Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:45 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:19 am
^^^ Crikey. It's worse that I thought. Gilks even takes a small step to his right, has all his weight on that side and still lets a tame shot go passed him within a few feet. That said, having seen it from that angle now I do think he's just basically unlucky with the third.
Yeah - bit difficult to say he doesn't see it, because he moves towards it...Just not very quickly...
He moved before it’s taken. I assume because he’s worried about seeing it. He then moves when it’s too late as he sees it after it’s well past the wall.

Not saying it’s good keeping but I do think it’s a better free kick than you might think. Our wall looks a bit small in the middle.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 am

Well good, because we're not saying it's good keeping either. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
^^^ Crikey. It's worse that I thought. Gilks even takes a small step to his right, has all his weight on that side and still lets a tame shot go passed him within a few feet.
Touch of the late Neville Southalls about that. Or perhaps Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon murmuring "I'm too old for this shit."

But seriously - Gillo still has a lot to offer; he'll play much better for us. Unlike some of the wilder-eyed Twitterati I'm not advocating tarring and feathering. I just think Evatt got that call wrong and for people to defend the decision by saying "Well of course he's not match-fit" doesn't dissuade me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
^^^ Crikey. It's worse that I thought. Gilks even takes a small step to his right, has all his weight on that side and still lets a tame shot go passed him within a few feet. That said, having seen it from that angle now I do think he's just basically unlucky with the third.
I think from the reverse angle it’s pretty obvious he’s blinded by the wall. Personally think it’s a great free kick. Over the middle of the wall from there takes skill.
Christiano Ronaldo takes 'great free kicks' - that bounces past Gilks apologetically. Furthermore he's moving in the right direction and it's close enough to him for him to have stopped it. It's piss-poor goalkeeping.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think from the reverse angle it’s pretty obvious he’s blinded by the wall. Personally think it’s a great free kick. Over the middle of the wall from there takes skill.
Christiano Ronaldo takes 'great free kicks' - that bounces past Gilks apologetically. Furthermore he's moving in the right direction and it's close enough to him for him to have stopped it. It's piss-poor goalkeeping.
The ‘it goes in right past him’ misses the fact he can’t see it. As a keeper those that dip over the wall are the hardest I can tell you. You can see he reacts very late and as much as Twitter tells you that’s because he’s 39 I can tell he can’t see it till it’s too late. Again it looks poor and I get that. And perhaps a less rusty Gilks does better. But it’s absolutely not easy to save those. If it went the other side then I’d be far far more critical of him. It’s the walls side. Many top keepers would argue that you have half the goal and the wall the other.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

All I know is that if it had been Dixon who let those in he’d have been slaughtered as another Billy C!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:52 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
^^^ Crikey. It's worse that I thought. Gilks even takes a small step to his right, has all his weight on that side and still lets a tame shot go passed him within a few feet.
Touch of the late Neville Southalls about that. Or perhaps Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon murmuring "I'm too old for this shit."

But seriously - Gillo still has a lot to offer; he'll play much better for us. Unlike some of the wilder-eyed Twitterati I'm not advocating tarring and feathering. I just think Evatt got that call wrong and for people to defend the decision by saying "Well of course he's not match-fit" doesn't dissuade me.
I think having watched Dixon in pre season I can understand the thinking of needing a keeper with experience.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Come on! This little lad would've saved it
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:52 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I think having watched Dixon in pre season I can understand the thinking of needing a keeper with experience.
In which case Evatt's signed a (27-year-old) duffer. Either he made the wrong call signing Dixon or he made the wrong call ignoring him for a half-fit Gilks. Well, that's my opinion at least. I don't think we should drum either out of town but it is entirely possible that neither man is infallible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The ‘it goes in right past him’ misses the fact he can’t see it. As a keeper those that dip over the wall are the hardest I can tell you. You can see he reacts very late and as much as Twitter tells you that’s because he’s 39 I can tell he can’t see it till it’s too late. Again it looks poor and I get that. And perhaps a less rusty Gilks does better. But it’s absolutely not easy to save those. If it went the other side then I’d be far far more critical of him. It’s the walls side. Many top keepers would argue that you have half the goal and the wall the other.
You don't have to tell me. No, really - you don't. I'm very well aware that the keeper doesn't get to see the ball until it begins to clear the wall, but thanks for the masterclass.

I'm also aware that a keeper requires agility and speed-of-reaction in these situations.

Now, for comparison, watch both free kicks again.

They're from near identical positions, yet watch their (otherwise dreadful) keeper's reaction to Sheehan's excellent free kick. Then watch Gilk's lack of reaction to their tepid effort.
If their keeper can get across and almost keep out an excellent strike from our lad, how come Gilkes in an almost identical situation, behind a wall just the same, can't move two feet to keep out what is ultimately a tame effort.

Now, you can attempt to head off down the road of condescension all you like, but I prefer not to read Twitter's reaction.

At the end of the day the facts are the facts, and that is that Gilks was shocking on the first two goals, and on the free kick almost embarrassing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:32 am

A view just of T.V.; Gilks wasn't to blame for the goal, he obviously expected Johnston to clear the attack when he sent him the ball. Johnston was slow/clumsy in controlling it, lost possession and gifted them the chance...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
You don't have to tell me. No, really - you don't. I'm very well aware that the keeper doesn't get to see the ball until it begins to clear the wall, but thanks for the masterclass.

I'm also aware that a keeper requires agility and speed-of-reaction in these situations.

They're from near identical positions, yet watch their (otherwise dreadful) keeper's reaction to Sheehan's excellent free kick. Then watch Gilk's lack of reaction to their tepid effort.
If their keeper can get across and almost keep out an excellent strike from our lad, how come Gilkes in an almost identical situation, behind a wall just the same, can't move two feet to keep out what is ultimately a tame effort.

Now, you can attempt to head off down the road of condescension all you like, but I prefer not to read Twitter's reaction.

At the end of the day the facts are the facts, and that is that Gilks was shocking on the first two goals, and on the free kick almost embarrassing.
I think "near identical positions" is generous to Gilks tbh. The Sheehan one is basically the dream position to hit a free kick, slightly off centre far enough out to get it up and down, not too far out. And as you say their not v good keeper almost got there.

Theirs is wider, narrowing the angle and giving less space to hit. If he'd fallen over to his right he'd have saved it. It's woeful.

Sure, he's had no pre-season and he's getting on but as DSB is saying, they're reasons not excuses.

I'm sure he'll improve and have better games but I don't think he was all that last year (almost anyone would've looked good compared to Crellin). Keeper worries me. I'm also a big fan of Evatt's but it's starting to look like a blind spot.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

For me the difference is Sheehan’s is further out and straighter so the keeper is naturally less obscured and in terms of reaction he moves late too. It’s probably not much different to Gilks other than he dives but it’s too late regardless.

I don’t really think you can directly compare the two given the fact that the keeper will have a much better view of Sheehan’s even then if you freeze frame it he dives late.

I’ve seen quite a few good keepers concede to free kicks like Twines on Saturday. I’m not saying at all it wasn’t saveable but you can see him react all to late and he realises he’s beaten. Perhaps he’s finished and too old and whatever. I just personally think he’s taking a lot of blame and whatnot a bit unreasonably. His position on goal one is shocking and I’m sure he’d be first to admit that. Free kick looks soft but might be trickier than some give credit for. And if he saves third it’s a wonder save. So all in all - he didn’t have a good game. At all. But it’s not all on him. And we drew. And if he’s no good then Evatts made a bad call on it. We wait and see I guess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:51 am

Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:52 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

In which case Evatt's signed a (27-year-old) duffer. Either he made the wrong call signing Dixon or he made the wrong call ignoring him for a half-fit Gilks. Well, that's my opinion at least. I don't think we should drum either out of town but it is entirely possible that neither man is infallible.
Not as binary as that. Perhaps signing a keeper meant we couldn’t sign someone else. It’s a balancing act. Dixon might not be a duffer either it might just be Evatt who early on stated MG would be his number one next season thinks Gilks is better. And perhaps in hindsight he might have given Gilks Tuesday instead. But we live to fight another day.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:54 pm

That Freekick, he could've volleyed that.. Knee height, half a yard away from him and the nutmeg.. Jeez I nearly spewed up watching that back. Awful

Zero reaction times on any of the goals. All 3 should've been saved. A very, very concerning performance from him

That aside, I thought it was a brilliant game of football and on balance, the draw was probably the fair result, but we missed some fantastic chances.

Great to be back and with Santos in that back 4 alongside Johnson and a proper keeper, we're well in with a shout this season
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:17 pm

Going to be tough on Baps the goal machine....But I suspect that's the plan, yes...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:27 pm

I'm less inclined to point the finger at Gilks over goal #1 than I am for goals #2 and #3. You would have expected any keeper, let alone one of Gilks's experience, to be getting something on that free kick. It's a fair distance out, it's a tight angle, and it's not hit particularly well. Even allowing for it dropping over the wall, and the visibility issues that poses, there's plenty of time to get over there. The best keepers in the world would have been catching and holding it. Gilks isn't the best in the world, but it's still a very soft goal.

The third - well, you can see from Gilks's reaction that even he thinks he should have done better. Again, it's not hit that hard. Fine, 6 yards out, but it's straight at the keeper, and he doesn't react until it's already past him.

He had a bad day. It happens. He'll do better next time.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:20 pm

We cannot have another Crellin start this season. We just would not be able to recover so I hope Gilks get fit quickly because it would appear to me that the Defense does not yet have confidence in Dixon based on his pre-season performances, and the Gaffer is aware of that, hence his decision.

Having played defense most of my life, I know what it feels like when you feel your keeper is weak. You trust him with nothing.. his calls, passing the ball back to him, nothing!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Ha that’s the problem innit, we are all scarred from Crellin. I think Gilks will be ok and if not Dixon will be ok. I think it’s a position we will need to sort to kick on though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:47 am

On the subject of keepers, by the way, something so evident last season was that the standard of finishing was generally woeful; there was always more chance of seeing an effort go wide as there was seeing the keeper have to make a save.

That may remain the case this season too, but to a far lesser extent, I'd imagine.