Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will made to measure suit us? V Burton at the Unibol 8-0'clock Monday.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:08 pm
Last season we found a way without ever really scoring a lot. Indeed we scored one of the lowest totals for a promoted team. I suspect that we will score more this season but I doubt we will hit 80 or anything stupidly high. Blackpool finished third and went up via the play offs with 60 goals. I’d say we should be able to hit 60.
Hopefully. Blackpool conceded very few, too, and (again barring the first two games) we’re doing OK there. Which helps…

We were unlucky to lose at Cambridge and unlucky not to beat Burton. We’re having a lot of shots but not a lot of accurate ones, and having the highest xG should mean we have the highest goal total, otherwise we’re underachieving.

Away from the stats, the evidence of the eyes is pleasing and promising. As you say, time to enjoy it really.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 pm

Last year's League 2 second top scorers finished in 18th. No point scoring 4 every week and letting in 5.

We scored 2 less than the Champions. 14 less than the team above us (which created a 1 point difference) and 10 less than the team below us, who were - well - below us and got up via the tough route.

As DSB said, this year, 6 goals got us 2 points, 3 goals got us 6.

You can get 138 points with 46 goals (and of course I know that ain't happening).

If memory serves we scored more than anyone from Jan to end of season...

Whilst much has been said of our stylish attacking play, you still don't go too far wrong keeping the oppo to nil. (Although for balance you could concede 46 and go down with zero points :-) )

Balance works for me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:35 am

I think better players obviously help but the system change is the biggest factor. I wrote a long post when we changed system about how there was a tension between pressing high and playing a 352 because it's really hard to smother the full backs who were the out ball. The main difference between the Evatt 451 and the Parky one is that we press high. Controlling possession nicely compliments it. The more of the ball you have the less pressing you have to do, and by pressing you keep them pinned in so their forward(s) are isolated and you keep more of the ball. Dapo and Isgrove work really hard off the ball but they do it much higher than Parky's teams did. You don't (relatively, as) often see them back on the toes of the full backs.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Last year's League 2 second top scorers finished in 18th. No point scoring 4 every week and letting in 5.

We scored 2 less than the Champions. 14 less than the team above us (which created a 1 point difference) and 10 less than the team below us, who were - well - below us and got up via the tough route.

As DSB said, this year, 6 goals got us 2 points, 3 goals got us 6.

You can get 138 points with 46 goals (and of course I know that ain't happening).

If memory serves we scored more than anyone from Jan to end of season...

Whilst much has been said of our stylish attacking play, you still don't go too far wrong keeping the oppo to nil. (Although for balance you could concede 46 and go down with zero points :-) )

Balance works for me.
And the other side of your equation last season, from Jan we conceded *miles* fewer than anyone else.

I take DSB's point that in the last two games we haven't scored, but we've also only conceded one real chance (which unfortunately went in!) and created plenty. Sometimes it doesn't drop for you. Keep playing like that all season and we will be right up there.

I've had "thoughts" in depth on xG here before :D it is *not* a stat. It's an opinion. I also can't bear the nonsense cloak of authority they try to give these things (ah yes, to two decimal places). But it isn't worthless, and adds some probability based analysis and I reckon over a period of time is going to be better than the naked eye. Had us at 2.5 against Burton (to their 1) and the way it works i *think* would have excluded Lee's perfectly good goal and wouldn't have accounted for the penalty either. Burton was fine.

And another clean sheet.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:57 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:29 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:05 pm
I miss the Phil Brown curling chip up the right flank. Need to get that into Gethin's 'content'. 😁
Other than for Peter Nicholson, perhaps, I can't think of another RB of ours who I'd ever be asking players to replicate less.
Nicky Hunt,, :D
A fine young full back until coached by Brown to nice person it one diagonally to the back post every time. "So, Nicky, you might be in the England under 21's but this is how I used to do it at Halifax" :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:48 pm

Steve Mcanespie?
Not a joke - when he came on to make his debut (against Reading, I think) I honestly thought he was the mascot. :oops:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Steve Mcanespie?
Not a joke - when he came on to make his debut (against Reading, I think) I honestly thought he was the mascot. :oops:
two things I best remember about McAnespie.

The first is how happy he looked in the pre-season friendly at Queen of the South when we unveiled his song predictably based on the Macarena, a contemporary chart earworm that I’m saddened to note refuses to die a quarter of a century on.

The second is when I saw him swish down the Manny Road in a soft-top Beemer with a personalised reg plate, and suddenly it seemed a different world to the one we’d recently left…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Steve Mcanespie?
Think it was QPR but it was honestly shocking at the time that we'd broken (by more than doubling) our transfer record on a midget from Raith bloody Rovers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:25 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Steve Mcanespie?
Think it was QPR but it was honestly shocking at the time that we'd broken (by more than doubling) our transfer record on a midget from Raith bloody Rovers.
Raith were certainly beneficiaries of Premier League trickledown, and the fee was evidence that fools and their money are soon parted, but we’d already signed Gerald Taggart for £1.5m. I also remember the fee for Courtney Huw Fairclough being £1.5m, although Wikipedia quibbles.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:35 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:49 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
I miss the Phil Brown curling chip up the right flank. Need to get that into Gethin's 'content'. 😁
Other than for Peter Nicholson, perhaps, I can't think of another RB of ours who I'd ever be asking players to replicate less.
Danny Butterfield.
Good grief.
I had the pleasure of seeing his and Moxey's debuts at Leicester and Watford respectively.
Like comparing a boiled shit sandwich with a fried shit sandwich!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:25 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Steve Mcanespie?
Raith were certainly beneficiaries of Premier League trickledown, and the fee was evidence that fools and their money are soon parted, but we’d already signed Gerald Taggart for £1.5m. I also remember the fee for Courtney Huw Fairclough being £1.5m, although Wikipedia quibbles.
Yeah fair point. Wasn't a record. Still our second biggest signing at the time...in our history. Roy McFarland special....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:35 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:49 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Danny Butterfield.
Good grief.
I had the pleasure of seeing his and Moxey's debuts at Leicester and Watford respectively.
Like comparing a boiled shit sandwich with a fried shit sandwich!
Moxey's still (and hopefully forever will) stick out to me as being the worst debut ever. I rate it as being worse than that of Cid because Freedman knew all about him from Palace before signing him. I still to this day feel like he owes me money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Fine margins. Had we scored Monday, we’d be third. We’re doing most things right. Saturday is a difficult game, though. If we’re still joint second highest scorers after that I’ll be a happy lad. If we’re still joint second highest scorers by October I’ll be doing a Snoopy happy dance.
I'm a very happy lad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:07 pm

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:02 pm
Fine margins. Had we scored Monday, we’d be third. We’re doing most things right. Saturday is a difficult game, though. If we’re still joint second highest scorers after that I’ll be a happy lad. If we’re still joint second highest scorers by October I’ll be doing a Snoopy happy dance.
I'm a very happy lad.
Honestly don’t think there is much wrong with our attack. It’s the best we’ve had in a long long time. Not perfect. But if I’m happy you know it can’t be bad.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:13 pm

I'm a very happy lad.
Me too. I look forward to you videoing and posting this too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:13 pm
I'm a very happy lad.
As Jarvis said at the end of the first verse of Common People: "I'll see what I can do." :mrgreen:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:18 pm

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I'm a very happy lad.
As Jarvis said at the end of the first verse of Common People: "I'll see what I can do." :mrgreen:
That was about sleeping with him. Back off!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:18 pm
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I'm a very happy lad.
That was about sleeping with him. Back off!
You haven't seen me dancing yet.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Fair comment. I'll reserve judgement.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:18 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
I'm a very happy lad.
Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 18.13.29.png
Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 18.13.29.png (54.54 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
We were joint-second highest scorers, now we're 11th. Nine blanks in the last 13 in league and league cup. Sob.