Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Remember you were a womble. MK Dons (H) EFL L1 7.8.21 3pm KO

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:38 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:16 pm
Not convinced I’d blame Gilks too much for their second. Over the wall into bottom corner. He’s doing well to shift his weight down to that I’d say. Was wall positioned right? Probably a much better strike than it’s given credit for that.

You can admit you were wrong, you know. He had a stinker. End of. Put Johnston under pressure with the first, causing him to take an extra touch and allowing their two to close him down. When the shot came in, he was well beaten on his near post. On the second, he didn’t budge an inch as the ball sailed past him just a few feet away and was then beaten through his legs, from a soft shot for the 3rd goal, albeit from not very far out.

I really don’t understand Evatt bringing a keeper in that he knew well, then not having enough faith to play him. As good as Gilks was last season, he’s a 39yo who we brought out of retirement. Hardly building for the future.

That aside, what a bloody game. How good was it hearing that crowd and being able to celebrate goals in the stadium?

I don’t agree with the first I mean I’d not have Gilks playing that ball but Evatt wants us to play from the back so that will happen. Johnston made a mess of it. I’d say from there Gilks has to do better at near post for sure.

Nobody would say he had a good game but it’s about perspective isn’t it? He didn’t have a great game but I’d certainly not say there is a keeper who necessarily would have stopped them. Not like he's chucked three in. All were difficult the third really down to some shocking defending as they cut right through us. He’s not had a good game by any stretch it’s more just the hyperbolic reaction. The MK Dons keeper made a similar howler for our third goal. It happens.

In terms of building he’s got a limited pot of money and Gilks is 39 but keepers play beyond that nowadays. Ideally I’m sure he’d have signed a more established and proven keeper but he’s invested elsewhere which for me is probably fair enough given urgency of need in other areas.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:23 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Not convinced I’d blame Gilks too much for their second. Over the wall into bottom corner. He’s doing well to shift his weight down to that I’d say. Was wall positioned right? Probably a much better strike than it’s given credit for that.
Absolute tosh, it was less than 2ft from him, have a look at the video from behind the goal he didn't even move - saying that he didn't move all game.

You can defend him all you like, but for all 3 goals Gilks was at fault IMO - he played like an old goalkeeping coach which is exactly what he is.
^^ but I don't really have him at fault for goal 1. That was Johnston's cock up
Johnston's touch was poor, but he needlessly received an awkward ball under pressure from Gilks, who, when faced with the one-on- one may as well have got a board out with a flashing arrow on it saying 'place ball here' and pointing to the two yard gap between him and his near post.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Absolute tosh, it was less than 2ft from him, have a look at the video from behind the goal he didn't even move - saying that he didn't move all game.

You can defend him all you like, but for all 3 goals Gilks was at fault IMO - he played like an old goalkeeping coach which is exactly what he is.
Johnston's touch was poor, but he needlessly received an awkward ball under pressure from Gilks, who, when faced with the one-on- one may as well have got a board out with a flashing arrow on it saying 'place ball here' and pointing to the two yard gap between him and his near post.
Reasonable...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:48 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Reasonable...
Is my middle name 😁

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:08 pm

I know its the Internet, but it's quite possible to think gilks had a stinker while still considering him alright by me and welcome to marry my sister any day.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:08 pm
I know its the Internet, but it's quite possible to think gilks had a stinker while still considering him alright by me and welcome to marry my sister any day.
Indeed. It’s also possible to think he had a bad game whilst not necessarily being totally solely responsible for all three goals.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:45 pm

If Dixon isn't better than a 39 year old 'slow as fcuk, semi retired, overweight' Gilks then why the feck have we bought him ?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm

You're very generous. Not a great ball out, though Johnstone had controlled and then made a big balls up, but from there he still should not get beaten, tight angle and in at the near post. Poor IMO

Second is awful too. It isn't hit hard, plenty time to react, 2ft to the side of him.

Harsh to blame him for the third. Hit under a body in the six yard box, not much time to react. You're just hoping you get a foot to it in which case it's a really good save.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:45 pm
If Dixon isn't better than a 39 year old 'slow as fcuk, semi retired, overweight' Gilks then why the feck have we bought him ?
In the summer IE said Gilks was his first choice and he wanted a backup to offer competition. I guess take it up with him. He didn’t sign Dixon to be a first teamer from the off that was obvious. It’s Evatts judgement. Given he’s got most things right probably best to just settle down and stop overreacting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm
You're very generous. Not a great ball out, though Johnstone had controlled and then made a big balls up, but from there he still should not get beaten, tight angle and in at the near post. Poor IMO

Second is awful too. It isn't hit hard, plenty time to react, 2ft to the side of him.

Harsh to blame him for the third. Hit under a body in the six yard box, not much time to react. You're just hoping you get a foot to it in which case it's a really good save.
I agree on the first. On the second do you have an angle behind the goal? Because it’s over the wall so I’m questioning whether he did have lots of time to react and see it. You see those sort of free kicks go in a lot if someone has the skill to do that because keepers are blinded that side often.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:53 pm

No news on Declan John? Convinced he was injured at the end, did it challenging back when they cleared a corner, just before our equaliser.

Some melon got thrown out from the away fans end with his pants round his ankles. feck knows what that’s about.

Some noise on those goal videos as well. Love it!

Santos - who is he in for?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:58 pm

A handful of mistakes by Gilks cost us in the game. He'll be disappointed and quite rightly so. He's been so good for us that a bad game was inevitable some time and judging from his lack of preseason prep it's hardly surprising its come at the moment it has. Maybe it's a number of things all coming to the front all at once, bad preseason, fans being back, higher league, etc.

I've got faith in his ability and look forward to seeing him on the teamsheet again. Hopefully in the next league game rather than the cup, give Dixon a chance after all.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
In the summer IE said Gilks was his first choice and he wanted a backup to offer competition. I guess take it up with him. He didn’t sign Dixon to be a first teamer from the off that was obvious. It’s Evatts judgement. Given he’s got most things right probably best to just settle down and stop overreacting.

Aye, because you’ve not been guilty of that on numerous occasions!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:45 am

Loving the noise on the goal videos!

Looking again at those we conceded, it struck me that as much as they could be attributed to Gilkes errors, the defenders have got to be upset at the 1st and 3rd that they allowed the strikers to get shots off without getting a block in. Added to the fact the free kick for the 2nd was a result of a poorly judged tackle in a dangerous area, then collectively the team has to take most of the rap.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm

I agree on the first. On the second do you have an angle behind the goal? Because it’s over the wall so I’m questioning whether he did have lots of time to react and see it. You see those sort of free kicks go in a lot if someone has the skill to do that because keepers are blinded that side often.

At 6:45 in this video:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:13 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Aye, because you’ve not been guilty of that on numerous occasions!
I've not really seen much overreaction on here. Twitter on the other hand, stopping overreaction there - best of luck with that journey...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:19 am

^^^ Crikey. It's worse that I thought. Gilks even takes a small step to his right, has all his weight on that side and still lets a tame shot go passed him within a few feet. That said, having seen it from that angle now I do think he's just basically unlucky with the third.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:19 am
^^^ Crikey. It's worse that I thought. Gilks even takes a small step to his right, has all his weight on that side and still lets a tame shot go passed him within a few feet. That said, having seen it from that angle now I do think he's just basically unlucky with the third.
I think from the reverse angle it’s pretty obvious he’s blinded by the wall. Personally think it’s a great free kick. Over the middle of the wall from there takes skill.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:45 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah - bit difficult to say he doesn't see it, because he moves towards it...Just not very quickly...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think from the reverse angle it’s pretty obvious he’s blinded by the wall. Personally think it’s a great free kick. Over the middle of the wall from there takes skill.
We score that and it's jammy. It's not postage stamp, keeper isn't wrong footed. The 3rd from that angle is even worse.

It's hard to stick up for the keeper when he was beaten by saves to shots on target by a defender.

We can all agree he had a stinker. We can all hope they are few and far between.