Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:32 pm

As it's under half an hour until matchday, I guess we need a thread. Didn't know until very recently they'd added "vital" to their name, but there you go.

3-3.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:33 am

This will be the first match I'll actually be able to watch (on iFollow), so I'm expecting a 0-0 thriller.

Sounds like we've still got some half-fit players in the squad, so it will be interesting to see who starts tonight. Does Evatt trust Gordon enough to start in the league? Is Santos fit enough to play again? Does Kieran Lee come in?

I'm not even going to guess a lineup today, but will predict another draw.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:40 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:33 am
This will be the first match I'll actually be able to watch (on iFollow), so I'm expecting a 0-0 thriller.

Sounds like we've still got some half-fit players in the squad, so it will be interesting to see who starts tonight. Does Evatt trust Gordon enough to start in the league? Is Santos fit enough to play again? Does Kieran Lee come in?

I'm not even going to guess a lineup today, but will predict another draw.
I wouldn't be risking further injury to John at this point. Plus its a chance to see if Gordon is OK or if we need to recruit another left back.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:45 am

I'll happily take another 3-3 tonight.

I know it wouldn't help our promotion chances but if the last few matches are anything to go off it would be quite entertaining and I suspect something that hasn't been done before in English football (three 3-3 draws in a row)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:09 am

Gotta be honest I suspect we will struggle tonight. Fitness catching up and injuries etc...and Lincoln are a hard team to play against at the best of times.

Big test. A draw would be a super result. I fear we'll taste defeat though. But it won't be the end of the world. I think tonight does call for more of a dig in and resist type of performance though - leak goals and could be a bit of a tough night.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:10 am

Tough fixture this. The last 2 games both felt winnable whereas a point away here would be a good result.

Seems that they're a possession based side like us and perhaps we need more steel in the middle of the park. Lee for Sheehan perhaps?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 am

We'll shit em 4-1.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:56 am

2-0 to the Imps - I think this test has come around too quickly for us. But again, it won't define us and it shouldn't dent our confidence
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:16 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:56 am
2-0 to the Imps - I think this test has come around too quickly for us. But again, it won't define us and it shouldn't dent our confidence
Three games (Oxford, Wigan, Cambridge) in the subsequent 10 days give plenty opportunity to overcome any hiccups - or indeed to start building momentum. And while the Covid-ruptured preseason is stopping us outlasting teams like last season, it does at least give reason for Evatt to start rotating his XI, which I think will become much more prevalent (horses for courses) than last season.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:56 pm

I'd be starting Lee tonight.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:56 pm
As would I - I totally get playing MJ, Sheehan and Sacervic but Lee is a Rolls Royce when he's on it and his possession and composure gives us an added blanket for the defence

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:08 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
As would I - I totally get playing MJ, Sheehan and Sacervic but Lee is a Rolls Royce when he's on it and his possession and composure gives us an added blanket for the defence
Definitely need him in there. Who gets dropped out of Sarcevic and Sheehan? Probably Sheehan which seems harsh after the start he's made. I've not seen any games yet so don't know apart from goals who has been better?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Aye. Particularly if Gordon's playing for the injured Dec. Just an extra bit of help for the young fella. Lincoln play a 4-3-3 (not unlike we have been recently) and while they may have lost last season's breakout player Brennan Johnson, right-winger Anthony Scully - who scored 11 last season - bagged two on Saturday. Flash has got great recovery pace but we're going to have to be careful on turning over possession; you suspect Lee will fill the holes better than Sheehan/Sarce, and a 4-2-3-1 would be wiser than a 4-3-3.

By the way, in case anyone's interested - their released winger Harry Anderson, who we discussed at reasonable length on the transfer thread, joined Bristol Rovers. Zack Elbouzedi moved to Swedish top-flight side AIK.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:20 pm

Do they run out to "Robin Hood, Robin Hood" and play in Lincoln Green"? Just asking.. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:08 pm
boltonboris wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Definitely need him in there. Who gets dropped out of Sarcevic and Sheehan? Probably Sheehan which seems harsh after the start he's made. I've not seen any games yet so don't know apart from goals who has been better?
I'm guessing Sheehan too. At home, I'd say Sarcevic, but not sure dropping your captain away from home in your toughest game so far is something IE would do...

He did say a few things about Sheehan's positioning too. That said, he's certainly good for a goal! This is why Evatt earns the (relatively) big bucks, I suppose

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:09 pm

Same team as last Tuesday for me with Bak for Delf. Would mean dropping two goal scorers, but what players to have on the bench!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Good problems to have.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:27 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:09 pm
Same team as last Tuesday for me with Bak for Delf. Would mean dropping two goal scorers, but what players to have on the bench!
Dapo didn't play last midweek. I'd have him and Isgrove wide, because they both dig back and that will be needed: their left-back Tayo Edun has been involved in all three league goals - scored at Gillingham, then at home to Fleetwood he assisted Scully's first before being fouled in the area for Scully's spotkick second.

I'd probably start with Baka up top and bring Doyler on later. Mind, I said that Saturday.

I'd also consider bringing Sheehan on for the last half-hour, either to chase the game or (if we're winning) to hit them on the break. In a game like this I'd play him in the 2 of the 4231 rather than breaking forward as a loose 8 as he has been doing - we might not get as many goals from him, but he can hurt teams from quarterback. (Tonight, though, I'd start Lee and MJ behind Sarce.)

Centre-backs - I'd lean towards Johnston and Santos, but for now it depends on everyone's fitness. Playing Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat this month, and tonight's the middle game of those seven.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:39 pm

The son-in-law has got tickets for tonight's match at the Mecca of M o n g s and chatting to him it would seem that the six fingered horde are not that confident. What it means in terms of possible results is anyone's guess :conf:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:27 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:09 pm
Dapo didn't play last midweek. I'd have him and Isgrove wide, because they both dig back and that will be needed: their left-back Tayo Edun has been involved in all three league goals - scored at Gillingham, then at home to Fleetwood he assisted Scully's first before being fouled in the area for Scully's spotkick second.

I'd probably start with Baka up top and bring Doyler on later. Mind, I said that Saturday.

I'd also consider bringing Sheehan on for the last half-hour, either to chase the game or (if we're winning) to hit them on the break. In a game like this I'd play him in the 2 of the 4231 rather than breaking forward as a loose 8 as he has been doing - we might not get as many goals from him, but he can hurt teams from quarterback. (Tonight, though, I'd start Lee and MJ behind Sarce.)

Centre-backs - I'd lean towards Johnston and Santos, but for now it depends on everyone's fitness. Playing Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat this month, and tonight's the middle game of those seven.
Nice and easy for me this. DSB's team is what I'd pick. Think we need to graft for this one. Win the battle and earn the right to possibly open the game up a bit later. Big ask though I think.