Plough on: AFC Wimbledon (A), Sat 14 Aug @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Plough on: AFC Wimbledon (A), Sat 14 Aug @ 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:51 pm

There was no evidence of that today as AFC put everything in the air or down the left.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:32 pm
There is still a problem in this league and that is MJ in midfield at times being overrun. I don’t think the midfield is really balanced yet. Someone needs to drop a bit deeper and help MJ or we need to tweak the system a bit and add another player like him in. Because too often teams are through and we become ragged when that happens.
Playing two defensive midfielders doesn’t seem a particularly Ian Evatt style tactic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 pm

I might spin that a little. Didn't see today, but last week, I think we'd have been more solid with Lee and MJ. Of course, that then creates a problem...coz he's either got to do something with Sheehan or Club Captain....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:00 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:32 pm
There is still a problem in this league and that is MJ in midfield at times being overrun. I don’t think the midfield is really balanced yet. Someone needs to drop a bit deeper and help MJ or we need to tweak the system a bit and add another player like him in. Because too often teams are through and we become ragged when that happens.
Playing two defensive midfielders doesn’t seem a particularly Ian Evatt style tactic.
Evatt is much more of a pragmatic manager than I think he likes to give the impression of.

But regardless I think this year we are playing more of a 4141. There is little evidence of either Sheehan or Sarce really ever dropping in alongside MJ. Whereas last season Lee played with MJ initially then Thomason. Not as two sitters sure. But definitely more in that area with Sarcevic given licence to play the attacking mid role.

Against Barnsley to my eyes Lee played forward with Sarcevic rather than the system of last season. Perhaps it’s intentional or just the way it looks but to me midfield has been more vacant this season than last time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:11 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Sounds like the Declan John injury did for us - two games, two injuries…hope liam Gordon is ready cos he’s gonna be getting some game time this season.

I’m in the Evatt will sort the defence out camp, he did last season. I’m glad we’re scoring goals. No Gilks to pan this week 😜
Gilks might have organised those in front of him a little better…
And I might have kept out the shots he might have let in with my knob. 🙄
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:08 pm

What a lovely day. Grabbing the train just before the doors shut, walking into an Earlsfield pub, seeing a group of Bolton fans strike up a chorus of 'Wanderers, Wanderers' as I walked in to sort me out, me replying in kind. A few pints with mates, then a short walk to the ground, get your bag checked for you-know-whats and then finally walking through the little tunnel and seeing a green pitch and stands full of fans, before thinking to yourself...yeah, I've missed this.

In terms of the game the result is disappointing. It's one thing being the better side and it ending up 0-0 but to be 3-1 up and, frankly, coasting...well that's a different kettle of Tetley's entirely. They basically played their entire hand in the first 20 mins, got their goal, and from then on I felt we were just...better than them. Defended against their rather one-dimensional attack well, looked dangerous when we broke and really didn't look in trouble until that calamitous two-minute spell. After that you could argue either side had a puncher's chance. Should never, ever have gotten to that though.

Overall I'm delighted how we look going forward and while the back worries me, I think that will come in time.

Doyler's pen shout...I was pleading and unhappy with the decision, but also know that, if that had been given against us, the post-match phones at GMR might have blown up.

No particular player highlights from me. Think Dixon was fine, first goal I think you could blame four different people for so I'm not lumping that on him. Doyle clearly not quite fit yet, Sarc and Sheehan also blowing. Santos also looked a bit wild toward the end of the game in contrast to his f*cking dominance first half. Him going against their big forward to shield it out for a goal kick :lol:

Reckon sheehan has got several goals in him this season. Late runs into the box from midfield, yes please.

Rest were fine. Excited to see what this team will do this season I must say.

COYWM, etc.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:22 pm

Yeah, great day and fair result in the end. We're still growing into this league but there's lots to be optimistic about. On another day, we'd have got to 75 minutes and brought Lee on for Sheehan to shore it up and close the game down.

I'm still not convinced over Dixon. I thought on the 1st goal it was there to be claimed and his overall decision making looks suspect to me but hopefully with experience will come greater form.

It's just great to be back at matches and watching what appear to be a great bunch of lads giving their all. A clear run home was a bonus too. Happy Wanderer again here!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:09 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 pm
3-1

<sings Kaiser Chiefs> Dapo Afolayan, Da-po- A-fo-layan
In the pub pre-match someone had an Afolayan chant going to the tune of 'Starman' by David Bowie. I wish I could remember it in full, because it seemed amazing at the time.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:44 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:09 am
3-1

In the pub pre-match someone had an Afolayan chant going to the tune of 'Starman' by David Bowie. I wish I could remember it in full, because it seemed amazing at the time.

There's Afolayan waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:11 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:09 am
3-1

There's a star man playing for the Whites
His name is Afolayan and he's feckin dynamite!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:49 am

Fitmer colleague supports Sheffield Wednesday, asked a few weeks ago how I thought we'd do this season.
Sent my words back to me yesterday with a laughing emoji...

'Solid but short of goals' :oops:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:30 am

We're on to score 138 goals this season!

On to concede that many too.

Was there with Keyser, and echo pretty much what he said.

Dixon pleasantly surprised me tbh. He was a bit wobbly first half and seems a bit rooted but there were no calamitous cock ups and he made what a looked a very good save in the second half coming out to smother after their player had a heavy touch in on goal.

Haven't seen a replay for the first one but it seems a bit harsh to blame him. In hindsight he could have definitely got there but it was a flat cross (rather than hoiked in) and a split second decision. Come and get it wrong and it's a definite goal.

That goal - it will be someone's fault getting dragged in and I'm sure they'll analyse it but I fall very much more on it being one of those things rather than a glaring error. Daft free kick given away by Daps. Cross from the right, cleared out to the left, cross from the left, cleared back out to the right, and then ball to the back stick. It was quite Big Sam, POMO, like. They're v tough to stay organised and we ended up outnumbered at the back.

I agree with BWFC that the midfield doesn't look right at the minute, and I think we missed Lee in there in the last half hour. It's defo MJ sitting and two 8s. I get why, and it is good going forward, and Evatt's comments several times at Sheehan learning what we want from him positionally are aimed at that. They changed a bit from going long and started to get it in CM and drive. MJ looked outnumbered, and both he and Sheehan were on yellows so had to be careful. Still a little bit criminal that we let that happen from 2 up tbh.

Sheehan is a funny one. Very very gifted footballer, but currently drifts in and out of games and looked for the Hollywood a little too much. But I think that'll come and he's defo got a lot of goals in him. Fantastic, really fantastic finish for his goal (from a great ball but easy to get wrong) and then second half, more late runs to the box.

I would normally go the more pessimistic approach that it's easier to stop scoring goals than it is to stop conceding them, but I think it will come, and Covid/lack of pre-season is affecting a few. Santos was immense for 70 mins (and is a lot more of an organiser than I had thought. He was constantly judging Jones and Baka where he wanted them on goal kicks etc. Future captain. He then had a 5 min wobble. Not sure the pen was that much his fault, he had to make the challenge. The bigger issue was how, at 2 up, he and Baptiste were 2v2 in our own box, though it sounds like that was John's injury who I think immediately went off. And then the 3rd, Santos went in for a big one on half way and it bounced through to send them 1v1 . Couldn't see from where we were who's fault that was.

Overall though absolutely fantastic to be back, to "meet" all the players (who a week ago had never officially played in front of Bolton fans bar Baptiste). Dapo is a lovely little shithouse (and that goal is exactly what he needed to add to his game.

And Wimbledon, a bit tame for their first game in their new Mecano stadium tbh. But there we go. Away end was absolutely rocking, I was knackered at FT. A handful of boos for taking the knee comprehensively drowned out by applause.

Looking to do it all again Tuesday.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:00 am

Haven’t seen the goals back, but Dixon seemed to start to move towards the ball on the first and went back on his line. For me, that decision cost us the goal. Saying that, there wasn’t any great challenge from any of our defenders. Great finish from Sheehan and nice to see Dapo pop up at the back post to score. Couldn’t see the penalty incident, but knew as soon as it went in we weren’t going to win. Didn’t expect the equaliser quite so soon, but when their man turned on the halfway line, I was just waiting for the net to bulge.

Not at all impressed with their supporters during the game, considering it was the first back home. Tbf we were thanked and bizarrely applauded by a number on the way out for being a part of their day. Stadium is weird, being stuck in the middle of blocks of flats. As Pru says, very much a Meccano stadium.

All in all a really enjoyable first proper away day since Wimbledon in March 2020 with excellent company. From being serenaded by GG in the car on the way in, to visiting the All England Club, which is amazing and onto a cracking, if frustrating game. Good to catch up with HG and Mrs HG. Traffic on the way home was brilliant, which is always a bonus and getting home at 10:15 was way earlier than some previous away days. Now for Lincoln on Tuesday with LE!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:24 am

I'll serenade you too, sweetcheeks.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:27 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:24 am
I'll serenade you too, sweetcheeks.
Won’t be a patch on mine 8)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Sorry we missed you Pru and Keyser, it’s been a while but I hoped to have recognised you both.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:28 pm
Sorry we missed you Pru and Keyser, it’s been a while but I hoped to have recognised you both.
This is the problem with having such a vast support base. :D

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:54 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

Likewise, and sorry for not replying to your post, broke my phone Friday like a lemon so was off grid all Saturday. Think the last time I saw you was at this very fixture last year!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:51 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
This is the problem with having such a vast support base. :D
:D They probably walked straight past me at some point! I’m rubbish at recognising people!