And a Po(r)t o Vale, Papa John please. 7-0clock Unibol.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

And a Po(r)t o Vale, Papa John please. 7-0clock Unibol.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am

In a tin cup preferably....

Just being clever with the title as this is surely a "anything can happen" game. Your guess is better than mine. Strike up the band...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: And a Po(r)t o Vale, Papa John please. 7-0clock Unibol.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:14 pm

Evatt talking about a strong team for this, what with some players having to apologise for Cambridge and us having no game for six days after it.

If I get time and inclination I'll try to dig out the rules to see how many changes we're eligible to make.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 pm

I think maybe this is the Cup to have a tilt at. Not suggesting that we shouldn't have a go at the FA Cup (but that's been won outside the top flight 8 times in its history and I think all but one to a second tier team)

We lost in one of them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 pm
I think maybe this is the Cup to have a tilt at. Not suggesting that we shouldn't have a go at the FA Cup (but that's been won outside the top flight 8 times in its history and I think all but one to a second tier team)
I'm not demanding we win, I ask for a fair crack at a cup run. Rioch never won us a cup. :D

Anyway, I've checked the rules for tonight's competition and basically we're fine. The League insists you pick "at least four" proper players out of the outfield 10, and all but four of ours – Brockbank, Senior, Gordon and Thomason - qualify by one rule or other.

In case you're VERY bored:
https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/t ... ion/rules/
7.3  Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4  Qualifying Player means any Player who:
7.4.1  had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
Jones, Santos, Johnston, John, Williams, Sheehan, Sarce, Isgrove, Doyle

7.4.2  subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;
?

7.4.3  is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
Doesn’t add anyone. Jones, Johnston, Williams, Sheehan, Sarce, Dapo, Doyle (all 6), Dixon (but GKs don't count) and Santos (both 5), John (4).

7.4.4  has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season);
Gilks (but GKs don’t count), Baptiste, Aimson, Lee, Tutte, Comley, Delfouneso, Bakayoko and Kachunga

7.4.5  is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.
Doesn’t add anyone (yet, perhaps, but I doubt anyone we sign today would play tonight even if the League let us.)

7.5  First Team Fixture means the League Competition, Premier League, EFL Cup or FA Challenge Cup (but shall, in the context of Rules 7.4.3 and 7.4.4 only, also include this Competition).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm

I'm a little surprised at this talk of fielding a strong team, as personally I'd see this as a good opportunity to give minutes to the fringe players, whilst still having a good shot of winning.

I'd go:

Gilks

Brockbank Senior Baptiste Gordon

Tutte Thomason

Youngster (Henry?)

Youngster (Fitzmartin?) Kachunga Delf

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:10 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm
I'm a little surprised at this talk of fielding a strong team, as personally I'd see this as a good opportunity to give minutes to the fringe players, whilst still having a good shot of winning.

I'd go:

Gilks

Brockbank Senior Baptiste Gordon

Tutte Thomason

Youngster (Henry?)

Youngster (Fitzmartin?) Kachunga Delf
Yeah same - I would prefer to see a fringe team and some youngsters. These players need to get some minutes. Comley if he's not going for example.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:13 pm

Evatt: “It is slightly different to the Wigan game because we don’t have that journey on the back of it or the short turnaround, there’s nearly a week to get ready and prepared for Burton. There is no reason that the players need to be rested.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:13 pm
Evatt: “It is slightly different to the Wigan game because we don’t have that journey on the back of it or the short turnaround, there’s nearly a week to get ready and prepared for Burton. There is no reason that the players need to be rested.”
I get that but for me its a case of opportunities for squad players and maybe one or two younger ones to play. Lets be brutally honest - does anyone really care about the result tonight? Lose 8-0 for all I care so long as we are injury and incident free.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm
I get that but for me its a case of opportunities for squad players and maybe one or two younger ones to play. Lets be brutally honest - does anyone really care about the result tonight? Lose 8-0 for all I care so long as we are injury and incident free.
Evatt?
“I’m still grumpy because I don’t like losing. I hate it, I despise it, it eats me up. And it was just the manner of the defeat, really, because it was a game we should never have lost.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:25 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Evatt?
“I’m still grumpy because I don’t like losing. I hate it, I despise it, it eats me up. And it was just the manner of the defeat, really, because it was a game we should never have lost.”
I know but manager speak...pre Wigan he wanted a cup run...rested players.....after Wigan....lets be honest the league is what matters.

I just think if we lose he won't really care. He has to pretend to.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30 pm

Would be an unnecessary risk to include Williams. He should be resting up. No point having Tutte if you don't play him in a game like this. Youth/experience duo of him and Thomason.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:39 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:13 pm
They might not need the rest, but they do need to be protected from injury. I recall it was a game in this competition against City's U21s when Crawford got the injury from which he's seemingly never recovered from.

The reserve league also doesn't seem to have started up yet, so for me this should be viewed as a reserve fixture.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lets be brutally honest - does anyone really care about the result tonight? Lose 8-0 for all I care so long as we are injury and incident free.
Come off it. Imagine what losing 8-0 would do to the confidence of even the senior players? After Saturday we need a boost to get back to winning ways, , not a kick in the borax. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lets be brutally honest - does anyone really care about the result tonight? Lose 8-0 for all I care so long as we are injury and incident free.
Come off it. Imagine what losing 8-0 would do to the confidence of even the senior players? After Saturday we need a boost to get back to winning ways, , not a kick in the borax. :evil:
Big picture though - do you remember the scores from this competition last season? I think the reality is - if we lose tonight its forgotten by tomorrow. But Burton on Monday of course is very very important.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:13 pm

If we lose, I won't be gutted. But f*ck it, I want that day out at Wembley, even if it is for a tinpot trophy. I've had a sh*tty 18 months, and I want to see us win something tangible for a change.

Let's go and win the b*stard thing.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:17 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:13 pm
If we lose, I won't be gutted. But f*ck it, I want that day out at Wembley, even if it is for a tinpot trophy. I've had a sh*tty 18 months, and I want to see us win something tangible for a change.

Let's go and win the b*stard thing.
:pray:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 pm

As we discovered last spring, winning is a habit.

As we discovered for the three and a half seasons before that, so is losing.

I can understand why some wouldn't bother with this. I understand, but I don't agree.

I'd consider a couple of changes to protect our least replaceable players - Brocky for Jones, Tutte (cos Lee's out) for MJ, Kachunga for Doyle. Maybe give the auld fella another go in goal. I'd also have a mixed bench with kids/fringe players to call on if it's going well, couple of big hitters if not.

But let's try to win. This game and every game. What else are we here for?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 pm

I can understand why some wouldn't bother with this. I understand, but I don't agree.

I'd consider a couple of changes to protect our least replaceable players - Brocky for Jones, Tutte (cos Lee's out) for MJ, Kachunga for Doyle. Maybe give the auld fella another go in goal. I'd also have a mixed bench with kids/fringe players to call on if it's going well, couple of big hitters if not.

Just to avoid the internet binary twisting what I said. I'd not try to lose or throw the game - I'd just not risk certain players and try to give some time to others. Its not like we go out to try and lose. But if we did - would it matter in the grand scheme? Probably not. That's all.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:01 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Big picture though - do you remember the scores from this competition last season? I think the reality is - if we lose tonight its forgotten by tomorrow. But Burton on Monday of course is very very important.
I'd remember if we lost 8-0!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:35 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 pm

Pretty much where I'm at. Minutes for one or two who might realistically play who need them, protect the really key ones.

I'd go

Gilks,

Brocky, Santos, Johnston, John (I think he needs games, as long as he's not carrying a niggle),

Sarce (though with Sheehan away and Lee a doubt for Monday he wouldn't play 90), Tutte, Thomason,

Isgrove, Kachunga, Dapo
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.