And a Po(r)t o Vale, Papa John please. 7-0clock Unibol.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: And a Po(r)t o Vale, Papa John please. 7-0clock Unibol.

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am
That was my view of it too from the East Lower. How come you were in the North stand? You're not a steward or ball person are you?!!
I'm on the flag-waving team - y'know those massive blue and red ones? Didn't need me on the flag that night, but they did need someone in the stand in case the ball flew into the seats.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
That was my view of it too from the East Lower. How come you were in the North stand? You're not a steward or ball person are you?!!
I'm on the flag-waving team - y'know those massive blue and red ones? Didn't need me on the flag that night, but they did need someone in the stand in case the ball flew into the seats.
Nice one. Hope you're kept busy this season with the flag!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:01 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 am
truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Nice one. Hope you're kept busy this season with the flag!
I was on blue for the Dons game. Those things get damn heavy when they're piss wet through!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 am

Yep that was some rain v mk. Fair play to you!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:46 pm

From Evatt's press conference: Lee is fit and available for selection, John is out with an unspecified but non-Covid illness.

Gordon obviously replaces John and I think Lee starts ahead of Tutte, despite Tutte's reportedly encouraging performance on Tuesday night. The rest of the team picks itself.

I wonder how the return of last season's central midfield three will impact upon on our performance, and whether it might give Evatt food for thought on future selection / formation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:46 pm
I wonder how the return of last season's central midfield three will impact upon on our performance, and whether it might give Evatt food for thought on future selection / formation.
Aye. He acknowledged this week that we had inverted the midfield triangle - instead of two behind one (MJ +1, often Lee, behind Sarce) it has this season been one behind two (MJ behind Sarce and Sheehan).

On Tuesday this reverted back, with Tutte and Thomo the deep double pivot (behind effectively four strikers). Evatt fought shy of saying this is because MJ does the work of two men, but I did wonder whether there would be games this season in which we’d play a safer double-pivot system against tougher opponents. Ironic then that it happened against a Fourth Division team but you do wonder, with Sheehan out on Monday and no real direct replacement, whether it will tweak back.

Then again Lee is at heart a box-to-box player, so maybe he’ll just do both…

Evatt in the presser: “I think we’re just trying to find a balance to be honest. When we were keeping clean sheets and winning 1-0 last season, that wasn’t enough either, so it then boils down to that we’re not scoring enough.

“We do have to find balance, we are in a new division, we are still finding our feet in this division, and we are doing all we can to keep improving.”

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 am

Declan John’s starting to worry me a bit. Is this why he hadn’t played properly for a couple of years - is he stretching himself more at a higher level? Appreciate it says illness but I don’t think he missed any pre season and I’m not sure he’s finished a game properly yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:10 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 am
Declan John’s starting to worry me a bit. Is this why he hadn’t played properly for a couple of years - is he stretching himself more at a higher level? Appreciate it says illness but I don’t think he missed any pre season and I’m not sure he’s finished a game properly yet.
He was carrying an injury into end of Pre season wasn’t he? Don’t think it’s something I’d worry about. It happens. Niggly injuries and illness often they disrupt you when you don’t want.

Heard Gilks was pretty badly impacted by COVID this summer so that might explain why he has started sloppily. I’d say in general we as a club will now have a lot of patience and our fans need to do likewise. Some players might struggle for a year with injury or loss of form or COVID or whatever. But we show patience and help them. We are no longer able to go and just splash out to sign better than our competitors.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:17 pm

I don’t see an issue on Monday, Lee comes in for Sheehan and resumes his very successful partnership with MJ and Gordon fits in nicely in place of John. In fairness I’ve been really impressed with Gordon and if John’s struggling I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a run of games to gain more confidence and see if he’s up to it. It’ll be a tough game but one we need to be winning with some even tougher games coming up in September.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:51 pm

Good point, could be the making of Gordon. Let's see. John was great when he arrived, but if something is up so let him recover properly.
If it doesn't work then change it.
I think it's a season for that really. Little chance of going up or down. Get the squad right for a promotion tilt next year.