Should they stay or should they go? Summer 2021

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

To which of the following should BWFC offer contracts?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Lukas Jensen
2%
Matty Alexander*
5%
Gethin Jones
11%
Jak Hickman
No votes
Alex Baptiste
12%
Harry Brockbank
9%
Ryan Delaney
2%
Jamie Mascoll
No votes
Adam Senior*
7%
Declan John
12%
Andrew Tutte
2%
Sonny Graham*
6%
Callum King-Harmes*
4%
Lloyd Isgrove
12%
Zack Elbouzedi
2%
Dapo Afolayan
12%
Shaun Miller
3%
Mo Faal
No votes
Arthur Gnahoua
1%

Total votes: 234

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Should they stay or should they go? Summer 2021

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm

It's that time again... summer is upon us, and with it the decision over which lapsing contracts should be renewed for what we now know will be a third-tier campaign.

So, as ever, choose which players you would offer a contract; you click as many names as you wish. There's no scope for bet-hedging like "pay as you play" or "low wage" – just make the damn decision :mrgreen:

Points of order:
• The asterisked players were born on or after 1 Jan 2000, and thus (unless the EFL rules change) will NOT count toward whatever number of players clubs are allowed to register (at the time of writing, said to be 20, but the PFA is appealing and discussions are ongoing).
• Only loanees whose contracts elapse this summer are listed; Burnley have an extension option on Lukas Jensen and there's some indication that Lincoln may have similar on Zack Elbouzedi, but I'll include them on the assumption those clauses aren't triggered and the players become free agents. (BWFC also have extension options on Jones, Hickman and Mascoll.)
• Poll ends on June 1, at which English clubs are legally allowed to talk to those with lapsing contracts. You can change your vote until that date.
• This poll is a mere adjunct and appendix to the right honorable Mr Worthy4England's summer transfer thread.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should they stay or should they go? Summer 2021

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Gethin Jones
Declan John
Harry Brockbank
Alex Baptiste
Senior
Isgrove
Dapo

I’d say Alexander too IF Gilks thinks he’s good.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:24 pm
Gethin Jones
Declan John
Harry Brockbank
Alex Baptiste
Senior
Isgrove
Dapo

Aye, I went for the same six senior players (including Brocky who's no longer a baby) but also all the young 'uns, as
(1) they don't count toward the total
(2) we've seen from Tomo that that doesn't mean they can't have an impact
(3) we're supposed to be starting a reserves/U23 team next season and
(4) Evatt has said before that for each position he wants a first-teamer, some competition and a promising youngster.

I'd release Hickman, Delaney, Mascoll, Tutte, Miller, Faal and Gnahoua, with thanks, and I wouldn't yet be beating down the door of Jensen or Elbouzedi.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gethin Jones
Declan John
Harry Brockbank
Alex Baptiste
Senior
Isgrove
Dapo

Aye, I went for the same six senior players (including Brocky who's no longer a baby) but also all the young 'uns, as
(4) Evatt has said before that for each position he wants a first-teamer, some competition and a promising youngster.

I'd release Hickman, Delaney, Mascoll, Tutte, Miller, Faal and Gnahoua, with thanks, and I wouldn't yet be beating down the door of Jensen or Elbouzedi.
Fair enough could go with that. Steer well well clear of Elbouzedi mind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gethin Jones
Declan John
Harry Brockbank
Alex Baptiste
Senior
Isgrove
Dapo

Snap. Though Iles reported the other week that Gethin was confirmed as here next year (wasn't clear if option used or new and improved).

Edit: can't find the BN article but MEN has quotes from Evatt that he believed it has been done:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 548669.amp
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm
Iles reported the other week that Gethin was confirmed as here next year (wasn't clear if option used or new and improved).

Edit: can't find the BN article but MEN has quotes from Evatt that he believed it has been done:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 548669.amp
Yeah, just found same presser quotes in BN (you have to Google once they drop off the front page):

“I might be wrong but I am pretty sure the option (in his contract) has already been triggered now – so I don’t think it will be an issue.”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 pm

Without knowing much about the players (does anyone?) there are a lot of things to consider, like do they want to stay, have they bonded enough as a team to want to move here (families etc)? How many of them does I.E want to retain and what can the club afford? ( highly pertinent) Heart says loyalty to this season's heroes, head says age relevance and holding on to only a core of the current squad and building anew.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm

I’m undecided on Brockbank. Obviously a massive Wanderer but is that enough? Is he just cover?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm
I’m undecided on Brockbank. Obviously a massive Wanderer but is that enough? Is he just cover?
I can understand the hesitancy. In truth I'm still not sure he's tall enough for a centre-back (especially These Days) or threatening enough for an attacking full-back, perhaps especially in the third tier.

However, being a massive Wanderer isn't irrelevant. The fella is obviously immensely, heart-poundingly proud to play for his hometown team, and that's something you can't buy. He's also proved that he will happily dig in and do a job anywhere across the backline, and that he will also bide his time on the sidelines while being a beloved part of the squad. I don't think he should get a contract out of pity or emotion, but I think Evatt can rest assured he will never get a moment's trouble out of him, and that anybody who ever doubts what they have bought into can look into Brockbank's eyes and realise how much it matters.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 pm

Jones
Baps
John
Tutte
Isgrove
Dapo
Miller

Of those, Tutte and Miller would depend on who else we sign, but as cover, they're ok.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 pm

See I like Miller and Tutte was my player of the season before Christmas but I think both are gone. They both need to be regular players somewhere. Not sure what went wrong with Tutte but he wasn’t even in the squad on Saturday and I haven’t seen him in the celebrations at all. Miller played his part but I suspect at 33 we need to be looking around to improve the striking department and find players who offer better.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Bit on the fence with Hickman, looked like he was getting in good positions early on and looked quite positive, but the media show surrounding him suggests he's not really got the professionalism levels that Evatt needs.

That being said he's not even on the Kings Lynn team so there's clearly a pattern of him not getting picked.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm

Aye I thought Hickman was unlucky not to get more of a chance but given he was deregistered and we had 1 or 2 spare spaces (after Madison left) there is no chance he is here next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 11:15 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm
Aye I thought Hickman was unlucky not to get more of a chance but given he was deregistered and we had 1 or 2 spare spaces (after Madison left) there is no chance he is here next season.
I wouldn’t say there’s absolutely no chance, perhaps Evatt could see him in the “promising youngster” category, if the lad (who’s overage) would be happy to develop with our new second string? Fight for a registered place in Jan? Dunno. He can cross a ball but it’s hard to see him as a third-tier player.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 12, 2021 9:33 am

Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm
I can understand the hesitancy. In truth I'm still not sure he's tall enough for a centre-back (especially These Days) or threatening enough for an attacking full-back, perhaps especially in the third tier.

However, being a massive Wanderer isn't irrelevant. The fella is obviously immensely, heart-poundingly proud to play for his hometown team, and that's something you can't buy. He's also proved that he will happily dig in and do a job anywhere across the backline, and that he will also bide his time on the sidelines while being a beloved part of the squad. I don't think he should get a contract out of pity or emotion, but I think Evatt can rest assured he will never get a moment's trouble out of him, and that anybody who ever doubts what they have bought into can look into Brockbank's eyes and realise how much it matters.
I don't think Brockbank is a centre back. Ever. But he could be cover for full back positions whilst not really IMO being an Evatt style full back. However I'd like to see if he could be moulded into an MJ Williams style of player. He's mobile and decent enough on the ball. I think a role in front of the back four is likely to be the only place he really could in time make his own - unless he really works on the attacking side of his full back game (but he lacks real pace).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 12, 2021 1:11 pm

The non-asterisked ones I'd keep are;

Jones
Baptiste
Brockbank
John
Isgrove
Dapo
Miller

I'm unsure about Tutte. I guess I have him down as a 'fine as back-up, unless we get a better option'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 pm

I'd definitely say no to Tutte. We need to create squad spaces (unless the rule changes we're limited to 20) as we're moving up a league and need to strengthen. Whilst for me Tutte did nothing wrong he couldn't get into a league 2 side ahead of Williams and Thomason and Lee and Sarce - all of whom will be here next season. We need therefore a league 1 standard midfield player who improves on what we've got or at the very least seriously challenges them all to up their game at that level.

Absolutely nothing against him as he did a good job here but there is a serious step up from league 2 to the top half of league one and frankly we need the spaces to ensure we recruit to bridge that gap. Tutte hasn't played league one level for a few years and is 30.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 12, 2021 2:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 pm
I'd definitely say no to Tutte. We need to create squad spaces (unless the rule changes we're limited to 20) as we're moving up a league and need to strengthen. Whilst for me Tutte did nothing wrong he couldn't get into a league 2 side ahead of Williams and Thomason and Lee and Sarce - all of whom will be here next season. We need therefore a league 1 standard midfield player who improves on what we've got or at the very least seriously challenges them all to up their game at that level.

Absolutely nothing against him as he did a good job here but there is a serious step up from league 2 to the top half of league one and frankly we need the spaces to ensure we recruit to bridge that gap. Tutte hasn't played league one level for a few years and is 30.
Aye to all that. I like Tuttey a lot and I think we could do much worse, bu I also hope we can do better - and that he can be first-choice for an L2 team.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 13, 2021 4:08 pm

B.N reporting Alex Baptiste to be offered a 12 month extension to his contract (which expires in summer)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Evatt:

“I have made the decisions. Watch this space. Fundamentally they are all good lads and this is their job, their occupation. As much as we all love football we all have to earn money to provide for our families and when you are potentially taking that away from someone it is never nice. I’ll take no enjoyment out of it, in fact I will probably be quite emotional. But it has to be done and it’s my job to do it. Sentiment in football gets you nowhere. It’s about the next goal and how we get there.

“We are down that process now. I have made decisions that are difficult but we will talk through them on Monday and hopefully the players will understand. These conversations are never nice. It’s the worst part of my job, really. But they need to be had. We have had a successful season but there are big decisions to be made.

"I will be speaking to the lads, same as I do every season. We will have an individual meeting and debrief with them on Monday where I’ll speak about the future and how this season has gone, strengths and weaknesses, where we need to improve. We will have a clearer picture then of what we have got, moving forwards."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-20598369

Judging by the current state of votes on this thread poll it seems there's a fairly straightforward split, among the senior players, as to whether we think they should stay or go:
• 22 votes for Baptiste, Isgrove, Dapo and John
• 22 Isgrove
• 22 Dapo
• 22 John
• 21 Jones
• 17 Brockbank
(...yawning chasm...)
• 5 Miller
• 4 Tutte
• 4 Jensen
• 2 Gnahoua
• 2 Delaney
• 2 Elbouzedi
• 0 Mascoll
• 0 Hickman
• 0 Faal

But Evatt hasn't always gone along with groupthink... the vote was for what we fans would do, but who do we think he might keep/chuck despite the vox populi above? I've got an odd feeling he'll offer Delaney a year...