Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:47 pm

There comes a point where we have to win games, rather then be satisfied with draws. I think Lee probably has to play for me, to stiffen up the back 4 (fnarr). I'm a little lost as to why we've opted to lose some defensive solidity for some more attacking intent. No point scoring 3 if you let 3 in at the other end, because no one scores three every game. There's a lot to be hopeful about, but leaking goals isn't going to work long term. This might be the day we restrict the oppo to less than three, but it might also be the day when they do the same to us.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:48 pm

Bit confused re ifollow. Saturdays match wasn't on but tonight's is.
Would this be the routine for the rest of the season?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Yeah they have gone back to only showing midweek games on iFollow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:47 pm
There comes a point where we have to win games, rather then be satisfied with draws. I think Lee probably has to play for me, to stiffen up the back 4 (fnarr). I'm a little lost as to why we've opted to lose some defensive solidity for some more attacking intent. No point scoring 3 if you let 3 in at the other end, because no one scores three every game. There's a lot to be hopeful about, but leaking goals isn't going to work long term. This might be the day we restrict the oppo to less than three, but it might also be the day when they do the same to us.
I think in all honesty the main reason we've struggled is Covid and tiredness and lack of pre season prep for key players especially at the back. Players like Santos, Johnston had Covid and we're asking them to play and it seems like it reduces physical and mental fitness - you can sort of see we've tired in both league games. Not that its an excuse and I think there are issues in midfield. But I'd assume and certainly hope we aren't planning on being a team that scores 3 and concedes 3 regularly. I suspect there are some mitigating issues and some tactical tweaks to be done.

But also we've gone up a division and lets face it we held on by the skin of our teeth at times in league two (and sometimes didn't) so the likelihood was always we'd concede more. If we score more too then happy days!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:45 pm
Nice and easy for me this. DSB's team is what I'd pick. Think we need to graft for this one. Win the battle and earn the right to possibly open the game up a bit later. Big ask though I think.
Forgot to mention - Dixon in goal :mrgreen:

(Gillo can play at Wigan next Tuesday)
Worthy4England wrote:
I can see the reasoning - Sheehan is an exciting signing, Lee hasn't been fully fit. I don't think Evatt particularly cranked the Riskometer knob from 1 to 10, just that different players do different things, and I imagine he's feverishly Downloading Content into Sheehan for what to do off the ball - he seems to know what to do when we've got it...
knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:48 pm
Yes - no Saturday 3-5 games or midweek games which are live on Sky.Or League Cup.

From https://www.efl.com/news/2021/august/ho ... on-202122/, what's on iFollow is:
• All scheduled midweek matches (unless selected by Sky Sports)
• Displaced weekend matches – matches which are moved from Saturday 3pm kick-offs for non-TV purposes (at the discretion of the Home Club)
• Bank Holiday matches (at the discretion of the Home club)
• Papa John’s Trophy matches (apart from the Semi-Finals and Final which are live on Sky Sports)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:45 pm
Nice and easy for me this. DSB's team is what I'd pick. Think we need to graft for this one. Win the battle and earn the right to possibly open the game up a bit later. Big ask though I think.
Forgot to mention - Dixon in goal :mrgreen:

(Gillo can play at Wigan next Tuesday)
Worthy4England wrote:
I can see the reasoning - Sheehan is an exciting signing, Lee hasn't been fully fit. I don't think Evatt particularly cranked the Riskometer knob from 1 to 10, just that different players do different things, and I imagine he's feverishly Downloading Content into Sheehan for what to do off the ball - he seems to know what to do when we've got it...
knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:48 pm
Yes - no Saturday 3-5 games or midweek games which are live on Sky.Or League Cup.

From https://www.efl.com/news/2021/august/ho ... on-202122/, what's on iFollow is:
• All scheduled midweek matches (unless selected by Sky Sports)
• Displaced weekend matches – matches which are moved from Saturday 3pm kick-offs for non-TV purposes (at the discretion of the Home Club)
• Bank Holiday matches (at the discretion of the Home club)
• Papa John’s Trophy matches (apart from the Semi-Finals and Final which are live on Sky Sports)
Yeah I imagine based on IE's comments about Gilks and Covid that it will be Dicko tonight and I'd probably go with that too. I do think we miss Gilks' commanding presence and vocal coaching. And I think he'd be my first choice. But I don't think Lincoln away on a wet and windy August Tuesday is the right place to bring him back if Covid is still impacting his mind and/or body.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:01 pm

^^ I didn't see the second two games, but I thought Sheehan was fairly anonymous defensively in the first game. I like him going forwards...But winning balance needs to be there. First game I thought we left MJ somewhat exposed (and I think that's what I read from people who saw Barnsley and Wimbledon games). He'll be shagged come game 5 if we keep leaving him on his own. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:01 pm
^^ I didn't see the second two games, but I thought Sheehan was fairly anonymous defensively in the first game. I like him going forwards...But winning balance needs to be there. First game I thought we left MJ somewhat exposed (and I think that's what I read from people who saw Barnsley and Wimbledon games). He'll be shagged come game 5 if we keep leaving him on his own. :-)
Again I think all true but is it more the higher calibre opponents are able to pick us apart more easily and expose perhaps the fact that Sarce and Sheehan are both more forward thinking? Tonight I'd probably like to see Lee sat a bit deeper with MJ as maybe we played in some of the tougher away games last season and just have a little more discipline in midfield. It happened in the Wimbledon game a bit too but really there were what to me looked like tired individual mistakes from Santos, Declan etc that perhaps cost us more...I still think though that if your midfield gets caught on turnovers even if teams don't score from them its encouragement for the opposition and it makes defending a lead or general defending more difficult as you're backpedalling a lot if you lose it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:24 pm

I don't know what I was expecting but Lincoln is well nice. The road called "Steep Hill isn't lying mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:24 pm
I don't know what I was expecting but Lincoln is well nice. The road called "Steep Hill isn't lying mind.
That the one up towards the Cathedral with all ye olde style shops? Nice round them parts
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
It was quite an important place in the early Middle Ages. Would be unkind to say things have got worse since then.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:25 pm
Prufrock wrote:
That the one up towards the Cathedral with all ye olde style shops? Nice round them parts
That's the one! Not paying £10 to go and walk around the castle walls though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:40 pm
Prufrock wrote:
It was quite an important place in the early Middle Ages. Would be unkind to say things have got worse since then.
Apparently so. They've got one of the Magna Cartas*

*Pendants be fecked

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:49 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Me and The Mighty Flanners walked up yon hill afore the 5-1 the other year. Then sat in a striplight burger joint and silently ate chips. You can't buy those sorts of memories.
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:51 pm
*Pendants be fecked
Yeah, balls to the dangly bastards.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Ha, you’re not kidding but it’s worth it when you get to the top. Lived there for 4 years and if it snows at Christmas, you feel like you’re in a Dickens novel. Loved it there and sad to have to move.

Anyway, as for the game I agree with those shouts for Lee to start with MJ to shore us up a bit but then it’s a question for IE on whether to play Sheehan or Sarce. Glad it’s not up to me but I still think whoever he picks were good enough to get the win so I’ll go for 1-2 to the Whites.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:38 pm

In the golden eagle. We've been promised a bbq

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:38 pm
In the golden eagle. We've been promised a bbq
03c9cb852df98994e6da4f47917b6ba8.png
03c9cb852df98994e6da4f47917b6ba8.png (2.32 MiB) Viewed 797 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:55 pm

We'll ping their bollocks and administer nipple twisters as we see them off 3-2 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Each battle will get harder in this league, but the mighty Whites will prevail. COME ON YOU WHITES.... :pray:

P.S. Clean sheets for a start..

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:33 pm

Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:16 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:49 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Me and The Mighty Flanners walked up yon hill afore the 5-1 the other year. Then sat in a striplight burger joint and silently ate chips. You can't buy those sorts of memories.
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:51 pm
*Pendants be fecked
Yeah, balls to the dangly bastards.
:lol: :lol: :lol: