Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:39 am

Terrible highlights makes us look like we got lucky, cheeky bastards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt5jr31wzWU

Just a note on Sarcevic, didn't think he really got into the first two games and a bit anonymous tonight too, but at about 70mins we looked really tired, and ready to concede, it would have been easy for him to jog back and hide, he didn't, he really stepped up and went the extra mile, blowing out his arse, he was excellent both defensively and going forward, showing great leadership and determination to win, then scored the goal that gave the whole team a boost. 100% we would've lost that without him.

Some other random thoughts. Kachunga looks too good for this league. Dixon looks solid if not spectacular. Gordon perfectly acceptable. Dapo's shooting has improved. Doyle needs to sharpen up in front of goal. Gethin's engine is unreal. Can't wait for Dapo, Kachunga and Bakayoko all on the same pitch.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:18 am

Great win last night, unexpected but the wanderers juggernaught is clicking into gear…

Any news on the Bakayoko injury? I think Isgrove has played himself into the starting XI in any case? He’s a different player to the one that first signed for us a year ago.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:25 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:18 am
Great win last night, unexpected but the wanderers juggernaught is clicking into gear…

Any news on the Bakayoko injury? I think Isgrove has played himself into the starting XI in any case? He’s a different player to the one that first signed for us a year ago.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ssion=true

Baka has a calf strain and could be out for a couple of weeks.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:

Agree on Isgrove but it wouldn’t be Baka I’d be leaving out, were he not injured of course.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:57 am

Competition for places. It’s good.
I’d like to see Dapo / Baka / Kachunga eventually but it’s hardly like Doyler is sat on his arse doing nowt. The Phoenix is rising!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:59 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:00 am
Best thing was the way they played after going ahead. No fearful withdrawal, no backs to the wall, kept pushing at them and Lincoln couldn't get back at us. There wasn't any gung-ho silliness about it, just excellent game management from both Evatt with his subs and the lads on the pitch.
Haven't seen a kick of the game nor read a report, however, noting the second half substitutions and the times thereof, they did strike me as being excellent game management from Evatt. Bravo.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:07 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:00 am
Best thing was the way they played after going ahead. No fearful withdrawal, no backs to the wall, kept pushing at them and Lincoln couldn't get back at us. There wasn't any gung-ho silliness about it, just excellent game management from both Evatt with his subs and the lads on the pitch.
On quiet and sober reflection, I think this is an excellent point. I never felt in danger at all last night and even after the goal, I'd normally be making anxious glances at the watch and whistling at the ref. Last night it just felt like they continued going about their business, every man knowing his job, no panic or lack of composure anywhere and then it was full time.

A fantastic performance and a great 3 points.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:16 am

Looking at video highlights above, Jones comes storming back ( at 1,15 in) to make an exceptional interception. 👌 first class defending.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:43 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Agree on Isgrove but it wouldn’t be Baka I’d be leaving out, were he not injured of course.
I like Baka, but we looked a better team when he went off.. Bakayoko leaves us looking slight off balance. We're a footballing team and if he plays centrally, we'd be too easy to play against with the ball on the floor. Doyle has better movement and is a better goalscorer in a central position and on last nights viewing, Isgrove has more quality and defensive capability out wide
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:56 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:57 am
Competition for places. It’s good.
I’d like to see Dapo / Baka / Kachunga eventually but it’s hardly like Doyler is sat on his arse doing nowt. The Phoenix is rising!
Doyle's movement is what is letting the other players get in the box. We're a better team with him in it. He drags defenders our of the area and splits pairings, which lets players like Sarc, Dapo and Sheehan get into dangerous positions

If we lose that movement and have Baka playing centrally, the only joy we could have is by going direct and we are not that team

Last night, even MJ Williams benefitted from BAka going off. We were hitting too many diags and Sarc / Sheehan were gambling to get ahead and when the second ball dropped, Williams was exposed

As soon as Isgrove went on, the Midfield settled and got control of the game
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 am

That assist by Katchung, class and composure.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 am

The "highlights" made a joke of the commentary. Who compiled them, Lincoln's manager?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:55 am

What a night. Make no mistake, Lincoln are a good side. The first half was two very good sides neutralising each other, we had more of the ball, they had the better half chances. Second half we absolutely bossed it. Play off final losers last year, good start, good players, at home and they couldn't get a kick. We moved the ball so well, controlled but at a tempo, probing and rotating. We didn't make lots of great chances but we just wore them out. The goal they conceded was that of a tired team, because they hadn't touched the ball. That was our quality on it, but also work rate off it.

The midfield was night and day v Wimbledon and they were all excellent. I think because Lincoln try to play as well, Sarc and Sheehan were always in the game, whereas against Wimbledon they went direct earlier isolating MJ. I think that's probably shape as much as personnel.

Baka isn't a winger, not for us anyway. He wants to play back to goal and find physical contact with his full back. It makes us v lopsided and we need everyone rotating and moving. Izzy was superb when he came on, and suddenly everyone was on the same wavelength. Their left back was lightening and he clocked that early and drifted inside, or moved him wide but let the ball do the work.. Really clever player and his work rate off it is excellent. If he could just find some end product. He's won me round though.

Really pleased for Gordon, I wouldn't say he stood out but that's a good thing. Probably only one real mistake out of position in the second half when they got in behind him and he recovered really well.

Johnston and Santos superb together, individually and as a pair. Dixon didn't have much to do but looked quietly competent.

Jones is dodgy 1v1 against real pace and I'm sure that will cost us at times but he was otherwise excellent. Fantastic engine, positionally v good and cut out a lot of breaks, uses the ball very well too.

Sheehan takes up some fantastic positions on the half turn, quite a few times you could see people just hesitate half a second and then the moment was gone but as they play more together he's going to be a real threat. Sarc was his usual self, the ropiest of the front 6 on the ball (arguably in the front ten), his first touch got him in a few moments of trouble, but then he was the one who drove us on to win the game, ludicrous work rate pressing and breaking into the box, really lifted the rest of them and deserved his goal, never in doubt once it dropped to him. Amazing celebrations too right in front of the crowd, feck me I've missed that.

Thought Kachunga did well when he came on, there's clear quality there and a hell of a lot more to come once he gets up to speed. His chat is my fav in a long time too!

Daps was electric. Seems to be really reveling in crowds being back and he's a proper little ratbag. Love him. Diouf-esque. It's all with purpose at the moment too, he's the one in the front line who has that little bit different and can open things up.

Doyle, really good again for me, perfect 70 for him. Movement excellent and fine for him to drop deep when he have so much control of the ball, pulls people away and makes room for the others to run into ahead. Still finding his feet and then I'm sure the goals will come.

I'm feeling confident of my top 8 prediction after that. Superb night.

Atmosphere excellent as well. From both sides tbf.

Motm, MJ edging Daps.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:02 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 am
The "highlights" made a joke of the commentary. Who compiled them, Lincoln's manager?
I haven't seen the highlights but I did watch the game (when the f**king stream worked), and while I enjoyed watching my team I do think it was a fairly even game that could have gone either way until one team scored. Certainly, had we lost 1-0 I wouldn't have described it as a robbery. We had 54% possession, which is majority but only just and probably because Lincoln frequently tried to hit us with swift counterattacks as soon as they got possession. They also had 15 attempts on goal to our 10 and 6 on target to our 2.

I agree with those who've said that in terms of "feel" it felt like a confident, professional performance, and given it was against last year's play-off contenders, very promising and lovely indeed. But unlike some, including our manager and captain, I wouldn't say we "dominated" the game. I wouldn't say they dominated us, either: it was a flowing, end-to-end game between two teams playing good attacking football, but it was more of a slugfest than a calculated pick-off or a brutal battering with an inevitable knockout.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:04 am

The highlights are a funny one, I'm not sure there are many "chances" from us missing (Doyle in the first half I would say) and they had a fair few decent shots. Our dominance was more about long spells where we controlled the ball and ran them ragged. Death by a thousand cuts. The first 15 of the second half we must have had 70% possession, all in their half and probing, they couldn't get out (whereas first half it was safer and slower in our half).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:04 am
The highlights are a funny one, I'm not sure there are many "chances" from us missing (Doyle in the first half I would say) and they had a fair few decent shots. Our dominance was more about long spells where we controlled the ball and ran them ragged. Death by a thousand cuts. The first 15 of the second half we must have had 70% possession, all in their half and probing, they couldn't get out (whereas first half it was safer and slower in our half).
We'll have to take your (excellent) word on that, the iFollow images didn't reappear until 10 minutes into the second half having missed about the first 20 of the first...

Their xG was 1.5, ours was 0.8, so no it doesn't sound like there's many chances missing. Hard to edit 15 minutes of oppo-half probing into highlights... but it does win games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:11 am

Prufrock wrote:
Dapo hit the bar and couldn't quite get the rebound. Also his shot that flashed just wide - though that was post scoring. I'd say we didn't create loads and if we're really honest - whilst we deserved to win - Lincoln probably had two excellent chances that had one gone in we'd probably have lost - such are the fine margins of football nowadays.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:13 am

The bar is on there isn't it? The header cleared off the line up onto the bar or was there another? Agreed on the shot too, I had half celebrated as it looked it :lol:

Had some intense eye contact with the skip after he scored too, god I've missed football :lol:

And yes, completely agree. If we'd lost 1-0 I'd have still been confident we'd have a good season but they were enough of a threat, almost completely on the break mind, that they could have nicked it. Even at 0-0 me and our kid kept whispering "are we class?" to each other.

The confidence I think comes from the manner of it. Wimbledon are a bit bobbins, very league 1 2/3rds "the rest". Lincoln aren't, they're a proper team, and we went to their place and wrestled control of it and made them play on the break.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:05 am
Prufrock wrote:
We'll have to take your (excellent) word on that, the iFollow images didn't reappear until 10 minutes into the second half having missed about the first 20 of the first...

Their xG was 1.5, ours was 0.8, so no it doesn't sound like there's many chances missing. Hard to edit 15 minutes of oppo-half probing into highlights... but it does win games.
That's a real shame because we came out really well. It was all at tempo and probing. The % is obviously a pretty finger in the air guess but it's true that they had almost no controlled possession even in our half for that first 15.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:22 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:13 am
The bar is on there isn't it? The header cleared off the line up onto the bar or was there another? Agreed on the shot too, I had half celebrated as it looked it :lol:

Had some intense eye contact with the skip after he scored too, god I've missed football :lol:

And yes, completely agree. If we'd lost 1-0 I'd have still been confident we'd have a good season but they were enough of a threat, almost completely on the break mind, that they could have nicked it. Even at 0-0 me and our kid kept whispering "are we class?" to each other.

The confidence I think comes from the manner of it. Wimbledon are a bit bobbins, very league 1 2/3rds "the rest". Lincoln aren't, they're a proper team, and we went to their place and wrestled control of it and made them play on the break.
Yeah sorry was just summing up our 'chances' in the game. We didn't have loads. I thought we looked dangerous but so did they. I did think after about 70 minutes that we were the side struggling a bit more than them as the game stretched but we seemed to kick on again. Goal came at the perfect time.