Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:09 am

Rustiness or not, I think that IE has made a mistake by not bringing in a decent 1st choice keeper & it could hurt us this season, it'll take Gilks at least a month to get fit, if as I said it is just fitness & rustiness ?

He was like a beached whale yesterday.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:36 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:09 am
Rustiness or not, I think that IE has made a mistake by not bringing in a decent 1st choice keeper & it could hurt us this season, it'll take Gilks at least a month to get fit, if as I said it is just fitness & rustiness ?

He was like a beached whale yesterday.
I'm sure he was always going to put Dixon in for the cup game on Tues and I'd be surprised if he doesn't keep his place for the real Wombles game. Unless he chucks a couple in of course.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:38 am

I have to be honest, I'm struggling to cut as much slack as some for a man who's done nothing but keep goal for a living for the past 20 years that he's a little 'rusty' by dint of him having missed some pre-season friendlies
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:06 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:57 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:45 pm
Iles wasn't too complimentary about today's ref; was he justified?

Foul in the build up to their third
Was behind the tackle, slid in with the left foot and his right looked like it went over the top of the ball.
Interesting. I was side on to it and it looked 'textbook'. Looking forward to seeing a replay of it now. :)
mj.png
mj.png (717.79 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:38 am
I have to be honest, I'm struggling to cut as much slack as some for a man who's done nothing but keep goal for a living for the past 20 years that he's a little 'rusty' by dint of him having missed some pre-season friendlies
The free kick was ridiculous. Rooted to the spot whilst the ball goes in 2ft to his right. I'd understand if it was a massive deflection but it wasn't. He blamed everyone for all 3 goals. If you're having a bad day you hold your hands up and say sorry. Something he didn't do.

I suspect he'll be buying Baptiste a beer this week.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:01 pm

Just watching the replay of our third, Kachunga so pivotal to getting the ball back to keep the pressure on to not giving up on a lost cause.

Brilliant.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Whatever the reason is he played and had a poor day. Not sure that the man who saved our season last time out really needs slack but given Dixon is hardly likely to pull up trees we have to just back Gilks to return to his form last season. As that’s the call Evatt has made.

I really hate the bolton fan base (the Twitter lot) at times and their propensity to need to find a whipping boy. If Doyle and Dapo had been sharper in front of goal Gilks’ errors wouldn’t have come into it.

Keepers get a raw deal sometimes. I’d have liked us to sign a real first choice keeper but we don’t have unlimited pots of money. What I saw of Dixon Pre season didn’t fill me with lots of optimism but perhaps he will develop.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:31 pm

He "saved our season" by not being 2D.

And if your response to a 3-3 draw is "the strikers should've score more" well...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:31 pm
He "saved our season" by not being 2D.

And if your response to a 3-3 draw is "the strikers should've score more" well...
It wasn’t about individuals. Gilks made errors. So did back four. What’s nonsense is people saying Gilks is past it based on one game where he’s not played Pre season for a variety of reasons.

It’s utterly stupid for people to be saying that. If Baptistes slip had been punished and we’d lost to that people would be saying he’s too old. It’s just a bit reactionary.

And Evatt made a call on keepers. We don’t have a senior option you could call a nailed on first choice. So we will be playing Gilks probably and hoping he gets sharper.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Whatever the reason is he played and had a poor day. Not sure that the man who saved our season last time out really needs slack but given Dixon is hardly likely to pull up trees we have to just back Gilks to return to his form last season. As that’s the call Evatt has made.

I really hate the bolton fan base (the Twitter lot) at times and their propensity to need to find a whipping boy. If Doyle and Dapo had been sharper in front of goal Gilks’ errors wouldn’t have come into it.

Keepers get a raw deal sometimes. I’d have liked us to sign a real first choice keeper but we don’t have unlimited pots of money. What I saw of Dixon Pre season didn’t fill me with lots of optimism but perhaps he will develop.
I'm happy to cut him slack, like with Johnston who made a boob, and Baptiste who also made a boob that they didn't capitalize on. Dapo / Doyle both had chances you'd hope they did better with. So there was a fair amount of it around, yesterday.

The second goal, he did look very rooted and it didn't look as good as Sheean's strike earlier in the day, so I think he had a "below his own average" game.

Like Pru, I don't think suggesting that if we'd scored 5 to win the game, that's a plan to work to. Scoring 3 at home, you should win.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 pm

No need for victims, all else would be forgotten in a flash if we'd won. That's the importance of a win; it not only gets three points but gives the players and fans a boost. A draw is the half-empty, half-full, which ever you choose. Yesterday was our first full bore league game and a few lessons must have been learned by both the players and the boss. The cup game might show a few more, but all early days yet,

COME ON YOU WHITES..... :oyea: :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm happy to cut him slack, like with Johnston who made a boob, and Baptiste who also made a boob that they didn't capitalize on. Dapo / Doyle both had chances you'd hope they did better with. So there was a fair amount of it around, yesterday.

The second goal, he did look very rooted and it didn't look as good as Sheean's strike earlier in the day, so I think he had a "below his own average" game.

Like Pru, I don't think suggesting that if we'd scored 5 to win the game, that's a plan to work to. Scoring 3 at home, you should win.
Wasn’t suggesting that. More just that you can look all over for individual mistakes as you say. The overall takeaway for me from yesterday is we look dangerous on the front foot but we also struggle more than I’d like in the other direction. That’s not just on Gilks (who clearly had a sub par game yesterday) but other areas of the team. I thought one or two were below par Doyle, Dapo and Sarce along with Gilks. But it happens. If by Christmas we have a string of keeper appearances like this then I think it will need addressing in January. But it’s too soon to be writing anyone off now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:12 pm

Yup. By dint of strange coincidence, the MK Dons site "The concrete roundabout", they seem to have concluded they need a new keeper... :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Just seen their goals on replay for the first time. Shockers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:16 pm

Not convinced I’d blame Gilks too much for their second. Over the wall into bottom corner. He’s doing well to shift his weight down to that I’d say. Was wall positioned right? Probably a much better strike than it’s given credit for that.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:16 pm
Not convinced I’d blame Gilks too much for their second. Over the wall into bottom corner. He’s doing well to shift his weight down to that I’d say. Was wall positioned right? Probably a much better strike than it’s given credit for that.
Absolute tosh, it was less than 2ft from him, have a look at the video from behind the goal he didn't even move - saying that he didn't move all game.

You can defend him all you like, but for all 3 goals Gilks was at fault IMO - he played like an old goalkeeping coach which is exactly what he is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:53 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Absolute tosh, it was less than 2ft from him, have a look at the video from behind the goal he didn't even move - saying that he didn't move all game.

You can defend him all you like, but for all 3 goals Gilks was at fault IMO - he played like an old goalkeeping coach which is exactly what he is.
It’s the side of the wall. How many keepers save those? It’s not exactly easy.

As for the third blaming him for a shot in the 6 yard area is nonsense. Went through his legs but you aren’t expecting any keeper to save those.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

You can admit you were wrong, you know. He had a stinker. End of. Put Johnston under pressure with the first, causing him to take an extra touch and allowing their two to close him down. When the shot came in, he was well beaten on his near post. On the second, he didn’t budge an inch as the ball sailed past him just a few feet away and was then beaten through his legs, from a soft shot for the 3rd goal, albeit from not very far out.

I really don’t understand Evatt bringing a keeper in that he knew well, then not having enough faith to play him. As good as Gilks was last season, he’s a 39yo who we brought out of retirement. Hardly building for the future.

That aside, what a bloody game. How good was it hearing that crowd and being able to celebrate goals in the stadium?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

^^ but I don't really have him at fault for goal 1. That was Johnston's cock up