Taking a punt up the Abbey. V Cambridge away, 28-08-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Taking a punt up the Abbey. V Cambridge away, 28-08-21

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm fine with a midtable season, building the squad and learning lessons. But if so, it would be nice to have a proper go at a cup.

BWFCi said after the midweek pengies defeat that it'd be worth it if we beat Cambridge. We didn't, we lost, and we drew a blank again - only the second time since Evatt's first month that we've failed to score in two successive games. Hopefully when the FA Cup rolls around we'll put out our strongest team, whatever that might be at the time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:35 pm
I'm fine with a midtable season, building the squad and learning lessons. But if so, it would be nice to have a proper go at a cup.

BWFCi said after the midweek pengies defeat that it'd be worth it if we beat Cambridge. We didn't, we lost, and we drew a blank again - only the second time since Evatt's first month that we've failed to score in two successive games. Hopefully when the FA Cup rolls around we'll put out our strongest team, whatever that might be at the time.
Back in July if someone offered you 8 points from first 5 you’d have taken it though.

I think things are bright. Our ‘worst’ performance resulted in a narrow loss yet we had 73% of the ball. I don’t want that to become a habit like but still we’ve started the season scoring goals which was unexpected to an extent. If you really want to be picky the two points dropped against the Wombles is probably the most annoying thing thus far. But id say the start has exceeded expectations so far in terms of our performance in this league. And results wise it’s solid if not spectacular. We can live at this level and who knows if we get the right couple of additions next few days?

But I think for some the start has distorted our reality a bit. We will be competitive. The difference between that and challenging isn’t much and might come down to luck. But heck two years ago this was a dream position and arguably one that a year ago looked impossible. So I fully agree on the FA cup sentiment. Take it seriously. I’m not even sure we’d have beaten Wigan if we’d thrown the full side out given MJ and Isgrove carried knocks and therefore might not have been judged fit. But we lost on penalties. It probably checked momentum but we beat Oxford by the skin of our teeth so at some point we were bound to lose in these tight affairs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Back in July if someone offered you 8 points from first 5 you’d have taken it though.
In July, yes. On Tuesday, less so...

Like you I'm far from disappointed and I think we have headroom to improve, especially with a couple of astute signings - although I think that market will be very very tough. For example, huge-eared Brentford gaffer Thomas Frank has said they want to loan out LW/AM Tariqe Fosu, but I bet there's a queue of clubs for him and similar players.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:48 pm

I think things are bright. Our ‘worst’ performance resulted in a narrow loss yet we had 73% of the ball. I don’t want that to become a habit like but still we’ve started the season scoring goals which was unexpected to an extent. If you really want to be picky the two points dropped against the Wombles is probably the most annoying thing thus far. But id say the start has exceeded expectations so far in terms of our performance in this league. And results wise it’s solid if not spectacular. We can live at this level and who knows if we get the right couple of additions next few days?

But I think for some the start has distorted our reality a bit. We will be competitive. The difference between that and challenging isn’t much and might come down to luck. But heck two years ago this was a dream position and arguably one that a year ago looked impossible. So I fully agree on the FA cup sentiment. Take it seriously. I’m not even sure we’d have beaten Wigan if we’d thrown the full side out given MJ and Isgrove carried knocks and therefore might not have been judged fit. But we lost on penalties. It probably checked momentum but we beat Oxford by the skin of our teeth so at some point we were bound to lose in these tight affairs.
I think the biggest concern is that our wins have come with the likes of Bakayoko in the squad. It's going to be interesting to see whether we have the strength in depth to push on or whether we need to sign more to make us fully promotion candidates.

I suspect we're not a million miles away but at the same time we've got to keep the momentum going.