Up fer't Caraboa Cup. V. Wigan away 24-08 21. 19-45...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Up fer't Caraboa Cup. V. Wigan away 24-08 21. 19-45...

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 am

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle generationally. And Wigan are the anti-Bury. I know about the Bury rivalry but we only played them I think twice as equals in my living memory and any rivalry was pretty soon after trumped by sympathy.

Wigan (no auto-correct, not Wuhan) are not the ones I look to, in fact I have a blind spot for them on the Sporcle/FFT quizzes where I always forget they exist. But it's growing, it's bigger in the younger generations and there's something to be said for exclusivity. We have lots of local rivals but, we're no-one else's main one.

I'll broadly in favour of it growing. But I'm from the Wigan side of town, and have no real worries they'll ever realistically over take us. It's a smaller town, and it doesn't really have any football heritage. All the mill towns are fighting the Premier League vacuum, but they don't have the generations of it in the family to hold on to much of a core. A minority of the RL fans, but not a tiny one also resent the football club.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 am
I guess I'm somewhere in the middle generationally. And Wigan are the anti-Bury. I know about the Bury rivalry but we only played them I think twice as equals in my living memory and any rivalry was pretty soon after trumped by sympathy.
Interesting on generations. As I say in my first decade Wigan were the noisy neighbours who beat us more often than should have happened in The Natural Order Of Things. Bury did too but at least our rivalry went back decades and decades.

I guess for many members of a generation above me, Wigan are still and will ever be a minor irritant.

Truth be told, and trying to be as logical (rather than emotional) as possible, I'd say that our most "similar" neighbours are probably Blackburn, but that one never seems to matter as much to most people. Guess it doesn't help that they have their own ferocious rivalry with Burnley. Indeed our rivalries are all somewhat imbalanced in terms of history: if Non-League Wigan are indeed irrelevant to us, and we tried to affect the same haughty superiority with Bury, imagine how insignificant we are to United.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:49 am

Is this another we can't watch on iFollow in the UK? If so, will a vpn do the trick?

Edit: Seemingly not available anywhere.
Last edited by The_Gun on Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:53 am

So we should scorn it, Barnetto, in Sheffield Wednesday fans. :-) No point giving me the team talk, I'm not playing. If you want to consider a novelty Subbuteo team as some sorta rivals, I'm fine with that. Honestly :-)

But as with Tranmere, I'm not any more gutted if we lost to Port Vale. In my defence, I did suggest Evatt should be sacked if he lost to fckin Salford last season. They're tin pot, too.

It wasn't the dark ages when Utd and City pulled ahead on head to head matches v us on wins it was the noughties (and yes, I know when you were growing up we didn't play them too much).

Whose responsible for making up the rules on how far you can go back? Coz I missed the memo, so I suspect we all pick our own.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:53 am
So we should scorn it, Barnetto, in Sheffield Wednesday fans. :-) No point giving me the team talk, I'm not playing. If you want to consider a novelty Subbuteo team as some sorta rivals, I'm fine with that. Honestly :-)
For clarity, I think there's plenty to laugh at Wigan about, and I dearly wish they weren't at our level or thereabouts. As it goes, as a fan I'm not a big one for derbies, I find the emotional risk greater than the reward, and I'm sure Twitter will be a hellhole either way tonight, but I simply shan't look. :D
Worthy4England wrote:
But as with Tranmere, I'm not any more gutted if we lost to Port Vale. In my defence, I did suggest Evatt should be sacked if he lost to fckin Salford last season. They're tin pot, too.
Presumably the hypothetical loss to Salford would matter because they're tin-pot, but in that case why would it matter any more than if we'd lost to, say, Stevenage? The answer is presumably to do with (your) locality, which is why Wigan and Bolton will bump up against one another.

And Tranmere will always matter more to me than Port Vale, because of that 90s rivalry. Same as discussed before, I guess: what we take on board in early life sticks with us. So f--k those guys too :mrgreen:
Worthy4England wrote:
It wasn't the dark ages when Utd and City pulled ahead on head to head matches v us on wins it was the noughties (and yes, I know when you were growing up we didn't play them too much).
There's such a thing as recency bias, and such a thing as too little of it. Are you saying that if we'd beaten them every game from 1890 to 1950 but then lost every game from 1950 to 2010, we'd be somehow level? Not sure on that. A bit like saying the UK is still more important than the US because our empire lasted longer than their global pre-eminence.
Worthy4England wrote:
Whose responsible for making up the rules on how far you can go back? Coz I missed the memo, so I suspect we all pick our own.
We do indeed, and it's one of the things that makes football discussions so interesting. Personally, I'd say as a thumb-rule that anything which happened before any of tonight's players were born is pretty much irrelevant; I'm aware that such a rule eats into my own historical fandom, but here we are.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:21 pm

No sense of history, some folks. :-) Fortunately most of them will be from Wigan....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:07 pm

I’d say our 90s rivalries with Wolves and Trampmere meant more than this Wigan thing. It’s an age thing but also a I’ve never cared about Wigan and won’t now.

I’m with Worthy in that I wouldn’t care any more or less about being beat tonight than I would have if Barnsley beat us last time round. Don’t care about the nonsense on social media or oneupmanship. Tonight is irrelevant by Thursday and whoever wins would swap that for finishing higher in the league.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:33 pm

We've never had a direct rival, who were close geographically, in terms of stature and who didnt already hate somebody else more.

Utd as rivals is as laughable as Bury. Blackburn would be ideal but have the whole Burnley thing going on. In the absence of anyone else close by with some standing in the game, Wigan will have to do. My previous experiences in the town and with the residents, has been largely negative so i really hope we turn them over tonight but also in the league, in the papa johns, pre season friendlies and at any other sport too.

Josh Sheehan to play the Jeff Chandler 1983 role with a headed winner at the far post, in front of a packed away end and a sparsely populated home end. 《Prays》
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:07 pm

I’m with Worthy in that I wouldn’t care any more or less about being beat tonight
I would. I had a shop in Wigan for a couple of years back in time. Strange, strange people. I care about losing to anybody,especially Wigan and Tranmere. Okay, league before cup always, but a supporter is a supporter, sine die. COME ON YOU WHITES.. :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:55 pm

I think we'll lose tonight. McClean to score, or be involved in a pivotal moment.

It just has that feel.

Unrelated to tonight's match but in the absence of an appropriate thread, it seems like Josh Sheehan has missed out on selection for the Welsh national team, meaning he'll be available for the Burton Albion match.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:21 pm

I see that Sharron's released a statement asking our numpties to behave themselves. I do hope that it's just a general request and isn't linked to anything by way of more solid information, but furthermore I just hope that they respect her wishes. .
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:49 am
Is this another we can't watch on iFollow in the UK? If so, will a vpn do the trick?

Only radio commentary, either FM or on Ifollow.

I'm sure the goals if any will be shown on Sky Sports News.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:21 pm
I see that Sharron's released a statement asking our numpties to behave themselves. I do hope that it's just a general request and isn't linked to anything by way of more solid information, but furthermore I just hope that they respect her wishes.
Yeah there does seem to be a lot of "noise" about. I'm not ITK, either at boardroom or knobhead level, but Evatt seems to have multiply mentioned our fans should go about the rivalry in the right way. Maybe they got a bit spooked by the MU-Leeds knuckle-draggers. Guess we should be glad they're being proactive - wouldn't surprise me if there's a determined effort under this ownership to root out wrong'uns. I suspect they foresee a future that's more "families on the concourse" than "fireworks in the arse-crack", and I for one applaud our new overlords.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm
The_Gun wrote:

So annoying.

I kind of understand the rationale for not showing it in the UK, but why they wouldn't allow people outside the country to watch is beyond me.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:54 am
We're 13th in the all time Division One table, having played 2,400 more games than them in it. A lot of that is long time past memories. But they're part of what we are.

I did a lot of scrolling to get to Wigan.
Are you sure you didn't just have the table in alphabetical order?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Probably a good move by Sharon. Our last visit there was one of the most toxic atmospheres I've ever encountered watching Bolton. Undoubtedly, there's a much greater connect now, than there was then, between owners, manager, players and fans but we've still a sizeable minority of bell ends who follow us home and away.

Hopefully no nonsense tonight, best team wins (us, obvs) and our supporters support, as opposed to hurling insults at their fans. However much they might deserve it being Wiganers :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:51 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm
DJBlu wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

So annoying.

I kind of understand the rationale for not showing it in the UK, but why they wouldn't allow people outside the country to watch is beyond me.
I think outside UK is still video.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:51 pm
The_Gun wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

So annoying.

Seems it's not? WTF! Is it on sky or something?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:56 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:51 pm
The_Gun wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

So annoying.

Seems it's not? WTF! Is it on sky or something?
Nope, it's not on anywhere either here or internationally as far as I can tell.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:51 pm

What goes around may still come around