Plough on: AFC Wimbledon (A), Sat 14 Aug @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Plough on: AFC Wimbledon (A), Sat 14 Aug @ 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:57 pm
Safe to say Josh Sheehan has faded this half.
First time he's gone the 90.

FT 3-3. Well.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Well points thrown away but what a great spectacle to watch. Lovely football at times and sucker punched after the penalty.

Really nice to watch. Shame about the result.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Commentators saying a 3-3 is a good result?

Can't agree with that when we were 3 fecking 1 up.

Disgustingly poor defending. Hardly going to win us games if we concede 3 every week.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Well I thought a draw would be a decent result, but doesn't feel quite like that right now. Most entertaining team in the land though 🙄

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Guaranteed goaless draw Tuesday now I'm going.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:03 pm

I'm thinking it would be a very brave ref that gave a penalty against the Crazy Gang on their own patch with two minutes to go. Shame we only drew that...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:09 pm

I would have settled for a point beforehand so not that down, even though drawing from being 3-1 up isn't great. We are giving poor goals away as we did at the start of last season.

Our defence looks poor & a bit slow again, Santos isn't fit but he is needed, Gethin Jones very poor IMO today and personally I think that he's a weak link if we are to improve at the back, the positive is that we are very good going forward but for the 2nd week scoring three hasn't won us the game which is a little concerning.

We do play some decent attractive football going forward though which will do for me, but we can't keep conceding very poor / soft goals - perhaps its defence / RB that needs strengthening before the window closes as we obviously don't have an issue up front.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:25 pm

Some of these goals are a wake up call to how difficult this league is going to be. We're going to get punished for our mistakes more than last season and that seems to be the case. I would imagine that all the players will be disappointed to have thrown that away in the manner we have but I suspect it will be a learning experience more than anything. On the plus side the work rate and effort shown by the players is a delight to see.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:27 pm

A good away point though disappointing we couldn't hold on to our 2 goal lead. Our defense has conceded 6 goals in two league games which is worrying. Can't fault any of them on the GK this time around. I thought Santos struggled at times and was at fault for the 3rd diving in up-field in my eyes allowing them to break. He and Bapitise were nowhere for their first which any of 2 Wimbledon players could head in unmarked. Loads to improve. Both cant start on Tuesday. We can attack though, so that's a plus!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:20 pm

The Legendary Flanners, filing from the ground, says he can't understand how we've only got two points. I explained that it was because in each game we let the other team score as many, and I assume he's still laughing as he hasn't got back to me since.

Me, I'm an optimist by nature, and I can imagine us tightening up more easily than I can imagine us drying up, especially as our players get better acquainted. Worth noting that the six goals have come from five different players, which suggests our preseason worries about lack of goals around the team may have been premature (hopefully I'd love to be wrong on that).

Sure, we'll have bigger challenges ahead but we can't complain with scoring six in two games. Get fit, get drilled and we'll be alright.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:22 pm

Evatt:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wimbledon/
We should have won the game. It's hard to be too harsh on them because we're still finding ourselves, our fitness. You can see the ones who carried Covid, they're suffering, and at 3-1 it should be game over. We had a massive chance too, so it should have been game over. Two minutes of absolute madness cost us the game.

We were trying to manage the game by controlling possession but Declan was carrying an injury and tried to play on, then he didn’t track his runner at 3-2 and it gives them a huge lift. Then for five minutes we were mentally gone and it affected us. That can’t be allowed to happen. Once it got to 3-3 we regathered ourselves and looked the more likely again. It was composure, game management maybe, but there was still 20 minutes left.

The good thing is that we have got goals in us. I know that when we get back to our normal selves we’ll keep the back door shut more. People moaned about the 1-0 wins last season, now they're moaning about epic games. There's a long way to go but I think we look a pretty good team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:36 pm

I say not scoring goals is a harder fix than the inability to keep them out. I do think we lack a physical centre mid and centre half in the squad and having one would help these scenarios.

However I think we should be relatively pleased with our start. The greater quality at this level has exposed some of our defending though and I think some of the issues were present last year too but not punished. However, we can work on this.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:38 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:01 pm
Commentators saying a 3-3 is a good result?

Can't agree with that when we were 3 fecking 1 up.

Disgustingly poor defending. Hardly going to win us games if we concede 3 every week.
I’d not be too downhearted. I think we are learning the level still. I’d say a couple players in would help we lack a bit of power defensively.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:44 pm

And to think we'd have gone 4-1 up had it not been for some ludicrous goal keeping.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:55 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:44 pm
And to think we'd have gone 4-1 up had it not been for some ludicrous goal keeping.
Interesting, that lad - New Zealander, came through Brentford academy, joined the Dons academy at 20, loaned out to non-leaguers, largely ignored by the first team as they used a succession of loanee keepers, then got his chance through injury in March. Funny old game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 pm

So effectively (and not blaming anyone, that's pointless) it was all about a penalty. Till then, we had it sewn up and three points. Like the boss man says, two minutes of madness. Ah well, at least we didn't lose an away match against an apparently decent team. Onwards and upwards then....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 pm

A very enjoyable game as a ‘slightly more neutral then you guys’ viewer today. I thought you played well and looked like you should do ok in this league, you more than held your own. Some terrible defending, yes, but at least you can bang them in the other end too! Good support from the away fans and nice to spend time with a couple of TW members. BP and I enjoyed looking round the tennis club before we headed over to the ground - which is not anything like I’ve seen before, built into some hideous flats, nice enough inside but at least get some kind of mural on the mass of brick work we were sat opposite! Home fans were pretty quiet considering it was first game back in a new stadium! Good day out, just sorry you didn’t grab all 3 points. Pics of the tennis club as much prettier and more interesting then Plough Lane!
Attachments
7210D1CF-302D-4F28-BC8A-0E9709AA5125.jpeg
7210D1CF-302D-4F28-BC8A-0E9709AA5125.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1421 times
5030F8C2-07B3-4FD6-AEBF-D0551C77BAE8.jpeg
5030F8C2-07B3-4FD6-AEBF-D0551C77BAE8.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 1421 times
BCFEE66D-9B41-4127-BFBC-AB242F3E85B7.jpeg
BCFEE66D-9B41-4127-BFBC-AB242F3E85B7.jpeg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1421 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Sounds like the Declan John injury did for us - two games, two injuries…hope liam Gordon is ready cos he’s gonna be getting some game time this season.

I’m in the Evatt will sort the defence out camp, he did last season. I’m glad we’re scoring goals. No Gilks to pan this week 😜

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Sounds like the Declan John injury did for us - two games, two injuries…hope liam Gordon is ready cos he’s gonna be getting some game time this season.

I’m in the Evatt will sort the defence out camp, he did last season. I’m glad we’re scoring goals. No Gilks to pan this week 😜
Gilks might have organised those in front of him a little better…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:32 pm

There is still a problem in this league and that is MJ in midfield at times being overrun. I don’t think the midfield is really balanced yet. Someone needs to drop a bit deeper and help MJ or we need to tweak the system a bit and add another player like him in. Because too often teams are through and we become ragged when that happens.