Up fer't Caraboa Cup. V. Wigan away 24-08 21. 19-45...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Up fer't Caraboa Cup. V. Wigan away 24-08 21. 19-45...

Post by DJBlu » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:28 pm

I'm hearing Wigan fans invaded the pitch? Deary me that's sad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:30 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:28 pm
I'm hearing Wigan fans invaded the pitch? Deary me that's sad.
All ten of them eh? And this is what I mean. To them this is one of their biggest games in their clubs history. For Bolton it’s not even the biggest one this week. They just aren’t in the same stratosphere and they know it. It’s why they try so hard to create a rivalry.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 pm

Take the conjecture out, he’s lost form since midway through last season. But right now we aren’t in a position to lose him as even with him in the squad we are light in these areas due to injury. So being realistic he will be here this season. The best thing is to help build his confidence to recapture his old form.
I've nothing against Delf and wish him well whether he stays or leaves. However I think given how impressive our recent recruitment has been, we have a far greater chance of bringing someone decent in who will make an impact than we have of rebuilding his Bolton career.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Take the conjecture out, he’s lost form since midway through last season. But right now we aren’t in a position to lose him as even with him in the squad we are light in these areas due to injury. So being realistic he will be here this season. The best thing is to help build his confidence to recapture his old form.
I've nothing against Delf and wish him well whether he stays or leaves. However I think given how impressive our recent recruitment has been, we have a far greater chance of bringing someone decent in who will make an impact than we have of rebuilding his Bolton career.
Maybe but we need one if he stays and two if he goes. I’d say unlikely tbh. But you never know.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:59 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Anyone can miss a penalty that’s true but Delfouneso shouldn’t have been anywhere near the team tonight in my opinion let alone taking a penalty. As a striker (reputedly) I suppose it should fall to him but his inept performances over the last 6 months or so should have ruled him out. It obviously didn’t but hopefully this will and if going out tonight is the price we pay for his exit, then so be it. Get rid before the window ends and replace him with someone who can contribute.
Hmmm..and what about Lee? If he had scored Delf would have not been exposed? Come on guys, not losing any sleep over this competition and no need to be unkind to our players. Delf can still recover his form. How did Gilks, Brocky, Thomasson, Gordon, Lee, Delf and Kachunga do in open play ? Are they close to being starters now? Would love to hear from people who saw the game,

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:09 pm

Well that was disappointing. Pretty even first half, id say they shaded the 2nd with us only looking a threat once Doyle, Sarc & Jones came on.

Motm for me was Lee but you knew, given his previous, that he'd miss his penalty. Delfs miss capped a poor performance.

Wigan remind me of John King's Tranmere. Overly physical, cynical, surrounding the ref, kicking the ball away etc. The treatment dished out to Afolayan in the first half was bordering on criminal, which a much earlier booking may have prevented.

Hopefully no major knocks and we get back on track at Cambridge this Saturday.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:26 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:59 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:
Anyone can miss a penalty that’s true but Delfouneso shouldn’t have been anywhere near the team tonight in my opinion let alone taking a penalty. As a striker (reputedly) I suppose it should fall to him but his inept performances over the last 6 months or so should have ruled him out. It obviously didn’t but hopefully this will and if going out tonight is the price we pay for his exit, then so be it. Get rid before the window ends and replace him with someone who can contribute.
Hmmm..and what about Lee? If he had scored Delf would have not been exposed? Come on guys, not losing any sleep over this competition and no need to be unkind to our players. Delf can still recover his form. How did Gilks, Brocky, Thomasson, Gordon, Lee, Delf and Kachunga do in open play ? Are they close to being starters now? Would love to hear from people who saw the game,
I think when Lee stepped up 95% of us thought that there was no chance it was going in. I believe Delf feeds on feeling wanted, the main man, maybe if had taken Lee's place to put us 4-3 up then we might not be having this discussion.

Can't forget the lad helped us to promotion last season. Don't want to write him off as I just think it's in his head and his confidence is low. Must be difficult falling down the pecking order later in your career.

As Insano says, we win together and lose together.

You never know, it might be the jolt up the arse he needed.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:19 pm
Mar wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:10 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:53 pm
That last penalty is abysmal. Just sums him up of late, all the confidence in his ability then balloons it.
I won't lose any sleep losing on pens in a nothing cup competition & it was a nothing game.
Not sure where this whole 'nothing cup competition' comes from. I'd love to win this cup and i'd love to win the football league trophy. Yes this wasn't a final, but we're not going to do better in these tournaments by treating them with disdain.
We didn’t treat it with disdain but the fact is we aren’t winning this. Another round against a big club would have been nice but also brings potential issues with injuries etc. So it’s not a disaster. I’d certainly far rather have lost tonight if we win Saturday.
The club didn't treat it with disdain but Berties comments seem to be treating it with disdain.

We're not likely to win it but a good fixture against a top teams likely to be a good revenue stream for the club. Not only that but our first team has somewhat of a scrappy dogged determination going that would make me think we'd have a chance of a bigger scalp than Barnsley.

I suspect having Bakayoko fit today would've made a telling difference today.

Regarding Delfouneso. I think he's probably close to fighting for a spot. More so than the likes of Crawford and Comley. Can't see him turning it around to be honest but would prefer to be proven wrong

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:39 am

Still tin pot.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:06 am

Delf apologises.

Per Iles’ ratings, looks like Lee is the only “replacement” who really seized his chance… but if course he didn’t from the spot.

Disappointed but not distraught. I do worry about Delf but Evatt is clearly not the type to push people out so I suspect he’s here for the duration.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:28 am

I'm more disappointed not to be in the draw for the next round than because we lost to Wigan. Anyway, hopefully they draw a boring Championship side and get eliminated in round three.

Having only read Iles' live text I'm not well positioned to comment on the performance, but it does sound like a few of our back-ups struggled a bit, and I do feel that we need a few more in if we're going to challenge for playoffs. A couple of days left before the transfer window shuts, so hopefully time for Markham and Evatt to work their magic.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:10 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:59 pm
Whitesince63 wrote:

Sorry cee bee but I don’t think Fonz has any form to recover, he’s been bad for over half a season, rarely gets into a game when he comes on and looks uninterested much of the time. He’s the epitome of a player with all the attributes and ability except the most important one. Attitude. I’m afraid it’s time to part company. For the money he’s probably on, I can’t believe there isn’t someone much better we can find. In fact I would argue that both Politic and Ronan would offer more to the team yet IE has farmed them out. Time for Fonz to go I’m afraid.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 am

Friend who went said the we should be very scared if Jones and MJ are ever out. Sounds like we struggled without them. MJ I expected. Jones less so. Verdict on Brockbank was not glowing. But it’s one game. And his first of the season. I do struggle to see him doing the job Jones does though. Gordon can do an inferior version of DJ I guess.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 am
Friend who went said the we should be very scared if Jones and MJ are ever out. Sounds like we struggled without them. MJ I expected. Jones less so. Verdict on Brockbank was not glowing. But it’s one game. And his first of the season. I do struggle to see him doing the job Jones does though. Gordon can do an inferior version of DJ I guess.
Even Jones, much as I like him, is realistically only a mediocre L1 right back. I think that position could well become problematic for us quite quickly if we fail to bring someone in before Tuesday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Even Jones, much as I like him, is realistically only a mediocre L1 right back. I think that position could well become problematic for us quite quickly if we fail to bring someone in before Tuesday.
Mediocre is harsh. But it does seem an issue that we are reliant on his ability to get up and down.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 am
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mediocre is harsh. But it does seem an issue that we are reliant on his ability to get up and down.
Do you think he is an above average right back at this level?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:40 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:06 am
Delf apologises.

Per Iles’ ratings, looks like Lee is the only “replacement” who really seized his chance… but if course he didn’t from the spot.

Disappointed but not distraught. I do worry about Delf but Evatt is clearly not the type to push people out so I suspect he’s here for the duration.
He's the type of experienced player and seemingly decent guy that managers might fancy on loan though. No pushing required.

I'm disappointed too like you but obviously its not the end of the world. I don't get the 'it doesn't matter at all' argument. Mate was watching Crewe at a sold-out Elland Rd last night, would've been great to have something like that next round, but lots to play for and the season has started well.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:46 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:37 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 am
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Do you think he is an above average right back at this level?
Of his type then probably yes. He was absolutely critical to beating Oxford. They couldn’t cope with him. His running up and down the line puts him right up there. We know defensively there are better but if his delivery into the box was more consistent he wouldn’t even be here.

I’d take Kioso in a flash as I believe he is genuinely outstanding but doesn’t look like that would happen.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:51 am

The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm less concerned about Jones than I am about the backup we have. Maybe Johnstone, Aimson, Brockbank, etc. are intended on filling in and covering that role.

Jones is frustrating to watch at times as his final ball is often wasteful but the sheer number of times he's involved in play is remarkable. He definitely puts a shift in and keeps going and going.

More often than not, for every assist coming from the right side, there's a darting run, or bit of dynamic movement by Jones that opens up the opposition. He's not getting the goals or the assists but he does seem instrumental.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:54 am

Fair enough, you’ve seen more games than me this season.

Like I said, I like him, and he’s as hard working and honest a player as you could want, but at the same time, whilst I’m not worried about him starting for us, I’d like another good player competing for that spot.