Season Predictions

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wrighty92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Season Predictions

Post by Wrighty92 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:37 am

I'd say if we can finish anywhere in the top half I'd be really pleased as well. Tough to predict what will happen as who would've called us to struggle as we did for the first few months of last season in league 2 and then go on the run we did and fly to automatic promotion. I think so much of success in the lower leagues is about capitalising on little bits of luck here or there and momentum swings and I think IE has built us a team who are capable of achieving comfortable survival and going higher and higher in the table depending on how well we take those chances. Still some concerns about a few things but what team doesn't have those... I think a bit like last season, we should just play our stuff and see where we are at after a few months then set a realistic end of season goal and assuming we have a decent season, stay in league one, develop our young players more, we will be well set to build on this season going into the 22/23 season and hopefully continue the upward trajectory of the club

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 pm

I don't think we'll be able to put a run together like we did last year, but we wont give anybody a 20 game head start either.. I think we'll be top 8/9 with a push for the playoffs..... If we can be more clinical

We're not going to get as many 1-0's. We're going to have to find ways of winning 2-1 / 3-2 etc and I'm not quite sure if we're ready for that
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Stats alert. Ben 'Experimental 361' Mayhew has tweeted his fixture-difficulty matrix - how hard a team's games are - based for now on bookie's predictions (although I always suspect these favour the more popular teams, to reduce losses).

Anyway, by that criterion, our first month looks relatively gentle, with games against similarly-forecast uppermidtablers McDons, Oxford and Lincoln levied by winnable Wimbledon and Cheltenham games.
E8BuC05XEAQmryI.png
E8BuC05XEAQmryI.png (233.49 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Of course, these things tend to even themselves out over the course of a cliché, and September and October look a trifle tougher with fixtures against five of the forecast top six. But hopefully by then we'll have our feet under the table – and with a relatively clear Nov/Dec and early Jan to follow, maybe momentum can build again, as it has so impressively in Evatt's last two seasons.

Tough start for Wigan, be a shame if they suffered.

We shall, as they say, see.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Lots of people have us mid/upper-mid...Hope they're at least right! :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:45 pm
Stats alert. Ben 'Experimental 361' Mayhew has tweeted his fixture-difficulty matrix - how hard a team's games are - based for now on bookie's predictions (although I always suspect these favour the more popular teams, to reduce losses).

Anyway, by that criterion, our first month looks relatively gentle, with games against similarly-forecast uppermidtablers McDons, Oxford and Lincoln levied by winnable Wimbledon and Cheltenham games.
E8BuC05XEAQmryI.png
Of course, these things tend to even themselves out over the course of a cliché, and September and October look a trifle tougher with fixtures against five of the forecast top six. But hopefully by then we'll have our feet under the table – and with a relatively clear Nov/Dec and early Jan to follow, maybe momentum can build again, as it has so impressively in Evatt's last two seasons.

Tough start for Wigan, be a shame if they suffered.

We shall, as they say, see.
They might have a bit of work to do from last seasons, experimental361 outturn :-)
2020-21-l2-v1.png
2020-21-l2-v1.png (318.01 KiB) Viewed 817 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:05 pm
Lots of people have us mid/upper-mid...Hope they're at least right! :-)
Aye it will be odd if we finish mid table. Not had a season with nothing to play for, for a long time.