The Cup rests on the Bar: Barnsley (H), League Cup, Tue 10 Aug @ 8pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Cup rests on the Bar: Barnsley (H), League Cup, Tue 10 Aug @ 8pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 pm

I think a midfield of MJ, Sheehan and Sarce for some games will be too open. Lee adds extra chasing and pressure. He had a great game tonight, and could probably do the holding role too so I’d look at him there as well.

I think bar Delf and Doyle everyone else had good games. Doyle clearly not match sharp but he also doesn’t offer enough for me as an outlet. We look a different side with Baka on the pitch. He’s pretty much our most important player right now.

Not sure I agree with the Isgrove comments…he had a good game tonight. Lacked a bit of cutting edge at times but still I thought he was industrious and for me away from home he’s a good option.

Not sure what’s happened to Delf but he was very poor indeed. So much so that I’d say Darcy deserves next chance ahead of him.

But it was a great night and the big take home is 5 players stepped up, looked confident and all took great penalties. Can’t argue with that. Dixon had a solid game too - bit frenetic off his line at times but settled down. Barnsley edged the first half and we really dominated the second. We deserved to win and the manner we did was hugely pleasing. There are just small signs so far but seeing the 5 step up to take penalties really felt incredibly reassuring. Kachunga went to speak to Dixon after his pen and then he saved the next one….

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:57 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:48 pm
If we do get am away draw, I'd like Harrogate or Barrow, since I missed out on those trips last year.
Harrogate are out - due to their COVID closedown, Rochdale got a bye against them. Barrow is possible though, they beat Scunny.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:57 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:48 pm
If we do get am away draw, I'd like Harrogate or Barrow, since I missed out on those trips last year.
Harrogate are out - due to their COVID closedown, Rochdale got a bye against them. Barrow is possible though, they beat Scunny.
In the next round, Rochdale will end our further participation by 'doing' us at San Spotty. Mark my words ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:20 pm

Whisper it quietly….it’s feeling hot, not quite white hot yet…but maybe…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:20 pm
If I’m not mistaken, our first cup win against a higher-division team since Sunderland (FA3, 2013); only our second in two decades.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 am

Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:20 pm
If I’m not mistaken, our first cup win against a higher-division team since Sunderland (FA3, 2013); only our second in two decades.
A good side too, could well have been gearing up for the Prem.
Now to spoil the Wombles homecoming.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 am

Lots of positives to take from the half that I watched (second).

I still think Kieran Lee is a real top notcher, and he'd be in my starting XI more often than not. Sheehan also looks like a classy operator, and I'm struggling to believe he's spent the entirety of his career in the fourth tier up until this point. Is there a way we can fit both into the side?

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 pm
I think a midfield of MJ, Sheehan and Sarce for some games will be too open. Lee adds extra chasing and pressure. He had a great game tonight, and could probably do the holding role too so I’d look at him there as well.

I think bar Delf and Doyle everyone else had good games. Doyle clearly not match sharp but he also doesn’t offer enough for me as an outlet. We look a different side with Baka on the pitch. He’s pretty much our most important player right now.

Not sure I agree with the Isgrove comments…he had a good game tonight. Lacked a bit of cutting edge at times but still I thought he was industrious and for me away from home he’s a good option.

Not sure what’s happened to Delf but he was very poor indeed. So much so that I’d say Darcy deserves next chance ahead of him.

But it was a great night and the big take home is 5 players stepped up, looked confident and all took great penalties. Can’t argue with that. Dixon had a solid game too - bit frenetic off his line at times but settled down. Barnsley edged the first half and we really dominated the second. We deserved to win and the manner we did was hugely pleasing. There are just small signs so far but seeing the 5 step up to take penalties really felt incredibly reassuring. Kachunga went to speak to Dixon after his pen and then he saved the next one….

Nothings happened to Delf Insane, he’s just Delf as he’s always been. For someone who has so much ability, it’s just sad that he doesn’t have the work rate to match it but then if he had he wouldn’t be in the lower divisions. I groan now when I see him included and am surprised that in a team that IE insists works hard for each other, he continues to play him. We have so many alternatives now in Dapo, Kachunga, Thomason, Politic and Darby who can play his role, that I just don’t understand what he offers, other than apathy. He doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist and just ambles about most of the time, so surely I must be missing something other like yourself can see or expect?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:43 am

Do we know when the draw for the next round is?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:43 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:41 pm
Draw on Sky after the live game tomorrow. Regionalised again.
Hope we get a winnable one at home, not some boring but good team away.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:55 am

Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:52 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Good oh.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:08 am

Whitesince63 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 pm

Nothings happened to Delf Insane, he’s just Delf as he’s always been. For someone who has so much ability, it’s just sad that he doesn’t have the work rate to match it but then if he had he wouldn’t be in the lower divisions. I groan now when I see him included and am surprised that in a team that IE insists works hard for each other, he continues to play him. We have so many alternatives now in Dapo, Kachunga, Thomason, Politic and Darby who can play his role, that I just don’t understand what he offers, other than apathy. He doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist and just ambles about most of the time, so surely I must be missing something other like yourself can see or expect?
Last season he started really well - 7 or 8 goals? Then halfway through he faded a bit. BUT he still for me at least grafted - especially defensively. I remember Salford for example or the games he started in behind Doyle - for me going forwards he faded but workrate defensively was not an issue.

Pre season he looked sharp again in the bits I saw. But last night he just looked lacking in any confidence. Maybe he's one who really needs to play centrally?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am

Oppo options, as I understand it:

Burnley
Everton
Leeds
Newcastle

Blackpool (if they beat Boro tonight)
Derby
Forest (if they beat Bradford tonight)
Huddersfield
Boro (if they beat Blackpool tonight)
Preston
Sheff U
Stoke

Accy
Crewe
Donny
Morecambe
Shrewsbury
Sunderland
Wigan

Barrow
Bradford (if they beat Forest tonight)
Oldham
Rochdale

As it's regionalised, I guess we might also get Wolves, Villa, Norwich or West Brom (who all enter at the next stage), depending where they draw the geographical line. But to my eyes they're all south of Peterborough, who were in the southern section till they were tw@tted 4-0 at home by Plymouth last night.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:06 am

Norwich v Barrow in a 'regionalized' second round would be, frankly, glorious.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:40 am

Delfs form seemed to dip as he became a dad and as better players were brought in. He's still one of the few to offer a goal scoring threat though and he's another good option once he's fully fit.

PNE at home next up would be good. They travel in numbers, it'd be a good test and would be winnable.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:01 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:40 am
Delfs form seemed to dip as he became a dad and as better players were brought in.
Interesting, this. It's usually easier to play in a good team but as you say he somehow got much worse as we improved. Might be the baby, although I think that reason's often overstated. Maybe he was just slightly better than a poor team. Whatever, I hope he comes good, not least as I can't imagine his wage is the smallest.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:55 am
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:52 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Good oh.
Tut

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:07 am

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am
Oppo options, as I understand it:

Burnley
Everton
Leeds
Newcastle

Blackpool (if they beat Boro tonight)
Derby
Forest (if they beat Bradford tonight)
Huddersfield
Boro (if they beat Blackpool tonight)
Preston
Sheff U
Stoke

Accy
Crewe
Donny
Morecambe
Shrewsbury
Sunderland
Wigan

Barrow
Bradford (if they beat Forest tonight)
Oldham
Rochdale

As it's regionalised, I guess we might also get Wolves, Villa, Norwich or West Brom (who all enter at the next stage), depending where they draw the geographical line. But to my eyes they're all south of Peterborough, who were in the southern section till they were tw@tted 4-0 at home by Plymouth last night.
League 2 team at home in the next round, followed by one of the big Prem teams away in round 3 would be my preference.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:10 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:07 am
League 2 team at home in the next round, followed by one of the big Prem teams away in round 3 would be my preference.
Aye. The teams in European competition, including two or three glamorous near-neighbours, enter at third-round stage and are still likely to play their kids or reserves, precisely because they're in Europe.

Imagine how much Evatt would love to face (or indeed meet) Guardiola or Bielsa. He'd be buzzing like a f*cked fridge.