Loan Watch

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Loan Watch

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:59 am
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Darcy’s Sogndal were knocked out in the first round of the Norwegian First Division playoffs - I guess that means he’ll now be coming back to Blighty. Not sure when/if he can play soon but one to keep an eye on - I’m sure we’ll hear something this week/early next week.
We can't get them all back fast enough. Literally.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ndal-loan/

• Darcy can come home now but can't play for the first team until January.
• Edwards and Senior recalled ASAP but their last games at their loanee clubs likely to be Sat 11 Dec, when we're playing Accy. So their first available game back for us would be Wycombe, Sat 18 Dec.
• Wanderers investigating whether we can force the Senior loan to end sooner, as his age means it may be classified as a youth work-ex loan, "but there has not yet been a firm answer either way."
I wonder if Evatt's "But again he’s got to come back and earn it" quote, regarding Darcy, from a month ago still stands (post Sarce going, but likely before MJ and Sheehan injuries)....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm

I don’t think he’ll walk straight in, especially not in a 3-4-3. But if he trains well this month he may get a game early in January, assuming the cavalry don’t all arrive in the 1st. Probably not Rotherham on NYD - not unless the injury crisis has deepened - but maybe the Sherpa game the following midweek, or Cambridge at home Jan 8.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:26 pm

Looks like politics scored an equaliser and a winner off the bench today.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:26 pm
Looks like politics scored an equaliser and a winner off the bench today.
Cue Twitter yoof meltdown! 😁
"GIVE HIM WHATEVER HE WANTS!!!!"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Obviously we shouldn’t give him whatever he wants, but it’d be a kick in the bollocks if we lost him for nowt. Anyway, I think we should bring him back in Jan for sure.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 pm

For those interested in the goals he scored

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:43 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Obviously we shouldn’t give him whatever he wants, but it’d be a kick in the bollocks if we lost him for nowt. Anyway, I think we should bring him back in Jan for sure.
Completely agree, and if it doesn't work out I reckon he'll get back in at Vale.
Somewhere between 'Give him.what he wants' and 'feck him if he won't sign the contract' is the possibility that the contract offer could be rightly improved if he comes back fit and does well.
Whatever happens, it's great to see young player back and doing well after an awful injury.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:46 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:43 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Completely agree, and if it doesn't work out I reckon he'll get back in at Vale.
Somewhere between 'Give him.what he wants' and 'feck him if he won't sign the contract' is the possibility that the contract offer could be rightly improved if he comes back fit and does well.
Whatever happens, it's great to see young player back and doing well after an awful injury.
All of this is bob-on, for me.

I would add that if (and it’s an if) we hone the 3-4-3 that could combine Dapo and Xavi, Politic would IMO suit that system well as a sub. I’m intrigued to see if we recall him and I still think it might depend on whether we land other targets, but I’d like to see us get him back and see first-hand how good he is. Can’t help think if he doesn’t come back in January, he never will.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:23 am

The thing is he’s not a guaranteed starter in league two for PV. And wouldn’t be for us either. So a contract has to reflect that. If we could bring him back now we would. But January is when we can sign new blood too.

I think as ever people get bent out of shape with it. Would he be good off the bench? Yep. Is it worth paying over the odds for? No. He’s had an offer. The fact he’s not signed it perhaps reflects that he wants something else.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:51 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 pm
For those interested in the goals he scored
COMMENTATORS: Point of order. The correct pronunciation is Politich

Makes my piss boil etc. Grr.
May the bridges I burn light your way

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:23 am
The thing is he’s not a guaranteed starter in league two for PV. And wouldn’t be for us either. So a contract has to reflect that. If we could bring him back now we would. But January is when we can sign new blood too.

I think as ever people get bent out of shape with it. Would he be good off the bench? Yep. Is it worth paying over the odds for? No. He’s had an offer. The fact he’s not signed it perhaps reflects that he wants something else.
This is where I am also. I know we are desperate at the moment but I am not seeing how he improves us. He is certainly no Dapo, Xavi nor Kachunga. He is not as good as Isgrove at the moment who is unfortunately injured. Politic has potential given his age, but we need people who will make us better. He won't.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:50 pm

Another potential candidate for the "I wish I'd never left Bolton" trophy perhaps?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:23 am

This is where I am also. I know we are desperate at the moment but I am not seeing how he improves us. He is certainly no Dapo, Xavi nor Kachunga. He is not as good as Isgrove at the moment who is unfortunately injured. Politic has potential given his age, but we need people who will make us better. He won't.
Indeed. And I get the argument that he could still develop into a fantastic player as he's young. But he also might not.

But as it stands in January I'm expecting us to sign better players than Politic. Harsh as that may sound - I'd prefer him to have signed on, but he's not. And I think it sounds more likely we won't see him back than we will. But time will tell.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 am

Interesting perhaps that Ilesy has sloshed the cold water of personal opinion on the possibility Politic returning.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... e-january/

A thought from me. We won’t sign five on New Year’s Day. What we could do is bring him back to see what level he’s at (fitness, tactics, attitude); it’s also not like we’re drowning in options. But when our cavalry arrives he could return to Vale later in January, if that’s what he and they and we all want to do.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:43 am

Apparently Dennis had picked up another minor injury in recent weeks, so is still not at 100% fitness. The Vale fans seem desperate to sign him permanently, and they’re aiming to be a League One side next season.

When it comes to January we have to remember that it will cost us nothing to bring Politic back. In itself that’s not a good enough reason to recall him if we have significantly better options available, but right now I don’t think we do, although of course that’s a matter for debate.

My brief and relatively ill-informed opinions on whether our current forward players are better than DP:

Delfouneso - No. Unfortunately seems to be gone at the game, and I’d much rather have Politic.

Bakayoko - No, although I accept his physical presence can be useful for giving us a different dimension.

Kachunga - Yes. One of our best players in recent weeks and definitely starts over Politic.

Afolayan - Yes, obviously. Although I would say we might not be able to keep him beyond this season.

Amaechi - Probably yes, but we haven’t seen much of him and we’re currently set to lose him in January.

Isgrove - Overall yes, but he has very little end product (0 goals and 0 assists in the league this season) and I’d be fairly confident that Dennis would offer more in this regard even at League One level. Lloyd also turns 29 next month, so is unlikely to be getting any better, and will be returning from a couple of months out in Jan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 am
Interesting perhaps that Ilesy has sloshed the cold water of personal opinion on the possibility Politic returning.

A thought from me. We won’t sign five on New Year’s Day. What we could do is bring him back to see what level he’s at (fitness, tactics, attitude); it’s also not like we’re drowning in options. But when our cavalry arrives he could return to Vale later in January, if that’s what he and they and we all want to do.
If I was to read between the lines - he won't come back unless he signs the deal. And I rather think if he's not signed that deal by 1st January that's him done. Perhaps I'm wrong but just has that feel to it.

Evatt presumably will move on in January with recruitment and if DP isn't onboard then I rather suspect he will see his time out at PV.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 pm

As is often the case, there are two intertwined conversational topics here: what we (forum members, individually) would do and what is likely to happen, considering none of us is in charge.

I agree with BWFCi that it feels like Politic isn't quite Evatt's cup of tea, and I can see why. However, again, we are very far from overstaffed at junior level – it's not like we can let this one go because we have thousands of teenagers in reserve.

While working yesterday I edited a story about Derby potentially selling two highly-rated, U18 Premier League-winning youngsters, Max Bird (21) and Jason Knight (20), despite them being key players and contracted beyond summer – partly because they need the fees, but also because they have Louie Thompson (19) breaking through too. Obviously it's weird to feel a pang of jealousy for a club currently hurtling toward the wall, precisely the situation we've carefully extracted ourselves from, but I have to say we've done a fifth of f**k-all on the development front so far. I know these things take time, but (1) that's a reason to get cracking – what released kids did we pick up in summer? and (2) maybe let's not just give up on one of our best young assets just yet, eh?

For clarity - if Dennis is first-choice in February I'll be either hideously disappointed with our window or delighted that he's suddenly rocketed from fourth-tier substitute to third-tier starter. But there's a middle ground between that and hollering "Next!" - because the next cab off the rank might be years away.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 pm
As is often the case, there are two intertwined conversational topics here: what we (forum members, individually) would do and what is likely to happen, considering none of us is in charge.

I agree with BWFCi that it feels like Politic isn't quite Evatt's cup of tea, and I can see why. However, again, we are very far from overstaffed at junior level – it's not like we can let this one go because we have thousands of teenagers in reserve.

While working yesterday I edited a story about Derby potentially selling two highly-rated, U18 Premier League-winning youngsters, Max Bird (21) and Jason Knight (20), despite them being key players and contracted beyond summer – partly because they need the fees, but also because they have Louie Thompson (19) breaking through too. Obviously it's weird to feel a pang of jealousy for a club currently hurtling toward the wall, precisely the situation we've carefully extracted ourselves from, but I have to say we've done a fifth of f**k-all on the development front so far. I know these things take time, but (1) that's a reason to get cracking – what released kids did we pick up in summer? and (2) maybe let's not just give up on one of our best young assets just yet, eh?

For clarity - if Dennis is first-choice in February I'll be either hideously disappointed with our window or delighted that he's suddenly rocketed from fourth-tier substitute to third-tier starter. But there's a middle ground between that and hollering "Next!" - because the next cab off the rank might be years away.
Just picking up on what's been said - I'd just summise that Evatt isn't overly happy that DP hasn't signed. And I'm guessing January return is a no-go if he's not signed. Its not what I would do - just how I read the runes.

I suppose giving up or not depends on whether the club feel their offer was generous - if they do - its not in their hands.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am

If I was to read between the lines - he won't come back unless he signs the deal. And I rather think if he's not signed that deal by 1st January that's him done. Perhaps I'm wrong but just has that feel to it.

Evatt presumably will move on in January with recruitment and if DP isn't onboard then I rather suspect he will see his time out at PV.
We’re very much operating in the dark here, but if we work on the basis that the contract offer we put on the table this summer is, like Darcy’s, only for an additional year, and probably for very modest wages, I think Politic and his agent would now have a decent argument that we should up our offer.

I know he’s a division down, but in 11 appearances, most of which have been off the bench, he’s already put up 5 goals and 3 assists, which is superior to all our players bar Dapo. For a more appropriate comparison, Isgrove scored 4 and assisted 2 in 34 all competition appearances last season, whilst Dapo scored 1 and assisted 2 in 21 appearances for us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am

We’re very much operating in the dark here, but if we work on the basis that the contract offer we put on the table this summer is, like Darcy’s, only for an additional year, and probably for very modest wages, I think Politic and his agent would now have a decent argument that we should up our offer.

I know he’s a division down, but in 11 appearances, most of which have been off the bench, he’s already put up 5 goals and 3 assists, which is superior to all our players bar Dapo. For a more appropriate comparison, Isgrove scored 4 and assisted 2 in 34 all competition appearances last season, whilst Dapo scored 1 and assisted 2 in 21 appearances for us.
I mean he can't get in their side regularly. It is going to come down to judgement. And if the club feel they've made a good offer (at a time he wasn't fully fit) then I guess the might decide not to move from there.

Its a risk but I feel he wouldn't be a starter even now and in January I'd hope we sign better. So its about future potential. And Evatt doesn't seem mad keen. Down to whether you trust his judgement or not.