Loan Watch

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Loan Watch

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:09 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:18 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:11 am
Evatt confirms Politic has "politely declined" our contract offer and no further talks have yet taken place.
Regardless of what goes on with Dennis that will now be a well the moaners go back to forever.

My friend's cousin was talking about him the other day and it was like listening to someone describe Rivaldo in his pomp.
Nowt new there Ghost. It's part and parcel. Andranik is still better than Rivaldo, now...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:14 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:09 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Evatt confirms Politic has "politely declined" our contract offer and no further talks have yet taken place.
Regardless of what goes on with Dennis that will now be a well the moaners go back to forever.

My friend's cousin was talking about him the other day and it was like listening to someone describe Rivaldo in his pomp.
Nowt new there Ghost. It's part and parcel. Andranik is still better than Rivaldo, now...
Can we bring back Blessing Kaku?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:22 am

The name alone, is a guarantee of excellence...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:31 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:22 am
The name alone, is a guarantee of excellence...
He's somewhere between Okocha and Fadiga. I can't understand why the manager isn't playing him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:

You probably class me as a moaner but I don't think Politic is all that and its definitely the youth who saw him do a trick once....

He's not going to be the saviour and if he's turned down the offer I'd be saying buhbye.....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am
You probably class me as a moaner
Not really. I think we have very different views on some aspects of the game, but I have no issue with that.

Politic has loads of ability, but I don't think he's so good we should move heaven and earth to keep him. If he was at that level he'd have started against Bradford, or at least got off the bench.

The fact the Vale manager doesn't trust him for big games yet says a lot about where he is. Clear talent, but a long way to go.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:43 am

To show the mindset, though...I mentioned that Dennis wasn't starting big games for Vale. I was told that's because he's so good that Vale want to try and convinced Bolton not to up their contract offer so Vale can sign him on a free.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:40 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am
You probably class me as a moaner
Not really. I think we have very different views on some aspects of the game, but I have no issue with that.

Politic has loads of ability, but I don't think he's so good we should move heaven and earth to keep him. If he was at that level he'd have started against Bradford, or at least got off the bench.

The fact the Vale manager doesn't trust him for big games yet says a lot about where he is. Clear talent, but a long way to go.
Indeed. If he's good enough to improve us he'd be a consistent starter there and a top performer. I think he has talent but I question whether he has the right attitude to apply it alongside the requisite workrate.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 am
Indeed. If he's good enough to improve us he'd be a consistent starter there and a top performer. I think he has talent but I question whether he has the right attitude to apply it alongside the requisite workrate.
You can only really say that about a player if you see them training regularly or they've got a fair whack of football under their belt.

If Evatt rates him as as talented as Dapo, for example, we will do what we can to keep him.

If he's received a contract offer which is like Thomason's*, where we've basically said "here's an extension, earn a proper contract" then he will have to seriously turn it on on loan to get better terms from us.

*Before his new one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 am

I think there's one absolute certainty. Regardless of what I (or any fan) think. Evatt will have is own view, which is almost certainly closer to what he's trying to achieve than mine. Given it's his job on the line if stuff doesn't work out, got to be his call, but reserve the right to whip him with a large stick if Politic is in Liverpool's starting line up, next season. Luca Connell is currently playing in the Scottish third tier....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:39 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:03 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:56 am
You can only really say that about a player if you see them training regularly or they've got a fair whack of football under their belt.

If Evatt rates him as as talented as Dapo, for example, we will do what we can to keep him.

If he's received a contract offer which is like Thomason's*, where we've basically said "here's an extension, earn a proper contract" then he will have to seriously turn it on on loan to get better terms from us.

*Before his new one.
Evatt has already in public raised some fairly strong concerns about Politic's workrate. So I'd say I'd base those comments off my own observations and those from IE himself.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:42 am

It's interesting because I think Dennis could improve our squad (as is), but currently only as an impact sub – someone who'll try something different, and perhaps profit from tiring defenders.

Might not just be me that thinks that, either, 'cos Darrell Clarke hasn't given him the full 90 in any game outside the Sherpa Sh!tshow. In fact, of his seven appearances in real competitions, only three have been for longer than 45 minutes. As Ghost notes, for Saturday's game at home to mid-table Bradford he was back on the bench - and stayed there.

I went on at length here precisely a week ago about Politic's Potteries appearances. Several of the comments about him mention his talent; some have mentioned his workrate, which is promising, but they also mention that he "tired" or "faded". Evatt will be watching. And while I think he'd improve us now, would he still improve us in February?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:39 am
Evatt has already in public raised some fairly strong concerns about Politic's workrate. So I'd say I'd base those comments off my own observations and those from IE himself.
A fairly common thing for a manager to say about a young attacker and I think it was specifically his defensive work and not his work rate that was targeted.

Certainly he's a bright, active player going forward and as DSB notes the Vale supporters view him as a hard working young forward.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 pm

I must say whenever I’ve watched Politic’s games for Vale on iFollow he isn’t a player that comes across as lazy. He’s a willing participant in Vale’s pressing game and he’s made a fair number of tackles in his limited minutes (or attempted tackles at least).

I think with Dennis though, as is typical with a young player, it’s more a case of learning when to press and correct angles to take etc.

His decision making in the final third could also use some work, often opting to shoot rather than play in a teammate - I don’t think he would have the freedom to shoot as often as he would like in this Wanderers side.

Anyway sounds like he’s not coming back. We’ve offered him what we feel he’s worth. He and/or his agent feel he’s worth more (or he wants to be a guaranteed starter somewhere). If that’s the case, good luck to him. He’s a talented payer with the ball at his feet no doubting that, but there’s certainly no point breaking the bank for him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 pm

I wouldn't be sure he's not coming back. But it might be on our terms. He doesn't have to sign a contract to do that - we might want him in-house to monitor his development and see if he's worth renegotiating with. But if what he wants is guaranteed starts, then it seems he might have to set his sights lower than Port Vale.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:04 pm

There's a new post-covid reality for all teams, but we also have a post-crisis reality to deal with.

Contracts are not to be had for the wanting, they're earnt. If you look at Baka, Kachunga and Sheehan you're talking League One promotion, former Prem player and League One's best midfielder - they got two year deals.

Lads who had shown it in a Bolton shirt got like John and Dapo got three. 4 players who have demonstrated improvement just got better, longer deals - our captain wasn't getting anything new.

If Politic wants a proper contract he'll have to show a lot more than he is right now. He'll have to at least be starting every week for Vale.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:45 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:39 am
A fairly common thing for a manager to say about a young attacker and I think it was specifically his defensive work and not his work rate that was targeted.

Certainly he's a bright, active player going forward and as DSB notes the Vale supporters view him as a hard working young forward.
I think he said something like (paraphrasing) "he needs to improve the defensive side of things" which you could take either way but I also remember another interview Evatt gave where he explained that because of his injury he'd missed all the tactical stuff and would have to play catch up. I'm far from convinced there's anything the to say it's about work rate.

It looks to be like we've offered him basically an extra year of youth terms, and he thinks he can get better either from us or elsewhere. No problem with that. He's got 6 months or so to back it up.

*If* he can kick on for Vale (and worth remembering these are his first competitive games in about 18 months after a horror injury, he could improve very quickly) I think we'll see him back in Jan and he might get the deal he wants. If he doesn't come back I'd be very surprised if we budged.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:23 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:42 pm
I'd give him a go. No shame if he's not ready. But Lloyd in front of him helping out ffs, not Baka
Larry Lloyd? Hasn't he retired? And a 'Baka' apparently, is a member of a nomadic Pygmy people inhabiting the rainforests of south-eastern Cameroon and northern Gabon. Probably shit at footy!
Only just seen this.
Lloyd is a close personal friend of mine Brucie-babes. As is Baka. He told me to call him that when we met down Morley spoons. So there.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:34 pm

Darcy’s Sogndal were knocked out in the first round of the Norwegian First Division playoffs - I guess that means he’ll now be coming back to Blighty. Not sure when/if he can play soon but one to keep an eye on - I’m sure we’ll hear something this week/early next week.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:59 am

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Darcy’s Sogndal were knocked out in the first round of the Norwegian First Division playoffs - I guess that means he’ll now be coming back to Blighty. Not sure when/if he can play soon but one to keep an eye on - I’m sure we’ll hear something this week/early next week.
We can't get them all back fast enough. Literally.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ndal-loan/

• Darcy can come home now but can't play for the first team until January.
• Edwards and Senior recalled ASAP but their last games at their loanee clubs likely to be Sat 11 Dec, when we're playing Accy. So their first available game back for us would be Wycombe, Sat 18 Dec.
• Wanderers investigating whether we can force the Senior loan to end sooner, as his age means it may be classified as a youth work-ex loan, "but there has not yet been a firm answer either way."