Highlight of Season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Highlight of Season

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Got 17 minutes free? The club have whacked all last season's league goals into one video. <Puts feet up>

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:07 pm

^ brilliant :D

A couple of things that stood out for me in that lot.

Kioso was such a threat.
We played some lovely stuff at times.
Eoin Doyle's finishing. Wow
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:21 pm

That just reminded me our first goal(s) weren't until Harrogate...Oh and the OG from Salford City!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 pm

Getting promoted on 50 odd goals, is quite an achievement for the defence
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:10 pm

Absolutely. In the second half of the season we scored 32 and conceded 13 (that's the Tranmere horror show and then The Run).

Over a whole season 64 goals scored would've been 5th best, but 26 conceded would've been by absolutely miles the best defensive record in the league.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:10 pm
Absolutely. In the second half of the season we scored 32 and conceded 13 (that's the Tranmere horror show and then The Run).

Over a whole season 64 goals scored would've been 5th best, but 26 conceded would've been by absolutely miles the best defensive record in the league.
Sort of further to this, but really about next season with reference to last season.

Some of us have been worried about needing double-figure goal returns from several front players. So I thought I'd have a quick check on what worked for other L1 teams last season. How many got double figures? How many were in the "Nolan/Stelios/Speedo" 5-9 goals range? And how many scored all told?

Because Blackpool intrigued me – promoted with fewer goals scored than relegated Rochdale – I looked at them first then compared to Oxford, who scored the third most (after the two autopromoted teams). It then made sense to check the other two playoff teams.

BLACKPOOL (3rd) F60 A37
10+ goals: Just the one – their No.9 Jerry Yates, 20 from 44 regular season games.
5-9 goals: Another 3 players scored between 5 and 8 goals each.
1+ goals: In all, 15 players scored. This spread was matched in the three playoff games: scoring an unusually high eight goals, shared between five different players. Kenny Dougall, who scored two in the final, had only scored one league goal in the regular season.

SUNDERLAND (4th) F70 A42
10+ goals: Again, just their No.9 (Charlie Wyke, 25 in 43).
5-9 goals: 3 more players
1+ goals: 17 scorers overall

LINCOLN (5th) F59 A50
10+ goals: 3 players – Jorge Grant (CM, 13 in 36); Anthony Scully (RW, 11 in 40); Brennan Johnson (LW, loaned from Forest, 10 in 40)
5-9 goals: 4 more players
1+ goals: 14 scorers overall

OXFORD (6th) F77 A56
10+ goals: 2 players – No.9 Matty Taylor (18 in 46) and loanee QPR left-winger Olamide Shodipo (10 in 39).
5-9 goals: 6 players
1+ goals: 15 scorers overall

What can we learn?
• Obvz it helps if you have a No.9 banging in 18-25 goals – and I'll say again that Doyler has a 46-in-100 record at this level, including a season for a team finishing bottom (11 goals in 44 from Bradford 2018/19).
• Double-figure players: the four play-off teams had just seven between them – and none of Lincoln's three were centre-forwards.
• Get a judicious loanee - a young winger from a Champo club. Worked for two of the four teams.
• Those semi-regular scorers aren't *that* important - 16 between the four teams, but Blackpool and Sunderland only hads three each. Mind, they each had a striker on 20+
• What you do need is 15 or so different scorers, goals chipping in from everywhere: think Gethin at Port Vale, young Jacko at Morecambe. Indeed, here are our stats for last season:

BOLTON (3rd) F59 A50
10+ goals: Doyler (19 in 43)
5-9 goals: 2 more (Sarce 7 in 32, Delf 6 in 44)
1+ goals: 15 overall

As Boris notes, we were somewhat fortunate to get up with so few goals - but the overall number of scorers is bang on track. We need to do that again, and we need more in that middle bracket scoring 5-9 – but it's not like we need a front four all hitting double figures.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 pm

I mean, if the front 4 want to hit double figures,,,, :-)

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:06 am

Superb stuff. Was thinking of doing something similar as a result of the discussion on here, so glad you’ve saved me the effort DSB.

Definitely need a few of the wingers to be chipping in with 5+ goals. If pre-season gives us any indication, Dapo looks very sharp and would be a solid bet to get close to double figures.

Such a shame Ameachi will be sidelined for a month or two putting him further behind as I think he would have been another that could have really contributed goals wise.

I still think we’re slightly light in attack. Here’s to hoping we can get a promising young loanee in later in the window, a la Brennan Johnson for Lincoln last season.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 am

Centre halves nodding a few corners in would be a huge help. Even half of what the Wheevers managed.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 am

I don’t really remember too well, but the season we went out of this division with Parky, we scored a lot of goals through CB’s. 15 or so? A couple from the full back

Looking through the highlights reel, Jackson, John (3), (Kioso 5) and Jones (3) I think.

12 goals is a pretty good goal return for your full backs
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:51 am

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 am
I don’t really remember too well, but the season we went out of this division with Parky, we scored a lot of goals through CB’s. 15 or so? A couple from the full back

Looking through the highlights reel, Jackson, John (3), (Kioso 5) and Jones (3) I think.

12 goals is a pretty good goal return for your full backs
Yep. And you’d hope both Jones and John can score more. Kioso though whilst a full back I think it a special case.