Loan Watch

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Loan Watch

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm
Nice finish.
No controlling touch either. Lovely finish.
I'm pleased for the fella, and his shrink will be delighted.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Nice finish.
Absolutely. As I've mentioned a good few times before, I for one am truly loathe for the club to give up on this lad. There's a very good footballer in there, as we saw prior to his injury.

I really hope he can turn it around and that finishing like that plays a part in restoring his self-belief.
May the bridges I burn light your way

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:37 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 pm
Out of interest, is there an accepted understanding as to what standard the Norwegian second tier is?

Or, for example, what it's English equivalent might be?

My impression from having watched a few highlights is that it's at best probably National League level.

Reiss Greenidge made 19 appearances in the Norwegian third tier before we signed him and obviously impressed enough for us to take a punt so make of that what you will. He also played 13 games for Sogndal in 2017 when they were in Norway's top division (!), which leads me to believe the standard can't be that good once you get past the Rosenborgs and the Moldes of Norwegian football.

Anyway Darcy seems to have done okay in his 2nd half cameo last night based off some Sogndal fans' FB comments:

IMG_5758.jpg
IMG_5758.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_5757.jpg
IMG_5757.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:51 pm

These people eat Rakfisk, willingly. Caution advised. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:23 pm
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Nice finish.
Absolutely. As I've mentioned a good few times before, I for one am truly loathe for the club to give up on this lad. There's a very good footballer in there, as we saw prior to his injury.

I really hope he can turn it around and that finishing like that plays a part in restoring his self-belief.
Given he's not been too complimentary about us, I think that little ginger ship has well and truly sailed. Good luck to him, but he won't play for us again.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Some highlights of Darcy's second half outing from last night. Hopefully he'll get 90 mins on Saturday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 am

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:12 pm
Some highlights of Darcy's second half outing from last night. Hopefully he'll get 90 mins on Saturday.

Honestly think he's a real player. His issue is where does he play? He's probably not got the pace or directness for a wide player, certainly not in IE's system. And obviously if he's a contender for the number 10 he needs to up his goals and end product.

But I do think technically he's one of the best we've produced - you can see it all in these clips. Close control, awareness of what's around him. Its just how do you fit him in and where. For me he'd be an outstanding centre midfield player if he bulked up slightly and learned the all round nature of that role. He's better than Connell IMHO.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 am
brommers95 wrote:

Honestly think he's a real player. His issue is where does he play? He's probably not got the pace or directness for a wide player, certainly not in IE's system. And obviously if he's a contender for the number 10 he needs to up his goals and end product.

But I do think technically he's one of the best we've produced - you can see it all in these clips. Close control, awareness of what's around him. Its just how do you fit him in and where. For me he'd be an outstanding centre midfield player if he bulked up slightly and learned the all round nature of that role. He's better than Connell IMHO.
Those clips are missing some long range passing and attempted through balls. Looks like he's got close control down and the sideways passing ala Gary Speed, but the difference between him and Connell would be those long range balls from the looks of it. It doesn't seem like he was progressing the play up the field and making them more attacking. It did however, look like he was doing a good job at retaining possession so someone else could.

Comley had the problem of receiving the ball with his back to the opposition goal and only being able to play it backwards or sideways. I'm seeing glimpses of that with Darcy on those clips.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:06 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
brommers95 wrote:

Those clips are missing some long range passing and attempted through balls. Looks like he's got close control down and the sideways passing ala Gary Speed, but the difference between him and Connell would be those long range balls from the looks of it. It doesn't seem like he was progressing the play up the field and making them more attacking. It did however, look like he was doing a good job at retaining possession so someone else could.

Comley had the problem of receiving the ball with his back to the opposition goal and only being able to play it backwards or sideways. I'm seeing glimpses of that with Darcy on those clips.
In fairness to Darcy, he came on when Sogndal were already 1-0 down and from the few clips I’ve seen Åsane looked to have stuck 10 men behind the ball and defended for the majority of the second half (I don’t have access to the full game though so could be wrong).

These were also his first competitive minutes since Walsall away on the 12th December - I’m sure once he gets up to speed he’ll be more of an influence on games.

He’s certainly a lot better than Comley and would agree with Insane with regards to Darcy maybe being one of the best we’ve produced in terms of technical ability, his close control is exemplary.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
brommers95 wrote:

I mean without trying to read too much into a minute of clips in a game they were losing and his first football for a fair while…I suspect the issue is where he plays is relevant to some of what you are discussing.

Technically he’s brilliant but he’s not a dribbler or a Steven Gerrard. He’s a technical midfield player I guess in the same sort of style (obvious much lower level) of a Modric I guess. It’s how you’d fit that into our team in an effective way.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 pm

He isn't going to fit into our team because Evatt clearly doesn't rate him, contract or not. This is a shame but just how it goes I suppose.
This time last year we were absolute wank, and he got barely a sniff.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Ali Crawford starts for St Johnstone against Dundee in the Scottish Prem.

Ronan Darcy starts for Sogndal against FK Jerv in the Norwegian 1.divisjon. The game kicked off at 2pm UK time and Sogndal are currently 1-0 up.

Dennis Politic is on the bench for Port Vale against Leyton Orient.

Adam Senior starts for Ashton United against Warrington Town in the Northern Premier League (Premier Division)

Jay Fitzmartin starts for Stalybridge Celtic against Stafford Rangers also in the Northern Premier League (Premier Division)

Matty Alexander starts for Lancaster City against Gainsborough Trinity again in the Northern Premier (Premier Division)

Luke Hutchinson (Atherton Collieries) and Reiss Greenidge (Barnet) aren't in their respective teams' matchday squads .

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Politics scored a last minute equaliser on his debut

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:47 pm
Politics scored a last minute equaliser on his debut

Followed by a last last minute winner by some other bloke!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Tidy finish that was from our Dennis. As long as he fully recovers from his injury I think he’ll end up having a very good EFL career.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 pm

Just a little bump for this thread - Luke Hutchinson on loan at Atherton Collieries pulled off a couple of top saves against Bamber Bridge on Tuesday to help Collieries to a 2-1 win.
He was at fault for Bamber Bridge’s goal in the 89th minute. Coming off his line for a ball from a free-kick that he was nowhere near to claiming, which meant he was in a poor position and unable to make the save.

He’s only 19 though so plenty of development time for him, he certainly looks to have great reflexes and athleticism.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Politic scored a lovely individual goal for Port Vale today. His second goal in as many appearances.

I'd post a video of it here if I could get to grips with embedding tweets.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:26 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:11 pm
Politic scored a lovely individual goal for Port Vale today. His second goal in as many appearances.

Tweet button puts in the gubbins. Paste the tweet URL in - delete the question mark and anything after it.

Or just paste the URL in here and I’ll do it for ya

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:26 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Tweet button puts in the gubbins. Paste the tweet URL in - delete the question mark and anything after it.

Or just paste the URL in here and I’ll do it for ya

Ah, that's it. I knew I had to delete something but couldn't work out what.

Anyway, here's the goal:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Glad to have helped. And good on Dennis, even if he won’t always have defending like that to take advantage of…