Mortar boards..boards for mortar...V.Oxford Utd. 21-08-21. 1500.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Mortar boards..boards for mortar...V.Oxford Utd. 21-08-21. 1500.

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Rode our luck a bit today I thought. Vv open, not sure balance is quite right still but it's entertaining. Big big character though. Don't know they're beaten. Great win. 3 of the fancied top half (albeit not the very top) and 7 points from those. Unbeaten. Good times.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:01 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:58 pm
Liking the look of Dixon too
Looked good. Caught everything you'd expect him to.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Deleted my own post in the excitement. No bother, a win and three more points. SUPER WHITES... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:04 pm

Wonderful win! We do look good don't we, staying calm under pressure. Good performances all round but a special shout out to Dixon - Calm throughout and never put a foot wrong; Dapo who has improved tremendously over last year, scored a brilliant goal and was a big threat; defended well; and Sarc for his non stop running all match, driving the team forward!

PS.. Great commentary on ifollow by Peter Smith. A real step up on what we normally are subjected to.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:00 pm
Rode our luck a bit today I thought. Vv open, not sure balance is quite right still but it's entertaining. Big big character though. Don't know they're beaten. Great win. 3 of the fancied top half (albeit not the very top) and 7 points from those. Unbeaten. Good times.
We definitely got away with a few, but again like Tuesday we got stronger as the second half went on.
You can't help but love these lads.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 pm

15,000+ there today. 👏

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:01 pm

Tough game today and I was surprised we managed to come in at half time on level terms. Much better 2nd half though. Surprised at Doyle and Jones getting criticised on here, I thought they were both excellent.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:32 pm

A stunning game. Both teams went to win it. Either could have done. It was at times end to end at a pace usually reserved for the premier league.

Our fight and desire were outstanding and for me the reason we sit here with a win and Oxford don’t. It was the thing that separated the two sides. The only thing.

Every player on that pitch wanted it. They fought like trojans. It was a joy to watch and we played great great stuff too. But in patches. And they hit back.

Their goal clearly handball I have no idea what the officials were thinking though the referee put in a performance that hinted at why he was reported last time.

The stadium was electric and I’m not sure I’ve heard it like that for a league game for a long time.

You can’t really take anything away from us we are playing so well. There are warning signs. Open at the back at times especially on midfield and we are asking an awful lot of MJ and the full backs and Sarce for the running and work they do. No way can they do that all season. I’d say genuine real full back cover for Jones and someone else who can anchor the middle would be so helpful. But you can’t have everything and those additions I think would be the ones that could push us right up into challenging. Without them we are a hostage to fortune and likely the work required in those areas will catch up with us over time.

Find it surprising to read on here the criticism of Jones and Doyle as I thought both were superb. Jones’ delivery at times could be better but he laid a couple of good chances on and I love his work rate. Not excellent at either attacking or defending but good at both and I will take that. John didn’t look fit to me and struggled.

Santos and Johnston struggled a lot first half and frankly it was at times shambolic defending. I thought second half we sat a little deeper to negate their ball over the top which of course had the effect of surrendering more possession but was probably the right call.

Outstanding performances from Dapo, Doyle, Jones, MJ, Sarce. I mean truly outstanding. Man of the
Match again has to be MJ as he’s literally the only bloke in midfield who can stop the other team but his passion f was sublime today too.

It definitely won’t continue like this it just can’t but I think we will find ways to beat teams still. And Oxford were sensationally good today at times. They can count themselves unlucky as they blazed over in injury time. But as Evatt said you make your own luck and we definitely did today.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:42 pm

Thanks for the write up, Insano. I couldn’t watch today, but another tremendous result for us.

Out of interest, do people not think Lee would add more solidity in place of Sheehan?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:00 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:42 pm
Thanks for the write up, Insano. I couldn’t watch today, but another tremendous result for us.

Out of interest, do people not think Lee would add more solidity in place of Sheehan?
I didn’t mention Sheehan but he had a good game too. I do feel off the ball at times he’s a bit of a passenger though. Lee might help in that regard but I feel what we really need is another MJ type a physically dominant midfield player who can sit but also add presence in there. I feel last twenty minutes if we had that on the bench they’d have made a huge difference. It may be seen as negative but sometimes I just think you will find we need that extra body in there someone who will block off areas and is physically dominant.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:01 pm

Ollie Norburn, a Bolton lad, would have been great for that DM role but he's gone to Peterborough (and would have required a fee)

We do have Tutte who can perform that role.
Last edited by jmjhb on Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:02 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:42 pm

My view also on Lee. Together he and MJ stop the opposition running at our central defence which is exactly what Insane is referring to I think. It’s a difficult one for IE because Sheehan has so many attributes and is excellent going forward. It’s up to IE obviously but against pacy teams like Oxford today, I think I’d be plumping for Lee.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Yeah great win…another top team talk at half time albeit goal against run of play? We still wanted it more and didn’t retreat into our shell, just as BwfcI says. Great to see Dapo finding an end product and Doyler back in the goals. Beer now!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:01 pm
Tough game today and I was surprised we managed to come in at half time on level terms. Much better 2nd half though. Surprised at Doyle and Jones getting criticised on here, I thought they were both excellent.
They were just first half observations. Jones got better from 20 mins onwards.

Doyle, just wish he could hold it up and offload to assist with the counter.

Anyways, doesn't matter Doyle scored a belting header and Jones got stronger as the game went on. I do worry for him though as there is little cover.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:08 am

Oh and MJ Williams, such an engine. Starting to think he could be the find of the decade.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:45 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:08 am
Oh and MJ Williams, such an engine. Starting to think he could be the find of the decade.
And I’m starting to think we need to extend his contract…

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:13 pm

Amen to that. Could have extended it this summer in all honesty, sure we are trying to sort.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:45 am
DJBlu wrote:
And find someone who can do a similar job and help that man out. Looked exhausted yesterday but there honestly is nobody in the squad in that mould so it’s definitely something to look at for me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:30 pm

Question, because I didn't see the game yesterday , only followed the commentary:

We seemed to be getting caught for speed, particularly by Taylor, quite a lot in the first half, and even right at the death Whyte got within ten yards of our goal with nobody marking him, had he shot on target two points would have been lost. Are we playing a bit gung-ho in using the offside trap a lot, particularly with dodgy officials, and will it cost us against the better sides in this division? As I said, not a criticism, just an observation/question.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:27 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:45 am
DJBlu wrote:
And find someone who can do a similar job and help that man out. Looked exhausted yesterday but there honestly is nobody in the squad in that mould so it’s definitely something to look at for me.
I can see that, it certainly makes sense. However, I'm just not sure that we can sensibly sanction signing another central midfielder when we already have eight (Williams, Lee, Sarce, Sheehan, Tutte, Thomason, Comley and Crawford) and only one real centre-forward (admittedly Kachunga and Delfouneso could be pressed into action, but both are half-fit).

If we can clear Comley and Crawford off the payroll I suspect we'll get another sitter in, but the squad still looked much lighter up top even before Baka's injury. That's the *squad*; in terms of near-irreplaceabilty in the *team*, I agree MJ's right up there - but we're also worryingly shallow across the front three.