Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Superb game. Really really pleased with the quality we have now, strength in depth too, we should be challenging near the top of this league. The pressing was excellent, great forward movement so many options for passes. I thought we were miles better than them and they got really lucky to come away with a point never mind nearly winning it. Back four is excellent, midfield is excellent, I thought we'd struggle to find goals but on that showing, well we certainly wont struggle to create chances. Three mistakes have cost us, I can forgive Johnson because you can see how exceptional he is and I don't think he's going to make many, but the two from Gilks, a slight if at all deflection that goes 1ft to the right of where he's standing is piss poor, and then a pea roller through his legs. I've nothing against him personally but its game 1 and he's cost us two points already. I can't understand Evatt's complete blind spot for goalkeepers, Dixon didn't do anything wrong against Blackburn so maybe go with him even though his stats are appalling, can't see us bringing anyone else in and I'm worried this the GK situation is going to cost us, I mean it already has.

Player Ratings

Doyle 5
Off the pace, never fancied him to score.

Dapo 8
Superb player, improving every game, made a couple of poor decisions.

Sarcevic 7
Didn't contribute as much as he usually does, the step up might be one he can't make, I really hope not.

Bakayoko 9
Crap against Blackburn, played a blinder today.

Sheehan 10
Not seen a better midfielder in a wanderers shirt for a long long time.

MJ Williams 10
Every bit as good at defending as sheehan is at attacking. Comfortable on the ball, head up, alert to danger. What a player.

John 8
Im not a massive fan like most ppl are, I'm not convinced he can defend, but played some cracking balls today.

Johnson 9
Brilliant, -1 point for the mistake.

Baptiste 11
Brilliant +1 for the goal!

Jones 9
Not a great crosser but, a very good defender, with an immense engine.

Gilks 4
He's better than Crellin.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:17 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:12 pm
Gilks could have done better on all 3 goals for me
Too early to be worried about the keeper position? 😂
He had an operation in the summer and then had to self isolate. Barely played. So we know this yet people still throwing nonsense around. Same with Doyle. Absolutely what you’d expect from them.
”If you’re old enough you’re good enough”?

Disrupted preseason meant it’d never be easy to pick an XI. But for me, it doesn’t send a great message to Dixon that Gilks was flown straight back in half-fit. Perhaps we had fewer options for Doyle’s position but the same still applies to an extent. I like our manager a lot, and always have, but I’m not convinced they were the right calls. He’ll learn, though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Problem with the keeper position is when do they get minutes? Definitely rusty today for me…but he looked slow at getting down a bit last season…I dunno it’s match day 1 so was tongue in cheek really but we shall see. I’d have gone with the other lad but I’ve not seen him play.

I thought Doyle looked fit enough to start. Tired. Fine, not worried about him. Got some competition up front now, good!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:47 pm
Problem with the keeper position is when do they get minutes?
Cup game midweek; ideal for rotating keepers. I know Dixon hasn’t shone in pre-season and I get that fir now at least he’s probably back-up; all I’m saying is it’s a slightly odd thing for Evatt to talk about genuine competition etc then revert to the older hands.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
He had an operation in the summer and then had to self isolate. Barely played. So we know this yet people still throwing nonsense around. Same with Doyle. Absolutely what you’d expect from them.
”If you’re old enough you’re good enough”?

Disrupted preseason meant it’d never be easy to pick an XI. But for me, it doesn’t send a great message to Dixon that Gilks was flown straight back in half-fit. Perhaps we had fewer options for Doyle’s position but the same still applies to an extent. I like our manager a lot, and always have, but I’m not convinced they were the right calls. He’ll learn, though.
It doesn’t. But I’ve seen enough of Dixon to be equally concerned about him starting. Looking back at the goals I’m not convinced that he’s hugely at fault for 2 or 3. I suspect it’s the usual ‘find a whipping boy’ stuff from. Our fans. Got to be someone to get on the back of.

Social media behaves as though anyone else would save them. That’s not the case.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:06 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:57 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:45 pm
Iles wasn't too complimentary about today's ref; was he justified?

Foul in the build up to their third
Was behind the tackle, slid in with the left foot and his right looked like it went over the top of the ball.
Interesting. I was side on to it and it looked 'textbook'. Looking forward to seeing a replay of it now. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:02 am

Hindsight is always 100%. Gilks did look rusty and unfit, but even so, the manager clearly has more confidence in him than Dixon. I was surprised the first one beat him. Not sure what happened on the free kick as I didnt see a reflection, but it appeared he didnt react at all to it. Hard to save a shot from in your 6 yard box, so I gave him a pass on that one which rolled between his legs.

I guess the same for Santos, he is unfit, but the gaffer clearly rates Johnston and put him in. He justified it with a smashing game. Doesn't say much for Dixon.

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:00 am

Really enjoyable game and a great atmosphere. The step up in quality of opposition was quite significant but I thought we mostly coped. All the new lads did well. Sheehan is an excellent footballer as is Johnston. We conceded a couple of soft goals but hopefully that will not be a regular thing. Declan John looked like he took a bad knock at the end.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Whilst not wishing to get on Gilkes' case, operation or not, as one who was sat 'over the bowler's arm' as it were for their first goal, his positioning was nothing short of appalling. You could literally have driven a coach and horses between him and his near post.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:34 am

Very good game & happy with a point - however as others have said Gilks had an absolute mare & in my opinion was at fault for all 3 soft goals & Doyle was poor.

As Bruce says his positioning was shocking, and his reactions non existent he looked like he was about 60 - it was as bad a performance as any of Crellin's last season, and it honestly doesn't say much for Dixon if Gilks is 1st choice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Whilst not wishing to get on Gilkes' case, operation or not, as one who was sat 'over the bowler's arm' as it were for their first goal, his positioning was nothing short of appalling. You could literally have driven a coach and horses between him and his near post.
Oh I’d agree. But equally Johnston (who had a great game otherwise) made an appalling error too. Gilks was rusty as you’d expect of a man who’s barely had a pre season and is recovering from an op earlier on in the summer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:34 am
Very good game & happy with a point - however as others have said Gilks had an absolute mare & in my opinion was at fault for all 3 soft goals & Doyle was poor.

As Bruce says his positioning was shocking, and his reactions non existent he looked like he was about 60 - it was as bad a performance as any of Crellin's last season, and it honestly doesn't say much for Dixon if Gilks is 1st choice.
The two players who missed a lot of pre season looked rusty? Well that’s to be expected but we need to be patient as IE said Pre season. These players will play their way in over time.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:38 am

Given how pre season had gone, the selection of Gilkes over Dixon was a surprise and suggests Evatt doesn't yet have enough faith in his own signing.

Any road the game - loved it. Two sides trying to win it, end to end stuff and the place was bouncing. MK are a good side and I was particularly impressed with Eisa(?), the gobshite who scored their opener and their midfield who seemed to outnumber us in the middle of the park and launch quick counters.

For us, new lads all did well. Bakayoko my MotM, Johnston looks a class act despite the error, that wasn't helped by the lofted pass from Gilkes, and Sheehan who struggled at first to impose himself on the game, yet scored a worldy and showed some nice touches and movement.

Happy house here at Genshaw towers
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am

Yes the new lads all impressed, Sheehan is a classy player. I thought that Williams had a great game & Declan John 2nd half was very good, I hope he's not to badly injured as he was limping badly at the end, looked like his knee.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:57 am

I'm looking forward to seeing sheehan particularly, plus Baka and hopefully some more of Kachunga against Oxford.
The keeper thing is an odd one again. No idea why he wouldn't play Dixon in the circumstances. As for Gilks, he's plenty still to offer when fit. Always the same with old players. One bad game and people reckon they're 'gone'. He's clearly not going to be as sharp as 10 years ago but he'll be much better than Saturday.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:59 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:38 am

Happy house here at Genshaw towers
Same here at Tango's Ballroom! :lol:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Don't forget what Gilks does bring though - and it was a massive contributor to last season's success - is his reassuring and calming influence.

I fully accept he is a bit rusty given his pre-season (or lack of) and may potentially have been able to do more for a couple of their goals, but on more than one occasion I noticed him just deliberately slow down the restarts from goal kicks when all around him were panicking and flapping, allowing our lads to compose themselves before going again. This to me is a huge asset we have - younger, less experienced keepers would have probably joined in the panicking. What Gilks can do is prevent everyone being on edge as much.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:34 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Two sides trying to win it, end to end stuff and the place was bouncing. MK are a good side and I was particularly impressed with Eisa(?), the gobshite who scored their opener and their midfield who seemed to outnumber us in the middle of the park and launch quick counters.
I'm no expert on MK ("or anything else" - Statler & Waldorf) but it's probably fair to say Evatt will be watching them and holding up parts of their play as exemplary of the next level we need to attain. They play a similar brand of football to us but stuck with the 3-5-2, a system which can at times outnumber a 4-2-3-1 if defenders step out to create those oh-so-important overloads.

Evidently even in a back four Evatt likes his centre-backs to do that – Santos and Baptiste are happy to steam forward, and early signs are that Johnston is also quite content to march onwards (and ping a stretching long pass) – but the next stage is to get them choosing their moments to do it, so our lads may see some video highlights pointing out how MK did it well. (Evatt post-game: "How they [MK] rotate and play from the back takes intelligence from our players, when to step in, when to jump, when to press.")

On the other side of that is the other transition, from attack to defence. With two overload-seeking teams pressing, there's always the chance of a turnover leaving you exposed - especially, as noted, if our midfield three is Sarce/Sheehan/MJ rather than say Sarce/Lee/MJ. It's a balance we have to get right, and it's down to the nous and reactions of those midfielders. With MJ minding the shop it could get more like a dangerously overloadable 4-1-4-1 than a 4-2-3-1; I do wonder whether the more Evatt-educated Sarce will start to drop a little deeper to allow Sheehan (newer but also arguably with a better passing range) rein at No.10. We'll see.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
For us, new lads all did well. Bakayoko my MotM, Johnston looks a class act despite the error, that wasn't helped by the lofted pass from Gilkes, and Sheehan who struggled at first to impose himself on the game, yet scored a worldy and showed some nice touches and movement.
Glad to hear - most folks agree they all did well, including Kachunga's intelligent assist.

Johnston's error (for which Evatt attributes partial blame to Gilks: "He [Johnston] probably should just get rid of the ball, but I don’t think we should be giving it him there, especially with the type of pass we gave him") doesn't worry me half as much as his ability to get over it pleases me. Seems very promising. Sheehan, although he will have to get used to his tactical role (and and off the ball), also looks a great signing. Promising days indeed.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:39 am

Agree Dave, still think we'll be OK keeper wise, and Gilks will have a part to play. I do however find Evatt's attitude to the position slightly odd, possibly a bit blasé.
I'm quite pissed off I missed it all though, sounded like a great day. Hope there will be even better to come when we start winning.

Edit, dave the minion that is, not DSB sneaking his post I there :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:03 am

Those first two goals are hopeless from Gilks. Lots more sympathy for the third but feck me. Awful.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.