Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:58 pm

Tremendous result and performance tonight, really encouraging stuff. As a promoted team we just beat the losing playoff finalists away from home.

We’re not here just to make up the numbers.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:50 pm
Really good result.

Same lineup as the one we went with Barnsley so that's a good sign that we've got a back 5 keeping clean sheets.
Good to see Gordon being positive. Certainly putting himself in contention.

The Bakayoko injury is a big concern as he's looked really good so far this season. Hopefully gives a chance to Kachunga now
Isgrove was superb tonight. And I liked Kachunga up the middle.
Isgrove was. And Jones was excellent with his support

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Great away night. My first game back. Celebrating with a scotch egg.
Atmosphere at the end amazing. I've missed it.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm

Even most of the Lincoln fans on their site accepted we were the better side and deserved to win, which I think we did. Still think if we could just bring in a true young front man we’d be a different proposition but with goals coming from all positions maybe it doesn’t really matter. Well done whites, we now have lift off and we’ll done all those who travelled to shout the boys on, you done good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm

That second half performance was phenomenal. We've got a hell of a football team.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:05 pm

Third successive game our oppos have had several more shots than us (7-13, 8-18, then 10-15) without beating us. We scored with one of only two on-target efforts. Things to improve on but we're doing well, and the Johnston/Santos axis has now kept two successive clean sheets against two of last season's play-off teams.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm
That second half performance was phenomenal. We've got a hell of a football team.
This is the the thing. I really like watching us play. Not just win, which is nice whatever the football – I enjoy the process too. That hasn't happened much in a long time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Need to keep momentum now as this run of fixtures continues. Saturday we host Oxford, who finished sixth last season and are fifth right now. Then it's Wigan, so it's not just a cup game. Then a long trip to Cambridge, who'd be happy to stay in their current 17th, and are therefore the sort of team a promotion contender should be looking to beat.

If - and it's not a small if - we beat the two varsity teams, a lot of folks will start believing. And some of them will be the lads on the pitch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 pm

Also a word for the fans. Haven't seen the angle but I imagine it was a glorious half-second on that away end when it looked like the chance had gone but then Kachunga squared it and Sarce hoved into view... must have felt inevitable that the net was gonna bulge, and so it did.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 pm

No disrespect intended to these players, but wouldn’t it be nice if we could get Crawford and Comley off the books? With a couple more good players through the doors I think we’d be serious playoff contenders.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Wow what a great win against a very decent Lincoln side, 2nd half was very good with many good performances - Isgrove & Katchunga were excellent, along with Dixon, Jones, Santos & Johnson and great support BTW.

Huge confidence builder this win IMO

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
This. A fecking hundred times this.

MJ motm, Isgrove superb again but basically heroes all over the park. Never felt in any danger of losing against one of the better sides in the division. Was a nice surprise at breakfast this morning when I realised we were in the same hotel as the team. If they're still here in the morning their all getting a big man hug. Every bally one of em.

Beers flowing now :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:18 pm

Man of the match? Williams vs Sarce for me. As ever probably give it MJ. But those two were both outstanding. Personally thought it was Sheehan’s most ineffective game thus far. But he worked hard.

Also worth noting that I thought Bridcutt was absolutely outstanding for them. Imagine him and MJ in the heart of our midfield?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:22 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 pm
No disrespect intended to these players, but wouldn’t it be nice if we could get Crawford and Comley off the books? With a couple more good players through the doors I think we’d be serious playoff contenders.
This is an excellent point. Also the option of deregistering Liam Edwards for a third space if need be. Playing like this we might be an attractive destination for players and loaning clubs.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 pm
Prufrock wrote:
This is the the thing. I really like watching us play. Not just win, which is nice whatever the football – I enjoy the process too. That hasn't happened much in a long time.

Evatt out!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:22 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 pm
This is an excellent point. Also the option of deregistering Liam Edwards for a third space if need be. Playing like this we might be an attractive destination for players and loaning clubs.
I'd love to see Crawford become the player he was up until getting carried off against City's kids. It absolutely has to still be in there somewhere.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:09 pm

Evatt.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... coln-city/
We were absolutely outstanding. We were upset with Saturday and the one before because to concede three goals twice wasn’t really like us. And I was more peeved with not having control of the game, not having possession, because that is how we dictate things.

We had a big discussion yesterday and told them lots of things which they took on board and applied it tonight. It was a fantastic away performance.

I don’t think it was the second half, I think we had control all game. We limited them to very little, a couple of counter attacks here and there, but otherwise we dominated possession and the hard yards were done in that first half, in my opinion. Teams fatigue when you are chasing the ball.

We have been brave from the back, built from the back, applied what was given to them. We deserved the win.

I’m disappointed not to have nine points to be brutally honest. I think we deserved nine points but we haven’t because of the way we have given away too many transitions and lost goals at key periods.

But this team is still improving. We have to keep them all in one piece and fresh, and we are picking up injuries because of what happened in pre-season and the workload, but they have applied everything I gave to them and I am super proud of them.

I had no doubts. We have a huge amount of belief and this team isn’t used to losing games anymore. Teams find it hard to beat us and tonight we fully deserved the victory, in my opinion.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:52 pm
Feckin get in. The son-in-law is going to get some serious ribbing :pissed:
Took your time with that kettle!
:lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:00 am

Best thing was the way they played after going ahead. No fearful withdrawal, no backs to the wall, kept pushing at them and Lincoln couldn't get back at us. There wasn't any gung-ho silliness about it, just excellent game management from both Evatt with his subs and the lads on the pitch.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:07 am

Have to say: tonight's win has made me as happy as I've been in a long time. More of the same please!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!