a little lightweight. Kachunga stands out as someone who could do a job there but seems to be hitting his stride further up the pitch.

It's not ideal but i'd try a range of players out there.

I'd try Gordon at LB, John in LCM.
I'd give Delfouneso a run out in CAM (he's brought in to do a job, is capable so shouldn't be a fault entirely on Evatt's part if he doesn't deliver)

Just dawned on me that this is the 2nd season in succession that we've lost a player to a lower league club (Sarce this season and Maddison last season), two different reasons of course, but still.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:13 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:49 am
Started the season off with the following CM's:
Comley, Sarcevic, Williams, Tutte, Sheehan, Lee, Thomason

Down to the following:
Lee, Thomason

Not being able to bring in a replacement isn't great from a league perspective. We've had a number of players further up the pitch prove capable cover down the years (Pedersen at LB, Vela at RB for example, Campo at CM).

Johnston seems like he'd be able to cover the ground and be able to pass but seems a little lightweight. Kachunga stands out as someone who could do a job there but seems to be hitting his stride further up the pitch.

It's not ideal but i'd try a range of players out there.

I'd try Gordon at LB, John in LCM.
I'd give Delfouneso a run out in CAM (he's brought in to do a job, is capable so shouldn't be a fault entirely on Evatt's part if he doesn't deliver)

Just dawned on me that this is the 2nd season in succession that we've lost a player to a lower league club (Sarce this season and Maddison last season), two different reasons of course, but still.
I don’t think Johnston is more lightweight than John, or indeed Thomason. He did ok on Saturday, so looks the best option we have for that position in the squad.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am

With less viewing experience than most granted,( I've never won manager of the month) and bearing in mind that higher-ups don't always shine in lower leagues, I reckon we could manage well enough with three acquisitions once we decide who our full backs are ( and Isgrove isn't one of them, he needs to be up front on the wing) I accept they won't fall off the Christmas tree, but as role models:

Number one is a big lad ( a Kevin Davies type) for up front to let Doyle function because I reckon he's better than the rest at taking chances.
2 is a Harry Maguire either left or right side who isn't afraid to run at defences. A.J is the nearest we have.
3 a Paul Scholes who can put his foot on the ball and change the direction of play.

Add these in, and the ones we have may start to function as they should. Both Dapo and Isgrove are being pushed far too deep to get effective crosses in but a big lad making a nuisance of himself up front (take a lesson from Kickham Wanderers ) could change that.

The mandate for improvement is a simple one that doesn't need Sherlock Holmes: Stop giving soft goals away and start scoring,

Thst's about it.. :D

ae:)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:44 am

How do we change the system to accommodate 2 strikers (little and large)? 3 at the back?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:44 am
How do we change the system to accommodate 2 strikers (little and large)? 3 at the back?
Do a Wickham but better...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am
With less viewing experience than most granted,( I've never won manager of the month) and bearing in mind that higher-ups don't always shine in lower leagues, I reckon we could manage well enough with three acquisitions once we decide who our full backs are ( and Isgrove isn't one of them, he needs to be up front on the wing) I accept they won't fall off the Christmas tree, but as role models:

Number one is a big lad ( a Kevin Davies type) for up front to let Doyle function because I reckon he's better than the rest at taking chances.
2 is a Harry Maguire either left or right side who isn't afraid to run at defences. A.J is the nearest we have.
3 a Paul Scholes who can put his foot on the ball and change the direction of play.

Add these in, and the ones we have may start to function as they should. Both Dapo and Isgrove are being pushed far too deep to get effective crosses in but a big lad making a nuisance of himself up front (take a lesson from Kickham Wanderers ) could change that.

The mandate for improvement is a simple one that doesn't need Sherlock Holmes: Stop giving soft goals away and start scoring,

Thst's about it.. :D

ae:)
But confused on the Maguire one. A centre half who at his level struggles a lot. We’ve got enough of those. Also just about any side would love a Scholes. But we lack an Ince/Keane sort more.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 am

Whilst I agree we need a harder tackling type available, Paul Ince and Roy Keane wouldn't be on the pitch very long in today's game IMO. Not trying to be too picky, mate - but do you have a current comparison we could work with? :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 am
Whilst I agree we need a harder tackling type available, Paul Ince and Roy Keane wouldn't be on the pitch very long in today's game IMO. Not trying to be too picky, mate - but do you have a current comparison we could work with? :-)
Interestingly, perhaps, an ex-Wanderer picked up 12 yellows in this division last season (only three players received more). And not a name I'd have suggested...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 pm

Kalvin Phillips, Worthy?

The linked lad, Hartigan at the Wombles, is more of a Rice sort.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:19 pm
Interestingly, perhaps, an ex-Wanderer picked up 12 yellows in this division last season (only three players received more). And not a name I'd have suggested...
Find it hard to see Josh coming back, DSB - but not impossible.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:25 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:19 pm
Find it hard to see Josh coming back, DSB - but not impossible.
Aye, he wouldn't be my first target, even though he is out of contract in summer. Shrews turned down £300k from Blackpool in summer.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:52 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Kalvin Phillips, Worthy?

I'd just be surprised if someone who tackled like Keane, Viera, Ince actually exist in the current football-sphere (I'm not sure they do, because the rules don't allow people to tackle like they did...). If that's the case, I fear some fans would always be disappointed with whoever we signed in that role - I'm trying to get to what "benchmark" would make them happy in today's currency...

I think people accept MJ can tackle - but he's nothing like Keane or Ince generally...I'd say a lot more laid back and a lot more precise apart from the odd one that goes astray because he's a L1 player, rather than "up and under the opposite number"...So are they really looking for a Keane/Ince - if so, who do they see as nearest to that...

I dunno whether they have Phillips or Rice in mind...but given some comments on the WC thread, I suspect maybe not :-) So who is it that currently plays like Ince and Keane (because I'm a bit short on names :-) )

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:52 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Kalvin Phillips, Worthy?

I'd just be surprised if someone who tackled like Keane, Viera, Ince actually exist in the current football-sphere (I'm not sure they do, because the rules don't allow people to tackle like they did...). If that's the case, I fear some fans would always be disappointed with whoever we signed in that role - I'm trying to get to what "benchmark" would make them happy in today's currency...

I think people accept MJ can tackle - but he's nothing like Keane or Ince generally...I'd say a lot more laid back and a lot more precise apart from the odd one that goes astray because he's a L1 player, rather than "up and under the opposite number"...So are they really looking for a Keane/Ince - if so, who do they see as nearest to that...

I dunno whether they have Phillips or Rice in mind...but given some comments on the WC thread, I suspect maybe not :-) So who is it that currently plays like Ince and Keane (because I'm a bit short on names :-) )
It's not quite the answer to your question, but suspect what some people want is another Karl Henry, who did do a much-needed job of adding steel in midfield. However, and further to your point, he therefore racked up 13 yellows in 33 games...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:01 am

But confused on the Maguire one. A centre half who at his level struggles a lot. We’ve got enough of those. Also just about any side would love a Scholes. But we lack an Ince/Keane sort more.
I don't watch much Premier on T.V, only Wanderers and England (I've not missed an England game for years, where Maguire is highly effective) Maguire normally patrols the left side with Stones on the right; last game he played on the right ( and scored again)with Mings? left. I'm suggesting a player of his type obviously, not the man himself, but you would turn your nose up at that in League One? I certainly wouldn't.