Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Couldn't resist the Burtons angle. A bespoke display from the Whites would be nice. Get at it then... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:03 am

Missed this! Get my thread deleted, apologies.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:17 am

Always nice to be on Sky, and I for one can't wait for the inevitably fascinating insight Keith Andrews is going to bring...

John and Sheehan are losses, but we should be able to cope well enough without them. I think Burton have more injury worries than us from having a quick browse of their forum.

Dixon

Jones Santos Johnston Gordon

Lee MJ

Sarce

Isgrove Doyle Dapo

2-0 Bolton

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am

We've played Burton 5 times lost 4 and drawn 1. So our record could be better.

Its a tough game though tonight but hopefully we have enough. Sheehan's a miss but we'll find out whether Lee makes us a bit more solid I guess, or if we look a bit more like last season without the goal threat two roving number 8's have provided us with thus far.

I'd not be too unhappy with a point to be honest.

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am

Its a tough game though tonight but hopefully we have enough. Sheehan's a miss but we'll find out whether Lee makes us a bit more solid I guess, or if we look a bit more like last season without the goal threat two roving number 8's have provided us with thus far.

You’re easily pleased if you’ll settle for a point Insane, this is a game we can and indeed must win if we want to keep touch with the leaders, especially after throwing away 3 points at Cambridge. Think with Lee back partnering MJ we’ll be much more solid in midfield but with Dapo adding goals to his game this year, we may not miss Sheehan quite as much as we might. I think Burton have injury problems too and after a bright start are wobbling a bit so we might be playing them at the right time. I see us winning this one and I’ll go for 3-1 to the Whites.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:36 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:03 am
Missed this! Get my thread deleted, apologies.
No bother Dibs. No apologies necessary. I'd have left yours but there are quite a few replies so I moved it over here.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:46 am

Burton made some good signings deadline day - hoping they aren’t settled in yet (Jebbison and young lad from Blackburn whose name escapes). One of the form teams if you take their end to last season into account - be a tough one this.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:46 am
Burton made some good signings deadline day - hoping they aren’t settled in yet (Jebbison and young lad from Blackburn whose name escapes). One of the form teams if you take their end to last season into account - be a tough one this.
Jebbison is not available tonight as he's with England U18s.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 am

I have viewing options this evening. One is to go to the match, the other is to help my mate finish off the barrel of Flat Cap from his party on Saturday and watch it on Sky. Hmmmmm :?

Either way, a stout 3-1 victory to us (and a draw in the cricket) #COYWM
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:16 am

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:28 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You’re easily pleased if you’ll settle for a point Insane, this is a game we can and indeed must win if we want to keep touch with the leaders, especially after throwing away 3 points at Cambridge. Think with Lee back partnering MJ we’ll be much more solid in midfield but with Dapo adding goals to his game this year, we may not miss Sheehan quite as much as we might. I think Burton have injury problems too and after a bright start are wobbling a bit so we might be playing them at the right time. I see us winning this one and I’ll go for 3-1 to the Whites.
We've played 5 games - I'm unconvinced our reality this season is pushing the 'top teams' but right now I'm happy if we keep picking up- points and Burton are a good side. For me we've got a really good team but have to accept that plenty of others in this league do too and have stronger depth than we do. We're rebuilding our club so I think we just wait and see how things level out.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I hate those stats :lol: they're always meaningless beyond going back a couple of years, and especially for us where not a single likely starter was here last time we played them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:51 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I hate those stats :lol: they're always meaningless beyond going back a couple of years, and especially for us where not a single likely starter was here last time we played them.
Statistically speaking we're due to beat them....obviously it is as you say a bit meaningless. But I only hate them when its 'team X haven't beaten Bolton in 100 years' you always know what follows....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:56 am

No we're not! It doesn't work like that.

And X wins in 100 years is irrelevant too. It's just rubbish. In fact the only time I can think that has come up this year was Lincoln, and we won.

Occasionally certain teams have an odd effect against others, but it's entirely player dependent, hardly ever lasts longer than a couple of years and never much longer.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:23 pm

Need to be winning this with tougher games to come or we could be in the doldrums end of the month. No way I'll be happy with a point. (Unless we were 3 down with 10 to play :D )

Whitesince63
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Whitesince63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:23 pm
Need to be winning this with tougher games to come or we could be in the doldrums end of the month. No way I'll be happy with a point. (Unless we were 3 down with 10 to play :D )

My feelings on it exactly Lever, if we aren’t looking to beat the likes of Burton, then who do we expect to beat? We should have done Cambridge but didn’t but we did beat two of last years play off finalists. I don’t see Burton as anything special so I’d consider anything less than a win a huge disappointment. I’m afraid I don’t accept this “we need to settle” approach at all. No we don’t, we have a squad more than good enough to challenge for promotion and once everybody is fit I don’t see too many to be worried about, home and away. A win tonight takes us to 3rd so that’s where we need to aim, not accepting a draw. COYWM we can do this.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:45 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:23 pm

My feelings on it exactly Lever, if we aren’t looking to beat the likes of Burton, then who do we expect to beat? We should have done Cambridge but didn’t but we did beat two of last years play off finalists. I don’t see Burton as anything special so I’d consider anything less than a win a huge disappointment. I’m afraid I don’t accept this “we need to settle” approach at all. No we don’t, we have a squad more than good enough to challenge for promotion and once everybody is fit I don’t see too many to be worried about, home and away. A win tonight takes us to 3rd so that’s where we need to aim, not accepting a draw. COYWM we can do this.
Difference between saying I'd not be unhappy with a point and playing for one. I'm simply saying we are a newly promoted side with a strong looking 13/14 but perhaps less strength in depth than some of the teams who've been in league one longer. You can also say that one or two areas of the team are still in transition at this level. Burton will be saying 'we should be beating Bolton they were league 2 last season'. That's how it goes.

I think we need to win wherever we can but I'd let the season settle before we proclaim our quality - early results often can be a bit misleading. I expect us to do ok but top 3 is probably for me unlikely given our resources and current squad. There are good teams and we've already seen for example Oxford with a few injuries come here and give us a really good game. I suspect every game this season will be tight and we'll come out of some on the right side and others not. I doubt we'll see many batterings.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 pm

COME ON YOU WHITES...!

ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:17 pm

Beginning of September 2018, after five games (W3 D1 L1), we were third in the division above

Of the remaining 41 games, we won five, drew seven and lost 29

It’s lovely that people are excited but I shan’t be ordering the bunting just yet

COYWM

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:24 pm

Hoping we can win but as Insane says, a point wouldn't be the end of the world. Don't be fooled by their stature, they're a good side these. I'm still unsure whether we are too yet but we're traveling in the right direction.

1-1 Doyle
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 am
I have viewing options this evening. One is to go to the match, the other is to help my mate finish off the barrel of Flat Cap from his party on Saturday and watch it on Sky. Hmmmmm :?

Either way, a stout 3-1 victory to us (and a draw in the cricket) #COYWM
Hope you're better picking fitbaw. :-) Need to try and win our home games and sure we shall be trying. Happy with any sort of win, kicking next door's cat with a loss...