Loan Watch

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Loan Watch

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:53 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:41 am
I don't see Politic as some kind of panacea who's going to magically fix all our problems, but if he continues to produce for Vale over the next few months I think we should at least bring him back in Jan and give him a shot. That is of course assuming we are able to do so, but I'm pretty sure Iles confirmed we have a recall option.

Maybe he won't sign a new contract anyway, but if we leave him out on loan and he keeps doing well then it's very likely he signs somewhere else in the summer, and we get nowt for developing him. Bring him back for the second half of the season and we give him the chance to show he's good enough for League One, and if he sees he's being given opportunities at Bolton then there's a greater chance he signs a new deal.

If he's left at Vale then our hierarchy are essentially confirming that they don't think he's good enough and are showing him the door.
Not that clear cut. Maybe he's not Evatt's sort of personality? Maybe they've fallen out.

There is something weird going on with Politic. Out on loan Ronan signed a new deal straight away. Politic hasn't. So either he doesn't fancy life here under Evatt or he thinks he's worth more. Because ultimately the club offered him a deal.
The contract offer probably wasn't especially lucrative, so perhaps he's rolling the dice on some good performances this season driving his value up? Probably a smart move if he's not worried about getting injured again.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
I don't see Politic as some kind of panacea who's going to magically fix all our problems, but if he continues to produce for Vale over the next few months I think we should at least bring him back in Jan and give him a shot. That is of course assuming we are able to do so, but I'm pretty sure Iles confirmed we have a recall option.

Maybe he won't sign a new contract anyway, but if we leave him out on loan and he keeps doing well then it's very likely he signs somewhere else in the summer, and we get nowt for developing him. Bring him back for the second half of the season and we give him the chance to show he's good enough for League One, and if he sees he's being given opportunities at Bolton then there's a greater chance he signs a new deal.

If he's left at Vale then our hierarchy are essentially confirming that they don't think he's good enough and are showing him the door.
Not that clear cut. Maybe he's not Evatt's sort of personality? Maybe they've fallen out.

There is something weird going on with Politic. Out on loan Ronan signed a new deal straight away. Politic hasn't. So either he doesn't fancy life here under Evatt or he thinks he's worth more. Because ultimately the club offered him a deal.
We've had the hidden gem in the rezzies scenario for years. Always better than the blokes playing. Andranik was a world beater, who played once for Fulham when he left. When it comes down to it, I suspect most managers have the ability to spot a player with class and ability two Divisions higher. And they'd probably be stupid to ignore it.

When you look at players like Walters and Basham, they both went on fairly lengthy journeys but at the time we unloaded them, they almost certainly weren't in the top XI of starters and I think they both dropped a couple of Divisions.

We don't know why Evatt has sent Politic on loan, nor why he's not signed a new contract, but manager has to be able to make decisions on what they're seeing day in. Not too many we've not sold that have made an instant impact at the same level or higher, that I can recall.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:49 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

We've had the hidden gem in the rezzies scenario for years. Always better than the blokes playing. Andranik was a world beater, who played once for Fulham when he left. When it comes down to it, I suspect most managers have the ability to spot a player with class and ability two Divisions higher. And they'd probably be stupid to ignore it.

When you look at players like Walters and Basham, they both went on fairly lengthy journeys but at the time we unloaded them, they almost certainly weren't in the top XI of starters and I think they both dropped a couple of Divisions.

We don't know why Evatt has sent Politic on loan, nor why he's not signed a new contract, but manager has to be able to make decisions on what they're seeing day in. Not too many we've not sold that have made an instant impact at the same level or higher, that I can recall.
Completely agree. I'm in the fairly cautious camp on Politic and youngsters in general. He's doing well in L2 but we just saw our team who are struggling in L1 big time right now thump a L2 side 3-0 at a canter. So yeah there is a big gap. And a player of Politic's type might find the gap large than say a big robust defender who relies on different skills. The speed and physicality of the game might hurt Politic more than other sorts of players. But regardless its clear someone at the club rates him enough to offer him a new deal. Unless that was a token gesture (and I don't believe our owners are into that sort of game) he hasn't signed it for a reason.

Like you I can't think of many players we didn't give a chance to who went on to be superstars - perhaps the Swiss lad Megson deemed a bit lightweight, Dzemaili or whatever he was called is one. Even then with him, you could question whether he was suited for the physical demands of mid-lower premier league football.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:23 am

He's probably a lot more like Politic in that for him it was a big injury he was coming back from.

Nothing about the Politic situation strikes me as "odd" at all. They rate him, but he's just come back from a big injury. I suspect they think he's a promising young player but with question marks on fitness and if he could come back (at the time they offered it) and so that was reflected in the figure. He backs himself to be worth more than that and so hasn't signed it backing himself to play well at Port Vale and get a better offer here or elsewhere.

If he keeps performing as he is now I have no doubt he'll be back in Jan. He's hardly likely to add less than say Delf is.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:27 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:23 am
He's probably a lot more like Politic in that for him it was a big injury he was coming back from.

Nothing about the Politic situation strikes me as "odd" at all. They rate him, but he's just come back from a big injury. I suspect they think he's a promising young player but with question marks on fitness and if he could come back (at the time they offered it) and so that was reflected in the figure. He backs himself to be worth more than that and so hasn't signed it backing himself to play well at Port Vale and get a better offer here or elsewhere.

If he keeps performing as he is now I have no doubt he'll be back in Jan. He's hardly likely to add less than say Delf is.
Delf always puts a shift in and might not offer much on the ball but I guess can be thrown into a tough game and will protect the full back and work and has a bit of height for defending set pieces etc...

Whereas if Politic doesn't offer something going forwards I suspect you get a lot less from him the other way than Delf.

So its a question as to whether Politic adds enough to us going forwards - I think he would over Delf but its not as clear cut as you might suggest.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am

Given he’s already contracted with us it’s a fairly low risk option, no?

Also I’m not sure what relevance our past record of releasing players has, given that all our decision makers are now completely different.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:17 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am
Given he’s already contracted with us it’s a fairly low risk option, no?

Also I’m not sure what relevance our past record of releasing players has, given that all our decision makers are now completely different.
Well the process is fundamentally the same - whoever the participants are. Someone comes to a decision which players we keep, buy, sell, loan. Usually the Manager has been a big (if not all of) the decision on that and I think that's the case now. So it's all fairly moot what Joey Nobody on here or Twitter has to say.

If Evatt doesn't think Politic fits what he wants to do, at a price he's prepared to pay, then he'll move him on. As it always was.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 am

Yeah of course, I'm not suggesting Evatt is going to be influenced by my posts on here!

He does seem to be open to changing his opinions on players, though, so unless he fundamentally thinks Politic has a bad attitude or just doesn't fit in his system, then I'm sure he would be open to bringing him back in Jan if he continues in this vein for Vale.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am

Accidental long read. A few thoughts on Politic.

When Evatt arrived at Bolton, he was a back-three manager and we wondered how Dennis would fit into that. But Dennis started the first game (scored), came on in the second (scored) and came on in the third (injured). Those appearances may have been due to lack of numbers but Evatt seemed happy to play him.

During his injury, as a club we seemed very supportive and he seemed thankful. He also seemed keen to get back out there and repay us.

We also switched to a 4-2-3-1 (then a 4-3-3) which fairly unarguably suits his talents better ("fairly" unarguably because he could possibly play as a 10 in a 3-5-2, and has played various positions for back-three Vale, but you get the point).

This summer he missed the first few pre-season games but returned from injury (after 50 weeks) with 26 minutes off the bench in the second-last "first-team" game at Barrow. He also had the last four minutes in the final first-XI game against Blackburn, and started the final two "second XI" friendlies. He was not being ignored, but he was also clearly not first choice.

But back to the Barrow game, after which Evatt said:
He’s showed great maturity really because a lot of young players, that could send them over the edge really with that kind of injury. Initially he was very upset and rightly so, but after that, he’d focused his mind. Dennis is extremely driven for a young player. He’s very career-minded and career-focused. He looks after his body, he trains really hard in the gym, and he’s reaped the benefits of that now. He’s back fully fit with no real issues with that knee and that’s credit to the way he’s rehabilitated himself.

He has talent. He can do things that not many other people can, but the way the game is going, you have to be good out of possession. You have to be. You can’t carry your Gazzas anymore or people like that. Yeah there’s a part to play for them, but when we get to the big games and the top of League One which we want to be at, we can’t afford to have passengers out of possession.

Everyone has got to know their jobs and be drilled in those jobs and everyone’s got to trust that they’re able to do that job. Dennis needs to work on that side of the game, but as a footballer he takes your breath away at times. We’ve just got to work with him on the other part of it.
I've highlighted a few things there. In short, Evatt seems genuinely impressed by the fella, with the acknowledgement that he needs to improve his work off the ball – an Evatt mantra we now all recognise as all-inclusive and non-negotiable. We know that all Evatt players have to work, or the system doesn't. (Wags may here quip that it doesn't anyway, but again, you get the point.)

Then we offered him and Darcy contracts. One signed, the other didn't. Makes you think about that "driven", "career-minded" character. No blame if he is keeping his options open, but I can't see why people would carp about it - are we suppose to double our offer?

Politic in the Potteries

So off he goes to Vale, funnily enough playing a wingback formation. He's left unused on the bench for seven successive games in which Vale go W4 D2 L1 to tiptoe up to fourth. Then they host second-placed Orient (in what we might call the Clash of the Bolton Humiliators) and Orient go ahead in the 86th minute. Darrel Clarke gambles, brings on Dennis for the left wing-back, and within a minute his sub's scored; deep in injury time Jamie Bloody Proctor scores Vale's winner and all is joy.

Dennis plays the full 90 in the midweek 1-0 home win in the Sherpa Shitshow against Rochdale, but is back on the bench and unused for the next game – a see-sawing 4-3 loss at 5th-placed Sutton.

He's also on the bench for the next game, home to midtable Barrow, but when Vale are 1-0 down at half-time Clarke brings on Dennis for the injured top-scorer Proctor (stomach muscle; he's still out a month later) and waddaya know, he scores after six minutes and they end up winning 3-1.

Even so, he still doesn't start the midweek game, even though it's at second-bottom Mansfield. He's brought on after 58 minutes (at 1-0 up) as Clarke changes both his strikers... and it ends 1-1.

So that Saturday (19th-placed Colchester at home), Clarke switches to a 3-4-3 with our lad on the left and they win 3-0 to go second. The local press is breathless:
The on-loan Bolton winger lined up on the left of a front three, that also included Wilson and Devante Rodney, and looked unplayable in the first half as he repeatedly beat his man, or men, and set up the second goal by showing the composure to pick out Wilson.

He was unlucky not to score with a couple of long-range efforts, a goal being the least he deserved for his non-stop running and pressing.
The Stoke Sentinel gives him 7.5 (three players got higher): "What a way to make an impression. Unplayable at times and seemed to mesmerise the Colchester defence who kept giving him the ball. Having put so much into the first half, faded a bit before he was subbed after the break."

A week later it's a 4-1 win at 16th-placed Crawley (sounds familiar) but not as plain sailing as that sounds: again, they're 1-0 down at the oranges, despite the home side's 12th-minute red card (for Joel Lynch, the auld centre-back we trialed last spring). Again, a half-time rejig (two subs, to 4-4-2/4-2-4) plus some Evattesque advice from Clarke, relayed later by his assistant: "the gaffer’s words at half time were to stay calm, keep moving the ball, keep moving them and don’t let them try to get back into shape. If they do, then we have to play around them." Vale equalised but were still level when Dennis was also hoiked on 68 minutes, after which his mates scored three. Hmm. Stoke Sentinel: "Started on the left of a front three but drifting inside to find space. Began the game well, neat touches and skip to open up space but faded a little. 6.5/10."

Then we're up to last weekend, when Accrington Stanley visited in the FA Cup and were arse-plated 5-1. Again, not the personal triumph it might seem for Dennis, subbed at half-time with the score 1-0. Stoke Sentinel: "Given permission to play by his parent club Bolton and lined up on the left of the front three. Break [beat?] three men in a surge forward then showed the defensive side of his game by pressing to slide in and put the ball into touch as Accrington tried to build some momentum before the break. Subbed at half time as Darrell Clarke changed from a 3-4-3 to 3-5-2. 7/10"

And in midweek came the Sherpa Shitshow game against Liverpool's puking infants, who underperformed even by their own standards – their results since finally joining this charade have been 2-3, 1-1 (lost on pens), 2-5, 1-6, 2-3, 2-4, 0-4, 1-4 – in losing 5-0 at Vale Park. Presumably pushing the Qualified Player rules, Clarke made eight changes, but Dennis remained, up top, and played the full 90; he got an goal and an assist. Stoke Sentinel: "Busy performance either up front in a two or wide in a three. Took his goal well after setting up Lloyd for the opener. 7.5/10."

So what does all that mean? Well, there are promising signs. Much talk of hard work, harrying and pressing to go with the goals and assists. On the latter, output side, he's got 3 goals and 2 assists in 8 games totalling 436 minutes, which is an average time of 87 minutes per goal involvement; would that we had a few more players with that hit rate.

However, he's only averaging 54 minutes per appearance, which suggests he's still not totally fit (or trusted) enough for the full game. He has, though, started the last four in three different competitions, suggesting he's gaining the manager's trust.

In other words, after a slow start he's doing pretty much what we hoped he would: getting game time, getting goals, getting assists – and building up both his stamina and, crucially, inclination to use it. Personally I won't get too carried away by the goals and assists just yet - apart from that late sub strike against Orient, they've all come against mid-tablers, lower-thirders or battered toddlers – but I'm glad he's working on both sides of his game.

Could he do a job for us? Possibly. I'd like to see it. Truth be known I'd like to see it right now, given our paucity of attacking options. At his best he is a difficult opponent, a game-changer. I can envisage him coming off the bench onto the left wing, with Dapo moving to 10, and merry hell resulting, especially if we have Amaechi on the other side.

Whether we'll recall him, I don't know. Letting him play in the FA Cup could be seen as an indication of unwantedness but on balance is more likely IMO to just be a good decision for his development, as it proved: he got a half against third-tier opponents. I suspect Evatt might have loftier options in mind, but I also doubt he'd be close-minded to the possibility of bring him back. As with so much else, it depends what business we can do in January.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:12 pm

^^ To me that Evatt quote (I've not seen that before I don't think) is fairly revealing. I'd read it differently to you. He's essentially saying 'lots of talent, but no workrate' That's a fairly negative thing for a manager to say to a player in a public newspaper. So perhaps it underlines why DP hasn't signed on yet. Perhaps he feels IE has made his mind up in reality. Or maybe he doesn't fancy the work?

I don't know but I'd see that as a fairly damning statement on a player given the context it was delivered in. I agree with IE on it and that for me players worked well for KH in a terrible team where Crawford, Politic and Darcy at times were unburdened from the more grafting side of the game as we had little to lose and we also tended to sit back and hit teams more than press them.

Is Politic good enough to carry - Evatt doesn't think so and then you've got to ask if he's not yet got to the workrate needed - will he have the appetite to do that? I'd hope so. But majority probably do not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:19 pm

ISTR Evatt has said similar about a lot of players, including Dapo. I don't think Dennis is being singled out or bullied, unless being compared to Gazza is now against some HR law. Which I guess it might be.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:23 am
Depends on whether Evatt sees him as a forward or a #10 and how our transfer targets are progressing.

We know we have targets in January and we also know the forward areas already have 2 players per position.

If Sarce buggering off leaves a Politic-shaped hole in the squad that we haven't planned for then that would make a lot of sense. If we have plans to replace Sarce and bring in another striker then recalling Politic may harm his development and not actually add anything to the squad.

Sarce was going by the summer regardless, but it may not be possible to bring in any of his planned replacements In Jan. Amaechi may not be granted his loan extension. Delf may leave. Someone may, god forbid, buy Dapo. We could see another serious injury in the squad. Any of those could see a Politic recall.

On the other hand we could bring in a new Sarce, keep Ameachi, get the striker Evatt wants and not shift anyone on...at which point Politic is better off where he is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:19 pm
ISTR Evatt has said similar about a lot of players, including Dapo. I don't think Dennis is being singled out or bullied, unless being compared to Gazza is now against some HR law. Which I guess it might be.
Yeah not suggesting he's singling him out but for a youngster coming back after a serious injury its relatively stern in tone. The usual 'fantastic player just needs to learn the off the ball side' is pretty standard manager speak but the latter point is reinforced quite forcibly given the circumstances.

Its the sort of thing had Megson said it about a young talent there'd be pitchforks being readied and whatever. I agree with Evatt and how the player takes that will be very much up to their personality and if they are the right sort it would spur them on.

Its a weird mix where I think Evatt for all his brand talk and style talk is probably less prepared to put their arm round a special player and find a way to incorporate them into his system than Big Sam was. Not that Politic would necessarily warrant that at this stage but the days of more maverick style players do seem to be a thing of the past.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:06 pm
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:19 pm
Yeah not suggesting he's singling him out but for a youngster coming back after a serious injury its relatively stern in tone. The usual 'fantastic player just needs to learn the off the ball side' is pretty standard manager speak but the latter point is reinforced quite forcibly given the circumstances.
He needs to learn to weigh his words - almost literally given the amount of newsprint he generates. 'cos to me, as a journalist, it feels like sometimes he just warbles away on any given topic, and understandably my brothers and sisters in the fourth estate let him - they have pages and airtime to fill. Supplementary questions can generate even more verbiage, and then suddenly the minor caveat becomes the major story.

I don't doubt that Evatt has/had reservations about Dennis's out-of-possession work. I don't doubt that said reservations would have to be assuaged before the young fella gets regular minutes. But I don't think Evatt necessarily always sets out to bang a gong. He's clearly a talkative type but he needs to learn the difference between being quote-worthy, being loquacious and being garrulous. Because occasionally it clouds his own message.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:06 pm
Evatt for all his brand talk and style talk is probably less prepared to put their arm round a special player and find a way to incorporate them into his system than Big Sam was. Not that Politic would necessarily warrant that at this stage but the days of more maverick style players do seem to be a thing of the past.
He's changed systems and tactics a few times to suit players available, including freeing Santos of man-marking - not something I can imagine Allardyce doing. But yeah, he's an odd mix - as was Sam. He'd just let the attackers sort it out themselves and play with complete freedom - except of course never take a short corner or have a long shot, etc and so on.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 am
Yeah of course, I'm not suggesting Evatt is going to be influenced by my posts on here!

He does seem to be open to changing his opinions on players, though, so unless he fundamentally thinks Politic has a bad attitude or just doesn't fit in his system, then I'm sure he would be open to bringing him back in Jan if he continues in this vein for Vale.
As I understand it, if he thought Politic was part of the answer to where we currently are, he could recall him pretty much any-time at short notice...It might be that he thinks being at PV is better for us and Politic at the moment, than the difference he'd add to us, if he were recalled.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm
The_Gun wrote:

As I understand it, if he thought Politic was part of the answer to where we currently are, he could recall him pretty much any-time at short notice...It might be that he thinks being at PV is better for us and Politic at the moment, than the difference he'd add to us, if he were recalled.
Just in January. That's fairly standard these days for those long loans, and was made explicit in the BN: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... c-january/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Just in January. That's fairly standard these days for those long loans, and was made explicit in the BN: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... c-january/
Oh, I see...For some reason, I thought Luton bagged Kioso back from us in December, but having just looked at it again, it was actually January... :oops:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:16 pm
For some reason, I thought Luton bagged Kioso back from us in December, but having just looked at it again, it was actually January... :oops:
Don't feel too embarrassed chap - there was previously talk of Luton recalling him so it must have been in the parameters of that deal. But per BN, this one seems to be the other way.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:27 am

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... tone-loan/

Evatt would be happy to extend Crawford’s loan, thus effectively ending his stay.

“There’s an option for it to happen in January. I said at the time that the most important thing for Ali was to go up there and perform well, get himself playing regular football again, and he is doing that.

“He is enjoying his football again, getting in the team, so we will see what happens in January. But I would say there seems to be an appetite from both sides to make that happen.”

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:59 am

Good. I have time for Ali and I didn't expect any player to play for the shirt after what the mismanagement of the club put them through; but he obviously didn't want to be here. I'm glad he's rediscovered his love of the game up there and hope he gets a contract from them. Time to move on.