Taking a punt up the Abbey. V Cambridge away, 28-08-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Taking a punt up the Abbey. V Cambridge away, 28-08-21

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:12 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 pm
We were very disappointing in the 1st Half. MJ was the only player that half who played with any credit, no doubt because he was completely overworked because both Sheehan and Sarc were playing way too high, and Cambridge took full advantage. They were also helped by a very poor John who I thought caused the goal, and Santos who seemed strangely uncomfortable and uncertain.

The 2nd half we were much better because Sheehan became a two with MJ, and so Cambridge were no longer able to play through midfield as it was locked tight. We however never looked like scoring and hoped for some Dapo magic to unlock a very disciplined and hard working defense which almost came but for a good save from their keeper.

A disappointing loss. We need a couple better players to be signed who can add some quality to the team before the window ends or else its a tough mid table battle for us.
Think some perspective on where we are. Two years ago we nearly disappeared. Last season we spent 5 months looking more likely to drop out of the FL than get out of league two.

Mid table wouldn’t be a tough battle it would be a very good season.

Beyond that not quite sure how John caused the goal. Dapo didn’t follow his full back and that cost us. But I’d agree with the rest. We feel a couple light but frankly we are far better than any of us dreamed we’d be two years ago.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:20 pm

Goal was John's fault. Johnston pinned that lump they had up front and John dangled a leg instead up letting it run. Dapo marginally switched off but you don't expect your left back to do that. Hoping it's lack of fitness as DJ has been pretty bobbins when fit this year.

First half was really poor. Passive tentative. Second half much better and v unlucky not to get something out of the game. Sheehan and Daps head and shoulders above of every other attacking player on the pitch. Rico v wobbly. Otherwise fine.

Look short at the top. Isgrove a good squad player but not good enough to start every week.

Worry if we lose Jones too. Him and MJ are least replaceable players I think at the moment. Didn't quite fall for us.

Ref was atrocious but not sure it was the difference.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:20 pm
Goal was John's fault. Johnston pinned that lump they had up front and John dangled a leg instead up letting it run. Dapo marginally switched off but you don't expect your left back to do that. Hoping it's lack of fitness as DJ has been pretty bobbins when fit this year.

First half was really poor. Passive tentative. Second half much better and v unlucky not to get something out of the game. Sheehan and Daps head and shoulders above of every other attacking player on the pitch. Rico v wobbly. Otherwise fine.

Look short at the top. Isgrove a good squad player but not good enough to start every week.

Worry if we lose Jones too. Him and MJ are least replaceable players I think at the moment. Didn't quite fall for us.

Ref was atrocious but not sure it was the difference.
That was my view last week. Those two are very crucial to how we play and don’t think we’ve got any like for like replacements at all. Sticks out like a sore thumb from our squad. And I suspect we won’t be signing backup for them either.

Edit: I’ve seen the goal again and again and I honestly do not see how you can blame anyone other than Dapo there. It’s a good goal they move it quickly and Dapo has just switched off momentarily. DJ needs to do more? Not sure what he can do there. Found the gap in front of back four and dragged full back in. That’s our weakness really.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Or John. He hasn’t started well at all - think he’s carrying injury and it will come but we’re missing the player from last season at the moment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:34 pm
Or John. He hasn’t started well at all - think he’s carrying injury and it will come but we’re missing the player from last season at the moment.
Liam Gordon is not as good but he is a similar footballer to DJ in that he’s an up and down the line full back probably more comfortable going forwards than defending.

The point is Brockbank is never doing what Jones does, not even an inferior version of it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:49 pm

CambridgeSean wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:10 pm
Yup I'd say that too...best side we've faced this season. Everyone tipped us for relegation so it's great to get 3 points off you. There's obviously quality in your squad and depth. And you were unlucky not to equalise... but some days those things kinda happen. Big difference between the two sides is that we have Bonner and you have Evatt.....one's a tactical genius, brilliant motivator, gracious in defeat, humble in victory, can out think most managers at this level ,,,and you have the ex Barrow manager. Good luck and all the best :box:
Ha! I quite like that Evatt is so disliked by opposition fans. He just comes out with stuff and doesn't give a shit.
I know nothing about your genius manager, but he's obviously doing well.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:53 pm

CambridgeSean wrote:
Yup I'd say that too...best side we've faced this season. Everyone tipped us for relegation so it's great to get 3 points off you. There's obviously quality in your squad and depth. And you were unlucky not to equalise... but some days those things kinda happen. Big difference between the two sides is that we have Bonner and you have Evatt.....one's a tactical genius, brilliant motivator, gracious in defeat, humble in victory, can out think most managers at this level ,,,and you have the ex Barrow manager. Good luck and all the best :box:
Nice to have a reasonable opposition view. Evatt does seem to rub people up the wrong way, including I guess myself early days. He’s got the arrogance of a very good manager and I suspect he will go a long way in the game. Also think you will comfortably stay up this season. Beating us and Burton at home shows where you are. Very strong side especially at home. Good luck.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:21 pm

Cambridge are odds-on to go down, and I can see that. Showed absolutely no ambition after going a goal up, at home, and are heavily reliant on a 39 year old.

CambridgeSean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CambridgeSean » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:35 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:21 pm
Cambridge are odds-on to go down, and I can see that. Showed absolutely no ambition after going a goal up, at home, and are heavily reliant on a 39 year old.
And that's where you always get it wrong ....we were odds on to finish 18th last year ...happy days...

CambridgeSean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CambridgeSean » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:53 pm
CambridgeSean wrote:
Nice to have a reasonable opposition view. Evatt does seem to rub people up the wrong way, including I guess myself early days. He’s got the arrogance of a very good manager and I suspect he will go a long way in the game. Also think you will comfortably stay up this season. Beating us and Burton at home shows where you are. Very strong side especially at home. Good luck.
Cheers insane....much appreciated and best of luck for the rest of the season...I think you'll be in play offs/promotion spots btw...we're hoping for mid table mediocrity ...it will be grand :shock:

CambridgeSean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CambridgeSean » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:49 pm
CambridgeSean wrote:
Ha! I quite like that Evatt is so disliked by opposition fans. He just comes out with stuff and doesn't give a shit.
I like the fact that no one knows much about him....yup v clever and was never a professional player...one of those. Evatt is obviously a very good manager no doubt but the hissy fits are a bit pathetic when it doesn't go his way...it will be interesting when we go up to the university stadium to return the fixture ...wonder where we'll both be? :shock:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 pm

Don't see Cambridge troubling the top half but they were resolute and defended well tbf. Think we deserved at least a point but there are some baaad teams in this league. Sure they'll have a ropey spell at some point but think they'll have enough to stay up.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:22 pm

CambridgeSean wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:49 pm
CambridgeSean wrote:
I like the fact that no one knows much about him....yup v clever and was never a professional player...one of those. Evatt is obviously a very good manager no doubt but the hissy fits are a bit pathetic when it doesn't go his way...it will be interesting when we go up to the university stadium to return the fixture ...wonder where we'll both be? :shock:
I like this type of manager. Got there by being clever, not just a headline grabbing celebrity ex player appointment.
Yes Evatt can talk some bollocks, and I wasn't keen to begin with, but it makes things interesting.
All the best (apart from the return fixture 😁)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:36 pm

1,499 Wanderers at the game today 👏👏👏
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 am

I've never thought we were promotion candidates and this is exactly the kind of result we need to get used to and not get upset about. We'll keep strengthening.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:41 am

It’s still very early days yet guys and whilst yesterday was obviously a blow it wasn’t terminal. It just proved yet again that we lack a cutting edge and without Baka there was no opportunity to change tactics and go direct. Hopefully IE will resolve that problem before the window closes giving us plenty of time to recover and mount a serious challenge. I don’t agree with those who consider that finishing mid table would be a good result. Most of the teams in L1 are little better than those of last year so if we can find someone to finish the chances we create, we should have no problems finishing in the top 6.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:26 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 am
I've never thought we were promotion candidates and this is exactly the kind of result we need to get used to and not get upset about. We'll keep strengthening.
Aye - coming just before the transfer window SLAMS SHUT might not be a bad thing. What’s Bakas eta, a month? Must be some talent in an academy that would benefit from being in and around the first team picture here. Both full back positions would benefit from serious challenge and a delfonso replacement…

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:49 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:26 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 am
Aye - coming just before the transfer window SLAMS SHUT might not be a bad thing. What’s Bakas eta, a month? Must be some talent in an academy that would benefit from being in and around the first team picture here. Both full back positions would benefit from serious challenge and a delfonso replacement…
Doesn’t seem like there’s anyone in the academy banging on the door right now, perhaps bar that Lockett lad who’s injured.

Loanees at right back and striker, and Crawford and Comley shipped out would do me.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:56 am

The_Gun wrote:
Worked though. They have 3 points we got none.

All about survival. How good was that City away win when Speed scored that penalty?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:56 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:56 am
The_Gun wrote:
Worked though. They have 3 points we got none.

All about survival. How good was that City away win when Speed scored that penalty?
Aye. Table shows them in 10th and us in 13th. Shouldn't get ahead of ourselves...