Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:41 am

I think Dixon’s performance last night, especially his penalty save, will help to instill confidence both in himself and the defence and I expect him to take the No1 role now until he lets us down. Gillo is still a great replacement if he does but we also have Alexander and Hutchison coming through who both look full of promise for the future.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:22 am

A couple of hairy moments though for Dixon - Ran into his defenders a couple of times and came charging out once and almost got lobbed - He was about 20 yards away from the ball!

Still, a clean-sheet is great and for me, Dixon should probably start on Saturday, if we're comparing respective keeper performances this week
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:30 am

Before we move on from the fake Wimbledon to the real one just wanted to drop this in here - it's the @BWFCstats data (culled from WhoScored) for the MK game. Sorry it's a bit big but it's quite wide and to shrink it would render the numbers invisible.
BW-MK.png
BW-MK.png (254.34 KiB) Viewed 872 times
What I want to point out is George Johnston's passing: 54 passes attempted. Now, it's not unusual for centre-backs to have high passing rates, especially in a team tip-tapping around the back. But when there's a relatively low completion rate (here, 74%) you can tell either than the guy can't kick straight or that he's playing progressive, constructive passes trying to get us up the field.
passing.jpeg
passing.jpeg (152.58 KiB) Viewed 872 times
For comparison, Alex Maldini alongside him only played 30 passes but had 93% completion, suggesting the safe ball sideways. similarly, MJ made 38 passes with 82% completion. Possibly notable also that Gethin made 46 passes (second highest after Johnston) while Declan only made 27 - suggesting we're leaving the heavy passing on the left side of defence to George while Dec piles on, in turn allowing Dapo to get nearer the goal.

It's only a small data sample, but I found it interesting.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 am

I think Johnston looks ace. That one two in the first half last night with Sarce, if only he had leathered the shot…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Yeah - my view without the benefit of "stats" was that Johnston was trying to move us forwards. I didn't think maybe that John and Jones were quite as progressive as in the 4th Division, in terms of their positioning, I suspect worried about the quick counter. I've never really understood whoscored's tackle count. It felt like MJ made a lot more than 2 tackles, to me...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:18 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 am
I think Johnston looks ace. That one two in the first half last night with Sarce, if only he had leathered the shot…
Sarce played it to his right foot. Plenty room and time IMO to play it to his left. But let's not carp.