Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Vital Lincoln City (A) - 7:45pm, 17 August

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:30 am

Huge amount of the credit for that goes to Sarc. Proper captain's performance driving them on. Deserved his rest!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:45 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:18 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:05 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:04 am
The first 15 of the second half we must have had 70% possession, all in their half and probing, they couldn't get out (whereas first half it was safer and slower in our half).
We'll have to take your (excellent) word on that, the iFollow images didn't reappear until 10 minutes into the second half having missed about the first 20 of the first...
That's a real shame because we came out really well. It was all at tempo and probing. The % is obviously a pretty finger in the air guess but it's true that they had almost no controlled possession even in our half for that first 15.
IIRC, after about 35 minutes iFollow flashed up that they'd had about 55% possession - I remember raising an eyebrow 'cos we're not used to that. They also finished the first half strongly (IMO) so we must have had a lot of ball second half to turn that round - 70% in that opening quarter-hour might not be too outlandish. (And these percentages can always be reduced by the "defending" team taking a minute out by knocking safely around their back line.)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:52 am

@Pru - that was my view of Baka too. I thought he was excellent as a "back to goal foward playing on the right wing" v MKD.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:52 am
@Pru - that was my view of Baka too. I thought he was excellent as a "back to goal foward playing on the right wing" v MKD.
I think there are games where that presence out wide really helps. He changed the game coming on against Barnsley and we needed that presence there to go a bit more direct. But last night Issy helped us control the ball better and offered movement.

I feel at home Baka is more critical as teams will naturally sit deeper and his physical presence can alleviate that and make them easier to break down.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:32 pm

Isgrove, who was only on for 51 minutes, made more passes than Sarce, Gordon and Dapo.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Focusing the ball down the right was part of the plan from the start, to get Dapo and into the box and Gordon on for the switch ball, but we never really managed it - In the end, we just went into downright dangerous wing partnership of Isgrove & Jones and they all got involved down that side. Our most joy in the 2nd half
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:59 pm
Focusing the ball down the right was part of the plan from the start, to get Dapo and into the box and Gordon on for the switch ball, but we never really managed it - In the end, we just went into downright dangerous wing partnership of Isgrove & Jones and they all got involved down that side. Our most joy in the 2nd half
Aye, passing stats show that. Bakayoko only tried one pass; Gethin 41 compared to Gordon's 19, Isgrove 21 to Dapo's 15. Also, Reekz' 47 to 33 from Johnston, who's not exactly ball-shy.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:22 pm

I was impressed by Dixon's use of his feet. He messed up a pass back to him in pre-season which made us all very concerened, but based on what I saw yesterday, he is very comfortable using his feet to control and pass. Once I saw a defender hit a dangerous back pass to him hard with a Lincoln forward attacking it, and Dixon coolly dealt with it, and passed it accurately out. Maybe one of the reasons Evatt signed him to keep our possession going. We do look like a very good team with many threats now.

I will also say that defenders much prefer defending against Isgrove than Baka who is also more likely to score.