Season Predictions

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Season Predictions

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 pm

Anyone have a clue? I’ve seen us predicted top ten, and bottom half/dicing with relegation. Ipswich look like the team who has ‘bought the league’, Sunderland feature but don’t seem to have done much business, MK Dons are fancied, Wycombe, Sheff Wednesday…

The beauty of the league is anyone can finish anywhere I guess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season Predictions

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:36 pm

I'm not at all sure....Hope for upwards of half way, would be delighted with any sort of top end challenge for end of season, could see us being lower than half way and with 4 to go down, there's plenty to try and steer clear from at the bottom....We've done a lot of 1-0s in pre-season, Preston performance looked pretty impressive but not sure how many first team they had out. This is my fence, and so shall I sit.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:44 pm

I think if we can get another competent striker in, maybe hopefully the young guy from Manure on loan, then I see no reason we can’t be pushing for top six. I don’t see the majority of sides actually being any better than those we faced in L2 last year, so if we can just get our firepower working, we’ll be fine. Of course the likes of Dapo and DP could surprise on the upside with goals and if we can also get midfield and defence to chip in with a few each, we might not need another hitman. Saturday should give us a better idea against Rovers.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:40 pm

12th-15th for me unless we can bring in two quality attacking players.

Perhaps a couple of loans from our premiership neighbours. Our squad depth is much better than last season, however I don't think that we have brought anyone in to significantly improve the starting XI who finished last season & to be honest I'm slightly underwhelmed by our signings so far, we certainly have enough to stay up but with the current squad I doubt that we will be challenging the top end of the table.

Saying that I'll actually be happy with staying up this season, therefore a mid table finish would be just fine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 pm

It’s impossible to predict. I think we are reasonable and have the momentum from last season and a tight knit group. But we lack goals and potentially some physicality.

I honestly think we can finish anywhere and lots will rest on small margins.

I’m relatively confident we will survive but top 8 is tough unless we add goals or someone becomes more able to bang them in on a regular basis.

In a way it’s a great position because we have a season where as long as we stay up the rest isn’t so important inspite of what Evatt might say or contest. We can have a go. We have to remember we are a promoted team and that’s always a hard thing to read.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 pm

It's an odd division where I can see a case for the likes of Wigan, Wycombe, Sheffield Wednesday and Lincoln being promoted or relegated.

Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey and Rotherham will all likely fancy their chances too.

I don't think we have the personnel or the firepower to seriously challenge.

I'll say 13th and right now, if offered that with greater financial stability (feck off Gudnib) I'd be delighted.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:40 pm

Perhaps a couple of loans from our premiership neighbours. Our squad depth is much better than last season, however I don't think that we have brought anyone in to significantly improve the starting XI who finished last season & to be honest I'm slightly underwhelmed by our signings so far, we certainly have enough to stay up but with the current squad I doubt that we will be challenging the top end of the table.

Saying that I'll actually be happy with staying up this season, therefore a mid table finish would be just fine.
I’m with Bertie, which I suppose makes me Jeeves.

When Ilesy tweeted for high/low predictions, I picked 8th and 16th - but as noted by others, it’s a very difficult division to assess. Not just as it has the highest team turnover every year (four promoted teams + three relegated = 29% new teams) but because it sits just outside the madhouse Champo, which can spit out contenders and basket cases. (Where would you put money on Sheff Weds finishing?)

To Bertie’s point on underwhelming signings - I was pondering the same myself, as a thought experiment. Which new faces improve the promoted XI?

DIXON - statistically one of the worst goalkeepers in the 4th tier.
AIMSON - bit-parter arguably best played in a back three.
JOHNSTON - funny cos we gazumped Wigan, but an alleged midget who’s played two dozen games.
SHEEHAN - could be good, but in the squad’s strongest sector, who does he replace?
AMAECHI - crocked
BAKAYOKO - very different to Doyle, sadly including his goal return

Now, that’s all a bit devil’s advocate, not a true reflection of how I feel, and like Bertie I’m glad we have more genuine rivals for the incumbent players. But honestly, right now I’d still be picking last year’s team. Is it good enough? I bloody hope so…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:27 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:40 pm

I’m with Bertie, which I suppose makes me Jeeves.

When Ilesy tweeted for high/low predictions, I picked 8th and 16th - but as noted by others, it’s a very difficult division to assess. Not just as it has the highest team turnover every year (four promoted teams + three relegated = 29% new teams) but because it sits just outside the madhouse Champo, which can spit out contenders and basket cases. (Where would you put money on Sheff Weds finishing?)

To Bertie’s point on disappointing signings - I was pondering the same myself, as a thought experiment. Which new faces improve the promoted XI?

DIXON - statistically one of the worst goalkeepers in the 4th tier.
AIMSON - bit-parter arguably best played in a back three.
JOHNSTON - funny cos we gazumped Wigan, but an alleged midget who’s played two dozen games.
SHEEHAN - could be good, but in the squad’s strongest sector, who does he replace?
AMAECHI - crocked
BAKAYOKO - very different to Doyle, sadly including his goal return

Now, that’s all a bit devil’s advocate, not a true reflection of how I feel, and like Bertie I’m glad we have more genuine rivals for the incumbent players. But honestly, right now I’d still be picking last year’s team. Is it good enough? I bloody hope so…
I think on reflection we've added variety rather than what you'd call 'nailed on starters' that improve the side. Perhaps we'll be wrong but I fear our major weak areas from last season - goals, physicality in midfield - haven't been addressed.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:02 pm

I’m concerned about the keeper and centre halves! Is Gilks up to it and will we get another season out of Baps at a higher level?

I’m happy with Doyler and I think Dapo will develop. Ameachi hopefully back by say October and Isgrove got stronger as he got fitter last season. I think Sarce will be fine and I’m even willing to give Crawford another shot…plus Bakayoko looks a seasoned league one pro.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm

I’m very much on the same page as Bertie and DSB here. We’ve essentially got the same starting XI as last season with some better reserves. I’d guess that would be good enough for lower mid-table, but not much better without some marked improvement from a few of the youngsters.

If the club’s ambition is to challenge for playoffs, which it sounds like it is, I think we need to add at least two more players of the quality to upgrade our first team.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm

I believe the signings plus Politic have made the squad stronger so Evatt has better options off the bench if he needs to change a game without weakening the team. So a more solid strength in depth team to grind out a result. So for me the team is stronger and can compete mid-table at best. To aim higher, we need to find someone who will add goals in attack and can also play at #10 if Sarc gets injured.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm positive and confident.

Firstly, although you get what you deserve over 46 games and Cheltenham were rightfully champions, in terms of expectations for the new season we are the ones coming up the position you'd be of winning the league at a canter. A full half-season of form that had us on track for breaking 100 points,

We also kept together all of our key players and aren't in the position of Cambridge having to replace 32 goals, or Morecambe having to basically build a new squad.

That team that performed so well for half a season was also doing that thrust together for the first time, with 4 players of that 11 not making their debut until Jan, and another 3 only playing bit parts for the first few months of the season. They are also used to winning, and seem really together.

I also think that, while the gap between League 2 and the top 8 or so in League 1 is massive, there isn't a huge difference between the top half of League 2 and the bottom 2/3rd of League 1.

I think we've added pretty well. I'm excited by Johnston's pedigree (and keen to see how tall he actually is :D ) I only saw the FC United stream and he didn't look dwarfed. Sheehan looks a proper player, and Bakayoko gives us a completely different option.

Worries are: whether Gilks can step up and stay fit, a lack of physicality against the more direct teams (especially if Santos misses any long periods, don't forget it's only a couple of years since he was doing the Ledley King, cycle through the week and play Saturdays) and depth in the "3" behind Doyle. Hopefully we can add at least one, maybe two in there in the loan market.

I'm not worried at all about being at the bottom end, think top half would be about "par" and think we'll end up in the top 8.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:15 am

That’s the spirit, and I certainly agree with January’s signings in august we would have walked that league. So there’s definitely that. And I do think it took players like Isgrove and Dapo longer to reach their peak because of the complete lack of football between March 20 and when they started playing regularly. Was a weird season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am

That's a fair point too. I thought Isgrove was broadly a bit shit in a "but he's good value because he works hard" kind of way, but he was then very good in the last 5 games or so so it's possible he was still finding his feet for a long time. His "numbers" have never been great through his career but he's played a decent amount of football at this level. I'd like an improvement in the XI over him but at the very worst he's a decent squad player at this level.

Hopefully we'll see similar from Dapo and he'll continue to improve. He's looked v sharp in pre-season and has the monkey off his back after that goal.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 pm

Will bung this in here as I can't immediately see an Around The Division thread, but it looks like Russell Martin - possession-centric manager of MK Dons, our first oppos a week today – is in talks with Swansea.

If that goes through, it's possible it weakens them, and maybe even makes some "footballing" players available in January when their new broom settles. Possibly even sooner – although I doubt they'd hire Long Ball Larry.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 am

Oneup.jpg
Oneup.jpg (81.67 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
There's a whiteboard for the "what formation" folks.... 6 in midfield :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 am

This week I chiefly predict that as with previous opening weeks I'll be printing off the squad list to do a who's who! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm

Bit easier this time round than the last 5 years surely?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 pm
Will bung this in here as I can't immediately see an Around The Division thread, but it looks like Russell Martin - possession-centric manager of MK Dons, our first oppos a week today – is in talks with Swansea.

If that goes through, it's possible it weakens them, and maybe even makes some "footballing" players available in January when their new broom settles. Possibly even sooner – although I doubt they'd hire Long Ball Larry.

Now confirmed

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm
Bit easier this time round than the last 5 years surely?
Yes and no, Dibbs. As my years advance I have to remind myself regarding those who were here last season too 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way