PoTY/PoTS 2020/21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

PoTY - BWFC 2020/21 - Top 20 by appearances due to Poll Limit.

Poll ended at Mon May 31, 2021 1:12 pm

Ricardo Santos
54%
Nathan Delfouneso
No votes
Eoin Doyle
4%
Alex Baptiste
11%
Gethin Jones
No votes
Matt Gilks
18%
Antoni Sarcevic
4%
Lloyd Isgrove
No votes
Arthur Gnahoua
No votes
George Thomason
No votes
Alister Crawford
No votes
Declan John
No votes
MJ Williams
11%
Oladapo Afolayan
No votes
Kieran Lee
No votes
Ryan Delaney
No votes
Shaun Miller
No votes
Andrew Tutte
No votes
Harry Brockbank
No votes
Zak Elbouzedi
No votes

Total votes: 28

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

PoTY/PoTS 2020/21

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Poll for PoTY/PoTS - spotted Dibs asked if it was possible to do a "top 3" for each respondent - Not as far as I'm aware. :-) Running Poll for 21 days.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: PoTY/PoTS 2020/21

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Big Reekz for me. Gilks and Baptiste deserve applause so long and hard it stings the palms, and some of the lads who arrived in January turned the season round – with no little help from Doyler and Sarce, among others.

But Santos has been at it for longer than any of them, and his own personal turnaround came before the leaves were off the trees. Remember Colchester away? Prufrock's deathless phrase about the worst performance in any match with a referee wasn't far wrong, but within a month Santos looked imperious – and that was in a misfiring back three. In that turnaround of fortune, from calamity to celebrity, he encapsulates the club - not just this last season but this last *decade*.

I could hug them all for long enough to require intervention from the authorities, but big Reekz would get the longest squeeze of the lot. Although I might need a stepladder. :pray:
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon May 10, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 10, 2021 1:22 pm

Gilks for me without any question. If you look at what turned the season one of the major and probably biggest factors (alongside abandoning 3 at the back) was Gilks coming into goal, offering stability, and some on pitch leadership.

There are players who have done well but I'd argue for his whole time playing this season Gilks more or less did the business. Yes the odd mistake but that's outweighed by the overall contribution.

Kept us in critical games with saves - that lets be honest ended up promoting us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Santos for me as I suspect it will be for most - hence why I thought a top 3 would be more interesting. Even then it’s Santos, Gilks, Baptiste with notable mentions for Sarce and Doyler plus my man crush MJ. I suspect most people would have the same top 3.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Crellin, Jensen and Liam Edwards

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Crellin... he was a bad dream wasn’t he? Wasn’t he averaging 50% of shots being goals conceded? If Gilks had got his fat arse fitter, sooner, we could have won the league!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm

WhErEs SaNtOs? Rico for me. Pilloried him early doors, before he went through the re-Santos machine. Still looks occasionally ungainly, but superb job all round - and he was still posting from local hostelries yesterday...

Lots of notables for me. Gilks made some superb saves, Baps, who I didn't rate last time at Bolton, superb. Generally solid Jones - some important goals from him too. (Nearly) All our new additions in Jan added something more than football - John, MJ, Lee, Dapo.

Isgrove went from runs a lot but a bit headless to someone grabbing a few (important goals).

Thomason - recalled from Bamber Bridge, on his day made a huge difference.

Sarce. Clearly commands the support of the team, we looked better with him in it.

Doyler - Despite some pi$$ing and whinging about his conversion rate - finished 2nd in the League on goals.

The "subs" - Delf great start, got baby-itis half way though, Miller/Arthur did what we needed at important times when we needed a goal.

Delany, Tutte, Brocky, Elbouzedi and Jackson all did their bit.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Has to be Santos for me.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Gilks, Baptiste, Santos, Doyle the main contenders for me.. But Santos pips it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Take Eoin Doyle's goals away and where would we be? Same thing for Matt Gilk's saves.Tough call for me as I haven't seen any live games. Give em all an award. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 pm

I'm not going to win this one but I'm going to point out that in the 10 league games before Gilks started playing we conceded 16 goals. That's 1.6 goals per game conceded.

Since Gilks got himself into the team we've played 36 games and conceded a further 34 goals that's under 1 a game. Add into that during this period the team weren't actually always playing well indeed this included a 6-3 defeat to Port Vale with Gilks not being at fault but Santos certainly looking not very good.

Santos has absolutely for me been tremendous since the change in system and the run in especially. But not without poor games. Grimsby away notably.

Whereas I don't think the data lies. Gilks since coming into the team has made an absolutely massive difference even when we were total and utter bobbins still ahead of him.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Santos for me. For all the reasons mentioned above. Though to be fair you could make a case for pretty much any of the starting 11 on Saturday.

Quite apart from anything else, though, Santos has given us another legendary forum phrase - to go alongside "aquaplane" and "Sampions Lig", among others - all hail the "Re-Santos Machine"!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 10, 2021 2:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 pm
I'm not going to win this one but I'm going to point out that in the 10 league games before Gilks started playing we conceded 16 goals. That's 1.6 goals per game conceded.

Since Gilks got himself into the team we've played 36 games and conceded a further 34 goals that's under 1 a game. Add into that during this period the team weren't actually always playing well indeed this included a 6-3 defeat to Port Vale with Gilks not being at fault but Santos certainly looking not very good.

Santos has absolutely for me been tremendous since the change in system and the run in especially. But not without poor games. Grimsby away notably.

Whereas I don't think the data lies. Gilks since coming into the team has made an absolutely massive difference even when we were total and utter bobbins still ahead of him.
I wasn't aware that personal "win/lose" was at stake? People will vote for their viewpoint, why canvas for a different one?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 10, 2021 2:09 pm

I found it very hard to pick between Santos/Baptiste/Gilks. I suppose I felt Santos went on a bigger journey given his atrocious start and his lack of league experience. Neither of the two centre halves scored (Delaney did). Gilks had a couple of howlers and seemed to be behind Crellin being signed and playing...but yeah it’s arguing over who is the top in the PotS vote. I’d buy em all a pint.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 pm

I wasn't aware that personal "win/lose" was at stake? People will vote for their viewpoint, why canvas for a different one?
Just an expression or turn of phrase. You know as in 'I know I won't change any minds' type thing. I love Santos but Gilks for me has had the biggest impact out of anyone this season. Its probably good that you could argue for a fair number rather than there being only 1 or 2 candidates.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Definitely not Santos for me. If you swapped his first half season and second half season around he wouldn't even be getting a mention. Truly dreadful early on, one of the three worst players I've ever seen play for us (Cid and Moxey the other two). If the award was for Player of the latter half of the season then no question, but it isn't.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Put it this way: Whoever wins whatever awards this year will deserve it a lot more than Tim F**king Ream.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm
Put it this way: Whoever wins whatever awards this year will deserve it a lot more than Tim F**king Ream.
To this day it blows my mind that there were Bolton fans who thought and one assumes still think he was good. Apparently poncing round and ducking out of challenges before carefully sliding across the touchline to make it look like you've been arsed is 'good'.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Santos for me, and comfortably. Not a lot to add to the reasons others have given. What a turnaround. From moving from the right to the middle of the back three he was immense in our mini run, and vital since Jan. Big part of us fixing set pieces too.

I can't pick between 4 for second place.

Gilks - agree with the good things. On the flip side, I think how good he has been has been exaggerated by how bad Crellin was. The bar was set low. I think he's been excellent in the run in but was pretty much "competent" from coming in until then. Two absolute howlers in a couple of weeks in March (Mansfield and??) but in games we ended up winning so perhaps the spotlight was lesser. I also at least partly blame him for us signing Crellin in the first place :D

Baptiste - again, what's been said. Not quite as impressive as Santos over the season but really really solid, clearly a good egg, been top.

Doyle - I worry about him a league up, I'm not sure his around game is up to it, but I'm a team that wasn't really prolific to get 19 goals is impressive. He was also one of the few who stood up to be counted in the bad runs, never hid, always worked his bollocks off.

Sarc - despite having one of the worst first touches I've ever seen no-one else has been able to link things like he has, some big goals, we missed him massively when he has out, and like Doyle was always there when the chips were down.

MJ the best of some very good January signings, but it's not player of the half season. O wonder if The Gun (I think?) has come around to him :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:22 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm
To this day it blows my mind that there were Bolton fans who thought and one assumes still think he was good. Apparently poncing round and ducking out of challenges before carefully sliding across the touchline to make it look like you've been arsed is 'good'.
Oh mate, you wanna sit next to Prufrock eviscerating his performance. Perhaps also because he ended up there, it remains an abiding memory of Fulham: I can't even cross Putney Bridge without hearing Pru's increasingly strident disbelief in what we were watching. (If memory serves, this was the match when Dougie played him in defensive midfield, although the performance was so hapless he may as well have been stood in downtown Sheffield.)

Anyway, Ream was player of the year in 2013/14 and 2014/15, seasons in which we conceded a combined 127 league goals. It speaks volumes for the rest of the squad that a centre-back was nominated Tallest Dwarf.