Taking a punt up the Abbey. V Cambridge away, 28-08-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Taking a punt up the Abbey. V Cambridge away, 28-08-21

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Too easy for Cambridge.

6 at the back and wait till we lose possession in the final 3rd.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm

L: Morecambe 1-0 Sheff Wed

Someone's having a Scarborough moment

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:50 pm

One of those where we could play another 90 and not score.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:50 pm

Baka is a big miss, plus the unknown ameachi. Not the end of the world but disappointing all the same.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:55 pm

My feelings are pretty good….

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Meh

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:57 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:43 pm
We've been miles better second half and should've got an equaliser for our efforts. Doesn't seem like its going to be our day. Professional jobto keep going though from the looks of it.

Good to see Delfouneso coming on. Certainly didn't want to see Delf having that miss playing on his mind. Better to get it out of his system.
Would be a great story if nicks one.
It would. I don't get the impression he's overly keen on shooting however. Almost as if he's shot shy at times. I get the impression he's keen to be a foil for the team to play around.

Ah well. Good second half performance. First half was nowhere near the level we should be playing at and Cambridge just managed to grind it out.

Evatt getting booked at the death too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:00 pm

It just had the feeling of one of those games for the past few days this one. We’ve had a really good start but I suspect the points slightly flatter us. We are today a little unlucky but that’s how it goes.

Shake off dust off and get one or two more bodies in before the window closes.

Personally I’d look at addressing midfield and the forward area as a priority.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:55 pm
How?

We were dreadful. We lost and garnered one shot on target with 75% possession.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

WE lost. What exactly is good about that?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:05 pm

We were all over them second half, should have taken at least a point. Probably need another goal scorer to compete for playoffs, but we’re not far off.

Dapo and Sheehan are both top players and can play Championship football no problem. Dapo I think will end up making us a good bit of cash.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:12 pm

The shots on target stat doesn't do us justice, we had plenty of chances, at least four times the ball was played right across the goal line, many times we just needed a touch or a bounce to go our way. urgh, just one of those irritating games where they nick one and defend for 75mins.

It was clear from last season the Dapo, Doyle and isgrove combo won't score a lot together, it's just not the right combination, we missed bako massively and were sub par for the entire game particularly first half but we were still the better team so it's not a disaster. Would have been second if we'd won.

My biggest concern is Santos he wasn't terrible but way below what we've come to expect.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Just that I had a feeling we would lose. But I mean we’ve dominated the game and lost. It happens. 73% possession. But we didn’t deserve to lose whereas last week probably didn’t deserve to win. Way it goes.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:15 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Just that I had a feeling we would lose. But I mean we’ve dominated the game and lost. It happens. 73% possession. But we didn’t deserve to lose whereas last week probably didn’t deserve to win. Way it goes.
But not the way it should go. We ( Bolton Wanderers) hit a post, missed a couple of good chances, had two handball shouts ignored, had 73 plus percent possession and, from the sound of it, played against twelve men. If it's okay with you, I'm feeling a bit sore. All that shows in the stats column is "lost". I'll get over it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:51 pm

We started too slowly and looked as shaky at the back as we did this time last year. Santos was really poor in possession but kept being given the ball, which meant it was slow sideways passes and lack of movement that never suggested we were going to open them up in the 1st half.

Lots of effort in the 2nd half but they were content to let us have the ball on the halfway line, fairly confident that we wouldn't break them down.

Putting it down to just a bad day at the office. We can and will play much better.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:15 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But not the way it should go. We ( Bolton Wanderers) hit a post, missed a couple of good chances, had two handball shouts ignored, had 73 plus percent possession and, from the sound of it, played against twelve men. If it's okay with you, I'm feeling a bit sore. All that shows in the stats column is "lost". I'll get over it.
Pretty disappointed with it myself. But I guess we will have more weeks like this. Also games where we are on the right end of a fine margin too.

Not much to worry about in my view though a couple of extra additions would be nice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Well, if it's any consolation I've just had a couple of Cambridge fans tell me that we were the best side they've faced so far this season and they think we'll be "up there" by the end.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 pm

We were very disappointing in the 1st Half. MJ was the only player that half who played with any credit, no doubt because he was completely overworked because both Sheehan and Sarc were playing way too high, and Cambridge took full advantage. They were also helped by a very poor John who I thought caused the goal, and Santos who seemed strangely uncomfortable and uncertain.

The 2nd half we were much better because Sheehan became a two with MJ, and so Cambridge were no longer able to play through midfield as it was locked tight. We however never looked like scoring and hoped for some Dapo magic to unlock a very disciplined and hard working defense which almost came but for a good save from their keeper.

A disappointing loss. We need a couple better players to be signed who can add some quality to the team before the window ends or else its a tough mid table battle for us.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:05 pm

It's a pleasure to think that this is Bolton having an off day. We were really good and deserved something out of the game. A few inches here or there and we score from Doyle and Dapo. Not the end of the world. If we're losing but playing that well then we don't really have much to complain about. We can but hope to be more clinical.

CambridgeSean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CambridgeSean » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:10 pm

Yup I'd say that too...best side we've faced this season. Everyone tipped us for relegation so it's great to get 3 points off you. There's obviously quality in your squad and depth. And you were unlucky not to equalise... but some days those things kinda happen. Big difference between the two sides is that we have Bonner and you have Evatt.....one's a tactical genius, brilliant motivator, gracious in defeat, humble in victory, can out think most managers at this level ,,,and you have the ex Barrow manager. Good luck and all the best :box: